Sciencemadness Discussion Board

The lead salts preparation thread!

Pages:  1    3  

plante1999 - 17-9-2011 at 09:41

A day I will use my lead battery to make lead acetate but I can get only 10% Acetic acid (vinegar) . I thing if I mx conssetre acetic acid and NaClO3 i could disove lead.

blogfast25 - 18-9-2011 at 04:51

Well, well, well. On icing almost the whole mass crystallised out into a snow white crystalline mass with maybe only about 40 - 50 ml of mother liquor left:

This stuff will now be isolated, washed and weighed for yield determination.

I’m also wondering whether the lead sulphate in a spent and discharged battery could be converted to ‘white lead’ (basic lead carbonate) by treating it with hot soda:

3 PbSO4 (aq) + 2 Na2CO3 (aq) + 2 NaOH (aq) === > (PbCO3)2Pb(OH)2 (s) + 3 Na2SO4 (aq)

… because lead sulphate is slightly soluble in water. The basic lead carbonate should be soluble in strong acetic acid.

Or rewrite as:

3 PbSO4 (aq) + 3 Na2CO3 (aq) + H2O (l) ==== > (PbCO3)2Pb(OH)2 (s) + 3 Na2SO4 (s) + CO2 (g)

I recrystallised the lead acetate after washing it with small amounts of iced water to get rid of the excess HAc, then added a small amount of DIW and heated lightly until complete dissolution occurred. On cooling the product crystallised in about 30 seconds flat, with crystals growing radially from crystal nuclei at a rate of approx. 1 mm/s! The structure can just about be seen with this resolution:

[Edited on 18-9-2011 by blogfast25]

dann2 - 21-9-2011 at 06:42

Acetic acid is becoming more easily obtainable as an organic (green) weed killer. It is available as a 50% solution.
A mixture of Sodium Nitrate and HCl acid will dissolve Lead. Careful of the brown fumes.

Would Ammonium Nitrate do instead of the Sodium?

Dann2

blogfast25 - 21-9-2011 at 08:41

Quote: Originally posted by dann2  

Acetic acid is becoming more easily obtainable as an organic (green) weed killer. It is available as a 50% solution.
A mixture of Sodium Nitrate and HCl acid will dissolve Lead. Careful of the brown fumes.

Dann2

Yes, but what would you obtain? Lead nitrate is far less soluble than lead acetate and it’s the latter I’m trying to make, in various ways.

My lead, which really is from the connector part that connects the cells, doesn’t even easily dissolve in hot 70 % HNO3: reaction starts on heating but more or less dies after about 30 min.

The green weed killers are most very weak solutions of pelargonic acid soaps (or fatty acids of similar length), a few percent. Acetic is used too but at 50 % that’s a ‘human repellent’! Various acetic acid strength grades are cheap on eBay.

Conversion of PbSO4 to lead basic carbonate (‘white lead’ - vernacular)

I’m interested in converting the lead (II) sulphate from my spent lead battery to lead (II) acetate.

Yesterday and today I explored the following displacement reaction:

3 PbSO4 (s, aq) + 4 Na2CO3 (aq) + 2 H2O (l) === > (PbCO3)2Pb(OH)2 (s)+ 3 Na2SO4 (aq) + 2 NaHCO3 (aq)

… taking advantage of the slight solubility of PbSO4 and the complete insolubility of ‘white lead’.

To that effect 3.25 g of PbSO4, 3.4 g anh. Na2CO3 and 17 ml of water were mixed in a 1” test tube. The amount of soda is almost 3 times the stoichiometric amount. The test tube was heated on steam bath for about an hour, and then allowed to cool and stand overnight.

The resulting precipitate was the filtered off, setting aside the first portion of filtrate and carefully washing the filter cake with multiple aliquots of hot DIW until it ran almost neutral and no bubbles formed with strong HCl (evidence that soluble carbonate had been eliminated).

