Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Wire cloth mesh

greenyppols - 29-4-2005 at 04:58

Hi all. perusing the boards led me into reading about alkali metals and production of sodium. I read somewhere (I thought it was this board) about an iron mesh size being described as 100x100/cm, I think, and I cant figure out how it converts to standard US sieve size. Would it be 100=.0059/inch or more towards us sieve size 635=.0008?

I was looking at wire mesh cloth at sefar.com.

I'd like to try to build a downs cell and the wire mesh will keep the cl2 and Na separate, if I've read all this right...

I figure to go find a cast iron dutch oven at the local wally mart for the cell body and use a glass funnel above the anode to direct the cl out, and seal it somehow, which is a bridge I'll cross after figuring out mesh sizes. lol. Running out door to peruse the library before class.

yeah, an old man in skool. lol.

Thanks all

hdcwr0x2 - 19-5-2005 at 17:04

What are you using for a heat source? You'll need something pretty hot to keep the NaCl + CaCl2 molten.

*Adding the CaCl2 lowers the MP of the NaCl considerably, from 800+ C to 550 C or so. You won't be able to keep pure NaCl molten, trust me.

Sorry but I don't know anything about the sieve size. Anything VERY fine will probably be suitable. Good luck with this and post some pics when you get your setup all together.

neutrino - 19-5-2005 at 17:41

100/cm = 254/in = 250 mesh