Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Poll: What is YOUR level of education??

Pages:  1  

chemoleo - 29-3-2005 at 15:49

Well, together with this thread, we might get some meaningful answers :)

Obviously, if you are currently doing a degree, then you are eligible for poll item 2, or if you are doing a masters, then 3, and so on :)
Nobel prize winners please come forth! :D

[Edited on 31-3-2005 by chemoleo]

rift valley - 29-3-2005 at 17:22

I'm a senior in high school, and next year I will be attending Northeastern University (or possibly syracuse, but neu offered me a scholarship, and boston is a much more interesting town). I am going to major in chemical engineering, but i might switch depending on how i like it, can anyone here offer some suggestions/comments on college majors?

PS: It was amazing to vist the chemical engineering department "Over here we have the scanning electron microscope" I was :o In the next room a man was growing carbon nanotubles under an atmosphere of argon, then I think about my HS lab and that we lack basic acids/glassware.

Dave Angel - 29-3-2005 at 18:14

I'm a chem undergraduate at the moment.

Speaking of levels of education (tenuous link...)

Whilst I am very tolerant of people who don't know a lot of chemistry, I'm constantly surprised by questions like "how do I calculate mass from density and volume?" and comments such as "I thought anything that is a liquid had to have water in it." :o

I kid ye not.

Or am I wrong to be surprised other undergrads don't know these sorts of things? I can't say for sure given my hobby learning angle on chem since before I can remember, but I would have thought a few basic facts would be known by this level! (Not rant - just a bit of observation!)

[Edited on 3/30/2005 by Dave Angel]

cyclonite4 - 29-3-2005 at 18:25

I'm in school now (last year). I aspire to become a chemist or maybe even a chemical engineer.

I guess I could say that I have a school-level of education, but my understanding of chemistry extends past our schools watered-down curriculum. :D

[Edited on 30-3-2005 by cyclonite4]

Darkblade48 - 29-3-2005 at 20:28

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Angel

Whilst I am very tolerant of people who don't know a lot of chemistry, I'm constantly surprised by questions like "how do I calculate mass from density and volume?" and comments such as "I thought anything that is a liquid had to have water in it." :o

That's pretty scary. I wouldn't let them touch any of my chemicals or let them near my glassware for that matter :)

12AX7 - 29-3-2005 at 20:59

I voted the last option because I "officially" graduated "HS" last year and am going to college this fall... I use quotes because I "was" homeschooled (anyone who also was knows why I again use quotes). Like cyclonite4, I know a bit more about (electronics and metallurgy in my case) than the average HS graduate. ;)

Tim

chochu3 - 29-3-2005 at 21:15

Pursing a degree in chemical enginnering was going for biochemistry but I want to get paid as soon as I get out of school. Texas A&M

Magpie - 29-3-2005 at 21:38

Although it has been many years since I obtained my BS (Ch. E.) from a public university in the US I have kept an active interest in the field even when my job didn't require it. I have taken refresher chemistry courses now and then which helped in my career and in my hobby.

I feel that this forum is just one of a set of valuable tools for continuing to learn about and enjoy chemistry. Anyone who participates in this forum will have a "leg up" on his peers.

Eliteforum - 30-3-2005 at 00:31

Why the "americanized" list of choices?

thalium - 30-3-2005 at 00:50

...same as cyclonite4

cyclonite4 - 30-3-2005 at 02:39

Quote:
Originally posted by Eliteforum
Why the "americanized" list of choices?

Might as well fit in with the trend, ey? :P
The whole worlds doing it, why can't one person?

vulture - 30-3-2005 at 03:54

The whole world is certainly not doing it. In europe we only recently adapted the bachelor/masters system.

I guess undergraduate = bachelor?

I found it surprising though that as we're being adapted to the US system, chemistry bachelor is being extended to three years instead of two and the material is easier.

McDonaldization I guess?

cyclonite4 - 30-3-2005 at 04:05

I was referring to 'americanization' in general, not only the education system.