The filtrate set aside was first neutralised slowly with strong HCl until no more bubbles formed and the solution reacted strongly acidic. It was then tested with Cu(NO3)2 for residual carbonates and tested negative, then tested again with conc. CaCl2 which caused a shed load of white CaSO4 to precipitate. It appeared the anticipated reaction had proceeded.

The filter cake had in the mean time been dried on filter, on a low setting hot plate and two medium pinches were added to 2 test tubes and a little water added: this stuff appears to be almost water repellent! The lead sulphate I started from did not show this.

Adding 38 % HNO3 to the first, fizzing started, then subsided and a perfectly clear solution resulted. To the second tube, some glacial acetic acid was added. That was noticeably slower and needed a little heat but it too resulted in a perfectly clear solution. All 3 test results are strong evidence that the displacement reaction had proceeded to completion.

The next step will obviously be to test this on battery lead (II) sulphate.

[Edited on 21-9-2011 by blogfast25]

sxl168 - 21-9-2011 at 21:08

I've done this before on a larger scale and it works fine. I removed 2 car batteries worth of positive plates and tossed them into a 5 gallon bucket. I then filled with water so the bucket was about half full. Tossed in an 5 LB bottle of pool pH plus from Wal-Mart, stir well for an hour or 2. Note that I didn't need to add heat as dissolving that whole bottle increased the temp of the solution to about 50-60C. I then let the bucket stand for a day, stirring once in a while. Decanting off the liquid, I recrystallized it twice to get a few pounds of crystal clear Sodium Sulfate. Some leftover Sodium Carbonate was also left after crystallization, but amounted to less than 50g or so. Treating the solids with vinegar/acetic acid produced large amounts of lead acetate.

I process the negative plates differently because they can be easily electrolyzed (in distilled water/dilute sulfuric acid) to remove the sulfate, and the process produces sulfuric acid at the same time. I use one of the battery posts as an anode when doing that. I did it slowly when doing mine, one plate at a time each taking 24 hours. The process is completed once hydrogen is evolved on the negative plate, or if you have a DMM, the voltage of the cell rises from the nominal 2.0-2.2 volts to 2.4-2.6 volts. I was using about 50 mA/cm^2 anode current density for those numbers. The voltages will be much higher if the ion concentration is low, such as when you first start the run. I ended up with about a 40% sulfuric acid solution once the last plate was finished.

blogfast25 - 22-9-2011 at 04:01

Quote: Originally posted by sxl168  
I've done this before on a larger scale and it works fine. I removed 2 car batteries worth of positive plates and tossed them into a 5 gallon bucket. I then filled with water so the bucket was about half full. Tossed in an 5 LB bottle of pool pH plus from Wal-Mart, stir well for an hour or 2. Note that I didn't need to add heat as dissolving that whole bottle increased the temp of the solution to about 50-60C. I then let the bucket stand for a day, stirring once in a while. Decanting off the liquid, I recrystallized it twice to get a few pounds of crystal clear Sodium Sulfate. Some leftover Sodium Carbonate was also left after crystallization, but amounted to less than 50g or so. Treating the solids with vinegar/acetic acid produced large amounts of lead acetate.

Thanks sxl, that’s very much how I plan to do it today. I won’t be separating the lead from the lead sulphate and even heat might not be necessary although it would speed up things a bit. I was thinking of using an excess (as in the test) of soda, then simply reusing the solution several times.

