Sciencemadness Discussion Board

MgCl2 + Na2S2O3 = MgS2O3 + 2NaCl

blueberry58 - 9-11-2014 at 19:55

I am not chemist but MD but I need to prepare MgS2O3 in small quantity.

With this reaction

MgCl2+NaS2O3= MgS2O3+2NaCl

This was taken from Enclyclopedia of the Alkaline Earth Compounds by Richard Ropp.

When I mixed the reactants 1 M both, at normal temperature, nothing happens. Heating in a microwave forms some white flakes that I dont know what is. After reaction is performed the author say that separation from NaCl ocurrs by crystallization at low temperature (-9,5 Celsius degrees) of the product. salt out temperature

What I am doing wrong?

Thank you for your help.

Alejandro Fernandez

Sorry I forgot something

blueberry58 - 9-11-2014 at 19:59

I dont know the proper temperature to use and the time of the reaction. But too is an issue the pH of the sol.

Thank you

DraconicAcid - 9-11-2014 at 21:07

Lange's Handbook says that magnesium thiosulphate is very soluble in water. You'd need to try higher concentrations, mix them, and cool the mixture down in a freezer (not a microwave).

blueberry58 - 10-11-2014 at 06:37

Thank you DraconicAcid:

When you say high concentration its means saturated?

What temperature would you use?

Thank you.

Magnesium Thiosulfat Synthese

blueberry58 - 26-11-2014 at 12:13

Wiith a little effort I could prepare magnesium thiosulfate. As I was unable to separating MgS2O3 from NaCl, I had to use the following process:

Na2SO2(aq)+MgCl2*6H2O(aq) = MgSO3*6H2O(s) +2NaCl(aq)
8MgSO3(s)+S8(s)=8MgS2O3(aq)

Altough I still doubt because I got a very hygroscopic salt. The test with potassium iodide exhibits a clear aspect, silver nitrate produces yellow opacity and then black. Both indicate that it is a thiosulfate. By mixing with hydrochloric acid diluted a haze white-yellow appears and odor of sulfur dioxide. Also indicates that thiosulphate is not magnesium sulfate.

Has anyone had experience with this salt?

blueberry58 - 6-2-2015 at 10:05

I have prepared some MgTS using magnesium sulfite and elemental sulfur, 1:1 mole ratio. This product is unstable on heating. If I heat this clear solution to achieve its crystallization, sulfur returns to form.
I decided use just low heat ( 60 degrees) and it become a kind of jam that does not crystallize. On heating more strongly it returns to liquid state. What should I do in this case?

Thank you.