Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Readily Available Chemicals Website

Pages:  1  2

CrEaTiVePyroScience - 16-4-2012 at 07:42

I don't know of those were said already but Ill name some that Ive found recently:
-sodium hydroxide => draincleaner
-sulfuric acid => draincleaner
-sodium chloride => diet salt (brand name: "NoSalt)
-ammonium nitrate=>instant cold packs
-urea=> instant cold packs
-potassium nitrate => tree stump remover
-acetone=> nailpolish remover
-isopropanol => received from distilling alcohol soap
-red phosphorus=> side of the box of a match
-sulfur => sold at paint shops
-sodium nitrate=> (I made from sodium hydroxide and ammonium nitrate)
-mercury=> thermometers (only if you need tiny amounts)
-magnesium => pencil sharpers, magnesium stick for survival
-gold electrodes=> old broken jewels (ex:necklace)
-graphite=> pencil

HOME SCHOOL SUPPLIERS

cal - 6-5-2012 at 04:39

Quote: Originally posted by I am a fish  
Thanks for your comments. I'll add your suggestions to the list.

With regard to your criticisms of the list:

1. Chlorate(I) is a valid synonym for hypochlorite. Perhaps this is misleading and should be changed.

2. According to an Australian sci.chem user, camphor moth flakes are available. Apparently, they are better (for their intended purpose) than naphthalene, but far more expensive.

3. I sympathise with your opinion on IUPAC nomenclature. However, it's very difficult to find a compromise between systematic and trivial names. Are there any other names you think need changing?

4. I think your right about Pentyl Ethanoate and Sodium Nitrite. I'll remove them.

With regard to pottery and photographic suppliers:

I think I'm going to remove everything that comes from either of these and put up links to specific companies. There's no point doing what the companies' web-sites can obviously do better.

The two sites you gave looked good (although I imagine that shipping to the UK would cost a fortune). I have found a UK equivalent for the photographic one (http://www.silverprint.co.uk), but have yet to find a decent pottery site.

There are also HOME SCHOOL SUPPLIERS that provide a third party supplying option such as: http://stores.ebay.com/homeschoolchemistrysupplies
Whom I have ordered many items from. I have ordered everything from Acetic acid to Mercury metal from this place.:cool:
Chris

kadriver - 14-11-2012 at 09:24

Quote: Originally posted by CrEaTiVePyroScience  
I don't know of those were said already but Ill name some that Ive found recently:

-potassium nitrate => tree stump remover

Please be aware that Stump Out stump remover by Spectricide is potassium nitrate.

But Stump Out stump remover by Bonide is sodium metabisulfite.

kadriver

tetrahedron - 14-11-2012 at 09:55

Quote: Originally posted by CrEaTiVePyroScience  
-sodium chloride => diet salt (brand name: "NoSalt)

certainly you mean potassium chloride?

Fishman Jack - 20-12-2012 at 12:54

I just joined. I own a retail science store in the Kansas City area. We operate bothna brick-and-mortar store (180 English Landing Drive, Parkville, MO 64152) as well as an on-line store (www.hms-beagle.com). We currently sell almost 700 different chemicals and are adding new ones nearly daily. We also sell laboratory glassware and chemistry sets.
I have a degree in chemistry from UMKC and have had a home lab since I was 12 (I'm over 60 now). I also have extensive experience and knowledge in aquariculture (aquarium science and technology).

ktcd - 17-1-2013 at 18:54

I was told 30% sulfuric acid is sold in car shops as battery acid

elementcollector1 - 17-1-2013 at 19:12

Quote: Originally posted by Fishman Jack  
I just joined. I own a retail science store in the Kansas City area. We operate bothna brick-and-mortar store (180 English Landing Drive, Parkville, MO 64152) as well as an on-line store (www.hms-beagle.com). We currently sell almost 700 different chemicals and are adding new ones nearly daily. We also sell laboratory glassware and chemistry sets.
I have a degree in chemistry from UMKC and have had a home lab since I was 12 (I'm over 60 now). I also have extensive experience and knowledge in aquariculture (aquarium science and technology).

