Sciencemadness Discussion Board

gas collecting tube

jamit - 9-4-2013 at 14:45

Does anyone know how to use one of these gas collecting tube.

My guess is that it doesn't operate using a displacement of water. What I'm asking is, once you allow gas to enter the tube
through one end, how do you know if the container is full, so that you can shut the other end ...without building pressure and causing a dangerous implosion?

mxGVC2MClXKYNB8Hgt7_Cig.jpg - 6kB

paw_20 - 9-4-2013 at 16:33

I believe that those are sampling tubes, and "full" is a moot point; there just has to be enough to test chemically what gas is in the tube.

Someone correct me if wrong, I don't have firsthand experience with this

jamit - 10-4-2013 at 00:42

thanks paw_20 for your reply. Are you saying that this glassware is not meant for collecting and measuring the volume of gases captured but for "sampling" some gases to be tested in general? I guess, i must be mistaken about its function. but thanks for your thought.

paw_20 - 10-4-2013 at 07:02

Pretty sure. A gas burette is for quantitative measurements.

this is chemglass' description of a similar piece of glass, but with a sampling port for a septum. I suppose you could use it in conjunction with a gas burette to store a given quantity of gas.