Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Simple hydrogenation?

NeverSleepy - 21-2-2003 at 03:01

Some professor tells me that boiling ephedrine and platina black [I assume any catalyst metal will do] in 25% hcl for 5 hours will yeild meth [75-85%].

Why dont I see anything this simple at rhodium? Was this guy rooster pooting or should I go yank the catylict converter off my car?

vulture - 21-2-2003 at 13:05

This will not work with just any metal.
Hydrogenation works with platinum because it can store a volume of hydrogen gas dat is a few hundred times it's own volume.
Besides that it will convert the hydrogen gas to a more reactive species.

Hydrogen gas will pass through a redhot platinum sheet as if it wasn't there.

wtf?

NeverSleepy - 21-2-2003 at 14:41

Thanks for the info, but im looking for a yes or no with a brief explanation type answer.

~ No! ~

Organikum - 22-2-2003 at 12:15

Quote:

boiling ephedrine and platina black ...
... in 25% hcl for 5 hours will yeild

a mixture of pseudoephedrine and ephedrine.

for a hydrogenolysis you need at least hydrogen.

really? wow!

NeverSleepy - 22-2-2003 at 13:05

When you drop some platina black into hcl, bubbles start coming off it. Arent these bubbles hydrogen?

You got

Organikum - 22-2-2003 at 14:50

exactly what you asked for.

Believe it or don´t believe it, I don´t mind. You are looking for trouble? Look somewhere else please.

sincerly yours
ORG

My middle name is trouble!

NeverSleepy - 22-2-2003 at 15:16

I dont think you understand that this rxn takes place WITHOUT an external hydrogen source. Upon further research, I found this http://www.rhodium.ws/chemistry/dihydromorphinones.html Why would it be pointless to use ephedrine as starting material?

Not if you want methcathione

Organikum - 22-2-2003 at 17:58

if Zn is used as catalyst in conc. HCl, about 10% yield of racemic Methamphetamine are possible. With an external hydrogen source. But thats more a sidereaction of a overdone racemisation with lots of other sideproducts.

Pt black splits HCl? No. Not at this side of the galaxis.

this works:

GAA as solvent
Pd/BaSO4 as catalyst
perchloric acid as promotor
1-3atm H2
80-90°C
(Rosenmund & Karg 1942)

Damn

NeverSleepy - 22-2-2003 at 20:34

So the codeine synth is bs?

?????

Organikum - 22-2-2003 at 21:22

You asked if this reaction could be used for dehydroxylating ephedrine. As this reaction obviously is a dehydrogenation the answer is NO. The product if used on ephedrine would be methcathione.

You might go to erowid and have a look at the molecules of methamphetamine and ephedrine for a better understanding.
http://www.erowid.org/
In the compounds database if I remember right.

ORG