Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Preparation of cyanides

Pages:  1    3    5  ..  8

Magpie - 25-2-2009 at 17:12

I just called my local coin dealer. His price today is $15.90 for a 1 troy ounce silver coin. This equates to $15.90/31.1g = $5.10/10g. Did you slip a decimal point?

My 2 quantitative analysis books don't talk about interferences other than halides, so I can't help you there.

len1 - 25-2-2009 at 18:03

Thanks Magpie.

No I didnt make a mistake, and I generally post only info that I actually know. AgNO3 is not readily available to my home lab (and I have none at work, plus it would be immoral to use an expensive chemical not directly for work purposes). So the only work around I could think of is bying a hand bracelet at the jewler. The best weight/price ratio was for a thick Streling silver bracelet, which at home weighed 10gms. So here you are. I dont think we have scrap silver dealers here.

The cyanate, although the quantitative test showed there is no great amount of it, quantitatively I think will interfer with the test you propose as AgCNO is more soluble than AgCN. The standard method of acidifying, decomposing, absorbing NH3 in acid, neutralising, is not only tedious, but due to the many steps likely inaccurate in the home lab.

Magpie - 26-2-2009 at 14:03

Len1, I don't know if you have seen this or not but a good reference on cyanates is Allen's "Commercial Organic Anaysis," vol. VII, 1913. This is available on the internet.
On p. 539:

"Cobalt potassium cyanate, K2Co(CNO)4 is precipitated in dark blue quadratic crystals on adding a solution of cobalt acetate (or cobalt nitrate with potassium acetate) to a solution of potassium cyanate. The reaction has been applied to detection of cyanate in commercial potassium cyanide."

Further down:

"Silver nitrate forms a white cheese-like precipitate which is soluble in ammonia and nitric acid, thus differeing from silver cyanide."

Based on this last statement it seems that the Liebig method for determining cyanide may be protected from cyanate interference via NH4OH.

len1 - 26-2-2009 at 22:54

Thanks Magpie.

If K2Co(CNO)4 is insoluble the procedure is to add enough cobalt ions to a CN-/CNO- solution until no more percipitate forms. We either need cobalt cyanide to be soluble - or a soluble Co(CN)6 to form preferentially. On checking www.1911encyclopedia.org/Cobalt I find thats only true in a certain concentration range.

If there is a large excess of cyanide one adds the cobalt ions until the percipitate ceases to form. The trouble is knowing when that happens - its would be possible to add too much cobalt so the cyanide is no longer in excess, possibly precipitating the cyanide.

The silver test is also a bit tedious, you have to precipitate the AgCN, filter, dry, weigh the small amount. Then dissolve what you can in nitric acid and repeat, and take the difference - its all prone to error.

The iodine reaction is promissing. No filtration and weighing of precipitates required. I dont know if iodine interacts with CNO.

[Edited on 27-2-2009 by len1]

kmno4 - 27-2-2009 at 14:37

In "References" I have posted article from Berichte.
This article contains some procedure for determination/detection OCN(-) in the presence of CN(-) by reaction with Co<sup>2+</sup>. It is in german and - generally - not clear for me. Unfortunately no-one wants to transtale it. I have an impression it could be interesting.

[Edited on 1-3-2009 by kmno4]

len1 - 27-2-2009 at 14:53

KMnO4 - Why not post it here? Is there a particular reason why not post it in the open?

kmno4 - 28-2-2009 at 14:36

Quote:
Originally posted by len1
KMnO4 - Why not post it here? Is there a particular reason why not post it in the open?

1. Because it is not "wanted translation" section.
2. Because I do not want to post article of unknown (for me) content.
3. Because all contributors of this "cyanide topic" have access to References.

garage chemist - 28-2-2009 at 18:42

I have the Berichte article and will provide an overview of the important sections. Please, if you want an article translated, send me a PN, I don't frequent the Wanted References thread.

If cobalt acetate solution is added to a solution of KOCN, an intense blue color is produced, and slowly large dark blue crystals of a complex salt with the composition "Co(OCN)2 + 2 KOCN" separate.
However, cyanide interferes with this reaction by precipitating sparingly soluble cobalt cyanide in a form that is difficult to filter, and the cyanate reaction in the filtrate becomes uncertain.
Cobalt acetate requires at least 0,5% KOCN in water in order to give the cyanate reaction, upon stronger dilution with water, the blue color vanishes.
Cobalt nitrate is even less sensitive, it requires 1% KOCN in water.
But in alcohol, the reaction is much more sensitive: in 90-95% alcohol as reaction medium, down to 0,0033g KOCN in 100ccm can be detected with cobalt acetate.

As cyanide strongly interferes with the reaction, it has to be removed first, and this is best accomplished by bubbling a brisk stream of CO2 through the solution to effect formation and purging of HCN.
3g KCN, as a 10% solution in water, were found to completely lose their cyanide content upon bubbling with CO2 for 45 minutes.
The resulting solution is the diluted with alcohol to precipitate potassium carbonate and the filtrate tested with cobalt acetate.
If larger amounts of KCN are to be tested this way, most of the cyanide is to be precipitated form the concentrated aqueous solution by adding alcohol, the filtrate sparged with CO2, filtered from K2CO3 and again sparged with CO2 until completion of the cyanide removal.
Then more alcohol is added and the solution tested with cobalt acetate.

With those methods, 1% to 0,35% can be detected in KCN.
The less water one uses for the initial dissolution of the KCN, the more sensitive the cyanate test will be.

Magpie - 28-2-2009 at 22:02

Thanks kmno4 and garage chemist. I think that information is going to be very useful. I tested my KCN solution for OCN- using Co(NO3)2 and KCH3COO and only saw a wispy white ppt.

kmno4 - 1-3-2009 at 03:33

Thanks to G-C for translation.
Unfortunately this procedure requires removing of CN(-) ions :(
If somebody is interested in more "sophisticated" methods of detection/determination of OCN(-) ion - few articles on 4shared.
This is all I could find in chemical databases.
3 articles from Analytical Chemistry, 1 from The Analyst, 2 from Fresenius' Journal of Analytical Chemistry (Z. anal. Chem.) and 1 article from Analytica Chimica Acta (in French). Article from RSC led me to the article from Berichte
hxxp://yyy.4shared.com/file/90120350/80185387/ocn.html

[Edited on 1-3-2009 by kmno4]

McLovin382 - 3-3-2009 at 22:50

Excuse me for maybe being a cyanide chem noob, but I'm wondering about reacting an alkyl cyanide (particularly acetonitrile) with anhydrous NaOH to yield NaCN and an alcohol, according to the formula:

CH3CN + NaOH -> NaCN + CH3OH

Would this work? Or is there a reason that it wouldn't, and what would happen? It looks like a winner to me but I can't find it mentioned anywhere, so I'm assuming that I might be wrong about it somehow.

kmno4 - 3-3-2009 at 23:58

Quote:
Originally posted by McLovin382

CH3CN + NaOH -> NaCN + CH3OH

Would this work?

&#916G of this reaction is +44kJ/mol, so thermodynamic says that it goes but from right to left (apart from possible chemical reasons/reactions). This is too high positive value to be shifted to negative values somehow. At least I think so :)

garage chemist - 4-3-2009 at 00:49

No, it won't work. Alkyl cyanides are hydrolysed to carboxylic acids (acetic acid in the case of acetonitrile) and ammonia when heated with aqueous alkali. They will not release cyanide ions.

Only alpha-hydroxynitriles, called cyanohydrines, will give cyanide upon treatment with a strong base. For example acetone cyanohydrin (2-cyano-2-propanol), when added to an alcoholic solution of KOH, gives a KCN precipitate (very pure KCN at that).
But those cyanohydrins are previously made from the carbonyl compound and HCN, so this is only useful to prepare clean KCN from a crude material (impure cyanide can be used to prepare acetone cyanohydrin by mixing with acetone and acid, then the cyanohydrin is isolated and purified).

