Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Tour My Lab

Pages:  1  ..  4    6  

NedsHead - 8-1-2016 at 04:04

Nice lab space j_sum1, I was hoping you would do a "Tour My Lab". most of my glassware and equipment is still packed away in storage containers otherwise I would put up some pics as well. the shelf above the work bench looks a bit scary, might be time for a new piece of timber?

The Volatile Chemist - 12-1-2016 at 13:43

Indeed, fine lab j_sum1! I like the 'rag' you have your ground glass sitting on, we used those all the time at the auto-shop I worked at.

Zephyr - 12-1-2016 at 14:01

Cool lab j_sum1! I'm envious of that nice heating mantle. What is growing on the tree near your lab?

j_sum1 - 12-1-2016 at 19:51

Thanks pinkhippo, tvc and nedshead.
I really needed a good solution for storing glassware because if I didn't, I'd end up stacking stuff on top of it and breaking it. Boxes with shaped polystyrene with the rag glued on top has turned out to be a really good solution.
The tree you see is a lemon. On the other side is a really prolific lime. I pruned a couple of metres off the top a few weeks ago. Just behind me in the photo is a mulberry. And on the ground are potatoes, parsley, mint, thyme, oregano, sage and a few flower bulbs -- and a bunch of weeds.

The Volatile Chemist - 13-1-2016 at 08:21

A fine garden, then, indeed. I definitely want a lab-side gardden in the future. Also, some lab cats...

Zephyr - 13-1-2016 at 22:23

Quote: Originally posted by The Volatile Chemist  
lab cats...

Maybe if you extract some nepetalactone...

[Edited on 1-14-2016 by Pinkhippo11]

j_sum1 - 14-1-2016 at 05:20

lab dogs are more common than lab cats.

edit
btw, I haven't seen gardul around for a while.

[Edited on 14-1-2016 by j_sum1]

The Volatile Chemist - 20-1-2016 at 16:28

Yeah, I don't think he's been here for a while. Max Gergel talks about lab cats a lot in his "Isopropyl bromide" book.

Just showing off my humble table top lab

XeonTheMGPony - 30-1-2016 at 12:23

Still growing but I figured I'd share my lil work space and show off the new gear from Alchemy glass. This is a far cry from what I once have, back when I lived in the shitty (Ahhem, city) I had pretty well every thing stolen tools glass wear computers every thing so will need to spend serious cash befor I have a more functional set up (Need to build a proper desk / fume hood too) there are other things too but pointles showing pics of that (Epson salt, bicarb so on.)

The reagent jar is my purified and filtered sulfuric acid from drain cleaner, it goes from dark brown to off yellow oil! it is concentrated to 96.5%

Treat it with 200Ml of 35% peroxide then boil for 3h, once cool I filter it through fiber glass filter backed by fine stainless steel mesh.

Be for I filter it to the storage bottle I weigh out 100Ml to determine the % of concentration if below 95% I boil it longer till it is 95 or better %.

The wire you see is 30 guage NiChrome, and into the cap is 20 guage copper speaker wire.

The container on top of the truvia is purified Erythritol.

Any questions or comments are welcome. All so share your photos too. and mods if all ready such a thread please do move this post there.

full spread.jpg - 383kB glas wear 1.jpg - 285kB glas wear 2.jpg - 281kB product lables1.jpg - 301kB product lables 2.jpg - 151kB Clean acid!.jpg - 202kB

Detonationology - 30-1-2016 at 12:40

Titebond?

XeonTheMGPony - 30-1-2016 at 13:01

Yup excellent glue for making the paper caps that I use, easy to clean up, it falls under the same title of the Nichrom, basically it is a purpose driven set up so it includes the stuff that the resulting chemicals are used with.

That's why I show a finished cap along with a blank shell and the nichrom.

Another really high quality strong glue is WeldBond, it is another water soluble glue used for general stuff.

The Volatile Chemist - 3-2-2016 at 15:21

Nice lab photos. Good idea to write the tare value on the containers.

XeonTheMGPony - 3-2-2016 at 16:09

TY. Ya nothing worse then trying to make sure you have enough reagent then lose chemical by putting it in another container to measure it out.

So to make life easy for my self I put the tare weight of container + lid, and tare of container no lid. That way you can know what you have precisely with out any mucking about!

The Volatile Chemist - 3-2-2016 at 16:27

Quote: Originally posted by XeonTheMGPony  
TY. Ya nothing worse then trying to make sure you have enough reagent then lose chemical by putting it in another container to measure it out.

So to make life easy for my self I put the tare weight of container + lid, and tare of container no lid. That way you can know what you have precisely with out any mucking about!

A good plan. I usually do my final weighing when I make something I already have a lot of by taring the balance with the container and compound, but your method works great.

Zephyr - 21-2-2016 at 19:30

Today I am proud to present something which has been in the works for the last few months: My Lab Version 2.0

It's been tough going without chemistry during construction, but I think I'll be able to make up for lost time with a hood which I purchased and refurbished, an additional table, and a craigslist deal which has left me with enough glass, chemicals, and equipment to last me several years.

Now, without further adieu, my new lab:

a4Q3Bi1.jpg - 274kB

ARhYpHr.jpg - 437kB

QgCQgB5.jpg - 330kB

JUs3VjA.jpg - 401kB

HyQXd0w.jpg - 638kB

Magpie - 21-2-2016 at 19:59

Your lab is awesome! That must be a 6' hood?

Do you have a sink? If not, you will surely want one.

[Edited on 22-2-2016 by Magpie]

Zephyr - 21-2-2016 at 20:12

Thanks Magpie! It is indeed a 6' hood.

You're completely right about a sink, and I have a metal basin and faucet, although I still need to construct the table for it, and space is getting a little tight :(
Maybe I could sink it into the wooden table?

