Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Epson printer heads question

Arthur Dent - 19-5-2013 at 07:27

Wasn't sure if it's the right subforum for this question but here goes...

I have a very expensive, large format Epson printer (11800 Stylus) and just installed a new 1K$ print head in it. But I refuse to accept that the old head is permanently clogged... I have been trying to figure a potential solvent to unclog the ultra ultra fine capillaries inside the head.

I know that epson ink is water-soluble but water doesn't have low enough viscosity to make its way to the dried-up gunk inside the capillaries...

I tried very warm isopropanol 99% in a beaker that fits just perfectly the head, but no luck... I'm trying to find a solvent that will dissolve actively the dried ink. The head is made out of plastic so acetone is out, and I don't want to waste valuable solvent... I already wasted 250 ml isopropanol.

So I was wondering if anyone had luck with particular polar/non polar solvents or clever mixtures to save their printer heads?

Among the solvents I have, there's 1,1,1 Trichlorethane, Xylene, Methanol, Ethanol, Isopropanol, kerosene, paraffin oil...

If i can save this head, it will be a good "emergency spare" unit because when this printer is in action, down time is not a good thing.

Robert

smaerd - 19-5-2013 at 09:26

What about ethyl acetate?

12AX7 - 19-5-2013 at 12:45

Methanol, ethanol, acetone? Mixtures thereof, possibly with water?

Of course, as strength goes up, be careful to test patches to be sure it doesn't affect plastic parts.

Tim

papaya - 19-5-2013 at 13:37

Hydrogen peroxide, because it'll oxidize organics and also produce micro bubbles which may increase extra pressure and ''push'' liquid ?

Metacelsus - 19-5-2013 at 13:41

Acetonitrile? It's just slightly less polar than water, and less viscous.

zed - 19-5-2013 at 15:21

Isopropyl alcohol. Let it soak, and soak, and soak. Occasionally, try squirting isopropyl alcohol through it, via a syringe. Blowing out the well soaked head, with compressed air is also a possibility.

hyfalcon - 19-5-2013 at 15:37

Good ol' WD-40.

Arthur Dent - 20-5-2013 at 09:40

Thanks for the suggestions, guys!

So I decided to try a 3-punch approach. I've let sit the print head in a bowl of very hot water... that removed most of the dried-up ink (in a blaze of colorful spires).

Then I used a big 25CC plastic syringe filled with hot water and squirted through the 8 ports... more colorful ooze.

The idea of Hydrogen peroxide is quite clever (Thanks Papaya) so I tried squirting some in the ports, soon followed by 70% rubbing alcohol, so far the output is clear but some of the heads show gaps in the "quirted output" so i'll let the head sit some more in that 70% isopropyl solution.

unfortunately I do not have access to Acetonitrile nor Ethyl Acetate so I can't try it out... but I thought about using a little bit of plain distilled vinegar for my final cleaning step to make sure the capillaries aren't clogged by the lime/calcium of the hard water.

Robert

argyrium - 20-5-2013 at 09:42

I have an old wide format Epson 2200 that has responded well to mostly a mixture of 70% -2-propanol (~30 mL) with a few drops of NH4OH and same amount of "Windex". A few drops into the cartridge interface, replace cartridge and run cleaning cycle. Sometimes takes a couple of cycles.

I would be very cautious about using any solvents that might cause the plastic parts to swell.

papaya - 20-5-2013 at 12:22

You are welcome Arthur Dent, as a general rule when it comes to cleaning oxidizers rule, another possibility might be hypochlorite solution, but peroxide seems a cleaner way.