Sciencemadness Discussion Board

24/40 or 19/22?

Flip - 5-3-2006 at 12:57

I'm just wondering if there is really a functional difference aside from the difference in size. Is one generally preferred over another?

If I buy a set of glassware, my aim would be to have the most popular joint size, so as to be compatible with other pieces I might find from private sellers. I don't want to get 19/22 only to find that everyone and their mother on ebay or labx uses 24/40.

That being said, what is your preference?

neutrino - 5-3-2006 at 18:20

I just buy what is compatible with what I already have: 24/40. It seems to be the most popular size in North America.

Magpie - 5-3-2006 at 19:30

I bought 19/22 as I was familiar with it from school. Also I wanted to keep the size of my equipment down. The largest RB flask is 500 ml and the smallest is 25mL.

This works fine if you just want to do a synthesis to verify that you can do it. But if you want to stock your reagent shelf the equipment size is a little small. E.g., for making chloroform I would like to have a 1-liter or even a 2-liter flask.

[Edited on 6-3-2006 by Magpie]

DDTea - 11-3-2006 at 10:40

If you're brewing nitric acid and such, you'll be handling large volumes and 24/40 is better.

As for me, in my organic chem labs, we use 14/20--and it's quite good for working on small scale (that is, 50 mL or less). Probably good for orgainc synthesis, too...

Heh, but at work I came across a box of 24/40 columns--a good 18" long. I was surprised at how huge this popular standard taper really is. :)