Nicodem - 4-3-2009 at 00:58

Acylcyanides (R-CO-CN) also very easily hydrolyse to carboxylic acids (carboxylates in basic) and hydrogen cyanide (cyanides in basic).
Nitriles, or less commonly called alkyl cyanides (R-CN), can not hydrolyse to cyanide unless there is a viable mechanism that makes this route possible rather than the hydrolysis of nitrile group (-CN) itself to the amide (-CONH2) or finally to the carboxylic acid (-COOH). One such is the elimination mechanism, like in cyanohydrins, as described above by garage chemist. This was also discussed a few pages behind.

kmno4 - 4-3-2009 at 05:32

McLovin382 says about anhydrous conditions.
In this case MeCN will not hydrolyse ( it can be deduced also from Nicodem's post). Let's stay more "cyanide" than "nitrile" in this topic.

ps. there is an aldol-like condesation benzaldehyde with MeCN and KOH described in OS. MeCN itself is quite resistant to anhydrous hydroxides.

DJF90 - 4-3-2009 at 07:03

Its called the benzoin condensation. I'm sure details can be found in a textbook.

kmno4 - 4-3-2009 at 09:50

Quote:
Originally posted by DJF90
Its called the benzoin condensation. I'm sure details can be found in a textbook.

"benzoin condensation" it is benzaldehyde + CN(-)
Benzaldehyde+MeCN+KOH is not benzoin cond.

[Edited on 4-3-2009 by kmno4]

DJF90 - 4-3-2009 at 10:06

Sorry read NaCN... not sure what happens with MeCN... Heres the benzoin condensation for those who are interested:

http://www.organic-chemistry.org/namedreactions/benzoin-cond...
http://www.chempensoftware.com/reactions/RXN115.htm
https://themerckindex.cambridgesoft.com/TheMerckIndex/NameRe...

[Edited on 4-3-2009 by DJF90]

octogen - 8-3-2009 at 12:14

One of the important use of HCN was during WW2,By secret agencies of Germany,for “self destroying”.they called it RED ARROW, and it was small glass capsule coated with red rubber.the capsule contained pure HCN ,and it had to be crushed between teeth, which caused coma after 20 seconds and death approximately resulted after 5 minutes.
can anybody help me to get account for FTP ? i asked madhatter but he didnt reply me yet.should i wait?
[Edited on 8-3-2009 by octogen]

[Edited on 8-3-2009 by octogen]

Jor - 8-3-2009 at 13:50

Are you sure about the HCN in ampoules for suicide?

I recall all officers carried an ampoule with KCN crystals, wich they called cyankali, and they would crush it between their teeth when captured by the enemy.

octogen - 9-3-2009 at 12:58

Yes i am sure, and actually this design was very fast acting (better than KCN),and sometimes they conceal it inside butt of cigarette.
I am looking for :Explosives and Bomb Disposal Guide by Lenz,or simillar books about circuit and electronics of bombs (like :eod fbi manual , which i have already), i know there is some in FTP, but i dont have access , can you please help??

benzal - 12-4-2009 at 07:05

Just putting it out there as in most of these synths you end up with a hard to seperate mixture, high cost/hard to find chems maybe it could be made from formic acid (not to hard to make) and amonia (easy). React the two to get ammonium formate then heat to get formamide keep heating strongly to decompose the formamide into HCN and Water vapour. Bubble the reaction stream into NaOH/KOH to get a mixture of cyanide salt and amonia, evaporate off the liquids to get cyanide crystals. Got the idea from wikipedia...

Formamide will begin to partially decompose into carbon monoxide and ammonia at 180°C. When heated strongly, formamide decomposes to hydrogen cyanide (HCN) and water vapor.

I wouldnet want to try this as there will be alot of toxic gasses floating round and I dont need cyanide but if you realy want a small amount of cyanide this could possibly be a starter for further research.

jmneissa - 9-5-2009 at 19:30

Okay so I have read around about cyanide's and all there uses in the lab but where ever I look I always see all the warning about how poisonous and dangerous it is. But the MSDS sheets for everything always over exaggerate the unhealthiness of everything. I wanted to know your guys honest opinion on how dangerous cyanide is and is it something that a amateur chemist should be messing with even if all the proper safety precautions are taken?

Ketone - 11-5-2009 at 09:49

Quote: Originally posted by jmneissa  
Okay so I have read around about cyanide's and all there uses in the lab but where ever I look I always see all the warning about how poisonous and dangerous it is. But the MSDS sheets for everything always over exaggerate the unhealthiness of everything. I wanted to know your guys honest opinion on how dangerous cyanide is and is it something that a amateur chemist should be messing with even if all the proper safety precautions are taken?

Depends a bit on if it's hydrogen cyanide or a cyanide salt, like say sodium or potassium cyanide, but both are very toxic.
The MSDS'es aren't bullshitting you when they say it is.

I wouldn't want to handle hydrogen cyanide without air-tight apparatus in a fume hood / outdoors and I'd prefer a gas mask on top of that...
And I'd never use it (Obviously it should always be generated as needed btw, never stored) in or around my home or any place where others would be at risk.

Cyanide salts are safer of course, but you still should wear good gloves and a dust mask and be sure not to ingest any of it..
And as before - I myself wouldn't want to use it around my home.

It isn't an exaggeration to say that just a little amount WILL kill you. (alteast unless you have antidote)
BTW Just what do you consider "all the proper safety precauations"?

Jor - 11-5-2009 at 14:40

Really, I think salts of cyanide can be handled quite safely. As long as you don't create HCN, and wear gloves and try not to get any CN- solution on the skin, you will be fine.
I myself have 5g of KCN, and use it for transition metal study (metals form complexes with CN-). I use utmost care in handling it. However it's not my scariest chemicals. I more afraid of my 2g of white P and mercury salts.

And HCN is not instant death... 50-100mg are fatal, wich is )assuming worst case) 0,05 g / 27 g/mol = 0.00185 mol

0,00185 x 24,5 = 0,0453 = 45,3 mL pure HCN

Assume we get a 1000ppm concentration (wich is very unlikely, you have to release 1000ml of pure HCN per m3), and assuming you inhale 2L per breath (wich is 2mL HCN), you have to inhale 22 times at 1000ppm to die, round it to 20. Inhaling chlorine at this concentration 20 times would also kill you. So the real danger is acciddntly hoding your nose close to the container and inhaling a very large concentration (1-2%), wich will kill instantly. As long as your keep your lose at distance from the container and use good ventilation (outisde , but prefered is fume hood) it seems that you will be fine...
Ofcourse skin contact with even a single large drop of liquidd HCN may be fatal. It matches dimethylmercury in skin toxicity, as it is absorbed.
Or am i wrong here? I'm just speculating...
One thing is for sure, there are more toxic gasses out there, like COCl2, H2Se, AsH3, etc.

Although 50mg is fatal, it wouldn't surprise me if 10mg can severely injure you...

So I think HCN is a little bit overestimated, but it is still a very dangerous highly toxic gas with poor warning properties for most people.

woelen - 11-5-2009 at 22:43

I am working fairly comfortably with solutions of KCN. Yesterday I did an experiment with nickel/cyanide complexes (see other thread over here at sciencemadness) and occasionally I do other experiments with cyanide. I always use very small amounts (e.g. 200 mg or so) and keep solutions alkaline. I ALWAYS keep the container of KCN closed. I take out a small amount for the experiment and immediately close it again. This is important, because KCN is hygroscopic and easily absorbs water from air, which leads to formation of HCN and KOH (and K2CO3 in a secondary process by uptake of CO2 from air).

After the experiments, I pour the cyanide solutions in concentrated household bleach. This waste then slowly produces gas (nitrogen) and the cyanide is destroyed within a few minutes. If the waste is free from heavy metals, then it even can go down the drain, because all cyanide is destroyed and it is not more dangerous than bleach.

Working with HCN is something which I don't do in my lab. I have no real fume hood and having HCN around does not feel comfortable.

1281371269 - 15-5-2009 at 15:31

Someone told me that heating superglue gave off cyanide, although he was about 60 so I would expect they use safer superglue compounds by now.

Rich_Insane - 26-5-2009 at 20:04

Well I know that superglue is cyanoacrylate, and it's remained that way for quite a hole. But the energy required to break off that cyanide is quite high, so i doubt it would be possible.

