Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Fulminates

lacrima97 - 11-11-2005 at 14:27

Ok, so I am familiar with Mercury Fulminate, but I am wondering, can Hg(ONC)2 be replaced with say Cu(ONC)2, or Zn(ONC)2 since those both have 2 outer electrons just like Mercury?

The_Davster - 11-11-2005 at 14:50

https://sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=599
Copper fulminate has been discussed above. I am not sure what your question is, all fulminates can be prepared via redox rxns starting with AgONC or Hg(ONC), but only silver and mercury fulminates can be prepared from the respective metal, HNO3 and EtOH. There are also other ways to silver fulminate involving (IIRC) methynitrolic acid and silver salts, and possibly other metal fulminates can be prepared via metal salt and methylnitrolic acid but I have not heard of this.

lacrima97 - 11-11-2005 at 15:34

Thank you, roguechemist.

REVIEW about Metal Fulminates

acetate - 16-6-2006 at 01:12

Good review about Metal Fulminates , complexes , and history ...

Attachment: Metal Fulminates.pdf (348kB)
This file has been downloaded 1557 times

MF based detonators

dangerous amateur - 19-4-2014 at 11:56

Does anybody have some information on mercury fulminate caps before lead azide took over?
What kind of tube did they use at that time?

Id like to use MF in caps for further experiments, but the only proper material I've got is aluminium tube. How severe is that amalgam problem in practice?

And are there examples for the use of MF caps that used boosters? How much MF did they use for PETN or tetryl?

Bert - 19-4-2014 at 12:59

AFAIK, fulminate caps were nearly always Copper, but I'm not NEARLY old enough to be experienced with commercial fulminate caps- I've no idea how much of a risk amalgamation might be, and suspect it would have a great deal to do with the quality of materials used.

Lots on MF caps and use of MF with booster/base charge, compound caps in Tenney Davis

I think you might FIND that the old time manufacturers knew their materials and worked accordingly.

I'd certainly start by reviewing literature from the period before wartime supply requirements and high costs drove fulminate out of the market.

[Edited on 19-4-2014 by Bert]

[Edited on 20-4-2014 by Bert]

dangerous amateur - 24-6-2015 at 02:36

I tried some MF/PETN detonators.
450mg MF did initiate my hard pressed PETN, while 250mg did not.
Hulls where 6mm spolette tubes with 1,5mm walls.
No chlorate was used.

I need more experience with it, but I'd say it's usable. Only one needs very much compared to double salts and LA.