...Or you could call it McDonaldization :D.

chemoleo - 30-3-2005 at 05:20

Eliteforum, I don't understand why the list is americanised (note the spelling... 's', not 'z' :D). I actually deliberately tried to make it not sound americanised - note, I don't call it 'high school' or something.
Most countries have school ;), most countries have universities to do a degree (at least in dev. world).
It's the same system they use in the UK, or Germany. Admittedly, Masters degrees (postgrad) seems to be more of a moneymaker than a genuine degree as it draws so many foreign overseas student at english universities :D - and it's prevalent mainly in the US/UK - i.e. in Germany they haven't picked up on it yet (Postgraduate degrees are usually short, normally 1 years, 2 years at the most. Normally PhDs are included in this).
Vulture - yah, undergraduate is simply a university degree that takes from 3-5 years or so. Whereby this degree leads to a diploma in germany, baccalaureat in France, or a 'graduation' in England/US (?)

Anyway, are there any poll items that should be included but were left out?
Oh, hangon, I don't think I can edit the original poll...

[Edited on 30-3-2005 by chemoleo]

fizzy - 30-3-2005 at 05:41

Physics Professor

Organikum - 30-3-2005 at 09:13

I have something like a MA in psychology and sociology. :o

/ORG

solo - 30-3-2005 at 10:46

I remember long ago attending Berkeley ....Theoretical Math,....and Family Practice Medicine at Stanford.....in a far away land.......solo

Sergei_Eisenstein - 30-3-2005 at 12:16

Quote:
Originally posted by Organikum
I have something like a MA in psychology and sociology. :o

/ORG

For the females I guess?

I'm an archaeologist.

JohnWW - 30-3-2005 at 15:44

Academic corruption being what it is these days, and big business at that, there are many places from which you can virtually buy degrees - and often get away with it. Sometimes they ask you to provide a thesis, or an account of your life work experience. In particular, in California, the degree vendors -"diploma mills" if you like - operate quite legally, because any organization styled as a "non-profit organization" there, with an endowment of $50,000 or more, can legally call itself a "university" and register as such, and award degrees.

The only limitation on what you do with such degrees is that you cannot apply to join a "protected" professional society, or obtain a license to practice a "protected" profession, like law, medicine, dentistry, medical laboratory technology and other medical and dental auxiliaries, pharmacy, psychology, optometry, chiropractic, or nursing, on the basis of such a degree. These professional societies have their own lists of which universities they consider to be accredited or acceptable; in the case of law, a state bar examination or similar has also to be passed. But just about all other occupations are "fair game" with such degrees, except that one cannot call oneself "certified" or "chartered" or "registered", e.g. if working on one's own account as a chemist, engineer, or accountant.

chemoleo - 30-3-2005 at 15:46

How come you know all this? What's your degree again? ;) :D

Organikum - 30-3-2005 at 16:55

Quote:

For the females I guess?

Not only. MA = Magister Artis :D

Ramiel - 30-3-2005 at 22:37

Honours in Chem.

[Edited on 28-3-2009 by Ramiel]

cyclonite4 - 31-3-2005 at 01:07

I'm aiming for the same thing, for I love chemistry. Unfortunately, poor results in a less-scientifically-relevent area means I have to take a longer path to get my aspired Bachelors degree (I have to get a related diploma first).

tom haggen - 31-3-2005 at 10:04

Undergrad Chem Engineering, (physics is a fucking nightmare!!!).

vulture - 31-3-2005 at 10:34

Physics at my uni was a walk in the park compared to quantummechanics, so brace yourself. :D

theta_pu - 31-3-2005 at 11:29

I´m Chemical Engineering from Mlexico, and actully working on polymers

Phel - 31-3-2005 at 13:11

Voted Undergraduate degree.
I am studying chemical engineering on my first year, somewhere in the dark Scandinavia.

[Edited on 31-3-2005 by Phel]

school

jetfuel - 31-3-2005 at 17:29

I am 50 now and been a lab rat for most of my working days, but now at my age I have gone back to school to finish getting my degree in organic/ analytical chem

uber luminal - 31-3-2005 at 19:36

diploma's for Telecomm and Welding technology. (from post/2nd, 2 year schools) (odd combination... but it should count for something? right?)

Currently an undergrad in Materials Engineering. thinking about adding a minor in chem, since I miss taking chemistry classes. :(

I agree with Tom.
physics is torment.

Scratch- - 31-3-2005 at 19:59

Voted "At School."

I'm a junior in high school taking duel enrollment at a local high school. I've taken some classes in chemistry, enough to get me started in chemistry as a hobby. I really like chemistry and like to read chemistry stuff (like these forums, which are a real treasure trove of information I might add).