KnooBill - 4-6-2009 at 04:04

First post here, hello. I read all 10 pages of it, and I have the question: HNO3 is a stronger acid than H2SO4, but the latter is not availbable in my country. However on stronger oxidation of potassium ferrocyanide, what will be the products?

entropy51 - 4-6-2009 at 14:50

Generally oxidizing agents such as HNO3 convert ferrocyanide to ferricyanide, and sometimes to nitroferrocyanides, and even further to carbon monoxide.

See Williams' Chemistry of the Cyanogen Compounds, page 88-89.

http://books.google.com/books?id=vW86AAAAMAAJ&pg=PA84&am...

Foss_Jeane - 6-6-2009 at 14:08

Quote: Originally posted by jmneissa  

I'd be more worried about the explosion hazard. HCN is as inflammable as hell, just about any oxidizer will set it off, and it can even self-detonate (by polymerization).

Quote:
The 1-minute inhalation LC(50) in dogs is 616 mg/m(3); in rats and mice, the 5-minute inhalation LC(50) values are 484 ppm and 323 ppm, respectively [Sax and Lewis 1989]. The oral LD(50) in the mouse is 3.7 mg/kg [Sax and Lewis 1989].

-- OSHA

You can find much more toxic stuff being discussed and experimented with in other forums. In another thread, one poster was making ketene and that idgit was actually sniffing to see if he'd made it. The LC(50) is way lower for that than it is for HCN.

Don't take anything you see on the Net as Gospel. Do your own research.

Be very certain you know what you're doing, and if you have any doubts, don't do it.

Use common sense. Having to explain yourself to Fire Marshalls and insurance adjusters isn't a whole lot of fun.

Formatik - 6-6-2009 at 19:12

Quote: Originally posted by KnooBill  
First post here, hello. I read all 10 pages of it, and I have the question: HNO3 is a stronger acid than H2SO4, but the latter is not availbable in my country. However on stronger oxidation of potassium ferrocyanide, what will be the products?

Oxidizers (like Cl2, Br2, KMnO4, H2O2) will convert potassium ferrocyanide to ferricyanide according to Beilstein, citing Brodie, Pogg. Ann. 120, 302; Weltzien, Lieb. Ann. 138, 142. Warming with HNO3 gets the red salt also, and then nitroferrocyanic acid. It can be a bit tricky though according to Weltzien, Lieb. Ann. 136, 166 H2O2 will lead the ferro salt to ferri, but the ferri compound is reduced by H2O2 to the ferro salt! Using an excess of Cl2 will convert the ferrocyanide to Berlin Green (Beilstein).

I used conc. H2O2 before against an alkali ferrocyanide. I wasn't able to isolate ferricyanide because I likely added too much conc. H2O2 and let it sit a long time outside (few days), ending up with a pitch dark blackish-green solution. Although sodium and potassium ferricyanide are red, at least the latter's solutions are also known to be olive-green in color, but I'm not so sure it should be this dark, this must be the ferric ferricyanide compound, Fe3(CN)8.4H2O, "Berlin Green").

[Edited on 7-6-2009 by Formatik]

Jor - 8-6-2009 at 14:31

I really want to make more KCN, as I only have a few grams and it's very interesting stuff, especially to make complexes.

Today I tried to make some KCN. I used the method of leading HCN ethanolic KOH. I always tried to avoid this route, but I decided it is really the best and cleanest method. I took safety precautrions:
Fume hood (I tuned the motor to speed 2, I usually use 1), lab coat, think latex gloves and goggles.

3,5 grams of potassium ferrocyanide were put in a erlenmeyer, together with 30mL of 3-3,5M H2SO4. A tube adapter was connected, followed by a plastic tube leading to another glas tube (the ones you do in gas wash bottles), and this was lead into the ethanolic KOH. It was put at the surface, if suckback would occur, it couldn't reach the HCN generator). To prepare this, 3,5 grams of KOH were added to 40-45mL of absolute ethanol and stirred. Not all dissolved. The insoluble material was K2CO3 as it fizzed when 2M HCl was added after deacnting the ethanolic KOH.

I turned on the hot plate, stirred both solution with magnetic stirring (I have 2 ;) ) and there was a slow gas evolution, but no bubbles. It seemed that no bubbles were formed as all HCN instantly dissolved at the tip of the tube . After 10 minutes I closed the sash and I went watching TV. Nothing could go wrong, as would suckback occur (wich is not possible as long as the heat is on) the ethanol would not be able to get in the flask.
After one and a half hour (23:00) I came back (I came checking the experiment a few times for few secs to control if nothing went wrong) . Some white precitipate had formed but very little. The reaction flask was green, because there was a green precitipate (???) .

I was puzzled and quite pissed off, as I though it failed and I have only a few grams ferrocyanide left. I stopped the experiment. I started cleaning everything up. The very little precitipate formed was not compact and it was very hard to decant. I didn't bother setting up a filter and such for maybe 100-200mg of product.
I put all solutions and rinses in a large beaker and made alkaline with 10% NaOH. Next bleach was added, and I will dispose of it tomorrow.

SO what did I do wrong? Should I just keep heating for a much longer time? Did I overheat? The temperature was around 80-90C all the time, one time even 100C. I'm quite surprised it didn't work.

Any tips?

[Edited on 8-6-2009 by Jor]

[Edited on 8-6-2009 by Jor]

kmno4 - 9-6-2009 at 01:35

"The temperature was around 80-90C all the time, one time even 100C"
Temperature of what ? Solution should be heated up to boiling.
In r.t. or even warmer, reaction is very slow.
Green precipitate (FeK2[Fe(CN)6]), turning blue on air is normal thing. It very, really very slowly reacts with H2SO4 even on boiling.
You should get about 1,5-1,7 g of dry KCN from 3,5 g of (anhydrous) k4ferrocyanide. Probably you will not be able to decant alcohol from KCN beacuse it formes gelly suspensions (but easily filterable).

[Edited on 9-6-2009 by kmno4]

KnooBill - 11-6-2009 at 06:02

Looks as if it will not work with HNO3, and from my chemical knowledge and a fast read of the H2SO4 proccess (the one at the top of Chemistry in General) it is too difficult to try to produce any. If I recall correctly KMnO4 mentioned it could work with H3PO4, however I do not know whether it is obtainable or not. That's the thing that I put at first priority now.

woelen - 11-6-2009 at 12:14

You should use H2SO4 of somewhat higher concentration and the temperature then should not be too high (60 C or so, not more). This reaction, however, is not clean at all. You get side-reactions, such as making (CN)2 and even CO, due to partial oxidation of the cyanide ligands. You need careful control of the reaction conditions.

Jor, if you are running out of ferro/ferri cyanides, there is an almost unlimited supply in Germany from many eBay suppliers (search for "blutlaugensalz"). Just one example:

http://cgi.ebay.de/1Set-Blutlaugensalz-rot-u-gelb-jeweils-20...

But there are plenty of sellers. This is my preferred source for both potassium ferrocyanide and potassium ferricyanide. I use both chemicals quite a few times, also for fun experiments with the kids and for photography toner processes and I already purchased new samples from Germany a few times.

Another source in Germany, which sells chemicals for crystal growing:
http://www.crystalgrowing.com/index_d.htm
Click the "chemikalien" link at the left. Very cheap red and yellow prussiate of potash, 500 grams for only EUR 12.90. Also a few other possibly interesting chemicals. Guarantees for delivery are only given for EU citizens!

Ordering ferricyanides or ferrocyanides is not suspicious at all, despite the fact that cyanide ligand is contained in the chemicals. These are common chemicals in photography and other old art processes.

Jor - 11-6-2009 at 13:18

According to an article posted on this board, H2SO4.16H2O to H2SO4.18H2O is ideal concentration giving quite clean HCN.
Roughly, this is 3.0-3.5M right?

Are HCN , or cyanide solutions in general (either in water or ethanol) absorbed throught the skin? That might be a good thing to know. I long wore latex gloves just in case, but is this necessary? Or aren't these suitable?

Thank you woelen for the sources. Especially the crystalgrowing site is very interesting. A bit too large quantities for my taste but there are some pretty interesting chems. Sodium bromate (I have potassium bromate, but this is quite insoluble) and nickel sulfate. The latter is quite expensive at most sources but here it is very cheap.
Are these chemicals pure? I guess they would need to be, as it a requirement to form very nice crystals AFAIK, but I;m not sure.