Your pH pool plus was NaOH I gather from the temperature increase (solvation energy), right?

sxl168 - 22-9-2011 at 10:16

No, the pH Plus was ordinary Sodium Carbonate. It does generate a lot of heat when it dissolves in water, not as much as NaOH, but still significant when using the large quantities involved. I forget where I saw it now, either the label or the MSDS for the product clearly indicated that it will substantially heat water if the volume of water dissolving it is low. I'm sure some of the heat generated was the rapid chemical reaction between Sodium Carbonate and the fine particles of Lead Sulfate and leftover Sulfuric Acid too. I just remember it taking only about a minute for the water temp. to jump from 20C to 50-60C.

sxl168 - 22-9-2011 at 10:39

I just wanted to comment also that I came across some patents and research papers that use a similar process for wet process recycling of batteries and they warn that high pH levels over 11 along with high solution temperatures and long contact times would produce water soluble plumbates. You may want to be careful how much Sodium Carbonate excess you add because of that. From what I read, keeping solution temps. under 70C, contact time under 2 hours, or a final pH of under 11 keeps soluble plumbates from forming.

dann2 - 22-9-2011 at 11:19

Quote: Originally posted by blogfast25  

Dann2

Yes, but what would you obtain? Lead nitrate is far less soluble than lead acetate and it’s the latter I’m trying to make, in various ways.

The green weed killers are most very weak solutions of pelargonic acid soaps (or fatty acids of similar length), a few percent. Acetic is used too but at 50 % that’s a ‘human repellent’! Various acetic acid strength grades are cheap on eBay.

[Edited on 21-9-2011 by blogfast25]

The Acetic acid weed killer is available at 50% solution strenght. You have to water it down yourself when it comes to actually using it as a weed killer. It a ready OTC source of Acetic acid if used in your neck of the woods.

Would the mixture of HCl acid + Ammonium Nitrate be like poor mans Aqua Reiga.
You would end up with Lead Chloride, then go to Lead Carbonate (via Sodium Carbonate or bicarbonate) and then into Lead Acetate. The Nitrogen and the Ammonia going away? It's just that Ammonium Nitrate may be easier to come by than Sodium Nitrate.

The origan recipe using the Sodium Nitrate + HCl comes from here:
http://www.oxidizing.110mb.com/chlorate/leaddiox/pbnitrat.ht...
Down the page a bit (not my work BTW)

You eventually get to the Lead Acetate via the Carbonate

Dann2

[Edited on 22-9-2011 by dann2]

blogfast25 - 22-9-2011 at 11:21

@ sxl:

Your 'pH up' must have been anhydrous Na2CO3 then: that does generate heat when rehydrated. I use Na2CO3 decahydrate, not much solvation enthalpy there. Some heat would come from the reaction, yes.

One of the reasons I used Na2CO3 was that it's less likely to generate plumbates, which acc. my lit. research really only form with 50 % NaOH (or KOH) or so. The CO<sub>3</sub><sup>2-</sup> is too weak a base to reach to high concentrations of OH<sup>-</sup>, needed to form Pb(OH)6(2-) anions.

[Edited on 22-9-2011 by blogfast25]

sxl168 - 22-9-2011 at 12:58

I found the pdf that I was trying to cite in the previous post. It can be found here and has decent info:
Recycling ULAB's

blogfast25 - 22-9-2011 at 13:20

Thanks both dann2 and sxl for these links, very useful indeed...

sxl: my excess of Na2CO3 would indeed appear to have been unecessary but also unlikely to lead to plumbites being formed. These require extremely high levels of OH- that even a strong solution of carbonate cannot deliver because carbonates are weak bases.

[Edited on 23-9-2011 by blogfast25]

blogfast25 - 23-9-2011 at 12:20

Well, well. It looks like my defunct lead battery hadn’t been discharged because there no lead (II) sulphate in the first cell I broke into. I found this battery years ago, drained off the acid and thought no more about it until recently. So that rather buggers my plan to convert the sulphate to white lead, unless I want to attempt to fully discharge the two remaining cells. But she may be faulty in other ways so I’m not chancing that.

That leaves only to try and improve dissolving process for the actual lead, something I’m having trouble with. I’ll have to revisit using home-brewed aqua regia, based on 1:3 nitric/hydrochloric but with 70 % nitric instead of fuming. Nitric alone dies quickly against this particular alloy. 50 % acetic with gradually added 35 % H2O2 might also be worth reconsidering.