Texium - 21-2-2016 at 20:26

Wow Zephyr, your old lab space was nice but this takes it to a whole new level.

Also, I like how you put one of your SM patches in every picture. :)

Metacelsus - 22-2-2016 at 08:12

Super cool. That hood actually has a working sash (much better than my homebuilt one). You even have a rotavap. (Where'd you get it? The Craigslist deal?)

Zephyr - 22-2-2016 at 10:11

I appreciate all the responses!
Thanks for noticing the patches Zach, there are still a few left if anyone wants to buy some...
Although I an saying goodbye to my old home made hood, I'm not too sad to see it go.
And you're correct, I did get the rotovap on craigslist, otherwise i would never have been able to afford it.

Magpie - 22-2-2016 at 11:05

Quote: Originally posted by Zephyr  
... I have a metal basin and faucet, although I still need to construct the table for it, and space is getting a little tight :(
Maybe I could sink it into the wooden table?

I think that is a good idea. You need table space beside the sink on which to set glassware before and after cleaning.

I recommend placing the sink as close as possible to the hood to save many steps.

The Volatile Chemist - 22-2-2016 at 16:56

Zephyr, that's quite a chemical collection, where'd you obtain some of the larger, older stuff?

Texium - 22-2-2016 at 17:53

I may be getting a new lab space within the next couple of months too... we'll see. My dad wants to get a decent sized storage building and is willing to let me use half of it to get all of my stuff out of the corner of the garage that I currently use. It won't be a huge space, but it'll be better than what I have now and I'll probably be able to move most of my glassware out of my bedroom/bathroom where I currently store it too. I'm hoping to have a pretty big sink, and an exhaust fan if not a fume hood. I have a squirrel cage fan from our old air conditioner that should work quite well.

Unfortunately, I will only have a few months to enjoy the space on a regular basis before I move out for college, but I won't be far away, so weekend visits would be possible. :)

HeYBrO - 23-2-2016 at 02:13

Quote: Originally posted by zts16  
I may be getting a new lab space within the next couple of months too... we'll see. My dad wants to get a decent sized storage building and is willing to let me use half of it to get all of my stuff out of the corner of the garage that I currently use. It won't be a huge space, but it'll be better than what I have now and I'll probably be able to move most of my glassware out of my bedroom/bathroom where I currently store it too. I'm hoping to have a pretty big sink, and an exhaust fan if not a fume hood. I have a squirrel cage fan from our old air conditioner that should work quite well.

Unfortunately, I will only have a few months to enjoy the space on a regular basis before I move out for college, but I won't be far away, so weekend visits would be possible. :)

Sounds good, especially the fumehood part. Say, why is that americans are so keen on moving out when they go to college? (other than to go interstate) in australia i have found it very different than what is shown on american media.

Texium - 23-2-2016 at 06:51

Well, for me at least, the closest good universities (including the one I will attend) are still about an hour long commute from where I currently live. If I was closer, I probably wouldn't move out. There's also the idea that it's good to live on campus your first year or two, so that you can get to know fellow students better and become more immersed in campus life.

MrHomeScientist - 23-2-2016 at 09:11

Living on my own at college was probably the best experience of my life. It prepares you to enter the real world and you're surrounded by hundreds of other people that are your same age group, and many of them share your interests. My parents are and home life was great, but I wouldn't trade that experience for anything.

arkoma - 23-2-2016 at 15:33

Well, for me at least, the closest good universities (including the one I will attend) are still about an hour long commute from where I currently live. If I was closer, I probably wouldn't move out. There's also the idea that it's good to live on campus your first year or two, so that you can get to know fellow students better and become more immersed in campus life.

Not to mention Coeds *cough*

farlepet - 26-2-2016 at 13:27

Finally got around to cleaning my lab space:

IMG_0545.JPG - 2.2MB IMG_0546.JPG - 1.5MB IMG_0547.JPG - 2.3MB IMG_0548.JPG - 2.1MB IMG_0549.JPG - 1.4MB IMG_0550.JPG - 1.3MB IMG_0551.JPG - 1.2MB IMG_0552.JPG - 1.1MB

The Volatile Chemist - 27-2-2016 at 10:22

Quote: Originally posted by arkoma  

Not to mention Coeds *cough*

*cough* :D
I'd love to move out, but I probably will end up going to a local university, so it'll be tough to convince my parents of the profit of moving out...also the cost of board might be an issue, though I think there are some scholarships that can apply to dorms. Looking forward to going to a university, but I still have another year till graduation of high school...

Farlepet, you've got quite a nice, clean space there! You appear to do electronics work, too, which makes it hard to keep things clean and not cluttered...

Texium - 23-4-2016 at 18:08

The new lab space I mentioned in the quoted post showed up last week. :D

I got everything moved over to it and I'm really loving the space. It's certainly motivating me to do chemistry every day now rather than just once a week or so. I haven't yet set up the sink or the fan, but hopefully that will be done by the end of next month before it starts getting really hot. I will post pictures of it (added on to this post) soon.

j_sum1 - 23-4-2016 at 18:47

I can't wait to see it zts.

Texium - 23-4-2016 at 21:07

Now that I have less clutter and more privacy, I'm also thinking of starting to make YouTube videos. To keep me going for a while, I'm planning to make a series of videos that will culminate in running a Grignard. First I'll have distillation of bromine and preparation of phosphorus tribromide, next, bromination of an alcohol, then fractional distillation and drying of ether from starter fluid, and then finally preparation of a Grignard reagent and reaction of it with some carbonyl containing compound. I haven't decided on the alcohol or the carbonyl yet, there are many possibilities, and there isn't anything I'm trying to make in particular. I just want to do the reaction.