Foss_Jeane - 16-6-2009 at 01:35

Quote: Originally posted by Jor  
Are HCN , or cyanide solutions in general (either in water or ethanol) absorbed throught the skin? That might be a good thing to know.

Yes and yes. Remember: Google is your friend.

KCN

Sakamura - 22-9-2009 at 03:03

KCN

Thank you to you all for the info on this board, it has been a great help in understanding what to do safely (or almost safely :) )

I am interested in making KCN preferably with Potassium Ferricyanide and H2SO4, which I can buy, as it seems much cleaner than Ferrocyanide. Just a few grams is all that is needed for further experiments. (No I don't want to kill myself. I am a Medical Doctor and can do that in many more simpler ways).

I am obsessed with purity so bubbling HCN through a solution of absolute (95%) ethanol and KOH, filtering under vacuum then drying under Vacuum and CaCl2 at rt seems the way forward. Unfortunately I can find little/no information on this. Everyone seems to use ferro in a tin can which seems to me bound to be impure but good enough for most purposes I suppose.

My set up would be outdoors wearing a Hazmat suit and SCBA (no fume cupboard) which I can 'borrow' from a friend at work who does virology. First injecting chilled H2SO4 into a 2L RBF then immediately sealing it with a rubber bung with a thermometer though it and then heating to 60 C in a water bath via a gas burner. This would be connected to a Liebig condenser feeding through a water trap into another much smaller RBF containing ethanolic KOH in an ice bath with the outlet connected to a long hose pointing down wind and possibly into a concentrated bleach bath. I am not sure about adding a vacuum aspirator as it would involve yet more connections and leaks even sealed with silicon grease.

This seems relatively safe and the area is quite isolated. But I have no idea of the amounts or reagents required to make say 4g. I have been away from a lab for a few years now and expect things to go wrong and have a bad yield :(.

I can source lab grade Ferricyanide, 95% ethanol, KOH pellets, and amazingly 98% Sulphuric acid (but no lower concentration).

I am not good at working out the dilutions to get this to work and from what I have read its not simple. Despite extensive searching I cannot find any instructions on the net so here I am begging for help. Any feedback as to the proposed set-up and amounts/concentrations of the reagents would be much appreciated.

chloric1 - 22-9-2009 at 05:45

WTF! A medical doctor that can't work out simple dilutions? I can do it but I am nowhere close to the skill level of a doctor or a practicing nurse for that matter. Why don't kill the bullshit and tell us what is the REAL story.

entropy51 - 22-9-2009 at 05:59

He's asking for a KCN recipe on his first post, and his bio is confused, to say the least.

Quote:
Did Chemistry, Physics and Biology A levels. Wanted to go on to do Chemistry but was dissuaded so did a BSc in Cellular and molecular Biology instead. Qualified as a Doctor and have since done various jobs including a lot of Histopathology lab work (which involved handling some pretty hazardous stuff). So I am comfortable around a lab and working with potentially potentially things. I know a lot about cellular chemistry but not much general chemistry especially physical. I have never lost my interest in chemistry but I never had the time to do any, now I have. As you can see I am a rank beginner so please give me a break and don't flame me if I ask something stupid or elementary.
He describes training and experience, then says he's a rank beginner.

chloric1 - 22-9-2009 at 06:39

kewl or terrorist? Also, note he did not read the thread since most if not all his questions are already answered. Quite suspicious I am.

@moderators- Crazy idea but it just might protect the forum. How about password protection for certain informative threads? More specifically this one on cyanides. I realize the argument that every exploration in chemistry has the potential for harm but this forum being in the news for teaching would be terrorists to make cyanide gas bombs is not the publicity we want. So far, what little media coverage I have seen regarding Science madness has been in a positive light. Lets keep it that way. I suggest after 25 posts that contribute to the development of this forum should qualify for a password.

[Edited on 9/22/2009 by chloric1]

dann2 - 22-9-2009 at 08:21

Table salt is packed with Sodium Hexacyanoferrate II as an anti caking agent (to stop you making cakes I presume :P). What percentage is used?

EDIT:
Perhaps this:
http://research.transportation.org/sites/research/docs/tsran...
answers my question.

Dann2

[Edited on 22-9-2009 by dann2]

sonogashira - 22-9-2009 at 08:32

It is a very small percentage I think dann2 - not a useable amount.

(And what a nasty & paranoid welcome for someone who writes a very sensible first message :( - Fear and mis-trust clouds the senses)

chloric1 - 22-9-2009 at 12:39

Distrust in good measure sonogashira. His first post was asking about making KCN and he seems very inconsistant. He is a docotr but unalbe to figure something as simple as dilutions. This forum is about GIVE and take and about taking some steps on your own. Its only fair since many members here figure out how to prepare hard to get reagents by the sweat of there brow and using there own pocket books.

Furthermore, Sciencemadness is one of the longest running and most usefull resource for the home chemist online and we must be diligent to protect its integrety. I welcom our newest guess but wish he would be upfront with his intentions.

entropy51 - 22-9-2009 at 13:55

Sonogashira, don't you find it a little odd that someone wants to begin their new chemistry hobby by making KCN?

And that someone who says he is "comfortable around the lab" apparently can't do simple chemical calculations?

And that someone says they want to make 4 grams but plans to use a 2 liter flask???

I wouldn't convict him based on these things, but I wouldn't help him either. As chloric1 said, the information is already posted for anyone knowlegeable enough to attempt making HCN. If they need further help, they probably shouldn't try it.

[Edited on 22-9-2009 by entropy51]

JohnWW - 22-9-2009 at 14:34

The name "Sakamura" sounds Japanese, like "Sonogashira"; but his talking about "A Levels" suggests that he is in the UK, not Japan. He had better not let Scotland Yard or MI5 know about his intentions!

entropy51 - 22-9-2009 at 14:38

Quote: Originally posted by JohnWW  
He had better not let Scotland Yard or MI5 know about his intentions!
I assume they know everything posted here, don't you?

Wow

Sakamura - 22-9-2009 at 17:49

I did not think I would get this type of response! Yes I assure you I am a Dr trained in the UK. We never make solutions everything is pre packed and pre measured. It's not like Victorian times. You do not make up a solution of normal saline by adding NaCl to water - you pick up a bag of it. Same with drugs, if it's a solution you pick up a vial with it all pre made. On extremely rare occasions (I have never had to do it) when a solution needs to be made up the pharmacist does it for you. You seem to have a distorted Idea of what a modern Dr's job entails. Even the Formaldehyde solutions used in specimen fixation in histopathology were pre made.

No my questions have not been answered already as it is mainly about Ferro not ferri.

A molecular and cellar biology or pathology lab is completely different to a physical chemistry lab. I am comfortable in the former but not in the later (sorry for that misunderstanding), so as far as physical chemistry goes I am a beginner.

My Bio is not mixed up - actually it's pretty standard. Med school ->intercalated BSc ->Finish med School and do the jobs best suited to your ultimate speciality.

I realised a first post about making something so toxic would raise eye brows and get replies about doing something very safe and very boring first, like growing crystals but not to this extent. To me boring = lack of interest learning nothing and giving it up. The converse applies.

I really thought this board was going to be helpful - obviously I was mistaken and apparently I am not welcome. Oh well Chemistry is not the only thing I am interested in so I will probably abandon the whole thing and move on to another field - which is a pity. At least the government will be pleased there will be one less amateur chemist.

All the best and no hard feelings.

[Edited on 23-9-2009 by Sakamura]

Magpie - 22-9-2009 at 19:10

Please understand our natural reticence to provide a recipe for KCN via HCN to someone so rusty or inexperienced in the art of chemistry. Making cyanides is a preparation we recommend that only highly experienced and knowledgeable chemists try. There are a lot of kewls out there that don't know shit and will try anything. We don't want your premature demise on our consciences. Besides that, it would be extremely bad publicity for this forum - might even get it shut down.

Your approach to using full safety gear and conducting the preparation outside, hopefully with a little breeze, or perhaps a fan, is a good approach. The procedure should be fairly straightforward and I believe is adequately described in this thread.