I can safely say that this store is worth checking out, as I've ordered from them before. Excellent service and all that, as well as cheap prices.

hissingnoise - 23-1-2013 at 05:50

Quote:
(www.hms-beagle.com)

Pricey stuff, to put it mildly ─ e.g., I bought 2½lbs of CaC2 (big chunks) from a supplier in Europe for €11.50 inc. carriage just a year ago . . .
Your price on this is little short of being extortionate!

mad.chemist - 28-1-2013 at 06:52

Quote: Originally posted by Fishman Jack  

This might be a stretch, but with regards to the quoted post, do many retail science stores still exist, that sell to individuals such as home chemist? I'm curious as to if any members live in North Texas, a stretch I know, and know of such a place. I have found a few companies, companies such that I am not sure if they sell to individuals or not, and have emailed them asking such question. My hopes are relatively low though, seeing as most people see home chemist as drug producers. It would just be nice to not have to deal with shipping cost when buying simple reagents for my lab. Any advice is appreciated.

MikeSomething - 12-2-2013 at 03:07

At the risk of looking like a noob and posting way OT:

I do have a bit of advice for you, mad.chemist: Move away from Texas. Possession of lab glass - any lab glass - requires a permit in the state of Texas. My nephew was stationed at Lackland AFB last year, and after seeing me demo the Briggs–Rauscher reaction, he wanted to share it with his friends. He lived off-base, and instead of the lousy 200 mL of fairly innocuous chemicals arriving at his door, the local law enforcement did, and insisted on searching his apartment. They "seized" a recently emptied pickle jar from his trash can, and a glass salt shaker, claiming both could be used with the "pound of iodine" I had sent him to make drugs. In reality, I sent him about 5 GRAMS of KIO3. The same Texas LEO also sent a letter to my local police department informing them of my "potential drug-related chemical distribution ring" (their exact words). My local police chief replied with a letter including links to our local school's website, which has several videos of me working with kids from kindergarten to 8th grade. One of the videos is a Briggs–Rauscher demo. He also asked that the seized shipment be either delivered to my nephew, or returned to me. I got the package back a few weeks later. The 30 mL bottles of H2O2 and 1M H2SO4 were empty; the bottles of various dry reagents were all opened and dumped into a plastic bag together after being labeled "TESTED" by some Texas LEO drug lab.
My local PD chief suggested I file a complaint with the Post Office against Texas for mailing unlabeled, mixed, and possibly hazardous chemicals, but ain't nobody got time for that.
After researching a bit, I found that Texas law basically assumes any misunderstood hobby must be related to drugs, and should thus be persecuted as such. ALL lab glass must be registered with your local law enforcement office, which has the right to seize your labware if they feel it might be used illicitly. This has happened to legit chemistry students literally a few days after registering.

Much more OT:

Sodium polyacrylate: Not much chem use, but a fun and engaging demo, especially for kids. 1 gram can absorb 250 mL of water. Great fun "throwing" a glass of magically solid water at a teacher in front of 30 3rd-graders! It's readily available for about $2/4 oz at hardware stores, home centers, and big-box stores as "Waste Paint Hardener" under many brand names.

A couple great chemical suppliers to add:

Alpha Fired Arts in Sacramento, California:
http://www.ceramicsuppliesnow.com/
Good prices, and they sell in small quantities. They also have everything available in a showroom if you're in the area.

I'm reluctant to add them, but Sierra Chemical in West Sacramento is one I've kept secret for years:
http://www.sierrachemicalcompany.com/
Lots of chemicals, and they recently started doing mail-orders and eBay. I've been buying from them for 5 or 6 years. They have a lot of hard-to-find chemicals, and often buy lab glass in bulk from liquidated companies. They have a showroom with a decent selection of glassware, and occasionally get oddities they sell cheap.

There is also a (different) Sierra Chemical Company in Stockton, California. Though I haven't bought from them directly, I have worked with them a few times purchasing for a previous employer. They do sell to individuals, and they have competitive prices:

http://sierrachemsales.com/product_line.html

violet sin - 22-5-2013 at 21:09

I have read here and other places that higher strength hydrogen peroxide can be found in heath food stores and I had been looking for a while. but I didn't want to go asking for something specific w/o knowing why they would have it so I never found any. then today I came across 29+% hydrogen peroxide for 10$/L or 30$/gal. used as a sanitizer and oxygen source at a garden supply shop. they are a really nice store w/ lots of specialty nutrient and products, so don't go looking for this at ACE. wish I had found this earlier so I figured I would share.

violet sin - 20-6-2013 at 23:44

sodium bromide 99%
2$ for 2 oz of HTH brand "brom-start" from wallmart

I know it's poor form to double post but I just found this tonight and my last post here is way past the point of editing.

Pages:  1  2