Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Tour My Lab

Pages:  1  2    4  ..  7

Ozonelabs - 1-9-2008 at 01:03

Hello everyone- for those that haven't seen the website- here are the pictures of the Ozonelabs lab, with its new fume hood!

panziandi - 1-9-2008 at 02:29

nice hood! i like the idea of using the bolts to hold the sash at different heights very much! how powerful is it? what is the fan you are using?

Klute - 1-9-2008 at 07:35

Sigh.. Beautifull! :) Indeed, it's a cleevr idea the bolts.

I was thinking of using a screw-in bolt in the inner guide, so that the sash can be blocked at any hight with the srews "pushing" it against the other side on the inner guide... Although I'm scared it might damage after a while, or loose it's grip (don't want to get my head choppe doff by my sash one day :) ).

I take it the hood is entirely home-made? you also did one hell of a job... I envy you guys.

bfesser - 1-9-2008 at 08:41

Quote:
Originally posted by KluteAlthough I'm scared it might damage after a while, or loose it's grip (don't want to get my head choppe doff by my sash one day :) ).

You should never have your head in the hood to begin with... kind of defeats the purpose.

Klute - 1-9-2008 at 08:53

Indeed :) But on some occasions you do (filling the solvent trap with LN, moving that clamp near the bottom, getting that bloody little stopcock that bouced to the corner of the hood, ..) , and I'm sure that's the moment the sash would coose to fall down :)

Magpie - 1-9-2008 at 10:22

I find myself sticking my head into my hood when setting up equipment, removing equipment, and cleaning. ;)
Quote:

magpie what kind of suction do you have in your fumehood as I noticed that my fumehood won't make a tissue being sucked in at the bottom like you mentioned.

DNA: My fan pulls about 450 cubic feet/min at about 0.750"H2O pressure drop. My ducting is 8" (20cm) diameter. I have 2 baffles that are mounted 5cm in from the back of the hood. The upper baffle is bent to deflect the air up to the duct inlet. This is based on designs I noted on the websites of commercial hood manufacturers.

DNA - 11-9-2008 at 01:03

Finally I got to make some pictures of my lab.
Here below the fumehood.
It is 100cm width and 50cm deep and 100cm high.
There is still going to be a metal tray in the bottom which covers like the whole bottom for spilages.

The sash is 50cmx100cm and is movable up and down (ofcourse) and will stay at its place by the counter weight which can be seen at the back threw the polycarbonate glass.
Another 50x100cm piece of polycarbonate is mounted to the front which is not movable.

Improvment would be to buy a slideable window which can be mounted to the front.

At the moment the fan is unsufficient as it takes 88m3/h but it is sparkless!
More pictures of the rotary evaporator etc will follow.

Here my glassware as far is it fitted on the picture:

[Edited on 11-9-2008 by DNA]

Picric-A - 11-9-2008 at 06:29

Nice hood DNA!
So are those bags hanging in the back of the hood the counter-wheights?

DNA - 11-9-2008 at 06:35

Thank you,
And yeah these bags are filled with sand and are indeed the counter-weights.

Klute - 31-10-2008 at 17:22

He he my time to show off my my latest aquisitions:

40 year old Buchi Rotavap, in perfect condition! 50 euros!

And a 1967 single pan mechanical beam mettler scale! Also in perfect condition, and also for 50euros!

Unfortuanly, these two precious items won't be used right now... but it was such a good occasion that I just couldn't not buy them... I've been dreaming of a rotavap for years, and only expected to get one after several years of savings...

For any frenchies living in the south, there is a second Buchi Rotavap for sale routhly at the same price, but withotu the water bath. A bit dusty, but in excellent conditions and no cracks whatsoever. PM me if you are interested! (No shipment though, that would be risky and very expensive)

Ozonelabs - 1-11-2008 at 13:22

Ozonelabs has also recently acquired a Buchi!

[Edited on 1-11-2008 by Ozonelabs]

Jor - 1-11-2008 at 13:57

Can you tell me what Ozonolabs is? Is it a company? Or are you just an individual calling yourself Ozonelabs so you can buy at the big companies ;);) ?

Ozonelabs - 1-11-2008 at 14:09

Ozonelabs is actually the collective name for a pair of chemists that have been practicing Organic Chemistry for several years:) Its all detailed on our website!

Klute - 1-11-2008 at 15:37

Your lab is very impressive, very professional! I hope one day I will have a similar place

Jor - 2-11-2008 at 03:26

Indeed, very impressive.
I'm very jealous you have a lab partner. Is the lab at your home, or your partner's?

Ozonelabs - 2-11-2008 at 04:42

The lab developed from a friendship that was born through an imprompt discussion about chemistry. Both of us post on here, but the lab is at my partners home.

Jor - 2-11-2008 at 14:57

I can really recommend this topic:

http://www.versuchschemie.de/hartmut.php?t=4361&start=0&...

There are pictures here from a lot of labs, and there are some really nice ones.

Maja - 4-11-2008 at 13:06

So many chemists in Germany ? :]

Klute - 4-11-2008 at 23:51

Why do you think so many reactions have german names?! ;)

Ozonelabs - 30-12-2008 at 15:28

Hello everyone!

Ozonelabs has new pictures of the lab as well as a few pictures of some of our reagents.

Not included-

Toxic Cabinet
Oxidising Agents
Organic Chlorinating Agents (PCl3 etc...)
Some Organic Chemicals (due to lack of bench space)
Precious Metals compounds
Gas Cylinders

Glassware.

What has been uploaded can be found here:

http://www.freewebs.com/ozonelabsinc/apps/photos/

We would very much like your collective opinions on our Laboratory as well as the new videos we have uploaded to Youtube.

Regards,

Ozonelabs

P.S.
Luminol Synthesis to follow...

Jor - 31-12-2008 at 07:07

Very nice!

How have you acquired all those chemicals? :o

Is the large plastic bottle on the left in the picture 'caustics' hydrofluoric acid?

Ozonelabs - 31-12-2008 at 07:30

Jor-

The 3 large plastic bottles contain:

48% HF in a bottle, in a bottle in the large bottle
99% White Fuming Nitric Acid same stored as HF
35% Oleum in the large plastic container.

Everything is stored with the 2nd container packed with Na2CO3

497 - 3-1-2009 at 06:25

Arrggghh. If I had a setup as nice as yours I don't think I could want anything else out of life! Maybe I'm just desperate after living so long with basically *nothing* for a lab space.. Someday I will build one as nice as that. But I'm starting to get very afraid that by the time I get a chance to, none of is will be available/possibe, if current trends continue..

biotech7 - 29-1-2009 at 22:57

although currently building my lab is in progress, i am glad to show my apparatus to everybody.
all apparatus or glasswares i bought are domestic products. because it's good enough for use and more significantly it is not expensive.

my rotary evaporator bought one month ago,easy to use, convenient for shipment as well as high quality.

