Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Chloroethane synth from methanol

bmays - 1-12-2013 at 12:01

CH3OH + PCl5 = HCl + CH3Cl + POCl3

I think chlorine gas and a catalytic amount of red phosphorous could replace large amounts of phosphorous pentachloride, as phosphorous trichloride would be regenerated by C2. Not sure if bubbling chlorine would be efficient, as the reaction might proceed slowly. Maybe a large jar purged with chlorine, then sealed up and left. A liter of chlorine should make 6 g chloroethane. Probably annoyingly slow but at least easy.

I am wondering if this is a logical way around the standard method, alcohol + conc. hcl @ 130c?

BlackDragon2712 - 1-12-2013 at 19:33

what about trying to perform a "lucas test" using anhydrous zinc chloride catalyst and hydrogen chloride previously dryed by passing it through 98%H2SO4 to boiling methanol? that's the way it's produces industrially

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&a...

The other problem would be dissolving this gas (unless you already have thought about this) maybe diethyl ether could be used. I imagine that carbon tetrachloride would be an excelent solvent in this case.

BlackDragon2712 - 1-12-2013 at 19:37

woa! also you'd want to correct your post, it's chloromethane not chloroethane the one we are talking about