Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Desiccator Bag for Drying Liquid Chemicals

underground - 5-1-2014 at 03:27

I saw this video and this is a very efficient way to dry chemicals, i use calcium cloride and it works really well for hygroscopic chemicals like AN.

In this video also it is said that it is imposible to dry liquid chemicals, but i guess this is because of the use of KOH as a drying agent. What about if we try other drying agents like calcium cloride for concentrating chemicals like H2SO4 or HNO3.

DubaiAmateurRocketry - 5-1-2014 at 04:48

Yes, I wish there is something that can concentrate HNO3 by simply adding a salt that can pull the H2O out from the HNO3 and simply filter it instead of doing a whole of distillation and such. Magnesium perchlorate is one of the strongest desiccants.. Not sure if it will work ? Any one ?

I am also eager to know the solubility of Phosphuric acid H3PO4 in nitric acid, so i can simply add P2O5 slowly, and freezing the solution/ filter (if phosphoric acid is insoluble) However I am afraid it might be miscible with HNO3 since P2O5/HNO3 is often used nitrations reactions.

[Edited on 5-1-2014 by DubaiAmateurRocketry]

Zyklon-A - 5-1-2014 at 06:53

CaCl isn't very strongly hydroscopic, and would not work for H2SO4, in fact H2SO4 is used to desiccate CaCl somtimes.
Does this need to be in Energetic Materials?

underground - 5-1-2014 at 07:15

What about HNO3

Fluorite - 17-4-2021 at 06:16

So I was boiling sulfuric acid in aluminum soda can today and everything went well actually until it dissolved the inside and went purple? Manganese sulfate ? Anyways what can I use to boil sulfuric acid? Stainless Steel ?

symboom - 17-4-2021 at 06:45

Tantalum and Titanium are resistant to boiling sulfuric acid.
Copper nickel alloy is also resistant but to a much lesser extent in a nonoxidizing environment but I would not trust that.

Pyro_cat - 17-4-2021 at 15:42

I made this to try and make anhydrous alcohol.

This video Nile Red I still can't believe that Epsom Salt is mostly water

I don't think my method, the toaster oven got hot enough to drive off the last of the h2o but I got alot of it out.

It worked to dry the alcohol but I did not get to 100%

I think if all the water was driven off the salt it would have been more 'sticky' grabbing away the water still holding on to the alcohol.

I only got the monohydrate.

[Edited on 17-4-2021 by Pyro_cat]