So, if I understand you right, you are looking for a recipe? You are probably not going to get it in public from this site. Perhaps someone will U2U a recipe.

Can't you just buy it? As a medical doctor I would assume you can buy most any chemical. Is this not true? If you are just shy about having a record of you buying a cyanide...well I certainly understand that.

entropy51 - 23-9-2009 at 05:43

Quote: Originally posted by Sakamura  
I did not think I would get this type of response! Yes I assure you I am a Dr trained in the UK. We never make solutions everything is pre packed and pre measured. ..... You seem to have a distorted Idea of what a modern Dr's job entails. Even the Formaldehyde solutions used in specimen fixation in histopathology were pre made.

No my questions have not been answered already as it is mainly about Ferro not ferri.

A molecular and cellar biology or pathology lab is completely different to a physical chemistry lab. I am comfortable in the former but not in the later (sorry for that misunderstanding), so as far as physical chemistry goes I am a beginner.

My Bio is not mixed up - actually it's pretty standard. Med school ->intercalated BSc ->Finish med School and do the jobs best suited to your ultimate speciality.....

I really thought this board was going to be helpful - obviously I was mistaken and apparently I am not welcome. Oh well Chemistry is not the only thing I am interested in so I will probably abandon the whole thing and move on to another field - which is a pity. At least the government will be pleased there will be one less amateur chemist.

All the best and no hard feelings.

[Edited on 23-9-2009 by Sakamura]

Sakamura, I am an M.D. trained in the U.S. and I agree that we don't normally have to make dilutions.

However, part of that training was in general, organic and biochemistry. We spent much time in the labs and we had to learn how to calculate stoichiometry and perform dilutions.

I have also worked in, and supervised, cellular biology labs. Calculating and performing dilutions was something we did for every experiment because solutions had to be accurately made up. Except for very basic reagents and culture media nothing that we used was available pre-packaged.

I'm sorry that you feel put off because your request was met with skepticism, but had you made yourself known to us before asking about KCN the response would have been different.

Ferricyanide is mentioned in this thread.

Books in the forum library and elsewhere on the web would answer most or all of your questions. The fact that you would give up your newfound hobby because of a single encounter with this forum makes me doubt your seriousness.

If you are really interested in chemistry then stick around and participate in our discussions. Much is to be learned here, and even more so in our library.

If your chemical skills are rusty you absolutely should not practice them by preparing HCN.

chloric1 - 23-9-2009 at 08:14

Agreed. Even in the "good 'ol" days of the 1920's and 30's, most introductory labratory manuals would start you off slow and work up your skills to handle the specially deadly proceedures like cyanide, bromine, HF, and others. We at sciencemadness follow loosely this same approach. Learn manipulations while working with the more benign substances first. Heck you can fill an afternoon playing around with sodium silicate and/or borate:D Personally, I have chosen not to mess with cyanides because I don't feel I have enough safety gear. I feel confident in handling the glassware and equipment but I need to implement a series of safety measured before I can even consider HCN preparation.

entropy51 - 23-9-2009 at 10:18

Hydrocyanic Acid Reference

I have posted a reference on production of HCN from ferrocyanides and ferricyanides in the currently active References Wanted thread in the References section of the forum.

Sakamura - 23-9-2009 at 18:56

Thank you entropy51. Training for a MBBS in the UK or an MD in the USA is obviously very different. I asked a few colleagues if they can do the stoichiometry calculations required accurately and the answer was universally well theoretically yes but I have never done it, why don't you ask a chemist to do it? They do it all the time. I.e. they to would want a check as well, have never done it and are non too confident of their ability to get it right first time. But it does not matter - you are the experts not me, so I will take your advise and put this project on indefinite hold and do much more reading before I attempt anything and it won't be anything as hazardous as KCN .

densest - 23-9-2009 at 20:59

@sakamura - wise to keep cyanides on hold. The great hazard of -CN as with H2S is that it paralyzes respiration very very quickly. H2S is actually more toxic (?10X?) and more common but the smell keeps people from getting killed. Still, some large alga blooms on French beaches this year have killed at least one person and a horse due to H2S emitted during decomposition. Either one can be detoxified if in small enough quantities - emphasis small.

I've worked with cyanides and many other highly toxic materials and am still around to write. Some of it was dumb luck. Most of it was reading what the conditions necessary for toxicity (amounts, pH, compounds, etc.) and a very clear idea of how many little droplets and particles drift from the equipment despite my most careful efforts. You can get away working with almost anything inorganic chemical at 1 - 10mg quantities (with some glaring exceptions) - it's an interesting art getting useful data at that level. A draft away from you into an activated charcoal filter (replaced frequently) can be a lifesaver, along with a big dishpan full of water into which to drop any test-tube which might have a reaction getting out of control. Small test tubes! Disposing of the water later might be a problem. It's a much better problem than going to hospital or the morgue.

Good luck and enjoy your experiments!

Well you have me convinced

Sakamura - 24-9-2009 at 21:38

densest I hate to criticize fellow Dr's but the recent change in training has made things worse not better. I doubt an FP1 or 2 who will try to treat you first at secondary care level even knows about the electron transport chain. If I did it (and now I am not about to) I think if anything went wrong it would be an autopsy job - I have done enough of those and it actually horrifies me.

I had a chat with my old chemistry Master a PHD Chemistry (organic I think) and he agrees with you guy's. This stuff is way too toxic but he was very enthusiastic about teaching and I never had a boring lesson from him. He offered to get me to a safe level using his own lab on weekends but quite justifiably still does not recommend making KCN (although he admits he has done it multiple times himself). All I need to do is pay for the reagents and disposables (gloves etc and glassware that's not to hand) so I still have a chance to drink deep of the Pierian spring without killing myself. This is perfect for me i.e learning under the supervision of an expert instead of 'having a go' and praying.

Thanks for all your advice.

chloric1 - 25-9-2009 at 05:23

That is GREAT news. A REAL lab for you to practice in. I am really happy for you. I have a burning urge to ask what you want cyanide for? Making complexes, electroplating silver? As far as the complexes or organic synthesis you would have to wait. But for silver plating there are thiosulfate and iodide baths. I hear these are more expensive and more difficult to operate.

entropy51 - 25-9-2009 at 05:42

This is perfect for me i.e learning under the supervision of an expert instead of 'having a go' and praying.

Thanks for all your advice.
And you thought we weren't being helpful.

I told you should stick around. Mostly we are not a bad lot.

Sakamura - 26-9-2009 at 00:33

Again thanks for all your advice. I am pretty chuffed now having access to a Physical chemistry lab with some one that knows what they are doing as well as an organic lab. The only downer is that I know he will give me massive amounts of homework to do (or he did when I was at School) which is what is required but I doubt I will feel that way after a long day at work! So I may well be back for help on answering his questions which are never simple.

You all want to know what I want(ed) it for. Well I will give a very short over simplified explanation as it's a cyanide thread and my ultimate aim does not have much to do with cyanides. After I had got comfortable with working with them electroplating etc anything to get me back working comfortably in a Physical Chemistry environment - which is usually fascinating and I am sure I would have lots of fun on the way, all the more so if the thing was not so toxic. I probably overemphasized this in my previous posts. Ultimately (and this would take years including ethics comity approval and probably a grant) I intended to make a tissue stain that differentiates two cell types that wrap up neurons (nerve fibres) Schwann cells for the peripheral nervous system (PNS) and Glial cells for the central nervous system (CNS) without Immunofluorescence which is not cheap, doesn't last and is generally hard to work with, especially if you are double or triple staining. No stain is currently available 'off the self' that will differentiate between them but it can be made and it's main ingredient is KCN - buying it is an option if the lab has a licence, I don't know if it has, but I would be dubious of the purity and learn virtually nothing about chemistry. I did my BSc thesis in nerve regeneration (for the non medics the CNS does not regenerate - think superman dying paralysed, where as the PNS 'has a go' then gives up). I do not have the reference to hand but an Athens search of 'Schwann cell depots in frozen skeletal muscle grafts' will find it. I got PNS nerves with some encouragement to fully regenerate over a 4 cm gap in 3 weeks (although it isn't perfect for esoteric reasons it has been adopted in clinical practice). There are glaring holes in our understanding of nerve regeneration e.g 'why does nerve 1 the olfactory nerve (the one you smell with) regenerate fully with no help when no other nerve does?' I think I know why but I have to prove it. Hence my interest in pure KCN. I just wanted to make a stain, further my understanding of Physical Chemistry, have some fun along the way and hopefully do some good in the process - I realise now I should have explained this from the beginning but I got carried away with the idea. Again thanks for all your advice.

watson.fawkes - 26-9-2009 at 04:37

I intended to make a tissue stain that differentiates two cell types that wrap up neurons (nerve fibres) Schwann cells for the peripheral nervous system (PNS) and Glial cells for the central nervous system (CNS) without Immunofluorescence which is not cheap, doesn't last and is generally hard to work with, especially if you are double or triple staining. No stain is currently available 'off the self' that will differentiate between them but it can be made and it's main ingredient is KCN
Not to pry too much, but is the cyanide differentiation between these two cell types related to some function over and above myelination that one cell type has and the other does not?

