Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Tert-Butyl Alcohol For Free! (or trade if you want)

TheChemINC - 12-12-2012 at 15:14

yes, i know that there is already a thread on this, but i just received 500ml of tert butyl alcohol. I am willing to give away 100ml of this stuff in 50ml quantities. U2U me if interested. first come, first serve!

tertbutylalcoholpic.jpg - 19kB

[Edited on 12-12-2012 by TheChemINC]

plante1999 - 12-12-2012 at 15:29

What is the price?

TheChemINC - 12-12-2012 at 15:32

well, i would be willing to trade for something.... or free :)

TheChemINC - 12-12-2012 at 15:41

i am going to throw in another 50ml quantity. so there are two more people who can score some Tertiary butyl alcohol!

TheChemINC - 12-12-2012 at 16:06

[Edited on 13-12-2012 by TheChemINC]

TheChemINC - 12-12-2012 at 17:46

ok flase alarm! there are 2 more 50ml quantites left!

and sorry, no international shipping. it is too expensive. I can only ship in the USA.

[Edited on 13-12-2012 by TheChemINC]

Wizzard - 13-12-2012 at 05:43

PM sent! ;)

MrHomeScientist - 13-12-2012 at 06:02

U2U sent as well!

TheChemINC - 13-12-2012 at 06:30

ok now all of the quantities have been claimed! i think i might be getting more t-BuOH so if i do, i will probably be giving more away... so keep a lookout for my posts!

Hexavalent - 13-12-2012 at 08:11

Where are you located, TheChemINC, and where did you get the large bottle originally?

[Edited on 13-12-2012 by Hexavalent]

Mailinmypocket - 13-12-2012 at 08:54

Quote: Originally posted by Hexavalent  
Where are you located, TheChemINC, and where did you get the large bottle originally?

eBay Im assuming... looks like this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/tert-Butanol-Reagent-ACS-99-500-ml-/...

elementcollector1 - 13-12-2012 at 10:10

I hope I have one of the 'claimed' quantities...
Hey, to all you who've sold something before: How difficult is it to ship a small quantity of sodium metal across the country?

TheChemINC - 13-12-2012 at 12:12

elementcollector1, you got the first one!

TheChemINC - 13-12-2012 at 12:13

Quote: Originally posted by Mailinmypocket  
Quote: Originally posted by Hexavalent  

eBay Im assuming... looks like this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/tert-Butanol-Reagent-ACS-99-500-ml-/...

that is exactly where i got it. and i am located in pennsylvania....

Dr.Bob - 13-12-2012 at 20:28

Quote: Originally posted by elementcollector1  
Hey, to all you who've sold something before: How difficult is it to ship a small quantity of sodium metal across the country?

That depends on a lot of things. Mailing it would be illegal, almost certainly. But shipping via FedUp might be possible, but you should be aware that to ship hazmat material correctly requires a Federal DOT license, in most cases. However, there are loopholes for everything, and one is that small samples (I think under 35 grams) of many materials are allowed under the "small samples" rule. I have received it from Aldrich, et al, so it is quite possible to ship it with the correct packaging, but not trivial. I am actually amazed at some of the things that I have been able to order that were shipped via normal FedUp.

But I would guess that most shipping companies would run screaming if you asked them about doing do via their company, if you are not a big company with lots of insurance. The DOT requires $5Million insurance for certain hazmat, like explosives, for example. That is why I don't ship Hg thermometers, it is nearly impossible to do LEGALLY. That does not mean that some people don't do it, just that most are not aware of the laws or ignore them. I personally would not want to try to ship anything hazardous via a shipping carrier, as they are a pain to work with. It is hard enough to just ship glassware.

elementcollector1 - 13-12-2012 at 20:40

Quote: Originally posted by Dr.Bob  
Quote: Originally posted by elementcollector1  

That depends on a lot of things. Mailing it would be illegal, almost certainly. But shipping via FedUp might be possible, but you should be aware that to ship hazmat material correctly requires a Federal DOT license, in most cases. However, there are loopholes for everything, and one is that small samples (I think under 35 grams) of many materials are allowed under the "small samples" rule. I have received it from Aldrich, et al, so it is quite possible to ship it with the correct packaging, but not trivial. I am actually amazed at some of the things that I have been able to order that were shipped via normal FedUp.

But I would guess that most shipping companies would run screaming if you asked them about doing do via their company, if you are not a big company with lots of insurance. The DOT requires $5Million insurance for certain hazmat, like explosives, for example. That is why I don't ship Hg thermometers, it is nearly impossible to do LEGALLY. That does not mean that some people don't do it, just that most are not aware of the laws or ignore them. I personally would not want to try to ship anything hazardous via a shipping carrier, as they are a pain to work with. It is hard enough to just ship glassware.

... Do you mean FedEx?
Yeah, I'm a little reserved about shipping an alkali metal (United Nuclear did, after all, charge a $25 shipping fee for the stuff).
Under 35g is going to be easy, it's probably going to be more on the level of 1-10g in an ampoule.

chemrox - 13-12-2012 at 21:21

I'll give you my ups account. We've never had trouble shipping ups.

elementcollector1 - 13-12-2012 at 21:24

Quote: Originally posted by chemrox  
I'll give you my ups account. We've never had trouble shipping ups.

What've you shipped?