Any decent ideas welcome…

sxl168 - 24-9-2011 at 12:45

I wouldn't judge the lead sulfate by visual inspection. I've seen nice silver-grey battery plates that were completely discharged as I found out when I charged the plates. The lead sulfate is a surface layer only on the Pb/PbO2 particles and is mostly transparent unless it is thick (Sulfated battery). If your battery has been sitting around for 2 years as you have said, it's pretty much guaranteed that it to be at over 50% discharged.

If you are just trying to get Pb into solution, household bleach worked for me in the past. The key is to stir while adding and only add 1% vol./vol. of bleach at a time and let it react. This will keep most of the Chlorine which will be generated in solution to eventually react with Pb/PbO2. It's a slow process but worked well for me. Works well on other metals too like Ni, Co, Fe, and Cu. Warm the solution up to 50C or so also to increase solubility of PbCl2, decant, cool to 1C and collect PbCl2 crystals. Reuse the liquid to dissolve more. Don't get too hot as solubility of Chlorine in water drops drastically above 50C. Your method of using H2O2 should work fine also, but I find H2O2 a bit expensive to use. You can use Epsom salt for a poor man's way to precipitate PbSO4 if you wish from PbCl2 solution, the reaction may take 15 min to kick in, but settles fast once it does.

sxl168 - 24-9-2011 at 13:00

I forgot one added bonus of the PbCl2 route is that so long as the crystals are cleansed with cold distilled water, you will be rejecting the Ca and Sb alloys present in the batteries.

blogfast25 - 25-9-2011 at 04:52

@sxl:

I know what you mean about the sulphate but I actually treated some of the (supposed) sulphate with carbonate and obtained absolutely nothing. On closer inspection of the material and a few tests with nitric acid, one can only conclude it is almost 100 % lead. On the plus side: that means I have also PbO2 which is easy to convert to sulphate plus oxygen with hot sulphuric acid.

Regards the dissolution of lead metal in acids, I’m probably a little unrealistic in terms of expected speed and my memory of past successful attempts must be playing up a little.

Still, a proper quantitative test with 8 g of battery lead and twice the stoichiometric amount of aqua regia (1:3 - 70 % nitric to 36 % HCl) showed again that this alloy is probably quite resistant to chemical dissolution. Reaction started at RT, became very swift for about ½ hour during simmering but then more or less died and little metal had actually dissolved. After hot filtering, diluting and icing the solution, about a flat teaspoon of PbCl2 was obtained. Disappointing yield! This is a slow boat to China…

I’m now pretty convinced, including from reading those links that the ‘fastest’ route to dissolving lead metal is probably as follows. Use a large excess of an acid (at least twice stoichiometry), HCl or HAc, and add the metal to it at 50 - 80 C (avoid boiling). Then start adding small aliquots of a suitable oxidiser (HNO3, H2O2, perhaps as you suggest hypochlorite), allowing each aliquot to react away before adding the next one. Use total reflux to maintain acid strength as much as possible. This should dissolve the metal while maximising the efficacy of the oxidiser. But this is nothing like dissolving for instance copper or nickel in nitric acid: it’s slower and more finicky.

I’ve just ordered some pure lead (99.5 % lead) from eBay to see if the alloying elements really have much influence on the rate of dissolution.

blogfast25 - 26-9-2011 at 08:38

I tested the ‘PbO2’ plates and it was quite disappointing. 2 x 5 g of material was subjected to strong H2SO4 and strong HNO3 (ample quantities) in very comparable conditions (back to back). Both react as known with evolution of oxygen, the nitric reacting much more vigorously. But there’s not much PbO2 there, it’s quite superficial and reaction stops after short time, leaving behind a bit of white PbSO4 and dissolved Pb(NO3)2 and much unreacted lead.