[Edited on 29-1-2009 by biotech7]

1_.jpg - 69kB

biotech7 - 29-1-2009 at 23:23

water circulated vacuum pump,corrosion-proof , easy to maintain. it is useful for evaporate low boiling point solvents.

3_.jpg - 61kB

biotech7 - 29-1-2009 at 23:29

this kind of pump can also reach high vcuum degree which is enough for low boiling point solvents evaporation.

[Edited on 29-1-2009 by biotech7]

4_.jpg - 63kB

biotech7 - 29-1-2009 at 23:55

i don't like furnace heating. so i designed a special heating apparatus below.
it is composed of Single-phase voltage regulator(contact type, maximum power=3000W, rated current=10A), stainless Steel cookware(plus stainless steel heating cycle) and dimethyl silicone oil( viscosity=500 cs). it can be heated from rt to 300℃.

[Edited on 30-1-2009 by biotech7]

7_.jpg - 72kB

biotech7 - 30-1-2009 at 00:08

yesterday i bought a refrigerator for chemicals storage. a total of 50L volume---belonging to mini ones.

10.jpg - 50kB

biotech7 - 30-1-2009 at 00:18

my vent hood construction is to be finished. more pictures will be shared when i finish all
of my lab construction.

stoichiometric_steve - 31-1-2009 at 10:30

chinese stuff always looks so shitty and cheap, it almost fails when you just look at it!

octave - 31-1-2009 at 14:25

I did not realize that pull tab cans still existed!

biotech7 - 1-2-2009 at 04:31

Quote:
Originally posted by stoichiometric_steve
chinese stuff always looks so shitty and cheap, it almost fails when you just look at it!

Hi, man,
1stly, Chinese stuffs are cheap but not shitty. u r suggested not to use words like "shitty" to discribe something unless u r definitely an asshole.
2ndly, at the present day, no conutry(no one) can speak poorly of stuffs made in China. The truth is you maybe don't remember ur mama's first name, but you do know the phrase " Made in China".

[Edited on 1-2-2009 by biotech7]

stoichiometric_steve - 1-2-2009 at 05:14

oh, really. the only good things i've seen that came out of PRC were either designed and engineered in another country or a copy of a foreign designed item.

Bromide - 1-2-2009 at 07:04

Quote:
Originally posted by stoichiometric_steve

That seems an uncalled-for response. None of biotech7's posts in this thread warrant unfriendly or snide remarks.

Even if you have had poor experiences with Chinese-made equipment, using the word "shitty" here just seems like a goad.

woelen - 1-2-2009 at 09:26

@stoichiometric_steve: Only one thing in this thread needs the qualification "shitty" and that is your post :mad: :( !

panziandi - 1-2-2009 at 15:52

@ Biotech ... tidy little pump you have there! Make sure you do not keep flammables in a normal fridge if it is on since the electrics are not explosion proof, but if its just going to be used as a cupboard then thats ok.

biotech7 - 2-2-2009 at 04:38

thx for everybody's support or kind advice.

to panziandi
this pump is only for evaporation of rotary evaporator loaded less than 2-litre volume.
as you said, this pump is not explosion-proof.so any produced pressure evaporation is operated in vent hood in case of fire and solvents vapor inhalation.

the new deal

stoichiometric_steve - 9-2-2009 at 13:05

watch and freeze.

CIMG5115.JPG - 152kB

Jor - 9-2-2009 at 14:14

You work on a wooden bench?
I recall you had a very nice hood.

stoichiometric_steve - 13-2-2009 at 07:38

yes! wood is awesome. as is the wooden fume hood ;)

iHME - 14-2-2009 at 04:35

A wooden fume hood?

Apparently I'm sane for even thinking about building mine out of it.

Sedit - 14-2-2009 at 22:32

Unvarnished wood sucks big time for a bench:D when I get a chance Ill post some pictures to back up what Im saying. My bench was pressed wood so a little spill and it swells up horribly.

Moral of the story if wood is the way to go make sure liquids are not going to make it thought:P

domaani - 4-4-2009 at 15:29

Time for some update now. :)

This was the setup in June 2008, as seen in my previous post on this topic:

http://www.elisanet.fi/vili/labra/labra1.jpg

http://www.elisanet.fi/vili/labra/labra2.jpg

http://www.elisanet.fi/vili/labra/labra3.jpg

Now the evolution has led to this point (it's a bit messy here, my apologies):

http://www.elisanet.fi/vili/labra/alakerta32.jpg

http://www.elisanet.fi/vili/labra/alakerta33.jpg

http://www.elisanet.fi/vili/labra/alakerta34.jpg

http://www.elisanet.fi/vili/labra/alakerta35.jpg

Magpie - 4-4-2009 at 16:22

Looks very nice domaani: well equipped and a pleasant environment. Is it in a basement? Is it heated year round? Is that a commercial hood? It looks like it.

HydroCarbon - 4-4-2009 at 17:27

Very nice pictures domaani. Unfortunately, I cant get the upper links to work to make them bigger though.

What sort of work do you do in there?

[Edited on 5-4-2009 by HydroCarbon]

stateofhack - 5-4-2009 at 07:28

Impressive! Is it a private lab or your work place?

domaani - 5-4-2009 at 10:14

Magpie: Thanks. The lab is almost an underground one, being 2 ft (60 cm) above the ground level, just enough to have a small window to let some sunshine in.

The room is originally habitable. A single-room flat which is now a part of my mother's apartment. Located in the basement next to bathroom and sauna. (Labs usually got emergency showers, but having an emergency sauna for relaxation during massive series of syntheses...?)

The hood is commercially made. Cost 100 EUR. I did some modifications to the original plumbing and renewed the electrical installations.

HC: Thanks. I haven't actually worked there a lot until now. We've worked on some organic syntheses with a pair of friends who got a patent on isoquinoline derivatives. I have made some basic syntheses for fun and practice, supporting my chemistry studies.

I decided not to start doing chemistry until I've got the lab in an adequate condition for working. It took almost two years.

stateofhack: Thanks. This is an experiment of building a home lab. A project which kind of got out of hand.

Still a lot work to do. A stand for various distillation column assemblies, house vacuum (I'm fed up with separate noisy pumps), finishing of the pure water system (Elga reverse osmosis, 100 L pure water reservoir and ion exchange apparatus) which is now installed in the bathroom.