Sulaiman - 23-4-2016 at 23:45

farlepet,
nice lab,
I see that you also combine chemistry and electronics hobbies,

keep your hydrochloric acid fumes away from your electronics and tools ... super efficient rusting !

The Volatile Chemist - 30-4-2016 at 09:15

Quote: Originally posted by Sulaiman  

keep your hydrochloric acid fumes away from your electronics and tools ... super efficient rusting !

heh, yeah, I was noticing that recently...

K2ArO7 - 15-5-2016 at 09:27

3 different labs.
First pic is my chemistry/electricity lab.
Second pic is my electronic lab.
Third pic is a portable suitcase lab.
These labs are to some degree used in my job, it is not all hobby!

615_7904.JPG - 96kB B15_1814.JPG - 105kB

[Edited on 15-5-2016 by K2ArO7]

[Edited on 15-5-2016 by K2ArO7]

316_3324.jpg - 120kB

100PercentChemistry - 15-5-2016 at 09:39

Jealous of some of your labs :)

NedsHead - 15-5-2016 at 21:24

is that a WiseStir hotplate K2Ar07? I have one and really like it

K2ArO7 - 16-5-2016 at 07:31

Quote: Originally posted by NedsHead  
is that a WiseStir hotplate K2Ar07? I have one and really like it

That is correct, it really works nice.

blogfast25 - 16-5-2016 at 08:16

Quote: Originally posted by K2ArO7  
3 different labs.
First pic is my chemistry/electricity lab.
Second pic is my electronic lab.
Third pic is a portable suitcase lab.
These labs are to some degree used in my job, it is not all hobby!

Very impressive.

Welcome!

Firmware21 - 17-5-2016 at 13:00

Here's what i've got

There's an evident lack of sink and fumehood, which are subtituted by :
1. Going outside when needed
2. Cleaning the glassware in my designated W.C sink...

Also, there's this annoying carpet that i've already trashed with minor spills of reaction mixtures.

DSC_0118.JPG - 2.6MB DSC_0115.JPG - 2.7MB

Where I keep most of my glassware/stuff/Reagent (with the more nervous ones somewhere else...)

DSC_0093.JPG - 3MB DSC_0117.JPG - 3.2MB

This badass Soviet Era Centrifuge (Traded for a little glassware)

DSC_0116.JPG - 2.8MB

And some of my latest acquisitions :) (Second Hand Vol. Flasks)

DSC_0098.JPG - 2.2MB

DSC_0109.JPG - 2.9MB DSC_0105.JPG - 2.5MB

The Volatile Chemist - 17-5-2016 at 15:14

Cool labs K2ArO7, the first one looks like it could be on a boat, some kind of portable research lab. T'would be cool if it were :)
Firmware, that's a sweet centrifuge, and a cool lab in general! I like the lab-bedroom integration :D Not that I'd ever have one in my room, personally, but aesthetically appealing household labs are always cool, and something I want in the future.

j_sum1 - 18-5-2016 at 03:06

Well, good news and bad news for me.

Looks like I am about to lose my lab for a while. I'll need to pack it up and it will be out of action for a bit.

The good news is that we are buying a new house -- that is, if our offer is accepted. I will be able to build a spacious dedicated space for a lab and won't have to share bench or storage space with other things. I'll probably acquisition a fridge-freezer at the same time. I can build a fume cupboard (assuming I can figure out a good place to vent to). So, watch this space for j_sum1_labspace 2.0 in a few months.

My relatively new laboratory :)

KodasLab - 20-6-2016 at 16:41

Please excuse the messy fume hood and (temporary) chemical storage, I'm planning on getting a proper acid base cabinet eventually.

[Edited on 21-6-2016 by KodasLab]

bBkMM44_edit.jpg - 151kB

DSC03282_edit.jpg - 154kB

DSC03284_edit.jpg - 148kB

DSC03283_edit.jpg - 149kB

Edit: Reduced image size

[Edited on 7-5-2016 by zts16]

j_sum1 - 20-6-2016 at 17:01

Wow. Nice space. I am inspired. (I'll be building myself a new space in a couple of months. I might pinch some of your ideas.)

As an aside, I am not sure how you embedded these pictures but they are oversized for my browser. If you edit your post and use the upload file feature at the bottom then they should resize appropriately while still allowing viewers access to the hi res if they need it.

The Volatile Chemist - 23-6-2016 at 11:18

Nice lab! Though the pictures probably need adjusting (I've done it too, though...)
Haha, is that a graduated cylinder I see with one of those things used to measure the density of ethanol to determine concentration? :)

j_sum1 - 15-12-2016 at 16:18

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  
Well, good news and bad news for me.

Looks like I am about to lose my lab for a while. I'll need to pack it up and it will be out of action for a bit.

The good news is that we are buying a new house -- that is, if our offer is accepted. I will be able to build a spacious dedicated space for a lab and won't have to share bench or storage space with other things. I'll probably acquisition a fridge-freezer at the same time. I can build a fume cupboard (assuming I can figure out a good place to vent to). So, watch this space for j_sum1_labspace 2.0 in a few months.

An update.

Here is my lab still in boxes. I spent a couple of hours last night sorting and labelling so theoretically I know where stuff is. The boxes on the table are an assortment of chems and equipment that I picked up at a garage sale. There is a lot of junk in there but also some nice chems. Behind the table is a dishwasher and drying oven.
2016-12-16 09.25.29.jpg - 1.2MB

And here is the lab space. A lot of work to do. The site is a breezeway under the house. Nice natural ventilation but I will still need to build a nice fume cupboard. The stumps in the ground are ironwood and I have no idea how deep they go. I expect to break a few saw teeth cutting them off. I think they once supported a water tank. There are also piles of waste concrete that will need to be broken up. Then I need to pour a concrete slab, line two of the walls, run some electricity, build benches and storage, install the sink and build the fume hood. The plan looks good in my brain but it will take a while.
2016-12-16 09.26.05.jpg - 1.4MB

Chemetix - 16-12-2016 at 03:09

Jsum those ironwood posts look like a challenge, the energetics lads would have a few suggestions for you!

j_sum1 - 16-12-2016 at 04:51

Quote: Originally posted by Chemetix  
Jsum those ironwood posts look like a challenge, the energetics lads would have a few suggestions for you!

