Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Simple hydrogenation?

labgurl - 26-12-2004 at 20:59

Found some partial info about refluxing Platina black, hydrochloric acid, and some kind of ephedrine ester to end up with some type of amphetamine. What would this reaction be called? What ephedrine ester should it be? What would the end result be? Tnx

NERV - 26-12-2004 at 21:42

Your post is a little bit unclear, but I think your asking about Hydrogenation of ephedrine or whatnot ester to methamphetamine with platinum black. The procedure is as your topic states it, hydrogenation, but its really not that simple usually it needs high pressure hydrogen, and a supply of heat. I am not sure what ester you need, but like stated before you will get Metamphetamine.HCl.

You should try to make your posts more clear next time.

Organikum - 27-12-2004 at 05:42

Platinum black will not work well.

Go to
www.wetdreams.ws
for this kind of chemistry.

/ORG

wetdreams = blind leading the blind

labgurl - 27-12-2004 at 17:16

I do have a account over at wd but it would be a waste of time to ask anything above how to scratch matchbooks over there. WizardX sugested this message board to me. Sorry if my posts anoy you but I only have a few unanswered questions. Ok can someone explain why a catalyst metal is neccesary in the festerlyc hydrogenation and why the acetic ester is used? Would it be possible to use nickle and the sulfuric ester of ephedrine?

Ref: Hydrogenation

solo - 27-12-2004 at 22:45

This is some info which may be of some use to you along with some references

Attachment: hydrogenation ref and info.html (34kB)
This file has been downloaded 1077 times

Organikum - 28-12-2004 at 03:57

Quote:

I do have a account over at wd but it would be a waste of time to ask anything above how to scratch matchbooks over there

Me too. But questions of this style I answer there not here.

I didnt send you in the desert.
/ORG

labgurl - 29-12-2004 at 20:51

Thanks for the link. For a second I thought the hive was back up dammit!