Well, maybe I should show a picture which goes back to year '97, when I was 12 years old and playing around with chemistry. Can you recognize the place?

http://www.elisanet.fi/vili/labra/nurkka.jpg

[Edited on 5-4-2009 by domaani]

stateofhack - 5-4-2009 at 15:16

Quote: Originally posted by domaani  
Magpie: Thanks. The lab is almost an underground one, being 2 ft (60 cm) above the ground level, just enough to have a small window to let some sunshine in.

The room is originally habitable. A single-room flat which is now a part of my mother's apartment. Located in the basement next to bathroom and sauna. (Labs usually got emergency showers, but having an emergency sauna for relaxation during massive series of syntheses...?)

The hood is commercially made. Cost 100 EUR. I did some modifications to the original plumbing and renewed the electrical installations.

HC: Thanks. I haven't actually worked there a lot until now. We've worked on some organic syntheses with a pair of friends who got a patent on isoquinoline derivatives. I have made some basic syntheses for fun and practice, supporting my chemistry studies.

I decided not to start doing chemistry until I've got the lab in an adequate condition for working. It took almost two years.

stateofhack: Thanks. This is an experiment of building a home lab. A project which kind of got out of hand.

Still a lot work to do. A stand for various distillation column assemblies, house vacuum (I'm fed up with separate noisy pumps), finishing of the pure water system (Elga reverse osmosis, 100 L pure water reservoir and ion exchange apparatus) which is now installed in the bathroom.

Well, maybe I should show a picture which goes back to year '97, when I was 12 years old and playing around with chemistry. Can you recognize the place?

http://www.elisanet.fi/vili/labra/nurkka.jpg

[Edited on 5-4-2009 by domaani]

Either ways very impressive! Hats of to you! This has got to be once of the nicest home labs i have ever seen!

I am jealous :o

Magpie - 5-4-2009 at 15:41

Quote:

but having an emergency sauna for relaxation during massive series of syntheses...?)

Now that is a really good idea. Don't tell me you also have a lake handy to jump into...or do you just take a cold shower.

watson.fawkes - 6-4-2009 at 09:19

Quote: Originally posted by domaani  
Magpie: Thanks.
I have to say I find it amusing in a wry sort of way that you have this nice fume hood but haven't upgraded the sink. That is, unless you count the quick disconnect on the nozzle. Which I don't.

domaani - 6-4-2009 at 12:09

Quote: Originally posted by watson.fawkes  
I have to say I find it amusing in a wry sort of way that you have this nice fume hood but haven't upgraded the sink. That is, unless you count the quick disconnect on the nozzle. Which I don't.

That's something I'll just have to cope with. If the place was mine, I would have ripped the original cabinets off. There's no point in that now, the whole lab is moving to another location within a scope of two years. Then you'll see ;)

undead_alchemist - 6-4-2009 at 12:12

You were still very lucky to have that space when 12. many people still cant have that.. :)

16MillionEyes - 12-4-2009 at 19:05

You are totally right about that undead--I don't even have an official "lab" space and I'm well over 12. :(

Ozonelabs - 18-4-2009 at 13:04

Our new CO2(l) cylinder for in house dry-ice production. Next to it is our O2 cylinder.

Our H2 cylinder next to our N2 cylinder. The N2 cylinder has been rigged so that Nitrogen is available on the main work bench and in the fume hood.

Lambda-Eyde - 18-4-2009 at 13:24

O3: You guys just love warning signs, don't you? :P Nice pics by the way - makes me jealous.

I'm considering investing in a cylinder of argon or nitrogen when I build my lab. Unfortunately Yara basically has monopoly on bottled gas in Norway, and their prices for the rent of the cylinder are just outrageous! :mad:

[Edited on 18-4-2009 by Lambda-Eyde]

Magpie - 18-4-2009 at 14:27

Quote:

O3: You guys just love warning signs, don't you?

If Ozonelabs ever gets inspected by the "authorities" those placards will probably be the most important item on their list. :(

I'm curious to know if Ozonelabs had any difficulty in buying a cylinder of hydrogen?

Ozonelabs - 18-4-2009 at 14:32

Quote: Originally posted by Magpie  
those placards will probably be the most important item on their list.

Indeed- we always keep things appropriately marked for just such an occasion.

No, we had no troubles buying the Hydrogen cylinder.

Jor - 24-5-2009 at 10:43

A new addition: A flammables storage cabinet:

User - 25-5-2009 at 01:49

It is always nice to have one of those.
I was always staring at those things where i had my education.
Those holes are overpressure vents right?

1281371269 - 30-5-2009 at 05:52

Is it basically a metal cabinet with holes in it that has been painted yellow with fire retardent paint? If so, wouldn't it be cheaper to make one?

watson.fawkes - 30-5-2009 at 10:53

Quote: Originally posted by Mossydie  
Is it basically a metal cabinet with holes in it that has been painted yellow with fire retardent paint? If so, wouldn't it be cheaper to make one?
Not unless you've got a decent sheet metal shop. Those cabinets are double walled of heavier-than-ordinary gauge sheet, specially vented, welded together. The door has a closer with a fusible link that, in case of fire, automatically shuts to suppress disaster. These cabinets are often powder-coated with a thermosetting epoxy resin.

1281371269 - 30-5-2009 at 17:09

Thanks for the info...there's always more behind such things that there seems to be :)

Rich_Insane - 4-6-2009 at 21:39

I'm just curious guys (as I am setting up a lab of my own), how much monetary amount did it take to set up your lab total?

Just wondering.

DJF90 - 5-6-2009 at 07:28

I've not set up my lab either. Its a project for the summer. But I have a nice stainless steel table that I got for free so I'm happy about that. So far I suspect I've probably spent about 1200 GBP - this has got me a buchi rotovap, ohaus milligram balance, a 1L heating mantle, a 250ml heating mantle, lots of glassware and my only chemical so far... 40g of lithium :D

Ozonelabs - 5-6-2009 at 08:29

Here at Ozonelabs we have been lucky with a lot of our equipment and it does pay off to keep good relations with companies and institutions as a lot of our cabinets and equipment have come from such places.

We would estimate that we have spent around £700 on equipment including the fume-cupboard, however around £1000 on glassware and at least £1500 on chemicals.We would also recommened good storage facilities as safety should be paramount in a laboratory, good seperation of incompatible reagents and flammables is invaluable. It also really pays off to buy good equipment first time around rather than buying poorer equipment which may let you down at a bad time, glassware especially so. We also have to pay monthly cylinder rentals fo bare this in mind.