Not under my house they won't!

If I can lay my hands on a chainsaw that should do the trick (carefully). But if not, I will chip away with a hand-saw. I have done it before. You just need to be patient and persevere. Last time was through railway sleepers and they took four minutes each. These are a bit bigger and the orientation is not as nice. I'll dig around them and I think they will be 15-20 minutes each.

I am actually more worried about the concrete. Some of it is quite thick and dense and will take a bit of shifting. Let's see how I fare tomorrow.

mayko - 28-1-2017 at 21:27

I have a spare room in my current place and I am considering moving my lab out of the shed and inside.

Pros of the move:

The Cons:

I'm leaning pretty heavily towards moving it in, but I still need to think about the logistics involved.... I'll need to clean and paint first anyway, so I've got some time to think about that.

j_sum1 - 28-1-2017 at 22:03

Are you able to install a decent extractor fan? If you can suck out the nasties then indoors sounds ideal.
And kinda related... I have been impressed with how UC235 copes with the hazardous gas situation safely without a fumehood. There is much good practice to be learned right there.

mayko - 31-1-2017 at 14:06

I do have a decent fan, and the room has two windows, so that's been the plan thus far. My main concern with such a setup is, where would the air intake be? I could use the rest of the house (heating/AC out the window, weakening of partition between the residence and the lab) or I could open the second window (which might mean that the exhaust goes outside, around the corner of the house, and then gets sucked back in to recirculate :o ). We'll see when I'm reconfigured, I guess!

j_sum1 - 31-1-2017 at 14:56

You should be able to rig up a fume hood then. That's most of your bases covered. All you need to do then is keep the cat out.

Magpie - 31-1-2017 at 15:03

Here's the air routings that I use. The top one is preferred. But I do often use the bottom one.

preferred air routing.bmp - 703kB often used alternative air route.bmp - 703kB

Alkemist - 9-3-2017 at 14:54

I've been a long time lurker here and finally have gotten around to beginning to convert a shed at the house my wife and I purchased summer before last into a semi usable lab space. I thought this would be a good opportunity to create an account and post some pics of the progress of the conversion. As soon as I figure out how to upload pics and have enough battery I'll get them up and look forward to any suggestions.

j_sum1 - 9-3-2017 at 15:34

Welcome Alkemist.
Looking forward to seeing those pix. If you click "preview post" or the correct "post reply" button you will be directed to a page that allows you to upload images and other files. Real easy.

Alkemist

Sulaiman - 9-3-2017 at 15:36

In my opinion, although hopefuly never required, rapid exit should be planned for, always.
Better to 'design in' early on, and keep in mind.

Other suggestions depend upon your vision/budget :P

welcome to shed-lab world

[Edited on 9-3-2017 by Sulaiman]

Alkemist - 9-3-2017 at 16:21

Thanks for the warm welcome...here goes...

14891047786251426834134.jpg - 820kB1489104818836-1198599674.jpg - 743kB14891048430001861511764.jpg - 818kB14891047786251426834134.jpg - 820kB1489104818836-1198599674.jpg - 743kB14891048430001861511764.jpg - 818kB14891047786251426834134.jpg - 820kB14891047786251426834134.jpg - 820kB1489104818836-1198599674.jpg - 743kB14891048430001861511764.jpg - 818kB14891048656721760894287.jpg - 830kB1489104910132-336349678.jpg - 851kB1489104993384-1597670186.jpg - 905kB14891050316451558940559.jpg - 854kB14891050535361600223492.jpg - 809kB1489105071170-1925151360.jpg - 861kB

Alkemist - 9-3-2017 at 16:26

Lol sorry for the doubles, I'll figure it out eventually. Obviously there is still an afternoon or two of work to be done. Also, before I get flamed on chemical storage this is NOT where they will stay for more than the next hour or so it's just the only shelf I had when unboxing.

j_sum1 - 9-3-2017 at 17:00

Ok. we can be friends. Your setup is quite similar to what I envisage my new lab construction will be.
I like the flask rack -- simple and convenient.
Fume hood looks great. Lots of nice bench space. And is that a drying oven I see?
That is an awesome collection of sep funnels.

Where are you located?

Alkemist - 9-3-2017 at 19:07

I'm in Oregon, USA. My oven actually isn't pictured, but it's just a little Blue M sw-11 ta. I think what you are seeing is the old school FTS multi-cool low temp bath.

Sulaiman - 15-4-2017 at 11:24

I relocated, upgraded and painted my alfresco experimenting table

I thought I'd document that it was once was white :)

Table1.jpg - 1.9MB

Baron - 28-5-2017 at 03:12

Ok, so I've been watching the activity here for quite a while just like Alkemist and decided to create an account to share my lab progress and ideas on here. I just recently bought an empty apartment with the intention to construct my own lab. As soon as I figure out how to get pictures from my phone to my PC I will share the blueprints and progress here.

Greetings from germany!