Chris The Great - 31-3-2005 at 23:42

At school, grade 11. Taking my first chemistry course this semester. It is very, very, very BORING. That's the downside of having chemistry as a hobby.

cyclonite4 - 1-4-2005 at 02:09

Of course school chemistry can be unentertaining (mainly because it's uninformative), but if you can't handle a little bit of paper work, you may be in the wrong business... :)

EDIT: btw, nice tesla coil...

[Edited on 1-4-2005 by cyclonite4]

12AX7 - 1-4-2005 at 04:34

Quote:
Originally posted by cyclonite4
EDIT: btw, nice tesla coil...

*Looks*

Hm, I think the MOTs are just a little bit more impressive. Considering.... my welder doesn't even draw that much current, at full output! (230A.)

Tim

Chris The Great - 1-4-2005 at 09:50

Not so much the paperwork, it's just I already know nearly 99% what we're learning. I perk up if I don't know something, but hearing my monotone teacher repeating simple theory that I already know is, well, boring. I don't mind writing up labs or doing them even if they are very simple. Hopefully the next year will be much better as I don't know a fair amount of the topics (haven't had a chance to learn them on my own yet).

Thanks, I'm going to start work on it again as it's warming up. The MOTs have drawn over 80 amps before, but that was with no current limiting and now my breaker doesn't work. Opps.

Titan - 2-4-2005 at 06:12

I visiting grammar school as child and gymnasium as teenager.

Vulture you are visiting secondary schools ;) and treasured knowledge
of schoolmates.

sparkgap - 2-4-2005 at 06:21

Apparently, you didn't stay long for your visit, Titan. :P

Vulture won't visit unless there is carrion and prey for him to feed upon. :D

sparky (^_^)

P.S. On the subject, I'm done with my masters, and still undecided as to pursuing a doctorate is worth the expense and trouble. Cash isn't something that stays long on my wallet these times.

froot - 2-4-2005 at 06:36

Have a higher diploma in electrical engineering, light current. But alas, now I'm a designer in the mechanical engineering field. And I love chemistry.

Titan - 3-4-2005 at 06:08

froot,

electrophysics is easy ;)
organic chemie is complex
and
anorganic chemie is babylon.

Ashendale - 4-4-2005 at 07:29

At school -.-

I believe Americans call that high school? (8th grade ._.)

markgollum - 5-4-2005 at 18:53

Well, today I applied to the faculty of Engineering at the Uni for the BSc Engineering program :D. If I am accepted that means that the next 4 years of my life will pretty much be spent studying, (or so everyone tells me).

I don’t even have a high-school diploma yet, but I am hoping to be admitted anyhow due to my high marks (in the sciences that is).
My Chem final mark is 90% (would have been 96% If my teacher wouldn’t have had such a big ego, He hated me for knowing more chemistry then him)
My Physics mark is 92%
Bio 90%
My average is 84% which is very good considering my best English mark so far has been 65%:(:(:mad:

Before this, (grade 12 is the only year that I went to school:D:D) I was home schooled:D.

Its great to know that the majority of people here are either Chem engineers, studying to be Chem engineers, or hoping to be Chem engineers someday.:D:D
WOW!!.

Sandmeyer - 7-4-2005 at 13:17

The most interesting/intelligent ppl I know have no univ education. Any idiot can get a piece of paper from a conformation factory, but how many of them can do anyting without directions/commands from the authority? But, to be a voice in the society you must at least have a degree.

[Edited on 7-4-2005 by Sandmeyer]

EBAYID_cheap_stuph - 7-4-2005 at 13:21

I have a physics degree. I shouldn't even be here. remember physicist believe in the uncertainty principle, and you know what that means!

neutrino - 7-4-2005 at 15:35

Not in this context, no.

sparkgap - 7-4-2005 at 23:17

Quote:

...I shouldn't even be here. remember physicist believe in the uncertainty principle, and you know what that means!

non sequitur, my friend. non sequitur.

Remember that HUP only becomes applicable at the (sub)atomic level. At the visible, macroscopic level, its effects are never felt. One can go on all his life without even knowing about it, IMHO.