We found that an ordinary worktop works very well as a laboratory surface against harsh reagents and you can pick up offcuts cheaply from suppliers. Furthermore a simple pumping and storage system for water during long syntheses can really cut down on water costs. We would also recommend a good isolated circuit breaker and emergency power cut off button as hotplates, fumehoods, heating mantles, freezers and lights all put a strain on the supply and a fire is the last thing anyone wants. The emergency stop button again paramount as cutting the supply in event of a fire may be very difficult to do, and even a large spillage could cause an electircal hazard.

All in all a home laboratory is really a second job in managing it safely, but we think its fair to say that starting off small and slowly building it up gives a great sense of achievement and your collection will grow quicker than you think!

Best of luck to those planning a lab setup for the coming months!

Ozonelabs

Jor - 5-6-2009 at 09:18

I think I have spent quite a lot of money. For the fume hood, flammables safety cabinet and working bench (including tap water) together maybe 1000 EUR. But I recieved these as presents for high school graduation and 3x holiday present (didnt recieve a present for 3 years, as I didnt need anything). I know I am lucky on these :)

I have spend maybe 200 EURO on glasware, 100 EUR on a hotplate+stirrer and a 250mL mantle, and quite a lot on chemicals, I'm not sure how much.

Last half year I have hardly bought chemicals at all and mainly foccused on equipment, glasware and other things you need in a lab like disposables.
However, this weeks I will recieve my first large chem order again, wich incluses CCl4, As2O3, ethanol, ethyl acetate, and small amounts of other chemicals including lead acetate, sodium nitroprusside, acetonitril and some others.

pHzero - 5-6-2009 at 11:07

Here you go everyone: a guided tour of my "lab"

Here's my bookshelf. From left to right: n-heptane, caclium hypochlorite, meths, methylbenzene, HCl, Na2Cr2O7, propanone, NaHCO3. There are some horrible histories magazines on the bottom shelf from when i read them 5 years ago, and havent bothered clearing them out yet

The upper shelf of my bookshelf. A test tube of ferricyanide in a glass, a beaker of FeCl3 with an empty test tube in it and some phenolphthalein

My bedside table. From front to back: a lot of spills, FeCl3, potassium ferricyanide, sulfuric acid and KOH

My cupboard. Lots of KNO3 and lots of GAA

The garden table. From left to right, 5M NH3, NaCl, an empty jar, a beaker of Ag2O, a lighter, H2SO4 and NaOH in a cereal pourer.

A random bottle of HNO3 sitting on the lawn

The shed. 25l of MeOH, some formic acid (40% and 100%) and some benzyl alcohol

More shed. Acetic acid 30% and NaHCO3

Random distillation still, also sitting on the lawn

[Edited on 5-6-2009 by pHzero]

Jor - 5-6-2009 at 11:22

Nice.

But really, do something about your storage. Bottles standing horizontally in the garden, lots of flammables and mess all over the place. Try to clean up a little and buy or pick up a cabinet from waste sites in wich you can nicely put your bottles away.

To be honest, even though I know your are not running a drug lab and you are really interested in science, it does LOOK like a meth lab. You should clean up and make sure you have a clean place.

By the way, that's a nice 3Kg of sodium dichromate :P You bought that from eBay right? :D

[Edited on 5-6-2009 by Jor]

Ozonelabs - 5-6-2009 at 11:32

Ferricyanide and Sulphuric Acid on your BEDSIDE table?

For the sake of your own health move them somewhere! Of all of the chemical combinations I wouldn't want next to me- that's gotta be up there.

A winchester of Nitric Acid stored lying down, in the middle of your garden next to a brick. Sounds like an accident waiting to happen.

Flammables next to acids...

Please, keep all of your chemicals more safely. Wear goggles, gloves etc...

We all have to start somewhere, but with everything around like that it could be that you aren't around for long enough to learn from your mistakes.

pHzero - 5-6-2009 at 11:53

Quote: Originally posted by Jor  
Nice.

But really, do something about your storage. Bottles standing horizontally in the garden, lots of flammables and mess all over the place. Try to clean up a little and buy or pick up a cabinet from waste sites in wich you can nicely put your bottles away.

To be honest, even though I know your are not running a drug lab and you are really interested in science, it does LOOK like a meth lab. You should clean up and make sure you have a clean place.

By the way, that's a nice 3Kg of sodium dichromate :P You bought that from eBay right? :D

Hmm, I used to have all my bottles nice and tidy an upright in my wardrobe, organised into acids, alkalis, oxidisers, reducers, precious metals.... But then I get stuff out and don't bother putting it back. I should tidy it up over the weekend.

I know it looks like a meth lab xD
In fact, my mum thinks it is but says that she doesnt wanna know about it.

And yeah, the dichromate's from mistral_ie on ebay. I wouldnt really recommend them if you're looking for good quality chemicals though - their Zn's lumpy and their dichromate and KCl have black lumps in them.

Quote: Originally posted by Ozonelabs  
Ferricyanide and Sulphuric Acid on your BEDSIDE table?

For the sake of your own health move them somewhere! Of all of the chemical combinations I wouldn't want next to me- that's gotta be up there.

A winchester of Nitric Acid stored lying down, in the middle of your garden next to a brick. Sounds like an accident waiting to happen.

Flammables next to acids...

Please, keep all of your chemicals more safely. Wear goggles, gloves etc...

We all have to start somewhere, but with everything around like that it could be that you aren't around for long enough to learn from your mistakes.

Hmm, I hadnt thought of that... ferricyanide+acid --> hydrogen cyanide+ferric. I think I'll move the acid.

But yeah, I've gotta have a tidy-up on the weekend.

EmmisonJ - 5-6-2009 at 11:54

Quote: Originally posted by Ozonelabs  

looks like the garden table already learned a few lessons :D

nice collection, but definitely separate your chemicals. i'd be terrified if i left chemicals and lab glass out on the lawn i'd be raided in 24 hours tops and locked away for having a "meth lab". all it takes is suspicion, chemicals, and a half box of sudafed somewhere in your house and that's all they need. they don't care what's really going on, if you're interested in chemistry you're automatically a meth cook in LEO's eyes. be careful, f'ed up but true

panziandi - 5-6-2009 at 12:11

pHzero - I am shocked and amazed. The nitric acid sideways on the lawn is what jumped out at me, most idiotic and dangerous. As is a large bottle of concentrated sulphuric acid by the bed. I used to keep a few chemicals in my bedroom but they certainly were not chemicals that when accidentally dropped onto the floor would spew out HCN!