My new workbench :(

Sulaiman - 29-5-2017 at 04:07

During a prolonged EtOH distillation run with no heat shield beneath my hotplate, this happened

Table2.jpg - 1.6MB

close up

Table2b.jpg - 1.3MB

NedsHead - 29-5-2017 at 04:28

Hey, at least it wasn't the dining table

DSC_0033.JPG - 2.6MB

I wasn't a very popular person that day:)

Magpie - 29-5-2017 at 05:05

I find that an old cookie sheet makes a great heat shield.

j_sum1 - 29-5-2017 at 05:15

Quote: Originally posted by Magpie  
I find that an old cookie sheet makes a great heat shield.

Aah. So you've done this too Magpie.
(Else how would you know that a great heat shield was needed?)

Magpie - 29-5-2017 at 06:14

No, no. I have a cheap hotplate that I use to heat my steam generator. I place this on a wood bench covered with newspapers. This makes me nervous, thus the use of the cookie sheet.

[Edited on 29-5-2017 by Magpie]

JJay - 29-5-2017 at 07:47

At the moment, almost all of my lab equipment and chemicals are packed away in 12 boxes sitting in a shed across town, but I am going to try to get a truck and get it to my new lab location sometime this week. I'm trying to work out exactly how to ventilate the fume hood.

charley1957 - 16-7-2017 at 08:58

In this same forum (My lab beginnings) I recently posted some pics of how I started building my lab. I stated there that I would soon post a lab tour. So here it is, now that it is mostly complete. As with any lab, though, it's always a work in progress.

IMG_2603.JPG - 56kB
From the doorway in the foreground to the back door is 13 feet. The width of the space is 10 feet. See how clean the lab coat is? :D

IMG_2604.JPG - 67kB
First thing on the left is the main lab bench. I recently found some nice thin stainless steel sheeting at a local junkyard, so I covered all my benchtops and the bottom of the inside of the fumehood with it. Sorry I don't yet know how to make a shortcut to another thread, but please see "My lab beginnings" in this same forum to find out more about the lab frames you see. The drawer unit that makes up the main bench I found down the street on the side of the road. A man was remodeling his house and put them out for anyone to take. To the right of that is my old original lab bench that my grandfather made for me when I was just a teen. I joined them together with a sheet of plywood to form the whole assembly. Poor me should I ever have to move this. :( Available on this bench are vacuum and gas lines, and water inlet and outlet lines which lead behind the whole mess to a sink.

IMG_2605.JPG - 68kB
Here's a better shot of the old original lab bench. I removed the wooden shelves and put in glass shelves, and had plans for a light in the top, with lots of cool glassware resting on glass shelves, lit from above. Well, it WAS beautiful, but soon filled up with bugs from the lights, so I stored most of the glassware in drawers and cabinets. Now the whole are is just a disgraceful jumbled storage area, seriously in need of cleaning up. Perhaps I will try that idea again, this time with some proper glass doors, sealed against bugs and dust.

On the top is the fume hood, which I just recently expanded upward. It's now 42 inches high inside, 33 wide and 23 deep. I couldn't set up a reflux column inside, it was too short. Inside I have vacuum, gas, and water inlet and outlets, not immediately apparent here.

IMG_2608.JPG - 53kB
Here's the rest of the fume hood. Take notice of my sophisticated counterbalance assembly for the fume hood sash. Its usefulness is debatable, as I used plastic-coated cable which doesn't work too well on such small pulleys as I have at the top, and that needs to be fixed. Also the large white area is where the sciencemadness logo will go. :D

IMG_2606.JPG - 63kB
Moving on, here's a picture of my sink, with chemical storage above it. The last person to own this house was an artist, and the three-car garage was enclosed. I walled off a small part of that now-shop area to form the lab, and the sink is a nice large tub sink where the artist cleaned his brushes. It's glorious! It's large enough to put a five-gallon pan (visible under the sink) in that I use for distillation cooling. There's a circulating pump that draws from that pan, and return lines dump back into the pan. Also visible is a small refrigerator that was kaput so I repurposed it as a lab incubator. Biology is my other love.

IMG_2607.JPG - 61kB
There's chemical storage in them there cabinets! These cabinets came with the house. They're 1940's steel cabinets from Montgomery Ward. We remodeled the kitchen a few years ago and I got three of these units to use in the lab. I can't store HCl in them, but just about everything else is OK. To the left is a couple of stainless steel specialty shelves I got for a little bit of nothing from an RV supplier. I needed more storage area, so I picked these up for a song. Great for the gallon jars that I use for larger amounts of chemicals.

IMG_2609.JPG - 60kB
Here's the inside. The bottom shelf is used to keep all the glass jars my wife saves for me for chemical storage. One of those jars is actually full of owl pellets!

IMG_2610.JPG - 64kB
If we turn 180 degrees, this is the view on the other side of the lab. These are the other two steel cabinets I spoke of. I'm finding I'm going to have to do something for more storage. I'm constantly acquiring more chemicals, and just yesterday spent 20 minutes or so rearranging stuff so I could add one more chemical. I arrange my stuff alphabetically, kinda, sorta like this. Acids, alcohols, bromides, chlorides, dioxides, etc. etc. It's easy for me to remember where stuff is like that. Say I need carbon tetrachloride. Well, that's a chloride (to me), so that's where I go to find it. No, I don't separate chemicals according to hazards like we all know we should. There are oxidizers scattered all through, and I know everything should be separated, but I've not done that, nor do I have the storage area to do that effectively.
Just at the top of the photo you can see a piece of an air conditioning grill. The artist that owned this place previously had this whole space airconditioned with the house system. I pulled the ducting loose from this and closed it off, as I didn't want any direct connection between the lab environment and that in the main living area. Yeah, it'd be great to have A/C in the lab, but I will have to do without it for now.

IMG_2611.JPG - 70kB
Here's the bench underneath the previous pic. I bought this from a dentist who was retiring, and he threw in about 10 pounds of mercury! In these drawers and cabinets there is everything under the sun from rock samples (another hobby) to glassware to anything else you can think of. On the far left of the benchtop in the back is a microcentrifuge which I bought broken on eBay. I managed to fix it, so for $15 bucks I've got a $1500 centrifuge, though obsolete. For my biology habit.

