Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Glacial Acid Acid question

quicksilver - 20-11-2005 at 11:46

I have a bottle of SEALED Glacial Acid Acid - it has begun to crystalize! Has anyone seen this before? It has NOT been exposed to extremes in temp or UV. The crystals are large and infused within the solution. What's happening?
Is there any method aside from the ketone process to create Acid Anhidryde?

12AX7 - 20-11-2005 at 11:59

GAA freezes at a "high" temperature. You are merely observing its namesake, why people thought it was "glacial" (ice-like) despite resembling water (un, in color, viscosity, ...? I've never played with it).

Tim

mick - 20-11-2005 at 12:01

Check out its melting point.
mick

Darkblade48 - 20-11-2005 at 13:14

I guess the relatively "high" freezing/melting point of 16.6 C (according to the MSDS I found) and in addition to the sealed nature of your GAA has caused it to begin to "freeze"

ADP - 29-11-2005 at 19:59

That would be correct just warm it up a bit to melt the crystals

Douchermann - 6-12-2005 at 13:53

In other words, if you want to avoid this problem, don't store your glacial acetic acid in your garage if you live north of the mason-dixie line.

chloric1 - 6-12-2005 at 17:56

I keep mine next to the water heater where it is nice and toasty.:D It is the only chem I keep indoors. It does form pretty crystals.:D

Fleaker - 7-12-2005 at 16:21

If it does freeze, just leave it out in a warm room and it will melt and should be perfectly useable. Although having crystal of it would be convenient since they're easily massed :D . This reminds me of the bottle of decane sitting in the lab...some days I'll walk in and it's a liquid, other times its a solid, and once, it was either freezing or melting.