Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Hydriodic acid synthesis video (Question)

nb198 - 7-7-2014 at 17:18

I have made a video showing how to make hydriodic acid using the method outlined by Argox in the Erowid Archive.

I live in Canada and I destroyed the HI after making it. I am just wondering what the legality is regarding making a video like this. I have no intentions of making anything illegal and if i didn't destroy it, I would have made Grignard reagents.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Would it be a bad idea to post the video?

TheChemiKid - 7-7-2014 at 17:33

I don't see why this would be a problem, as long as you are not showing or telling how to make illegal chemicals (drugs or chemical weapons). As long as you make this clear, you should be fine.

mr.crow - 7-7-2014 at 18:42

I am not a lawyer (and neither is TheChemiKid) but unfortunately things don't look good. Its on the Class A list along with super dangerous substances like KMnO4

With that out of the way I think its bullshit and love seeing any videos

rumunpl1995 - 8-7-2014 at 04:23

TOR is the answer.... your videos can be deleted but you stay anonymous (also if you want to do that register new account and never ever log in using your real ip adress) (change MAC also). If you log once ( and do everything right) they never ever find out from where video was sent.

On the other hand I have seen tutorials on youtube how to make hmx,rdx,dynamite and so on.....
In first few second a comunitace was showed: "for educational porposes only, dangerous substances were quickly disposed after synthesis" and they were there for like a year on the internet.

I`m also interested in seeing your video ;)

blogfast25 - 8-7-2014 at 04:46

HI is illegal in Canada? What a bunch of twits.

"Genius has its limits but stupidity doesn't." (Einstein)

[Edited on 8-7-2014 by blogfast25]

PHILOU Zrealone - 9-7-2014 at 10:40

Quote: Originally posted by blogfast25  

"Genius has its limits but stupidity doesn't." (Einstein)
[Edited on 8-7-2014 by blogfast25]

I think the following is also from him:
"There are two things that are infinite:
The Universe and human stupidity;
I just don't have a proof for the first !" :D;)

The Volatile Chemist - 9-7-2014 at 11:10

Great quotes guys... So that link was for Canada? That's good...
They'd probably say anything with iodine in it was a precursor anyways, I'd go for it. TOR is an OK idea, but all that does is draw attention.

prof_genius - 11-7-2014 at 02:25

I think it is fine, it has legitimate uses in organic chemistry. Adding a "For educational use only, do not attempt unless you are a trained chemist" disclaimer could work.

arkoma - 11-7-2014 at 05:43

Quote: Originally posted by The Volatile Chemist  
. TOR is an OK idea, but all that does is draw attention.

You've been "chilled" young fella.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chilling_effect

In the United States, HI is also a "List 1" chemical.

The Volatile Chemist - 13-7-2014 at 11:50

Quote: Originally posted by arkoma  
Quote: Originally posted by The Volatile Chemist  
. TOR is an OK idea, but all that does is draw attention.

You've been "chilled" young fella.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chilling_effect

In the United States, HI is also a "List 1" chemical.

Yea, I've been feeling pretty cold...

I know, but what's to be done? There's no reason to cause trouble or draw attention if you wouldn't get support b/c of chemo-phobia. Maybe when I'm older, when the US is in worse shape, but right now, there'd be no support by people.

Regardless, you're probably fine, even using TOR. As long as you're not using an outdated form of firefox (EgotisticalGiraffee is an awesome name, but in reality is just the NSA being mean :P)

AJKOER - 25-7-2014 at 16:05

What I find really frighting is a possible jury trial, where the average person in the USA, for example, has been so poorly schooled in the sciences that a simple statement you burned hydrogen in oxygen would frighten the jury to give you 20 years (for making water?) on whatever bogus charge conceived by the prosecutor.

Truly BS, but then, the prison industry is indeed a growth business here.

[Edited on 26-7-2014 by AJKOER]

Brain&Force - 31-7-2014 at 10:17

If I were prosecuted for "burning hydrogen in oxygen", I'd just call every single chemistry professor I know to testify for me. Hopefully that'll work.

I would love to see an HI video because I need hydriodic acid to produce some terbium iodide for hexakis(antipyrine)terbium(III) iodide. Unfortunately, YouTube may be too visible - if we had a place to upload and download videos here that would be excellent.

Texium - 31-7-2014 at 10:26

Quote: Originally posted by AJKOER  
What I find really frighting is a possible jury trial, where the average person in the USA, for example, has been so poorly schooled in the sciences that a simple statement you burned hydrogen in oxygen would frighten the jury to give you 20 years (for making water?) on whatever bogus charge conceived by the prosecutor.

Truly BS, but then, the prison industry is indeed a growth business here.

[Edited on 26-7-2014 by AJKOER]
Indeed, privatized prisons are way more prevalent than they should be. That's something that should never have turned into a business.

arkoma - 31-7-2014 at 10:49

@brain & force hydrogen sulfide gas bubbled through a solution of potassium iodide................making HI "in situ" was a skill I once needed LOL

(I think I remembered that correctly ^^^^)

The Volatile Chemist - 31-7-2014 at 14:07

Quote: Originally posted by Brain&Force  
If I were prosecuted for "burning hydrogen in oxygen", I'd just call every single chemistry professor I know to testify for me. Hopefully that'll work.

I would love to see an HI video because I need hydriodic acid to produce some terbium iodide for hexakis(antipyrine)terbium(III) iodide. Unfortunately, YouTube may be too visible - if we had a place to upload and download videos here that would be excellent.