IMG_2613.JPG - 75kB
The other end of that same cabinet. On top you can see the antifreeze I bought to make Dioxane with so I can make sodium metal a la Nurdrage. Also visible are two one-gallon jars of Calcium Fluoride, about 97% pure. This town used to be a hub for the fluorspar trade back in the 70s, and there are storage bins down by the railroad tracks that still hold some of this calcium fluoride, so I went and got me some. The bins have been long abandoned, and what's left is still as good as the day they put it there. I suspect it won't be long before the railroad will decide to scrap them all, and it'll all be gone forever. I have plans of one day making hydrofluoric acid, and possibly fluorine. But that day is some distance down the road.

IMG_2612.JPG - 75kB
Here's my toaster oven and a microwave oven. Above that is a Kenwood stereo that I bought when I was in the Navy back in the 70s. Hey, a guy's gotta have his music! I've got radio, XM radio, or iPhone input to choose from. On the other side of the wall is a rack-mounted Sony reel-to-reel tape player, loaded up with Iron Butterfly.

IMG_2614.JPG - 67kB
And here's my biology station. On the left is a regular biological microscope. It's a trinocular with a camera that hooks to the big screen TV above. On the right is a stereo zoom dissecting scope. It's a trinocular also, and the camera is easily transferred from one scope to the other. Sorry, I should have taken the covers off of the scopes for the picture. The first row of drawers to the left of the bench holds petri dishes, microscope slides and slipcovers, stains, etc. This will probably get more use in the coming months, as I'm returning to school to get a master's degree in biology. When I went to school back in 2012, this school didn't offer a chemistry degree, so I went with biology. Now they do offer a chem degree, but I would have to take so many leveling courses just to be able to start a master's plan. But I do love biology, and there's so much, just as in chemistry, that citizen scientists can do.

IMG_2615.JPG - 65kB
Last pic, I promise. Just an overall shot of the biology station, it really shows well the stainless steel top. I'm so proud of all that stainless steel I could just pop! Sorry for the quality of the pics, I had to compress them all so they would all fit in one post, so they're not the best quality. Thank you for accompanying me on a tour of my somewhat messy, still-needing-lots-of-work lab in the desert of West Texas. :)

Sulaiman - 16-7-2017 at 10:40

What a nice lab ... congratulations.

odd, but the two things that caught my eye were
. great to have two exits ... just in case.
. I love the eclectic range of jars, bottles etc. that we accumulate.
the rest is great too. 8(>_<;)8

charley1957 - 16-7-2017 at 14:07

Sulaiman it's getting harder and harder to find liquids in glass jars anymore. Some vinegar still comes in glass and I particularly treasure those jars for acid storage. I've got tons of plastic medicine vials, film canisters, glass baby food jars, etc., and not enough time to make use of them all. Thanks for the compliments.

CharlieA - 16-7-2017 at 16:24

Really nice setup, charlie1957. You have done a great job that shows a lot of thought and ingenuity. I'm insanely jealous. :D;)

highpower48 - 17-7-2017 at 10:21

I have a decent sized lab space approx 10'x10', with two 8 foot work benches that I have built into one of the bays in my 2 car garage. I still have to build the walls and ceiling. Right now I have no air or heating which makes for very uncomfortable working conditions. Hard on me and chem storage. Once the walls are up the air and hear will be taken care of. Also still to construct is a fume hood. Will post photos this fall when complete.

charley1957 - 18-7-2017 at 09:13

Highpower48, that's a good start. I felt just like you do. But insulate the space, and that will help a lot, especially the ceiling. Eventually you may be able to put a small A/C unit through the wall or a window. Until then, a fan works wonders, and this is in the Texas desert, and it still does OK. The insulation keeps the space at a temp even your chemicals can handle. Can't wait to see your pics.

CharlieA, thanks. Not so much thought ahead of time, I'm afraid. A lot of what you see is a modification of an original plan. But it eventually comes around to something I can live with.

Texium - 18-7-2017 at 10:12

At least you have the dry heat out there... Here in Austin it's not quite as hot, but the humidity is the real killer, both for comfort and chemical storage.

charley1957 - 18-7-2017 at 18:12

zts16 I have a daughter who lives in Georgetown and another in Kyle so we're out that way regularly. I feel your humid pain!

XeonTheMGPony - 6-8-2017 at 19:41

well got tired of my lab looking like some meth cooks dream get away I got to work and started to get the design of it finished, got my vacuum chamber cleaned and painted, need to finish the support brackets, going to finish the other half of my custom lab frame

then get it all plumbed up so I have water, water return and vacuum line running around the entire room

vac chamber can run either off aspirator or rotary vane vac pump.

P9060362.JPG - 1.3MBP9060361.JPG - 1.3MB

XeonTheMGPony - 8-8-2017 at 19:36

Well finally got the lab frame finished! it is made of all type L copper pipe with galvanized steel flanges, Next is the sink, then get my water/vac/air lines all set up.

It is 5.3 feet long and 3 feet high. set up on there is a 300mm leibig and a 250mm flask at 24/40 joint size to give an idea of scale.

P9080363.JPG - 1.3MB

[Edited on 9-8-2017 by XeonTheMGPony]

JJay - 8-8-2017 at 20:07

Copper tubing for a frame is a very interesting idea. I'd like to read more about how that works out.

XeonTheMGPony - 12-8-2017 at 14:30

So far it has been solid, it has held up well against most chemicals so far other then the usually discoloring. With Type L it is fairly rigid, got to be care full to not go over board on tightening your clamps of you get too many burrs makes harder to slide clamps about.