Oh, and most chemists I know believe in HUP. Don't think you physicists are privileged or something...

sparky (^_^)

cyclonite4 - 8-4-2005 at 04:19

Quote:
Originally posted by Sandmeyer
The most interesting/intelligent ppl I know have no univ education. Any idiot can get a piece of paper from a conformation factory, but how many of them can do anyting without directions/commands from the authority? But, to be a voice in the society you must at least have a degree.

This likely applies to many, my uncle for one. He is a genius, but early in his last year, he realised how f'd up the education system is, dropped out, and continued his education privately.
Talking about degrees, you practically need a PhD to get a decent job here, almost any employer would take a "PhD" over anyone else. It's even possible to underqualify for McDonalds.:o An acquaintance of mine, who dropped out in year 10 (not completing high school), was declined for a job because highschool graduation is preferred (but then again, they should have graduated, and got their PhD in 'burger-flipping' :D).

Magpie - 8-4-2005 at 08:04

For many people getting a college degree means years of sacrifice - putting off immediate gratification, e.g., working summers and evenings at low wages, delaying marriage, etc. I don't see how doing this plus getting an academic education subtracts from a person's worth. Getting an education in a challenging academic field is much more difficult than most jobs in my opinion.

K9 - 8-4-2005 at 09:20

I'm going to be starting my 3rd year of an honours program specializing in biology. I want to do molecular biology specifically.

uber luminal - 8-4-2005 at 09:52

I think 4 year degree's (from a known university maybe) are prefered because it shows the individual is capable of completing things without having their hand held. It implies they get to class on time and finish projects on time (haha yea right). It also implies that the person has completed a wide range of material. You take your Social Science and Humanities, your Calculus, Sciences, a bit of whatever. Im not saying that those things are even worth a lot or someone who does not go to school does not have a well rounded education, but the employers do not assume this. I know guys that are smart and land cool jobs without education. But I know more smart people who have their PhD and have even cooler jobs.

A university isn't just about the Education or experience,
its also the networking of people, and the environment which you are in. (granted some environments suck, but with the right additude, you can change things). Imagine the super smart guy your thinking of, who doesnt need no education, in an environment where they can learn even more, and apply their knowledge to real projects, with real funding or equipment. (like XRD or SEM... not something your average no-school smart guy has). College is a breeding ground for smart folks. They don't tell you about every possibility, thats something you have to figure out and decide. With enough patients, ingenuity and a bit of social engineering, you can make just about anything reasonable happen. (and save the not so reasonable things as side projects when no one is looking). Anyway, the smart ones come out of the woodwork and find great opportunities, the rest go about getting their degrees and finding an unrelated job, working 8-5 in their dull life :) these are your students who come out of college expecting things to be just like it was in the text book. fortunately, not everyone is like this, unless the school totally sucks.

The schools ARE kinda messed up. esp if your an older student who returned to school after so many years. Many schools look at the big picture of total students and cash flow, not you. Professors have to instruct 800-1200 students a week, and your not exactly their number one priority. sometimes its hard to go from doing everything the way you want, to being told you need to meet certain requirments and do something a certain way. Its also hard going from an environment where you are the teacher or are taught on a 1:1 basis, to a lecture hall with 400 other students, (who in my case are all many years younger than me). But its worth it to change your study habbits rather than complain that classes don't meet your style. Life is about compromise, and sometimes taking a small hit to your ego is a worthwhile option.

JohnWW - 8-4-2005 at 15:01

And where is the money going to come from, Markgollum and others? Frankly, in the final analysis, it all comes down to the "silver spoon", where you end up academically, no matter how good you are, or how hard you try, based on personal experience. Any scholarships would cover only a fraction of your true expenses, including probable income forgone. Taking out student loans is a dead loss, a fools' game.

Mumbles - 23-4-2005 at 18:22

I'm just finishing up my final year of high school. I am attending a rather prestigious school for science in the fall. I already have some research opportunities available to me. I am thinking going for my B.S in Chemistry, maybe a minor in physics, and then perhaps a masters in organic chemistry, or pharmacutical engineering.

I ended up getting into what some consider the most prestigious school for science in the US. University of Chicago. I don't think I am going there though. From what I have learned from previous and current students, while the academic atmosphere is wonderful, the social atmosphere is lacking. Don't get me wrong, academic atmosphere is very important, but I want to be able to have some fun if I am spending $40,000 a year to go to some school.

