Sciencemadness Discussion Board

silver thermite

bismuthate - 29-9-2013 at 17:11

Has anyone here used a silver oxide/Al mixture. i can guess that it is highly sensitive, so i would like to know more aboutt it before i make it.

violet sin - 29-9-2013 at 18:28

not to be a jerk... but try a little harder please.
googled: aluminum silver thermite
http://www.amazingrust.com/Experiments/how_to/Thermite.html

this came up as the first answer. took almost no effort at all. so don't take this as angry attack but a tip for the future.
common practice here might be to
1) make an appropriate title. seeing as how you are posing a question and have no info maybe put in a more descriptive heading "any one have experience with XXXX?"
2) try to come up with more than a one line question. in a clear concise manner a) here is what I have done.b) this is what I hope to accomplish,c) I have been reading these XXX, YYY, ZZZ, and it got me to thinking WWWW.d) does any one have any input?
maybe even throw a few equations or reactions up for clarity.
3) sign off perhaps with a direction you intend the info to lead.

that would be a fair investment of your time to persuade others to even bother chiming in. members such as I, like to read up on many things others do, and don't mind doing a little poking around if it is interesting. fun to learn things I wasn't into or knew about earlier.

start with the link I found and maybe post some interesting links you find with a little more effort. I would be glad to read up more on silver.
-Violet Sin-

AndersHoveland - 29-9-2013 at 18:29

Quote: Originally posted by bismuthate  
i can guess that it is highly sensitive

i would not think that it would be, though probably easier to ignite than regular thermite

waste of money, just use CuO

violet sin - 29-9-2013 at 18:38

from my link above, a few for comparison:
http://www.amazingrust.com/Experiments/how_to/Thermite.html#...
Fe3O4/Al (-3.677 kJ/g)
Fe2O3/Al (-3.985 kJ/g)
CuO/Al (-4.584 kJ/g)
Cu2/Al (-2.421 kJ/g)
Ag2O/Al (-2.11 kJ/g)

bismuthate - 30-9-2013 at 03:15

ii did not meen to offend, i have already researched it but i wanted practical advice from people who have dealt with it. it only plan to make a gram of it to satisfy my curiosity.

Dany - 30-9-2013 at 03:29

This is a study published in combustion and flame journal. It deal with a thermite mixture of nano Ag2O and nano Al.

Dany.

Attachment: Synthesis and reactivity of nano-Ag2O as an oxidizer for energetic systems yielding antimicrobial products.pdf (1015kB)
This file has been downloaded 740 times

bismuthate - 30-9-2013 at 03:58

sorry but my computer(well actual a 2007 kindle( can't accept the download (it sucks). but thanks anyway.
i am going to use the thermite in a tall walled container then treat it with HCl to get little silver nuggets.

argyrium - 30-9-2013 at 09:03

bismuthate,

you will be very disappointed if your intent is to dissolve the Ag from the products of an aluminothermic rxn.

Use of HCl will form a tenacious layer of AgCl over anything you end up with.

What are you trying to achieve/do with this idea?

bismuthate - 30-9-2013 at 11:22

no. i plan to add hcl to remove th aluminum oxide and recover the silver then clean and display the shiny nuggets that i belive will form.

Metacelsus - 30-9-2013 at 12:13

If you want to get silver from the oxide, why not just heat it? It decomposes at 280 C, which is easily reachable with an alcohol burner or hotplate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_oxide

bismuthate - 30-9-2013 at 12:17

i want small nuggets not powder, i already have some powder which i cant melt.

phlogiston - 30-9-2013 at 13:26

You can use electrochemical means to produce shiny metal, if that is what you are after.

However, it doesn't take that much to melt silver. I got small amounts (20 grams or so) to melt with a cheap butane torch.

bismuthate - 30-9-2013 at 13:33

i"m not allowed to use o torch and i don't own one.
doesn't electrochemistriy make crystals because i want a small round piece of silver to display.