The way I configured it to allow maximum options for building.

I need to get a dozen or better boss heads and some more clamps.

I will add on 2 vertical runs that are better trimmed so each vertical will fit on either set of horizontal run

It holds a fair bit of weight, but I wouldn't climb on it!

JJay - 12-8-2017 at 23:09

I see. I have a bag of a dozen boss heads that I've been meaning to use to put together a frame, but electrical conduit is just a little bit larger diameter than I would like, and I haven't made my way to any of the metal suppliers just yet.

wg48 - 13-8-2017 at 01:22

Its bit like real audiophiles have gold plated connectors.

You know you’re a seriously real chemist when you have a fume hood and a frame LOL

XeonTheMGPony - 13-8-2017 at 03:32

Quote: Originally posted by JJay  
I see. I have a bag of a dozen boss heads that I've been meaning to use to put together a frame, but electrical conduit is just a little bit larger diameter than I would like, and I haven't made my way to any of the metal suppliers just yet.

Why I went with copper figured sod it, and solder it. So the entire horizontal run and the vertical rear supports are soldered. Only the vertical runs that the actual glass wear is attached to is mobile. The top 90 degree fittings where street (One end slips into the fitting directly) and those where not soldered, So when you want to dismantle the top supports are unscrewed and simply slide off, bottom how ever must be unscrewed from the wood then unscrewed from the frame.

In hind sight it wouldn't have hurt to put some middle supports in like I originally planed for a bit more rigidity but it is pretty solid as is.

The Boss heads I got from ebay needed very minor filing to get them to fit easily

Geocachmaster - 19-8-2017 at 14:40

I spent yesterday afternoon plus this morning cleaning the lab (it had been a huge mess) and I finally think it's presentable. I would take pictures but I can't figure out how to change my camera's settings because it currently takes pics that are over 4000p wide (above the image limit for SM). Instead I made a YouTube video and you can check it out if you want.

Lab Tour

Questions and comments are welcome!

CharlieA - 19-8-2017 at 16:50

Nice lab, Tom, but it is almost too neat and clean to be believable!

-CharlieA (aka Charlie1940)

Tom

Sulaiman - 19-8-2017 at 23:27

I Just watched a tour of your lab - I'm extremely jealous !

Only one problem ... no excuses for not getting those experiments done now, as planned :P

Geocachmaster - 20-8-2017 at 12:35

Thanks, both of you!

@ CharlieA I couldn't believe it either :D

@ Sulaiman I'm pretty good at coming up with excuses, but I'll get 'em done eventually!

Melgar - 26-8-2017 at 04:34

The biggest lab I can have in Manhattan. Bonus points to whoever can deduce the most from from this picture:

[Edited on 8/27/17 by Melgar]

my_lab.jpg - 175kB

ELRIC - 26-8-2017 at 05:15

Quote: Originally posted by Melgar  
The biggest lab I can have in Manhattan. Bonus points to whoever can deduce the most from from this picture:

[Edited on 8/26/17 by Melgar]

Are you trying to seperate DCM?

Metacelsus - 26-8-2017 at 05:27

Bonus points to whoever can deduce the most from from this picture

From the metadata:

You took it with a Nexus 5X Android smartphone at (data removed upon request by Melgar)

You should really be more careful scrubbing such information in the future.

Also, I agree that it looks like you're separating DCM by distillation.

[Edited on 8-26-2017 by Metacelsus]

[Edited on 8-27-2017 by Metacelsus]

Magpie - 26-8-2017 at 05:46

Bonus points to whoever can deduce the most from from this picture:

1. You have a really tiny lab.
2. You have several unfinished experiments yet to workup.
3. You are harvesting DCM by distillation.
4. Your cooling water supply is puzzling - what is the pump?
5. You have a still head temperature indicator.
6. You need to clean up a bit.

Melgar - 26-8-2017 at 06:15

Yeah, obviously distilling DCM directly from the can. That thickening agent is no fun getting out of glass. I'm sure I'm not the only one to do it this way.

@Metacelsus Well, I suppose you win. Thing is, it's annoying to move images from my phone to my laptop to post them. I used to be able to use Bluetooth, but that broke or something. I don't really mind. It's not like there's anything illegal going on here, and the building I live in has really thick steel doors with several sets of locks.

@Magpie Yeah, the thermocouple I made to use for measuring temperature isn't plugged in, just because there isn't much point, but it does work. I was wondering if anyone would notice that I was using a thermoelectric cooler, with a CPU fan on one side and a heat exchanger on the other. It's 100W, and isn't really very powerful. It's more like a really good heatsink than it is a refrigeration unit. It definitely helps keep ice from melting as fast though. The pump is a small white submersible one that's kind of hard to see.

arkoma - 6-9-2017 at 08:14

Finally feeling well enough to set up some space, and as I am a bachelor I can get away with using most of kitchen

noname(40).jpg - 238kB

Love my new electronic balance. Freshly made black powder on the sheet of paper. "ball milled" by shaking in plastic bottle with 00 buckshot while watching the tube LOL. Crude 1,4 dioxane in flask

noname(39).jpg - 249kB

Ingredients for 1,4 dioxane. Was a cool synthesis

noname(28).jpg - 216kB

HOWEVER, I switched out the receiver just before this crap started acting like a science fiction monster

noname(36).jpg - 244kB

As you can see made quite a mess, and its evolution was SUDDEN. Cleaned up nicely with 10% NaOH solution

noname(35).jpg - 229kB

[Edited on 9-6-2017 by arkoma]

j_sum1 - 6-9-2017 at 14:18

Awesome Arky.
Glad you are back up on deck. I guess this means the leg is well on the mend.