Taoiseach - 27-9-2009 at 00:41

This is from "the industry of cyan compounds":

Ammonium cyanide, NH4CN, is a highly volatile flammable crystalline solid that smells like both NH3 and HCN at the same time. Boiling point is 36°C. It is highly soluble in water and ethanol and extremely toxic. Decomposes slowly at RT. It had some applications in industry because it is easily formed by leading dry NH3 over glowing charcoal. The NH4CN was then used to prepare KCN.

Synthesis of NH4CN: Mix 3 parts of potassium ferrocyanide and 2 parts NH4Cl and destill @100°C.
The vapours can be condensed to solid NH4CN.

Also, destillation of 3 parts potassium ferrocyanide, 2 parts NH4Cl and 10 parts water yields a dilute solution of NH4CN.

JohnWW - 27-9-2009 at 02:14

Quote: Originally posted by Taoiseach  
This is from "the industry of cyan compounds":
Ammonium cyanide, NH4CN, is a highly volatile flammable crystalline solid that smells like both NH3 and HCN at the same time. Boiling point is 36°C. It is highly soluble in water and ethanol and extremely toxic. Decomposes slowly at RT. It had some applications in industry because it is easily formed by leading dry NH3 over glowing charcoal. The NH4CN was then used to prepare KCN.(cut)

That method of synthesis, involving partial decomposition of NH3 under high heat over charcoal (presumably in the absence of air), is most unlikely to produce anything like pure NH4CN, and there would have to be some sort of purification. I am fairly sure that other volatile cyano-compounds like cyanamide, NH2CN (especially), HCN, (CN)2, HN=C(NH2)2, HN=C=NH, and possibly H2C=NH and HN=CH(NH2), would also be produced in significant to substantial quantities.

watson.fawkes - 27-9-2009 at 07:02

This is from "the industry of cyan compounds"
Would you provide a complete reference for this? I can't even find the title or any reasonable variants. Is it a chapter title in some other work?

Taoiseach - 27-9-2009 at 07:09

Yes don't even think about it, all sorts of crap would be in the destillate. This method is completely useless. There's more convenient routes to impure cyanide, most of which have been discussed in this thread.

The interesting part is that ferrocyanide+NH4Cl yields vapours of PURE AMMONIUM CYANIDE at a temperature as ridiculously low as 100°C. Besides, 100°C is a temperature most easily maintained by use of a simple water bath :)
Ammonium chloride sublimes at about 300°C so it should not contaminate the end product. What we have here is a method that rips off CN- from ferrocyanide and delivers it in a PURE form. The vapours can be condensed in a flask cooled in an ice bath and then reacted with KOH.

I hope the book doesnt bullshit us and this really works, because it sounds almost too good to be true!

entropy51 - 27-9-2009 at 07:12

The reference may be "The cyanide industry: theoretically and practically considered "
which is available as pdf on books.google.com

Taoiseach - 27-9-2009 at 07:14

Its a German book and available online:

http://www.archive.org/details/dieindustrieder00khgoog

Dunno if theres an english translation tough.

Taoiseach - 27-9-2009 at 08:10

The preparation from ferrocyanide+salmiac is also mentioned on wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ammonium_cyanide

S.C. Wack - 27-9-2009 at 08:52

It's a big jump from

"Le cyanhydrate d'ammoniaque se prépare très facilement par double décomposition. Un mélange de 1 équivalent de sel ammoniac et de 1 équivalent de cyanure de mercure desséché, entrent facilement en fusion à la flamme de la lampe à esprit-de-vin, et dégagent en abondance du cyanhydrate d ammoniaque, tandis qu il reste dans la cornue du bichlorure de mercure. On réussit pareillement, et d une manière plus économique, en substituant au cyanure de mercure le cyanure jaune de potassium et de fer effleuri."
http://books.google.com/books?id=c5s5AAAAcAAJ&pg=PA231

to

ferrocyanide+NH4Cl yields vapours of PURE AMMONIUM CYANIDE at a temperature as ridiculously low as 100°C

The research of Langlois, Kuhlmann, Bueb, Bergmann, Lance, Voerkelius, et al. with ammonia and carbon are known and available if you just search for them. Had the board not deleted the Beilstein file that I uploaded to this thread earlier in this post [why bother uploading anything when my files keep getting deleted, even small ones disappear], you'd be able to see the citations. Google to the rescue.
http://books.google.com/books?id=cR8SAAAAIAAJ&pg=PA40 (NH4CN)
http://books.google.com/books?id=cR8SAAAAIAAJ&pg=PA30 (NH3 + C)

The book mentioned by entropy51 is one of many books available on cyanides and their manufacture, it is a good one http://books.google.com/books?id=qE4wAAAAMAAJ

[Edited on 27-9-2009 by S.C. Wack]

JohnWW - 28-9-2009 at 04:02

Its a German book and available online:
http://www.archive.org/details/dieindustrieder00khgoog

The URLs for direct downloads of it, and full title, are:
http://ia310837.us.archive.org/2/items/dieindustrieder00khgo... 5.30 Mb or
http://ia310837.us.archive.org/2/items/dieindustrieder00khgo... 8.95 Mb
- Die Industrie Der Cyanverbindungen, Ihre Entwickelung Und Ihr Gegenwärtiger Stand - H Köhler (1914)

Taoiseach - 28-9-2009 at 07:42

Reduction of cyanate with C yields cyanide contaminated with carbonate. The books says that pure KCN can be obtained by leaching the fused mass with hot anhydrous ethanol.

Right now this looks like the most promising route to me.

Also cyanate can be reduced quantitatively to cyanide with CO gas at red heat. This seems to work with sodium cyanate only:

1. Sodium cyanate from sodium carbonate and urea: Na2CO3 + 2CO(NH2)2 -----> 2NaOCN + 2NH3 + CO2 + H2O

2. Sodium cyanide from sodium cyanate and carbon monoxide:
2NaOCN + 2CO -----> 2NaCN + 2CO2

About 8grams of 100% formic acid would yield the stochiometric amount of CO to reduce 10,7g NaOCN to 8g NaCN, no losses considered.

Taoiseach - 29-9-2009 at 08:29

Anyone has reliable figures on KCN's solubility in hot ethanol?

All I could find is a vague remark in Vanino's handbook of preparative chemistry, saying its solubility in boiling alcohol is "65%".

garage chemist - 29-9-2009 at 10:27

Ullmanns Encyclopedia says 0,57g/100g in 100% Ethanol at 19,5°C, and 4,91g/100g in Methanol at the same temperature. No other temperatures are given.

I've used Methanol with a Soxhlet extractor to extract KCN from the powdered residue of K4Fe(CN)6 fusion, and the residue from evaporating the MeOH on a boiling water bath in vacuum came out as 85% KCN upon titration with 0,1M AgNO3.

Jor - 29-9-2009 at 11:14

Interesting. You just heated ferrocyanide in a crucible? Is porcelain suitable? Ofcourse the product must be protected from moisture and oxygen, but that is not a problem, I will just cover the porcelain crucible with a porcelain plate. What temperature is required? Is a propane torch suitable?

I don't have a Soxlet, but I guess boiling in methanol with vigorous stirring is sufficient.

