Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Not Madness, but Oddness

DraconicAcid - 20-3-2013 at 12:25

Sometimes I check ScienceMadness from work. It's fine.

Sometimes I go home, and try to log in from there. I get a message saying, "You are banned. You may not read posts, make posts, or edits posts. Go away." (paraphrased)

After a restless night of wondering what the heck I did that was ban-worthy, I come back to work, and ScienceMadness welcomes me with its usual open arms.

I get home, I'm banned again.

Does this happen to other people?

Glucose Oxidase - 20-3-2013 at 12:45

Hello, Maybe (and i am saying maybe) you are using secure login at work and something is wrong with it try removing it
another possible source is "auto login" so it is always logged in at work and when you try logging in from home the server might think of you as an intruder or something

Wish that helps and sorry for the spelling and the grammar :)

elementcollector1 - 20-3-2013 at 12:56

I'm currently logged in from at least 2 different places (I leave a computer at school permanently logged in), so I don't think that's it.

Glucose Oxidase - 20-3-2013 at 13:07

Hmmm OK sorry then.

Polverone - 20-3-2013 at 14:57

You have never been banned or had your abilities restricted, as far as I know. Try the usual things for weird web site problems: clearing cookies in your browser, trying another browser.

DraconicAcid - 20-3-2013 at 18:55

Quote: Originally posted by Polverone  
You have never been banned or had your abilities restricted, as far as I know. Try the usual things for weird web site problems: clearing cookies in your browser, trying another browser.

Yeah, I didn't think I'd have been banned without at least a warning about whatever mistakes I was making. I tried clearing the cookies, but that didn't help. I don't think I have a static IP address at home, so maybe it's possible that another customer of Telus started posting spam and got banned?

Well, I can always make do with only accessing SM from work.

madscientist - 24-3-2013 at 18:32

Maybe your computer is infected with a spambot virus and it coincidentally chose this site as a target. Polverone will have to change your user title to "Spam in a Square Can." :P

See if you really do have a static IP or not. Sometimes your ISP will give you a new one if necessary.

[Edited on 25-3-2013 by madscientist]

Eliteforum - 25-3-2013 at 08:51

I have the same thing from time to time. According to polverone it's just the website thinking your a spammer and blocks the ip for a couple of hours.

Just have to check back later.