SWIM - 6-9-2017 at 14:34

Yeah, obviously distilling DCM directly from the can. That thickening agent is no fun getting out of glass. I'm sure I'm not the only one to do it this way.

I'm surprised the short-path head condenser is up to condensing something so low boiling. And you're using an un-cooled collection flask.

I always use a long condenser and cool the collection flask in ice water to keep the stuff in the flask, but maybe I'm overcautious. Is it cold where you work?
Lately you could almost boil DCM by leaving it out on the Kitchen counter around my neck of the woods.

j_sum1 - 28-9-2017 at 01:26

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  

And here is the lab space. A lot of work to do. The site is a breezeway under the house. Etc... (snip)

Update.
I have finally had a bit of a chance to work on lab construction. Lots more to do but it is starting to get there.

2017-09-28 16.07.58a.jpg - 390kB
This shot was taken from the same angle as my previous post upthread. Stumps were dug out. Concrete laid. Walls put up. Painted. Electrical work done. And now the bench constructed.

2017-09-28 16.08.39a.jpg - 339kB 2017-09-28 16.10.36a.jpg - 338kB
There will be plenty of under-bench storage. On the left you can see space for 14 sliding plastic bins of two different sizes. That will be for glassware. Elsewhere will be open shelves for other hardware not in use. I have not worked out the configuration yet. I will keep some bulk chemicals over near the breeze-block wall: the ones that benefit from a bit of ventilation.

The sink has a bit of an unorthodox orientation but I think it will work. I am going to end up with a little corner behind the fume cupboard where I can put the vacuum pump and recirculation pump. Actually I can see myself most of the time just putting a plug in the sink and throwing the pump directly in there. Water will come from a rainwater tank directly outside.

2017-09-28 17.19.31.jpg - 236kB
Working round the room from the left:

Not sure how long the rest will take but I hope to get some spare weekends to knock it off.

Melgar - 3-10-2017 at 06:13

Quote: Originally posted by SWIM  
I'm surprised the short-path head condenser is up to condensing something so low boiling. And you're using an un-cooled collection flask.

I always use a long condenser and cool the collection flask in ice water to keep the stuff in the flask, but maybe I'm overcautious. Is it cold where you work?
Lately you could almost boil DCM by leaving it out on the Kitchen counter around my neck of the woods.

There's actually a window AC unit right out of the picture, that I had aimed at the upper part of the apparatus, but it was night out anyway, and not very hot. I only distilled about 200 mL anyway.

Now I have quick disconnects on my tubing so that I can swap out distillation heads a lot easier. I actually have three different heads: a regular one that can be broken down into components, a short-path, and a regular-sized one-piece head with a built in Claisen adapter. I got that one for like $38 on eBay; usually they're listed for somewhere in the triple digits.

MrHomeScientist - 13-10-2017 at 18:48

It's been a very long time in the works, but my total lab overhaul is finally complete. For the full tour, see my video on my channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfoUfO0QxW4

I took a quick spin around the room to post some photos here if you don't want to sit through the full 10 minutes:

lab 1.jpg - 852kB
Replaced all carpet with tile and got all new furniture: official lab cabinets with black epoxy tops for maximum heat and chemical resistance. Also got a few lab appliances you see on the left - a toaster oven and water kettle. The kettle is AMAZING; it boils water super fast, and I got it on Amazon for about $25.

lab 2.jpg - 922kB
Large tabletop work space, desiccator cabinet, and chemical fridge. Not explosion proof, but I'm not keeping much in there anyway.
I want to point out the awesome periodic table poster - I got it from an Etsy store and the seller really worked with me to get the right size and material for me. Each square looks like a solid color from far away, but up close there's a ton of useful information on every element. The site listed on the poster is www.ptable.com. Highly recommended!

lab 3.jpg - 930kB
Real hazard storage cabinets for flammables and acids. All chemicals separated by appropriate storage code. Also note the giant SDS binders up top - it's very important to know the hazards of everything you work with. Printed SDS's are expensive, but could be very helpful if you need to provide info to first responders quickly and easily.

There's also another giant cabinet in another room, because it was way too big to fit through the hallway to the lab (see the video). Whoops! I keep extra stuff in there that I don't use often. It actually worked out nicely because it forced me to get a 3rd low cabinet, and putting those together makes another large work surface which is really nice.

Total cost: over $8,000 :o
Worth it though! I'm so happy with how it turned out.

The only thing missing is a fume hood. I can't for the life of me figure out where to put it, mainly because I can't for the life of me figure out where the fumes will go. I really don't want to put a hole through the roof. Working on the back porch will suffice for now. Exciting times ahead!

Magpie - 13-10-2017 at 20:40

Beautiful lab. I like the epoxy bench top.

I wouldn’t worry about cutting a hole in your roof at all. I did this for the exhaust for my hot water heater. Just cut to size for your duct, taking out the plywood and asphalt shingles ( I presume you have this kind of roof). Seal an aluminum flashing to the plywood and replace the shingles. It’s a piece of cake!

j_sum1 - 7-12-2017 at 02:06

This is a teaser /progress report.
I spent today doing construction in my lab. Hopefully fully complete this side of Christmas (maybe without fume cupboard). I will do a proper tour then.

Today's task was to complete the under-bench storage -- at least for this part of the bench. The top is 1200/900 mm deep. On the left are six black bins that slide out and 10 white bins with lids that will mostly contain ground glassware. Next to that are three open shelves for highuse equipment: power supply, pump, mantle, hotplate, boxes of indicators and filter papers and thermometers -- that kind of thing. The baskets slide out on drawer sliders. Next to that will be a dishwasher. What you see in this photo is about 40% of the total bench space.

2017-12-07 15.36.50.jpg - 164kB

Pages:  1  ..  4    6