Is evaporating without vaccuum also suitable? I don't see why not.
Now the only problem is, how to purify the 85% KCN...
What were your yields?

[Edited on 29-9-2009 by Jor]

entropy51 - 29-9-2009 at 13:51

Interesting. You just heated ferrocyanide in a crucible?

Yep. See this book for this and other ancient but low tech methods: http://books.google.com/books?id=qE4wAAAAMAAJ

JohnWW - 29-9-2009 at 14:38

Quote: Originally posted by entropy51  
Interesting. You just heated ferrocyanide in a crucible?
Yep. See this book for this and other ancient but low tech methods: http://books.google.com/books?id=qE4wAAAAMAAJ

Its title is: The Cyanide Industry: Theoretically and Practically Considered (1906)
Author: R. Robine, M . Lenglen, J. Arthur Le Clerc, Charles Edward Munroe
Publisher: J. Wiley & Sons, 1906

But the book cannot be downloaded from Google, except for a few snippets! Instead, you can download the whole book from this page:
http://www.archive.org/details/cyanideindustry01munrgoog

The actual URLs for downloading it are:
http://ia331411.us.archive.org/2/items/cyanideindustry01munr... 13.8 Mb or
http://ia331411.us.archive.org/2/items/cyanideindustry01munr... 20.4 Mb

entropy51 - 29-9-2009 at 14:58

But the book cannot be downloaded from Google, except for a few snippets!

You're full of it, JohnWW, or maybe they don't let people in New Zealand have access to dangerous things like chemistry books.

When I click that link there's a button to download PDF, and I did that just now.

Off your meds again?

S.C. Wack - 29-9-2009 at 15:46

That problem and its solution have been discussed time and time again, even in this thread. Like it needs to crawl across the top of the screen in flashing red or something.

Simple heating of ferrocyanide to just below red heat is wasteful of CN, since some nitrogen is lost. Needless to say, the ferrocyanide must be quite white first.

It was just last night that I threw away a shelf near where I had ground dried ferrocyanide on years ago, the blue stains that eventually showed up were still there.

So anyways as some have found, the distillation from H2SO4 is less than theoretical. The addition of CuCl has been recommended - CA 6, 2375 (1912):

A New Method for the Estimation of Ferrocyanides. H.E. WILLIAMS. J. Soc. Chem. Ind. 31, 468-71 [1912] The limitations and errors of the methods in general use are discussed and the following method given: Dissolve 0.5 g. of the ferrocyanide in 100 ml. of water, transfer to a 250-300 ml. distilling flask and add 0.05-0.1 g. of CuCl dissolved in a few drops of HCl, or a sat'd soln of NaCl or KCl; gently shake to mix contents add 25-30 ml. of 4N H2SO4 and distil through a condenser into absorption flasks containing NaOH or KOH. The ferrocyanide is completely decomposed and the HCN distilled off in about 30 mins. gently boiling. The distillate is washed out and titrated in the usual manner with AgNO3 using a few drops of 10% KI soln. as indicator. If desired 25-30 g. of ferrocyanide may be taken, only between 2-3% of its wt. of CuCl being required. Sufficient H2SO4 over that required to form FeSO4 and NaHSO4 must be added. It is advisable to wash the CuCl with a little dil. H2SO4 before using to remove any CuCl2. Sol. or insol. ferrocyanides or those of the heavy metals may be estd. Insol. compds. are finely powdered, transferred to flask and requisite amts. of reagents added. In the case of ferric ferrocyanide Prussian blue etc., more CuCl than that already mentioned should be added. Results reported are practically theoretical even on an experimental scale using 20-25 lbs.

[Edited on 30-9-2009 by S.C. Wack]

JohnWW - 29-9-2009 at 15:54

But the book cannot be downloaded from Google, except for a few snippets!
When I click that link there's a button to download PDF, and I did that just now.
Using Mozilla Firefox 3.52, the latest version, when I load http://books.google.com/books?id=qE4wAAAAMAAJ in the browser, I find that NO such button appears, inviting one to download the book as a PDF. Perhaps Mozilla Firefox cannot load such download buttons? What sort of browser did you use?

I find that most, if not all, books (usually incomplete, even the clearly copyright-expired ones) that Google posts online can be only viewed online as single OCRed pages, the images of which cannot be downloaded, except by screen-capture using something like ScreenThief.

[Edited on 30-9-09 by JohnWW]

entropy51 - 29-9-2009 at 16:45

Using Mozilla Firefox 3.52, the latest version, when I load http://books.google.com/books?id=qE4wAAAAMAAJ in the browser, I find that NO such button appears, inviting one to download the book as a PDF. Perhaps Mozilla Firefox cannot load such download buttons? What sort of browser did you use?

I find that most, if not all, books (usually incomplete, even the clearly copyright-expired ones) that Google posts online can be only viewed online as single OCRed pages, the images of which cannot be downloaded, except by screen-capture using something like ScreenThief.

Your browser may be the problem. I'm using the lame old IE 6.0 something or other. Google won't let you download PDF for anything after 1920 or so, even if copyright is expired, but these old books are available, at least to me. What can I say? Except that I try to always check the links that I post?

entropy51 - 29-9-2009 at 16:57

Quote: Originally posted by S.C. Wack  
That problem and its solution have been discussed time and time again, even in this thread. Like it needs to crawl across the top of the screen in flashing red or something.
Those who ignore history.......

That's what happen when threads exceed a few pages.

Thanks for posting the other prep!

crazyboy - 29-9-2009 at 20:19

I am considering a synthesis which may employ small amounts of HCN. Obviously this is an incredibly dangerous and hazardous compound and before I even think of generating such a compound I would like to know if anyone has ever dealt with it and exactly what precautions should be taken.

kmno4 - 29-9-2009 at 21:43

Adding some Cu salt as catalyst of decomposition of ferrocyanide sounds very promissing.
I have a few grams of CuCN so I am going to try it.
I think I will try 25g of K4[Fe(CN)6] and 1g of CuCN.
I have read about decomposition of ferrocyanide with Hg or Mg salts, but Cu is something new for me :)
BTW.
Sometimes Google Books try cheating by not allowing some books to be downloaded by some IP numbers.
Then you try cheating by changing IP (proxy). In most cases even "useless" Codeen proxies are good for this purpose.

Taoiseach - 29-9-2009 at 22:50

Quote: Originally posted by garage chemist  
Ullmanns Encyclopedia says 0,57g/100g in 100% Ethanol at 19,5°C, and 4,91g/100g in Methanol at the same temperature. No other temperatures are given.

I've used Methanol with a Soxhlet extractor to extract KCN from the powdered residue of K4Fe(CN)6 fusion, and the residue from evaporating the MeOH on a boiling water bath in vacuum came out as 85% KCN upon titration with 0,1M AgNO3.

85% purity is less than satisfactory. Any idea what other crap has dissolved in your methanol?

Jor - 30-9-2009 at 00:18

Quote: Originally posted by crazyboy  
I am considering a synthesis which may employ small amounts of HCN. Obviously this is an incredibly dangerous and hazardous compound and before I even think of generating such a compound I would like to know if anyone has ever dealt with it and exactly what precautions should be taken.

Fume hood and gloves (absorbed through skin!), or outside. It is dangerous, but not THAT dangerous. The compound is about 3 times as toxic as chlorine, but has bad warning properties (some people cant smell it).
There are much more hazardous gasses like phosgene (10 times more toxic). I have generated quite a lot of HCN, and no problem at all.

woelen - 30-9-2009 at 04:13

I also once had an experiment, which went awry somewhat, the contents of a test tube was bubbling vigorously, giving off pure HCN gas. I lighted the gas and it nicely burnt away, until the vigorous reaction stopped and evolution of gas became too slow to keep the flame. So, this also can be an option if you have to deal with a stream of HCN gas. In the past, this was used as a fiarly safe way to get rid of the gas, which burns to CO2, H2O and N2.

kmno4 - 30-9-2009 at 23:19

I have just tested this "Cu method".
Effect is the same as without Cu :(
Maybe is works on high dilutions and large excess of acid.
Volume ~130 ml, 0,5g K4..... and ~48-fold mole excess of H2SO4 is not interesting for me. On this proportions it woks also without any Cu salt, as it is described in previously cited paper from JChemSoc.

entropy51 - 1-10-2009 at 05:12

Quote: Originally posted by kmno4  
I have just tested this "Cu method".
Effect is the same as without Cu :(
Maybe is works on high dilutions and large excess of acid.
Volume ~130 ml, 0,5g K4..... and ~48-fold mole excess of H2SO4 is not interesting for me. On this proportions it woks also without any Cu salt, as it is described in previously cited paper from JChemSoc.

