Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Dissolution of PHB (polyhydroxybutyrate or glutamate)

rachel - 10-10-2005 at 01:46

dear all

I am in a dilemma as to how to dissolve PHB with a mol wt of 470.000.On all the papers I came across Dichloromethane and Chloroform and acetone were the options but none of them works until heating and overnight stirrring is required .CAn anybody help??

Thanks in advance

rachel

[Edited on 12-10-2005 by chemoleo]

solo - 10-10-2005 at 20:26

Quote:

.....methylene chloride, distilled water, and polyvinyl alcohol were utilized as the solvent,

as read in..
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&a...

rachel - 11-10-2005 at 03:44

Quote:
Originally posted by solo
Quote:

.....methylene chloride, distilled water, and polyvinyl alcohol were utilized as the solvent,

Thanks for the info.but unfortuantely i had tried the above said and doesnt work.now i am looking for a solvent for sodium polyglutamate which i hope u cud help.i tried with chloroform ,methylene chloride but none of them works.

regards
rachel

as read in..
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&a...

Eclectic - 11-10-2005 at 07:33

Try DMSO, DMF, NMP, or cyclohexanone.

DrP - 11-10-2005 at 07:34

Will THF work? I don't know much about PHB but THF used to be the strongest solvent in our lab for high MW polymers.

chemoleo - 11-10-2005 at 17:03

For proteins, or polyglutamate etc, you might want to try 8 M guanidinium hydrochloride, or 6 M urea. These usually solubilise proteins very effectively.

Otherwise, 1:1 acetonitrile:water (maybe with 0.1% TFA) might work too.

Possibly glycerol, this might help as well due to chelate effects.

Also, ultrasonication in your buffer/solvent of choice often helps during the dissolution process.

[Edited on 12-10-2005 by chemoleo]

try Tetramethylene sulfone

poly2004peek - 13-10-2005 at 00:44

Tetramethylene sulfone
is very strong solvent.
PET can dissolved in Tetramethylene sulfone and PHB also a kind of polyester.
just try it.:)