MilordB - 6-5-2005 at 07:44

PhD in catalysis

just got it few months ago

working as a professional all over europe, asia(mainly middle east) and africa for an international company

Gaia - 6-5-2005 at 07:56

I'm currently doign a PhD in geology...
and if people don't know a lot in chemistery... there is a lot of people who know NOTHINgG in geology...

"Geology? oh! Yes, JurrasicPark!!!!" (.... please i love this movie.. but.....)

And sorry for my spelling.. i'm french... and try to learn.......

[Edited on 6-5-2005 by Gaia]

JohnWW - 6-5-2005 at 17:16

One of my minor subjects for B.Sc. was Geology I. It later came in handy in connection with some aspects of a Materials Science paper as part of my B.E. (Chemical Engineering) degree, as regards crystallography.

evil_lurker - 6-5-2005 at 17:31

High school dropout, got GED.

daeron - 4-7-2005 at 23:21

it warms my heart to see that much chem.eng`s here...well future ones,anyways

denatured - 5-7-2005 at 00:47

hey

I'm not a chemical engineer ... i will be an agriculture engineer with agriculture biochemistry major ... now i'm first year student (well if we count that summer)

chem eng.

jpc1080 - 5-7-2005 at 09:04

im chem eng. too!!

jimwig - 5-7-2005 at 11:25

junior in school - art major

better say i am almost 60 years old.

i am returning after 30 odd years of life experiences. i discovered that i might not have to work for a living for the rest of my time.

[Edited on 5-7-2005 by jimwig]

you know a little something else -

i love fireworks - especially the larger aerial types. unfortunately my state doesn't love fireworks - except of course for yesterday's selectively enforced laws concerning the incredible displays around the city. guess you could bring up things like licensing and safety and insurance and make a case for both sides.

i would like to put up my own intense blues, purples and greens before i pass. i do believe it would be an incredible thrill to do so and have the viewers just go "ahhhhhh!".

god i must finish editing, eh?

i also love chem but my dyslexic stuff holds me back from the formula and factor method so I got this D in beginning chem. But I was glad to get tath.

Plugging in figures to the tune that is required singing just doesn't work for me so amateur chem it is. Which is why this board is so special. And also why a certain level of tolerance should be shown to those of us without the naturally occuring chem brains out there.

And one last request - anyone who hasn't ever made a mistake in their lives, stand now and throw a rock into your computer screen.

Jim

KidCurry - 7-7-2005 at 06:35

Going for a masters degree in organic chemistry, will start my third year this fall (in other words, just beginning to learn stuff).

((Blasta)) - 11-8-2005 at 23:27

BEd, working on MEd .... I'm a Chem, Physics nut. As well I am a firearms technican and hold a valid HE permit.

weekends can be fun :)

tina_craig - 12-8-2005 at 12:12

I might as well have a civil engineering degree, 8 years experience in water/wastewater, highway, marine and traffic, chemhack otherwise.

Mr. Wizard - 12-8-2005 at 17:43

How many people on this board know their measured IQ? Do they still do the tests anymore? Do European schools do the test? I was just curious.

chemoleo - 12-8-2005 at 18:15

Well you are welcome to make a meaningful poll on this. I doubt you will get honest results though :P

simply RED - 28-8-2005 at 12:40

I'm last year "organic chemistry" in university...

woelen - 31-8-2005 at 12:42

PhD in mechatronics and control engineering. I have a background in electronics and information techmology and currently I'm also working in this direction as IT-consultant.

I have no formal education in chemistry, I'm a completely self-made hobbychemist :D. I, however, do lots of things with chemistry for approximately 20 years now with a renewed interest since a few years.

12AX7 - 31-8-2005 at 16:54

Quote:
Originally posted by woelen
and information techmology

Never an English major or minor though, I guess.

:P

Sorry, I know, cheap shot! *hangs head in shame*

...Hmm long as I'm in this thread, I'll mention that I just started full time college classes and am headed for electrical engineering.

Tim

Taaie-Neuskoek - 1-9-2005 at 02:41

Nah, that's just a typo. Notice that the 'm' and the 'n' are positioned right next each other on the keyboard...

Anyway, within a month I will start an MSc in plant biotechnology.

FPMAGEL - 22-10-2005 at 01:19

undergrad in light/heavy fabraction and machining(engernerring)
I would have like to pass the computer stuff cbc/bit but hay that what drugs does to you.