Please Please Please do SOMETHING. Get a filing cupboard, plastic storage boxes with lids etc. Store your chemicals, download MSDS read and familiarise yourself with where each should be stored. Just because acetic acid is corrosive, as is nitric acid, do not store them on the same shelf together in a corrosives cabinet, etc.

And store them preferably in your garage or outhouse, shed or garden tool cabinet (can get them in Argos etc would make a nice outside storage facility)

I expect DJF90 will attack soon, like vicious 68% HF or something....

Jor - I love your cabinet!

As to the cost of a lab set up, I have no idea... £££... I spent £150 on a custom dual bank, 3 port manifold. Other bits of kit include Variomag reaction black, Grant water bath, heat blocks, mantles, wide range of quickfit including various customised pieces I've had made.

Bad luck with analytical equipment however over the years, but I'm getting there! Grand total is well into the thousandS.

[Edited on 5-6-2009 by panziandi]

pHzero - 5-6-2009 at 12:18

Quote: Originally posted by panziandi  
pHzero - I am shocked and amazed. The nitric acid sideways on the lawn is what jumped out at me, most idiotic and dangerous. As is a large bottle of concentrated sulphuric acid by the bed. I used to keep a few chemicals in my bedroom but they certainly were not chemicals that when accidentally dropped onto the floor would spew out HCN!

Please Please Please do SOMETHING. Get a filing cupboard, plastic storage boxes with lids etc. Store your chemicals, download MSDS read and familiarise yourself with where each should be stored. Just because acetic acid is corrosive, as is nitric acid, do not store them on the same shelf together in a corrosives cabinet, etc.

And store them preferably in your garage or outhouse, shed or garden tool cabinet (can get them in Argos etc would make a nice outside storage facility)

I expect DJF90 will attack soon, like vicious 68% HF or something....

My mum's said I can have the garage to turn into a lab, so they'll probably end up there in my weekend tidy-up. Just need some light (i was thinking of some low bay metal halides off ebay), a desk and some plug sockets and I've got a lab :)

Oh and the H2SO4's moved now. I'm surprised I didn't notice the risk there, with the ferricyanide.

DJF90 - 5-6-2009 at 13:00

Where to start...
I thought before that maybe you were alright, but this has shown me just how stupid you really are. Firstly, and this is completely non-chemistry related, but your house and garden is a aweful mess! Who lives like that? Leaving stuff all out on the lawn and on the floor everywhere is a hazard in itself.

Secondly, bottles are meant to be stored upright. In most cases with glass bottles especially the lid is made of a different material (plastic) which may only have moderate resistance to the chemical contained. As it is not supposed to be in constant contact with the contained chemical, this is not normally a problem, but storing your bottles on their sides is bad practice. PLus if the lid is a little leaky (for whatever reason, maybe you;ve been chewing it or something, it really wouldnt suprise me) then storing the bottle upright (how it should be stored; take note!) prevents the chemical from leaving its container and dissolving your bookcase. Go figure.

Thirdly, you need to store your chemicals in compatible groups. MSDS will help you do that, so I suggest you find a source for that. I'm not going to help you with this one, I would hope you can find them yourself (or maybe you really are THAT stupid).

Fourthly, don't store chemicals in your living quarters. This include incompatabilities next to eachother on your bedside table. What happens if you accidentally knocked them off in the middle of the night and ended up being gassed with HCN?! (Now theres a nice thought...) And even if you woke up before having all your haemoglobin bound by cyanide you wouldnt be able to excape because your floor is a fucking mess! I do hope I'm not repeating myself...

Fifthly, you're storing 25L of methanol OUTSIDE, in the SUMMER, when it is WARM. Does this sound BAD to you? At 20C, its vapor pressure is about 1/7th of an atmosphere? Does it sound bad NOW? And the flash point is 11C. How about now?

I dont think I need to go on any more. Sort it out.

The_Davster - 5-6-2009 at 14:07

:D

Most covered has been covered, but the very important notes are don't store bottles on their side, and don't leave things on the lawn. The first has been explained, and the latter because that attracts unneeded legal attention. Especially when you have a pile of unlabeled baggies of white powder:P:o

Storage in living quarters is often unavoidable as a amateur chemist, but those where you sleep should be nonvolatile, and preferably of the type that do not produce instant death upon mixing:P

On the note of how much the lab costs, when I had mine it was about 2000 total over the years I had it.

[Edited on 5-6-09 by The_Davster]

woelen - 5-6-2009 at 14:08

This time I really have to agree with the other members! You MUST change things.

Point 1: Don't store chemicals in a place where you live many hours a day (bedroom, kitchen, living room). Even if you have good containers, there will be vapors and/or dust. You are exposed to chemicals in small quantities, which do not pose an immediate risk, but what is the effect in the long run? It is just as with smoking cigarettes. From one, or even a few cigarettes you will not get ill, but what if you smoke every day? Your exposure to chemicals builds up over the days, weeks, months, years. Avoid this! Put them in a garage, or in an attic room, but not where you are many hours a day.

Point 2: Don't experiment in a place where you live. This probably is even worse than storing things in a place where you live. Experiments always introduce vapor and dust, no matter how clean you are working.

Point 3: Some of your chemicals can be accessed by animals and who knows also by children. The stuff in the lawn can be picked up by anyone. Keep chemicals in a safe place where only you and your parents can access them.

If you care for your long term health change points 1 and 2 and if you care for other's health and safety also change point 3.

You are fortunate that I don't see really toxic stuff in your list, just the more common acids and ferricyanide. So, you are not yet exposed to bad vapors or cumulative poisons. But I know that in due time you tend to collect more and more chemicals, including the more toxic/cumulative stuff, such as metals salts (e.g. nickel, cobalt, lead) or organic solvents other than the simple alcohols and acetic acid, and then the long-term low-level exposure REALLY becomes a problem.

Now is the time to take action ;)

pHzero - 5-6-2009 at 14:25

Quote: Originally posted by woelen  
This time I really have to agree with the other members! You MUST change things.

Point 1: Don't store chemicals in a place where you live many hours a day (bedroom, kitchen, living room). Even if you have good containers, there will be vapors and/or dust. You are exposed to chemicals in small quantities, which do not pose an immediate risk, but what is the effect in the long run? It is just as with smoking cigarettes. From one, or even a few cigarettes you will not get ill, but what if you smoke every day? Your exposure to chemicals builds up over the days, weeks, months, years. Avoid this! Put them in a garage, or in an attic room, but not where you are many hours a day.

Point 2: Don't experiment in a place where you live. This probably is even worse than storing things in a place where you live. Experiments always introduce vapor and dust, no matter how clean you are working.

Point 3: Some of your chemicals can be accessed by animals and who knows also by children. The stuff in the lawn can be picked up by anyone. Keep chemicals in a safe place where only you and your parents can access them.

