Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Isopropyl Acetate

The Volatile Chemist - 7-6-2014 at 05:09

I read a wikipedia article on isopropyl Acetate, which stated acetic acid and isopropyl acetate would react w/ sulfuric acid catalyst. I used sodium bisulfate, sould this've worked?
Side note, has anyone made isopropyl amide? It has a flash point in the negative 30sCelcius :P

One final Q, does any reaction occur between ammonia and acetic acid?

Thanks!
Nathan

sparkgap - 7-6-2014 at 05:24

Quote:

I read a Wikipedia article on isopropyl acetate, which stated acetic acid and isopropyl acetate would react w/ sulfuric acid catalyst. I used sodium bisulfate, would this've worked?

At least in the current edit of the wiki article, there is no mention of sulfuric acid. Nevertheless, sulfuric acid will indeed hydrolyze isopropyl acetate.

With respect to the use of bisulfate, see doi:10.1080/00397919908085911, among other refs.

Quote:

Side note, has anyone made isopropyl amide? It has a flash point in the negative 30sCelcius :P

"isopropyl amide" isn't quite sensible nomenclature. If you meant isopropylamine, then using the fabulous search engine should have netted you with this thread.

Quote:
One final Q, does any reaction occur between ammonia and acetic acid?

Lessee, you have an acid, and a base...

sparky (~_~)

(edited to explicitly link to the DOI)

[Edited on 7-6-2014 by sparkgap]

The Volatile Chemist - 7-6-2014 at 06:28

Lol, totally missed that last one :) Sorry...
For the middle one, the search engine turneed up nothing b/c I used the wrong name. For the first, I used the fr version, a graphic shoiws the sulfuric acid as catalyst. I shouuld prob. know what a doi number is, but I don't, what are they?

Crowfjord - 7-6-2014 at 07:11

DOI is a digital object identifier. DOI's are used as shorthand codes for digital references.

The Volatile Chemist - 7-6-2014 at 09:52

That link fits well, thanks!