Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Chemical Composition of Fertilizer's

Magius - 2-4-2005 at 15:58

So its spring again, and multiple department stores and home garden shops have started selling fertilizers. now, having read over this tread (http://67.15.145.24/~sciencem/talk/viewthread.php?tid=74) I decided to go hunting for some Potassium Nitrate.

After searching the chain stores(and some local wisconsin chain stores) I was unable to find any products pure enough for my liking, many being contaminated with Urea or Urea Nitrate. So, taking Polverones advice, I tracked to the local Co-op only to find that, lo and behold, they didn't have any 13-0-46 (KNO3) fertilizer either. :(. However, while there I did manage to pick up 50 pounds of 95% sulfer ($12.60), so the trip wasnt and entire waste. While there, I observed multiple fertilizers, the usual Urea and Calcium Nitrate, as well as a 0-0-60 fertilizer. Now, not being a farmer, or knowing the deep significance of why someone would want a fertilizer with 60% availible Potassium, I wondered, 'What could be its chemical composition?' Pulling out my calculator(always in my side pocket) I did some quick calculations of the usual Potassium Salts (KCl, KOH, K2O and KO2) and found that none of them matched. The closest were 53% with KCl and 55% KO2. I doubt that its KO2, but could they get off with passing KCl as fertilizer? That seems too easy.

Any Ideas?

Also, seeing as I'm out of KNO3 and NaNO3 for a while, are there any other Nitrates, such as Calcium or Urea, that could be used as a substitute(ajusted by moles ofcourse) in pyrocompisitions?

JohnWW - 2-4-2005 at 16:15

Mined KCl, which has a pale orange-pink color due to vacancies in its crystal lattice, is used as a fertilizer, either straight, as coated granules, or mixed with other fertilizers to give balance.

12AX7 - 2-4-2005 at 19:12

Hm, the KCl I'm familiar with (though probably recrystallized) is completely white. That would be mixed with NaCl in ice melter, which makes ye most enjoyable aluminum flux.

Tim

Scratch- - 2-4-2005 at 20:23

I got my KCl mixed with NaCl in the No-Salt substitute. I too havent been able to find pure fertalizers and other things that people have been able to find at the hardware and garden stores (KNO3, NH3NO3, graphite rods, CuSO4, etc.). I only recently found sulfur, its only 90% though. Do you live in the US also?

EDIT: Er, forget that last question lol, didn't see that part where you answered it.

[Edited on 4/3/2005 by Scratch-]

Darkblade48 - 2-4-2005 at 21:57

I've gone to a hydroponics store close to where I live, and they often sell 500 grams of KNO3 as a plant fertilizer for $3 (CAD). If you try, you actually might be able to persuade the hydroponics store to sell you it in bulk as well.

Unfortunately for me, the KNO3 I have are in round balls (prilled, I believe is the term?)

On a different note I've also found my sulfur at a local Home Hardware, but it was only 92% pure.

[Edited on 3-4-2005 by Darkblade48]

KNO3

MadHatter - 3-4-2005 at 01:46

There's always the option of ordering online but the drawback is a paper trail.
I ordered from: http://www.atlantishydroponics.com in the past. However, their
price on KNO3(50 LBS) went up from $19.95 to $45.99. I hope that's a price that
includes shipping because in the past I always had to pay the $20 HAZMAT fee
plus actual shipping charges. Search on the product code KN50.