If you care for your long term health change points 1 and 2 and if you care for other's health and safety also change point 3.

You are fortunate that I don't see really toxic stuff in your list, just the more common acids and ferricyanide. So, you are not yet exposed to bad vapors or cumulative poisons. But I know that in due time you tend to collect more and more chemicals, including the more toxic/cumulative stuff, such as metals salts (e.g. nickel, cobalt, lead) or organic solvents other than the simple alcohols and acetic acid, and then the long-term low-level exposure REALLY becomes a problem.

Now is the time to take action ;)

Right, tomorrow I'm going to claim the garage. All its got in there (of mine) so far is a 25kg sack of NaOH and a 25l fermenting bin bubbling away. There's a chest of drawers at the back which I can store small bottles in, and shelves where I can put bigger things, but thats probably a bad idea cause they'll fall and smash. Still need to do something about lighting, all there is is a terminal block hanging from the ceiling... I might cycle down to homebase and get some £9.99 fluorescent tubes

entropy51 - 5-6-2009 at 14:37

We are looking at the reason that chemicals are no longer available to all of us down at the corner drug store or even from Fisher.

Those of us who grew up in the 1950's with chemistry sets learned how to handle chemicals. By the time we were old enough to talk the pharmacist into selling us nitric acid and chloroform we had learned how to store and use chemicals, and we usually didn't get into trouble.

Unfortunately this is an unintended consequence of isolating school age people from chemicals: they have no clue!

pHzero, I have to echo the comments of the others, and I would add another caution: please don't buy such large quantities of chemicals. What would have been a minor accident with 100 mL will be a catastrophe with 5 liters!:(

If a suspicious meter reader or an unfriendly neighbor calls the police, there is a very real chance that you will end up in prison. These days, if it looks like a meth lab a prosecutor can convince the average chemophobic jury that it is a meth lab.

Time to get your act together.

A 25 kg sack of NaOH? It will probably turn in a soggy mass of sodium carbonate before you can use it all. It absorbs both CO2 and moisture if exposed to air.

[Edited on 5-6-2009 by entropy51]

[Edited on 6-6-2009 by entropy51]

len1 - 5-6-2009 at 14:41

Sign of the crazy times we live in. Those slightly older and so lucky enough to remember a different world will know that its possible to live without a duplicious pretence at safety - just common sense. There were no MSDS sheets then, chemical danger signs, fire retardant cabinets were not used for ordinary solvents even in large institutions. And what a surprise - people concentrated on doing real science. As they say idle hands do the devils work. MSDS sheets are mostly a waste of time - written to avoid litigation should anything happen. Every concern has chemical hazard signs now for same reason. When every door has these signs, and all chemicals are labelled as a potential hazard we have finally achieved our aim.

panziandi - 5-6-2009 at 14:49

pHzero, get down to homebase B&Q Argos etc, get the lights and storage sorted out. Safely store your chemicals first, then get a bag of mixed bungs off eBay and some safety equipment etc then you can handle your chemicals safely. Then I think you should grab a camera and start snapping some piccies of some chemistry! :P

P.S.

1) I think I see Dichromate in his photos so woelen... he has a nice large plastic bag or cat II carcinogen.
2) Only Sauron and Hector should buy in bulk :P

pHzero - 5-6-2009 at 15:03

pHzero, get down to homebase B&Q Argos etc, get the lights and storage sorted out. Safely store your chemicals first, then get a bag of mixed bungs off eBay and some safety equipment etc then you can handle your chemicals safely. Then I think you should grab a camera and start snapping some piccies of some chemistry! :P

P.S.

1) I think I see Dichromate in his photos so woelen... he has a nice large plastic bag or cat II carcinogen.
2) Only Sauron and Hector should buy in bulk :P

Haha, yep, will do :) And yeah, I got the dichromate to measure the % ethanol in a solution. I don't really need 3kg, but you could get 3kg for 20 quid or 1kg for 15, so i went for 3kg

And len1, I know exactly what you mean. Dichromate and KCN are both given the same health warning. Although it wouldnt be at all advisable, you could probably eat a few grams of dichromate fairly safely. And then ferric chloride - its classified as corrosive, but i know from my own personal experience that all it does is make your skin feel dry. And its classified the same way as sulfuric acid, or even peroxymonosulfuric acid.

Entropy1, I got a 25kg sack of NaOH because:
It was cheap, £28 delivered.
Its useful as a general purpose base
You can use it to make hydrogen by adding aluminium foil
It only contains Na+ ions, oxygen and hydrogen, so there's no environmental problem with it

entropy51 - 5-6-2009 at 15:19

"Haha, yep...You could probably eat a few grams of dichromate fairly safely."

Well, if you ignore the fact that it ulcerates mucous membranes, and is a known carcinogen. The lethal dose is 25 mg/kg, so assuming you weigh 50 kg, it cerainly wouldn't be a good idea to eat a "few grams", would it?

"It was cheap...so there's no environmental problem with it."

No one needs 25 Kg of caustic alkali in their home or garage. I haven't used 25 kg in the past 50 years. How will you dispose of all these materials when you lose interest in chemistry? And you probably will, since it's becoming painfully obvious that you aren't taking chemistry seriously.

As, I said "no clue". Haha, yep.

pHzero - 5-6-2009 at 15:28

Quote: Originally posted by entropy51  
"Haha, yep...You could probably eat a few grams of dichromate fairly safely."

Well, if you ignore the fact that it ulcerates mucous membranes, and is probably a carcinogen.

Ok, you're taking that quote out of conext. I meant relatively, compared to KCN. I'm not saying that its a good idea to go eating hexavalent chromium, I'm just trying to say that the two things are in a completely different league.

Jor - 5-6-2009 at 15:30

No dichromate has high acute toxicity. The mentioned lethal doses very between sources but it is between 1 and 10 grams. The result of poisoning is liver failure (or was it kidney?). I read a medical report where someone attempted suicide with dichromate. His liver (or kidney's, dont remember) was failing, and they were ready to give him a new healthy organ, but waited on purpose to let the organ absorb as much chromium as possible, so that the new organ would suffer little damage. Without treatment the person would have died. And he ingested only a few grams! Sorry I'm going offtopic. :P

So with the chemicals you have now, you could experiment in your room, but I would not advice it at all. However, dichromate is an unacceptable risk to use in a living quarters. It is a cat 1 known human carcinogen by inhalation, and probably carcinogenic by other routes although this has not been proven. It causes lung cancer.