CS

MadHatter - 10-1-2006 at 14:12

Working on undergraduate in Computer Science. Took me 12 years to get back into the classroom. After a few years
off due to financial circumstances I can finally go back to complete it. Seems my 18+ years work experience as a Systems Programmer/Analyst are a bit dated because most of my work was on old mainframes and minicomputers.

Languages: BASIC, C, CLIPPER, PASCAL.

EcstacyElmo - 1-3-2006 at 23:47

voted undergrad
found this site and deviated from work
was initially typing a lab report
my coursemates and i too, use the internet alot for reference for our lab reports, i wonder if its bad for us?

studying Bsc chem.
a little lost in what i'm doing

but nice to have found this site

nitroglycol - 26-4-2006 at 16:12

BSc in biology, BA in philosophy, dropped out of MA in philosophy, then got community college diploma in environmental engineering technology.

enhzflep - 26-4-2006 at 16:27

Ba Digital Dystems(robotics major)
Qualif Jeweller
Considering taking a job as a shot-firer:D for Orica

highsky99 - 1-5-2006 at 23:38

:cool: i m a sch dropout... i love to perform experiment...
I am learner, never stop learning.

"I know a little about nature and hardly anything about men." Albert Einstein

marklee - 2-5-2006 at 07:16

hEllo, this is my 1st year in BioChemis Science..hope i survive...;)

Elawr - 21-8-2006 at 11:21

BS in Forestry - 1978 (with minor in Chemistry)
MS in forest products technology - 1982
MD (medical doctor) - 1986

Family Practice physician by specialty; Emergency physician by vocation, Life-long enthusiast of chemistry and physics by avocation.

urbs - 22-8-2006 at 06:44

Undergraduate, BS in Sociology, but all my electives ended up being Chemistry, Physics, Biology, etc. that's what happens when you change majors late in the game.

Juris Doctorate (law) which is what I do now, that and play with fireworks, energetic materials, carpentry, cars and about anything else. ... It's better now that I take my ritalin every day.:)

Nick F - 22-9-2006 at 10:36

I've just finished my BA in natural sciences, and am going on to do my MSci in organic chemistry next year. My BA was mainly chemistry, but I also studied metallurgy and materials sciences, maths, physics and experimental psychology to some level. The course lets you specialise more in the later years, so I started with maths, physics, chemistry, metallurgy and materials, then the next year I did two chemistry courses (basically they were pure and applied) and experimental psychology (which was nice and easy, and made an interesting change), last year I did only chemistry (mostly organic and inorganic, but still with some physical and theoretical) and next year I can do purely organic for my MSci. Which I am really looking forward to, because I finally get to forget all the horrible maths that I learnt!
I'm not sure why we get awarded BAs for science degrees. I guess it's just one of those little quirks that you get at 800 year old establishments!

matei - 22-9-2006 at 14:24

I'm a PhD student. I've studied chemical engeneering, but my PhD is in organic chemistry.

Broken Gears - 23-9-2006 at 00:44

Im a trained moldmaker/machinist. Daily I work with CNC programming and manufacturing injection molding for plastics.
In chemistry I have no degree what so ever. I rarly know what Im doing :)

phase_dancer - 8-10-2006 at 21:36

Qualified as a radio & associated electronics tech (1981) and recently, a Bachelor of applied chem

allbatros - 8-11-2006 at 13:04

I'm in highschool, but interested more in physics than chemistry ;):D

_1v4_ - 15-11-2006 at 05:46

I'm still in high school... it's a school in wich I learn mainly natural sciences.
Hopefully I'll finish high school with good grades and have at least some Postgraduate degree.. but only time will show ;) :D

Ozone - 20-11-2006 at 18:46

I worked in an environmental testing lab while finishing my B.S. (Heh!) in Chemistry with a second discipline in Nuclear Science. Then I worked for six years as a Research Chemist studying carbohydrate chemistry whilst repeatedly attempting to get into graduate school. I was finally accepted and completed the work required for an M.S. (Analytical Chemistry); I then was accepted into the doctoral program (Organic Chemistry), which is where I am today (which is where, it seems, I will be likely to petrify).

:D

O3

BromicAcid - 20-11-2006 at 20:40

I don't think I ever posted this but I got my BS in Chemistry earlier this year. I plan to go onto higher education one of these days providing that I don't somehow end up with my own lab by some quirk of fate in the near future.