Without a catalyst only part of the ferrocyanide is converted to HCN. A few percent by weight of CuCl increases the yield of HCN considerably for me. How did you determine that the effect was the same as without Cu? It doesn't require a huge excess of H2SO4. See the patent I posted in the References Wanted thread about a week ago.

kmno4 - 1-10-2009 at 07:47

A few percent by weight of CuCl increases the yield of HCN considerably for me. How did you determine that the effect was the same as without Cu?

I determined it by weight, comparing (by amount of prepared NaCN) with no-Cu methode described earlier by me.
But what you mean by "considerably" ?
How much of KCN or NaCN can you get from, for example, 100g of anhydrous K4[Fe(CN)6] ? Just recalculate it accordingly to amount of K4... used by you.
BTW. I have found paper about cyanate/cyanide conversion:
J. Am. Chem. Soc., 1918, 40 (3), pp 482–489.
The most important conclusion from reading it: cyanides are really powerfull reductants :P

ps. I read mentioned patent but I cannot find amounts of chemicals needed to convert given amount of K4.. to HCN. Some amounts are given but with no sense for me.

ps2
Funny thing. I discovered that CuCN I put in flask (with H2SO4, K4.. and H2O) reminded undissolved :o.
Maybe CuCN is not catalyst, but some chloride salts ?
I will try with CuCl, but I have to prepare it first :)

[Edited on 1-10-2009 by kmno4]

entropy51 - 1-10-2009 at 11:31

Did you use enough H2SO4? Without Cu you need 1.5 mol H2SO4 per mol of ferrocyanide. With Cu catalyst you need 5 mol H2SO4 per mol of Ferrocyanide. If the H2SO4 is your limiting reagent, adding catalyst won't increase the yield. That's the reason for the stoichiometry used in the patent.

Have you ever tried to titrate your NaCN product? Just to see how pure it is?

Seems like the Cu would need to be in solution to work, doesn't it?

kmno4 - 1-10-2009 at 12:15

Patents are very bad source of knowledge, in most cases.
I took 25g of K4[Fe(CN)6], 52g of 96% H2SO4, ~160g of H2O and 0,7g of CuCN (small granules, 1-2 mm).
After 5-hours heating (boiling) I still had lots of light green shit in a flask.
After cooling I removed green slury from flask and then noticed granules of CuCN on the bottom. It seem that CuCN is not soluble in this mixture on boliling. It would be good if someone else confirmed (or not) this observation.
Yield of NaCN: ~6g. A few grams remain in ethanolic/water solution (~200 ml) . So it is close to 50% recovery of cyanide from ferrocyanide.
Purity: unknown, probably very high because it works as it should work. I have to buy at last some standard sol. of AgNO3 to confirm this purity.

entropy51 - 1-10-2009 at 12:27

Quote:
It seem that CuCN is not soluble in this mixture on boliling.

CuCN is not soluble in most aqueous, not even acids (up to a point). It dissoves in aqueous NaCN.

kmno4 - 1-10-2009 at 22:48

So maybe CuCN is not a catalyst (as patent states) in this reaction. Besides it is hard to imagine how any Cu salt can act for ferrocyanide decomposition in H2SO4.
But if CuCl really works catalytically, then real catalyst can be HCl. It sounds stupid, but....

Jor - 2-10-2009 at 02:29

I wonder if dilute HCl also works in place of H2SO4, as some H2SO4 tends to oxidise the cyanide. Indeed you wouldn't want the HCl to run in your EtOH/KOH, but at low concentration, water evaporates and not HCl, until the azeotrope is reached.

entropy51 - 2-10-2009 at 05:20

So maybe CuCN is not a catalyst (as patent states) in this reaction. Besides it is hard to imagine how any Cu salt can act for ferrocyanide decomposition in H2SO4.
But if CuCl really works catalytically, then real catalyst can be HCl. It sounds stupid, but....

I think the Cu salt needs to be in solution. I dissolved the CuCl in a minimal amount of HCl before adding it, which is what Williams describes in the article quoted by S.C. Wack above. For me, CuCl gave over a 50% increase in HCN, determined by titration. I did not try to isolate the NaCN - I have enough of that for the time being.

kmno4 - 2-10-2009 at 17:10

For me, CuCl gave over a 50% increase in HCN, determined by titration.

It is interesting, but I would be more interested in absolute amounts and conditions.
50% increase from 30% gives 45%... etc :P
Has your ferrocyanide dissolved completely ?
I am afraid that Cu cannot exist in any soluble form in such mixtures, because it will be converted to unreactive CuCN in these conditions at once. However, I will try this. But first I will try simple NaCl as "catalyst" to exclude/confirm any "HCl mechanism".

S.C. Wack - 2-10-2009 at 18:58

Maybe you should read Williams' book?
http://books.google.com/books?id=vW86AAAAMAAJ&pg=PA361

Whether it's practical compared to other methods is debatable, but as far as actual results when done properly, it's completely non-bullshit.

JohnWW - 3-10-2009 at 01:14

Its details are:
The Chemistry Of Cyanogen Compounds And Their Manufacture And Estimation (1915)
Author: Williams, Herbert E
Subject: Cyanogen compounds
Publisher: London : J. & A. Churchill.
You can download it through this page:
http://www.archive.org/details/chemistryofcyano00willrich

The URLs for downloading it directly are:
http://ia331413.us.archive.org/2/items/chemistryofcyano00wil... 42.5 Mb and
http://ia331413.us.archive.org/2/items/chemistryofcyano00wil... 11.7 Mb

kmno4 - 3-10-2009 at 16:26

Whether it's practical compared to other methods is debatable, but as far as actual results when done properly, it's completely non-bullshit.

Williams' book says about patent (in case of use CuCl), not about practical method :P
This is reality, not patented :
25g K4[Fe(CN)6], 52g H2SO4, 100g H2O and ~0,5g CuCl dissolved in conc. NaCl solution(~10 cm3).
Reaction goes smoothly, boiling mixture is a little pinky, in the end of reaction it turns white and HCN stops to go off. After cooling colour is quickly getting blue. Of course flask is full of suspension, as usually....
Amount of distillate: 5,5 g
It corresponds to ~50% of total cyanide from K4[Fe(CN)6] and ~100% yield of HCN in this conditions.
Another patent, another bullshit....

[Edited on 4-10-2009 by kmno4]

Taoiseach - 4-10-2009 at 05:11

Ammonium cyanide from K4FeCN6 and NH4Cl is confirmed by "the chemistry of cyanogen compounds" p. 39, available from archive.org:

"It is prepared in the dry state by gently heating(sic!) finely powdered potassium cyanide or ferrocyanide with ammonium chloride: K4FeCN6 + 6NH4Cl ---> 4KCl + FeCl2 + 6NH4CN, and condensing the vapour in a receiver cooled with a freezing mixture"

Heating an intimate mixture of 37g ferrocyanide and 25g salmiac to 100°C should give 24g ammonium cyanide. Adding 20grams KOH in ethanol should lead to precipation of pure KCN.

NH4CN is slightly less volatile than HCN (bp 36°C vs 26°C) and might be more convenient to work with.

entropy51 - 4-10-2009 at 08:54

Amount of distillate: 5,5 g
It corresponds to ~50% of total cyanide from K4[Fe(CN)6] and ~100% yield of HCN in this conditions.
Another patent, another bullshit....

How you figure 5.5 gm of distillate is 50% without titrating the CN?

Not bullshit, with CuCl I can get 80% of the CN from ferrocyanide. That's by titration.

S.C. Wack seems quite capable of detecting bullshit, and he said it ain't.

It didn't work for you because your CuCN wasn't dissolved.

Pages:  1    3    5  ..  8