Because it is cheap don't just buy it! If I want I can buy 10 liters of chloroform for 60 EUR, 25L of 65% nitric acid for 40 EUR or 5kg of sodium dichromate for 30 EUR. But having these materials at home at such quantities, is not responsible, and you will ask for trouble. Instead stay with 100g-250g quantities, and if possible even less. Only the common chemicals like acids, common solvents and standard chems like NaOH should be present is larger quantities, but no more than 2,5L. I have no single chemicals present in my lab in larger quantities that 1L, except for NaOH (1,5Kg), sulfuric acid (3L), nitric acid (1,5L) and hydrochloric acid (6L :) ). I also have a liter of all these acids stored in a house far away from me in the countryside, as I dont need it for a long time.
But remember I store these in a lab wich is a much more safe environment than yours, I think. See some pics here:
http://amateurchemie.nl/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=54

Some things have changed. All acids are in containment trays and ALL flammables and toxins are stored in a flammables cabinet, wich is lockable.

Oh, and ofcourse NaHCO3 you can store as much as you want. It probably less hazardous than table salt. Keep it small to keep it safe !

panziandi - 5-6-2009 at 15:32

pHzero:

I think you are grossly underestimating dichromates:

"Lowest Published Lethal Dose:
LDL [Man] - Route: Oral; Dose: 143 mg/kg
LDL [Child] - Route: Oral; Dose 26 mg/kg (Potassium dichromate)"

Lethal doses are usually listed as LD50 since its an average because toxicity of a compound depends on the metabolism of the individuals, however 143mg/kg assuming a weight of 55kg would be 7865mg (7.87g) of potassium dichromate. That would lead to acute poisoning. Dichromate is carcinogenic (whilst you are cycling to homebase, call into blockbuster and rent Erin Brochovich) so ok you consume "a few grams" your clever body will recognise Cr(VI) as sulphur... it will get around to killing you a few years later no doubt.

Jor - 5-6-2009 at 15:42

pHzero:

I think you are grossly underestimating dichromates:

"Lowest Published Lethal Dose:
LDL [Man] - Route: Oral; Dose: 143 mg/kg
LDL [Child] - Route: Oral; Dose 26 mg/kg (Potassium dichromate)"

Lethal doses are usually listed as LD50 since its an average because toxicity of a compound depends on the metabolism of the individuals, however 143mg/kg assuming a weight of 55kg would be 7865mg (7.87g) of potassium dichromate. That would lead to acute poisoning. Dichromate is carcinogenic (whilst you are cycling to homebase, call into blockbuster and rent Erin Brochovich) so ok you consume "a few grams" your clever body will recognise Cr(VI) as sulphur... it will get around to killing you a few years later no doubt.

A bit offtopic but how does your body recognize dichromate as sulfur? I always thought the cells could easily absorb chromates, and in the cells Cr(VI) is reduced to Cr(III) via Cr(V), wich produces hydroxyl radicals with will cause mutations. Also the Cr(III) although harmless in very low concentrations, will disturb DNA polymerisation and cause mutations in DNA. So Cr(III) is the real bad one (forms so many complexes, including DNA, while dichromate is actually non-coordinating), but dichromate is just a way to get chromium into the cell as Cr(III) can hardly get into the cell AFAIK. Besides Cr(III) probably complexes proteins involved as soon as it is formed, while Cr(III)-compounds absorbed are already complexed to water or Cl(-), or something else and are very inert.

panziandi - 5-6-2009 at 15:47

Chromate or Cr(VI) is recognised as sulphate my ion channels IIRC and is thus imported into cells. Within the cell it is then able to cause toxicity by various routes, reduction to Cr(III), oxidation of various compounds. I haven't read up on the toxicology of Cr(VI) for quite a few years but many studies are out there in the literature.

Ozonelabs - 5-6-2009 at 16:12

I think that pHzero has gotten the point.

He was wrong and he will hopefully be rectifying his mistakes.

Back on topic, here is a new item of glassware we have recently acquired-

Designed to be attached to the vacuum port of a Rotovap at the top port and to the vacuum source on the bottom one. The reservoir is to be filled with Dry Ice/Acetone in order that any vapors not condensed by the condenser don't get into the vacuum pump.

Also, it can be used to conveniently liquify gases. Demonstrations of this use will be posted up soon!

The miscellaneous bottles behind the main piece of glass are for shipping out chemicals to the members of this site that have placed orders with us!

Thanks,

Ozonelabs

Sedit - 5-6-2009 at 17:57

@pHzero

Don't hurry and go clean your yard for the folks here,
Don't go and store them bottles the way the people here want you to either.

Do it for your self. You enjoy chemistry and I think that being able to look at nice collection of chemicals stored where they can be seen and is safe will make you feel more like a chemist then all the glassware and chemicals in the world. A good clean work area is something that will make you feel as though you have stepped up from lowly splish splash experimenter to an amuture chemist... Even if you keep with the splish splash chemistry:P. My work area is crap ... Just a bench and a bunch of homemade equipment and seeing equipment like ozones above me make me hate some of you(.....in a good way;) ). But let me tell you the cleaner and more organized your work area becomes the more confidence you will gain to tackle more daunting projects that you would not have even dreamed of before.

Do it for your self Phzero not for us at all.

1281371269 - 6-6-2009 at 09:04

Here here!
Let's face it - if something does go badly wrong with the way he stores his chemicals, the only one that he will harm is himself (and maybe an unlucky cat...but hey, Schrödinger killed plenty of them).
People with badly arranged labs are not the reason it's no longer possible to easily buy chemicals, rather, terrorism, drugs, and media promoted fear of science are to blame.
Chemistry is a new hobby for me, but I know from another of my hobbies, woodwork, that what Sedit says is exactly true - in fact I knew someone who spent two years sorting out his workshop before he even made anything! (And then promptly moved house...) Having a nice work area, in this case lab, will not make you better at what you are doing but it will increase the effeciency with which you are able to go about it, as well as your pride in what you are doing.

UnintentionalChaos - 6-6-2009 at 09:49

People with badly arranged labs are not the reason it's no longer possible to easily buy chemicals, rather, terrorism, drugs, and media promoted fear of science are to blame.

But, the more badly arranged a lab is, especially with bottles on the lawn and such, the more likely it is to be noticed by the police or people who might call the police. Then you have everyone in the neighborhood freaking out, and you stand a good chance of losing all of your stuff and being taken to court as a suspected drug cook. All of this is not good publicity for our hobby. Plus, even if they don't find you guilty, people will assume that all hobby chemists are irresponsible with chemicals and are putting their communities in danger.