Our own personal little TOR server? Great! :) Mostly joking here, but it'd be pretty sweet if we did. Is there a TOR FTP-like protocol :P

Zyklon-A - 1-8-2014 at 05:51

Quote: Originally posted by arkoma  
@brain & force hydrogen sulfide gas bubbled through a solution of potassium iodide................making HI "in situ" was a skill I once needed LOL

(I think I remembered that correctly ^^^^)

Yup, that sounds like a cook's recipe.
Don't forget to huff the the off-gas!:P

arkoma - 1-8-2014 at 06:50

Quote: Originally posted by Zyklon-A  

Yup, that sounds like a cook's recipe.
Don't forget to huff the the off-gas!:P

Remembered wrong anyway--per page 187 Vogels third

Quote:
2. Hydriodic acid. A 1 • 5 litre three-necked flask is charged with a
mixture of 480 g. of iodine and 600 ml. of water. The central aperture
is fitted with a stopper carrying an efficient mechanical stirrer leading
almost to the bottom of the flask, and the smaller apertures respectively
with a lead-in tube for hydrogen sulphide extending to well below the
surface of the liquid and with an exit tube attached to an inverted funnel
just dipping into 5 per cent, sodium hydroxide solution. The mixture is
vigorously stirred and a stream of hydrogen sulphide (either from a
freshly-charged Kipp's apparatus or from a cylinder of the gas) passed
in as rapidly as it can be absorbed. After several hours the liquid assumes
a yellow colour (sometimes it is almost colourless) and most of the sulphur
sticks together in the form of a hard lump. The sulphur is removed by
filtration through a funnel plugged with glass wool (or through a sintered
glass funnel), and the filtrate is boiled until the lead acetate paper test for
hydrogen sulphide is negative. The solution is filtered again, if neces-
sary. The hydriodic acid is then distilled from a 500 ml. Claisen flask,
and the fraction b.p. 125-5-126-5°/760 mm. is collected. This is the
constant boiling point hydriodic acid and contains 57 per cent, of hydrogen
iodide. The yield of the constant boiling acid is 785 g. or 90 per cent, of
the theoretical.
H 2 S + I 2 —* 2HI + S.
Note.
The hard lump of sulphur remaining in the flask is best removed by boiling with
concentrated nitric acid in the fume cupboard.
Hydriodic acid, of analytical reagent quality, sp. gr. 1*7 (54-56 per
cent HI) and sp. gr. 1«94 (64-68 per cent. HI) may be purchased.

My big brother actually owned a copy of Vogel's he found in an old book store in Portland, Oregon back in the early 80's. THAT was where I learned about HI. But we could buy it over the counter no prob until about 1988. I gave up making drugs before you were even born kid.

edit--cleaned up OCR of Vogel page

[Edited on 8-1-2014 by arkoma]

Manifest - 1-8-2014 at 10:22

Do you distill the HI afterwards or how do you separate it?

I wouldn't like to play around with H2S.

[Edited on 1-8-2014 by Manifest]

Fantasma4500 - 3-8-2014 at 08:28

hypocrisy or not, it is a reality that we may get a knock on our doors if we buy half a gramme of iodine, in germany ordering copper sulfate has triggered a swat team to come to some poor guys door..
but when thats said, there is a fine balance in between being careful and being paranoid

zed - 5-8-2014 at 18:11

Yeah, I know what you mean. Here in the U.S., purchasing a kilo of Copper Sulfate at The Home Depot, triggered a clerk to come and take all of my money. As I recall, it was about 14.95! Still have the Copper Sulfate. I don't use it much.

Gotta be better ways to make HI. Playing with Hydrogen Sulfide, is not a wholesome activity.

Hennig Brand - 6-8-2014 at 09:05

It is very unpleasant material and it can be very dangerous, but working with H2S can be done safely. Isn't it the possibility that your hobby project could kill you that makes it interesting. :D Makes you feel alive. :D

zed - 6-8-2014 at 16:53

Delicious, unexpected sexual encounters make you feel alive.

Extreme danger of the Chemical sort, makes me feel nauseated.

Hennig Brand - 10-8-2014 at 14:14

Different strokes for different folks.

I like both. :D

The Volatile Chemist - 10-8-2014 at 16:30

Sadly, most of the time both make me feel uncomphortable, but that's b/c I have little (to no) experience in either :P

Regardless, HI is probably safe to video about, but youtube isn't the safest place for it.
You know, that sentence probably covers everything profitable on this post :)

CrimpJiggler - 12-8-2014 at 14:46

Quote: Originally posted by mr.crow  
I am not a lawyer (and neither is TheChemiKid) but unfortunately things don't look good. Its on the Class A list along with super dangerous substances like KMnO4

With that out of the way I think its bullshit and love seeing any videos

KMnO4 super dangerous? Was that sarcasm or serious? I always considered it fairly harmless (relatively speaking). Its used as a topical antiseptic. Its probably my favourite chemical, it has so many uses. I bought a Kg of it in a pharmacy before, never had need for any more but I don't know how easy it would be to obtain it again, I think I just got lucky finding it in a pharmacy like that. I agree, its complete bullshit I hate this restriction crap, I'm a trained chemist and people who don't know a thing about chemistry tell me I'm not allowed access to specific chemicals. Never used HI before but I like these hydrohalic acids. HBr is pretty dodgy stuff to handle, I'm guessing HI is crazy corrosive. Is the process any different to making HBr? I remember HBr being trickier than HCl since Br2 gets formed, but it was still pretty straight forward. I distilled aqueous HBr though, bubbling it would be much easier I'd say.

[Edited on 12-8-2014 by CrimpJiggler]

arkoma - 12-8-2014 at 16:21

I find it a stretch of the imagination that an old (RETIRED!!) dope cook like myself knows more about the chemistry of a simple inorganic acid like HI than a trained chemist. Just sayin.......