Esplosivo - 21-11-2006 at 11:33

Quote:
Originally posted by Elawr
BS in Forestry - 1978 (with minor in Chemistry)
MS in forest products technology - 1982
MD (medical doctor) - 1986

Family Practice physician by specialty; Emergency physician by vocation, Life-long enthusiast of chemistry and physics by avocation.

I'm a second year MD student. Did you manage to do any real chemistry during your MD course? I'm still 19, and have done a lot previously, but now I really got stuck and I don't have as much time to delve into my hobby as I wish.

Anyways, MD is what I'm studying right now, and it is my life. Am hoping to get this MD ready and go into surgery right afterwards. During these years my interest has focused on drugs. Nice to know there's an MD here.

Elawr - 21-11-2006 at 15:53

Did very little chemistry during medical training. It is mainly during the past few years that I've had a lot more time to pursue hobbies. I'm not sure what exactly triggered the re-awakening of my childhood interest with chemicals and reactions.

skorpio47 - 23-11-2006 at 05:29

Hi.
Im enginer in pyrotechnics ans electrical engineering. I think I will apply for a PhD.

Jdurg - 25-12-2006 at 18:57

I have a Bachelor's of Science in Forensic Chemistry. I currently work as a Clinical Data Coordinator overseeing the running and analysis of Clinical Trials for a major pharmaceutical company.

quicksilver - 3-1-2007 at 17:25

Grad & undergrad in completely unrelated (non hard-science) fields - 'tis a total hobby for me. :P

Many Moons Ago

FloridaAlchemist - 5-1-2007 at 14:11

BS in Chemistry 1980

Misanthropy - 17-1-2007 at 18:33

Chem: Self study. :(

A.A.S. in Electronics Eng. & Network Eng. (Win NT 4.0) back when I was a teenager. Some 10 years ago now. God I miss school. :(

[Edited on 18-1-2007 by Misanthropy]

Numbscul - 20-1-2007 at 12:26

BSc in Chem, working on MSc (or maybe PhD) in Materials Chem (medicine related)

DrP - 8-2-2007 at 06:14

I'm suprised by the last 3 years - might explain somethings though. :P

tupence_hapeny - 25-5-2007 at 05:34

Failed plastecine...

(Naah, LLB - working on Bus/Arts at the moment)

Had the marks - had the choice, law or medicine...

The question then became, which to do?

Medicine- help people to feel better and save them; or

Law- Help people to screw others and fuck them over....

The choice was easy:D

PS It helped that I have been clinically diagnosed as having an anti-social personality disorder:(

[Edited on 25-5-2007 by tupence_hapeny]

Sandmeyer - 25-5-2007 at 15:54

I'm a gynaecologist. :cool:

Aristocles - 3-11-2007 at 20:16

Degree in Philosophy followed by an extremely short stint in grad school with an aim towards Mathematics...

First post here, had to reply to some topic... ;)

MEXCHEM2006 - 3-11-2007 at 22:55

Bachelor's of Science in Pharmaceutical Chemist Biologist ( it only exist in Mexico) with a major in biotechnology.

StevenRS - 1-1-2008 at 19:40

I'm a Sophomore... I feel like a little kid... O well. I have a better understanding of chemistry than most, though. I want to go to Georgia Tech, study chemical engineering.

497 - 2-1-2008 at 02:08

I'm in 10th grade. Planning on going into Chemical Engineering, maybe with a little Mechanical on the side (I just hope I can get into a decent school, English and French are killing my GPA :( ) So far I'm mostly into inorganic chem, maybe sometime soon I'll venture a little more into organic chem.

Chemistry class is pretty pathetic... the teacher is good but... the class is sad, i've learned very little. Even when its this easy 50% of the class has no idea what's going on... oh well, next year I'll take AP Chem, there might be a good percent who actually want to be in the class.

By the way I love this forum. I've learned far more here than in school, or really anywhere else for that matter. I'm pretty well addicted to it, my parents are always bitching at me because I spend so much time here rather than doing my homework :D

youngOne - 3-1-2008 at 00:18

Diploma of Laboratory Technology

But i never finished 4th form as you americans say.
Would love to further my education. But as it comes down to
money is the big killer.:(

Pages:  1