[Edited on 6-6-09 by UnintentionalChaos]

1281371269 - 6-6-2009 at 10:24

No, they're more likely to assume that they are living next to a scary crazy person whom the police are 'taking care of'. I don't think any but a few members of the public are aware of chemistry as a hobby, and if they are then only on a cheap chemistry set level and not with lots of scary looking glassware and chemicals. Anyone working with such things is immediately assumed a bomber or drug maker. The point I make is that very little is likely to lower the public's impression of such activities, and until the ridiculous 'war on terror' thing gets forgotten it is unlikely to get higher, either.

The_Davster - 6-6-2009 at 14:11

Bingo, but rather it is the media and politicians almost entirely. I do not blame drugs or terrorism, it is when the media, which is largely people with no science background, attempt to report on the things that they could not understand in highschool or university. And the politicians for creating the useless laws by which someone doing nothing causing harm can be arrested for.

The average sheep does not know what white phosphorus is. When their TV tells them that its used to make drugs or in incendiary munitions (that burn THE CHILDREN!!!) we then get the laws regarding simple possession that can be applied against those with no malicious intent.

But perhaps it would be best to get back to the topic of lab pictures, I am sure he understands what would be a good idea to do with his chemicals now.;)

[Edited on 6-6-09 by The_Davster]

len1 - 6-6-2009 at 14:38

Quote:

Last century we had drugs and terrorism (in the 1970's hijackings were almost as regular as explosions in iraq, and we had the mass killing of the Israeli olympic team in 1972). None of these things have altered much, here now as then. Yet it didnt even occur to me there could be anything sinister in my cupboard of chemicals at home - I often did experiments in the garage where the neighbours could see - once again no one had any thoughts of the types people have at present.

Now they think completely differently. Why? People need bogies - something bad they are fighting against - a cause. If there isnt an enemy - theyll find one. Last century we had the cold war, plus memories of the very real calamities of WWII stopped us from becoming too precious. Now as these fad new things had to be found.

Magpie - 6-6-2009 at 16:13

Quote:

People need bogies - something bad they are fighting against - a cause.

Yes, it wasn't so long ago that people were being burned at the stake for being a witch, in the US.

witch2.jpg - 112kB

1281371269 - 6-6-2009 at 16:34

Ha, I like the picture, what a great film that is...

The thing is, fear of chemistry is just too easy! People don't really look at the risks on a quantative level. For example, I could buy a bandsaw (if I saved up the money...) and no one would bat an eyebrow, even though it could take fingers off in less than a second. I often work with heavy bits of wood spinning at a few hundred rpm and don't think twice about it. But when something's sitting in a glass tube, fuming and bubbling away happily to itself, it is very scary - partly I expect due to fear of the unknown which is built in safety measure resulting from the process of evolution / natural selection.
I have a few times read the MSDS of some or other element or compound and refused to allow myself to get any, even though with the correct precautions it would be highly unlikely to do any damage.

Rich_Insane - 6-6-2009 at 21:28

I'm just wondering how much of a lab I could set up with $350? That's all I have, and my parents just won't buy labware/chems.

Provided I have two 100 mL Round (round) bottom flasks, 1 beaker (250 mL), 1 reflux condenser, one 100 mL graduated cylinder, polypropylene I believe, one 10 mL glass graduated cylinder, a funnel, somehow some 100 um paper filters that take quite a while to work, and 10 test tubes.

I'm just starting out, doing this whole operation in the summer.

UnintentionalChaos - 6-6-2009 at 22:01

Quote: Originally posted by Rich_Insane  
I'm just wondering how much of a lab I could set up with $350? That's all I have, and my parents just won't buy labware/chems.

Provided I have two 100 mL Round (round) bottom flasks, 1 beaker (250 mL), 1 reflux condenser, one 100 mL graduated cylinder, polypropylene I believe, one 10 mL glass graduated cylinder, a funnel, somehow some 100 um paper filters that take quite a while to work, and 10 test tubes.

I'm just starting out, doing this whole operation in the summer.

Well, are you more interested in organic, inorganic, microscale stuff? Those paper filters are probably meant to be used with a proper buchner funnel, through which the liquid moves fairly quickly. :P

I would put an aspirator and buchner funnel/filtering flask high up on your list as they save a lot of frustration. Also, it's just about pointless to try much preparative work without a scale. I've tried.

I've spent about $1000 on equipment so far and know there is at least another couple hundred before I'm completely settled. (for now). I have a complete 24/40 ground glass distillation/fractionating/etc. setup (with a large selection of boiling/reaction and recieving flasks) running off a Corning PC-351 hot plate stirrer. I have beakers, crucibles, watch glasses, graduated cylinders, a buret, 250x test tubes, evaporating dishes, a vacuum filtration setup, a full set of volumetric flasks from 1L down to 10mL, seperatory funnels, and a good lab scale (two decimal places with glass windscreens. After my $30 "pocket scale" kicked the bucket, I splurged on a much higher quality one) Hell, I probably have $100 of containers for various chemicals, including 3 dozen 1L amber glass reagent bottles.

Soon to come: fume hood and a good grid to hang my nice castaloy clamps off of. Right now, I have two questionable upright rod stands which let me distill just fine, but are pretty seriously lacking.

[Edited on 6-7-09 by UnintentionalChaos]

Sedit - 6-6-2009 at 22:02

I discussed a micro organic chemistry set here:http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=11665

I felt it was a fair price at around $350 or so but others here felt that it may or maynot be. Ebay has really cheep stuff but I am a little leary of it because atlest I know what I get from Ace has a warrenty with it. Sadly money situation went south real quick as I was writing that threed so I never got a chance to purchase the articals I wanted:(

Rich_Insane - 6-6-2009 at 23:53

I'm more into organic/inorganic. Microscale kind of.... idk.... offs me.

Corrections. I checked my inventory: I have four 250 mL Florence flasks (2 flat, 2 round), and one 100 mL beaker (these are corrections.

They are all (except the plastic graduated cylinder) made by a company called Borosil, which is probably based in India (where I bought these). Ebay seems OK to me for pure reagents, but sometimes the prices are too much. I've only got $350, and I already see a Pyrex kit for $530..... already over my budget. I did however find a nice distillation kit for $199, but that's already more than 1/3 of my budget.... Is it worth it? I would need to buy a heating device, which would already be another 1/3 of my budget.

Is there any way to measure what size my two flasks are? (Like 24/40 etc). When I bought them from a dusty old surplus store they made no mention of it.

What really bothers me is that glassware/labware already costs more than 2/3 of my budget :o. That means I'll have very little for chemicals.

[Edited on 7-6-2009 by Rich_Insane]

Pages:  1  2    4  ..  7