Sciencemadness Discussion Board

PTFE reaction kettles?

Funkerman23 - 25-10-2013 at 00:35

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Pure-PTFE-Flask-Tefl...

I found this searching the aliexpress stores and, having seen some Deschem offerings, I wanted to get a gut reaction/opinions from you in SciMad before I went any further. My first complaint is Teflon is still porous enough to stain and with that contamination could be an issue. I don't know how well it would stand up to the mentioned uses for a kettle( (per)chlorate cell, messy/ hard to clean reactions, resin out-gassing, polymer work, etc)and without even listing a joint size I dunno. Just figured you lot might know more& might have some opinions. Thanks and goodnight.

subsecret - 25-10-2013 at 03:17

First of all, they're pretty expensive. With all of those problems, I don't think it would be a good buy.

It would be easier and probably cheaper to buy a glass setup, but this really depends on who you buy from.

Teflon is really inert, but it begins to decompose at around 200 C. I don't think you'd need to operate it at these temperatures.

I recommend a glass setup, this product doesn't look very trustworthy.

Dariusrussell - 25-10-2013 at 03:43

I also second the glass setup. Though it is more expensive, it will last longer and will have none of said issues. If you know YTmachx on youtube he runs a chlorate cell in a 25L reaction vessel. That being said if you are patient with the 'bay you could score all the parts you need for hundreds less.
If you are interested in glass reaction vessels see this thread: http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=26522

deltaH - 25-10-2013 at 04:01

As far as I'm aware, such teflon reactors are specifically for synthesis involving HF or fluorinations. The high cost wouldn't make it that attractive for anything else.

SM2 - 25-10-2013 at 05:58

I've experimented with polytef exotics. It still breaks down-Merck Index is wrong it's properties. A severely cross linked ver. ,maybe.

I'd rather see a nice set made of pyroceram, or molded artificial sapphire. Something like Corning Visions. Plus Teflon is an INSULATOR!