blogfast25 - 28-9-2011 at 08:43

A test with about 9 g of lead powder (99.5 %, 300 mesh) with 25 ml of 70 % nitric acid was quite revealing. The powder form makes it an unfair comparison of course but it’s interesting nonetheless. The powder was so reactive the acid had to be added gradually, at least at first. Reaction was vigorous and a whitish precipitate formed almost immediately. The reaction was strongly exothermic (aided also by the formation of a crystalline solid), then dies a little but was resuscitated on heating. I then gradually added small amounts of water, keeping the heat on. The precipitate gradually dissolved until at about 70 ml total volume only some turbidity remained. It hot filtered to clear (#1 filter) easily, then the filtrate started ‘snowing’ white Pb(NO3)2 crystals, even faster when half of the tube was iced. After about 1 h; about 10 g of snow white Pb(NO3)2:

Despite the bias introduced by the powder physical form, I think this conclusively proves that purish lead dissolves much more easily in nitric acid than the lead alloy used in my battery. It’d be worth confirming this with strong HAc + strong H2O2.

sxl168 - 1-10-2011 at 14:01

I was digging for more info and came across this info from Bulletin, Issues 157-161 By United States. Bureau of Mines
PbCl2 Solubility page 20 and onward. Some pretty detailed info for leaching Lead.

I also came across an old text via Google that mentions that the Antimony added to Lead does indeed poison the Nitric Acid when trying to leech Lead. A dictionary of chemistry and the allied branches of other sciences, Volume 7 By Henry Watts
Lead page 728.

Hope this helps out some people. I'm playing with the nearly saturated salt leaching solutions at the moment.

blogfast25 - 2-10-2011 at 05:58

I was digging for more info and came across this info from Bulletin, Issues 157-161 By United States. Bureau of Mines
PbCl2 Solubility page 20 and onward. Some pretty detailed info for leaching Lead.

I also came across an old text via Google that mentions that the Antimony added to Lead does indeed poison the Nitric Acid when trying to leech Lead. A dictionary of chemistry and the allied branches of other sciences, Volume 7 By Henry Watts
Lead page 728.

Hope this helps out some people. I'm playing with the nearly saturated salt leaching solutions at the moment.

The solubility of Pb (II) in function of chloride concentration due to formation of chloride complexes PbCl<sub>3</sub><sup>-</sup> and PbCl<sub>4</sub><sup>2-</sup> is shown clearly here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead#Chloride_complexes

It would suggest higher solubility of lead in high concentration chloride media. PbCl2 has also been reported to be fairly soluble in conc. HCl.

Antimony as a ‘poison’ for nitric in alloyed lead? That would fit some facts here but elemental antimony reacts quite swiftly with nitric acid, forming the insoluble oxide. In an alloy that may be very different, though…

watson.fawkes - 2-10-2011 at 08:41

Antimony as a ‘poison’ for nitric in alloyed lead? That would fit some facts here but elemental antimony reacts quite swiftly with nitric acid, forming the insoluble oxide. In an alloy that may be very different, though…
Sounds like that oxide is forming a passivation layer. Given the different crystal structures of an alloy and of a pure metal, I find it plausible that one oxide form passivates and another does not.

blogfast25 - 2-10-2011 at 08:48

Quote: Originally posted by watson.fawkes  
Sounds like that oxide is forming a passivation layer. Given the different crystal structures of an alloy and of a pure metal, I find it plausible that one oxide form passivates and another does not.

But that doesn't explain why aqua regia kind of suffers the same fate: antimony dissolves in AR with great gusto, to full solubility. Also pewter (about 95 Sn/5 Sb) does, without any residue. Both from experience...

The most reasonable assumption thus must be that alloying components like Sb do somehow profoundly alter the dissolution behaviour of lead alloys...

watson.fawkes - 2-10-2011 at 11:51

The most reasonable assumption thus must be that alloying components like Sb do somehow profoundly alter the dissolution behaviour of lead alloys...
I'm thinking by analogy with Cor-Ten steels, in which the surface oxides form a passivation layer, unlike ordinary steels. Admittedly that layer isn't as fully passivating as alumina is, but such a kind of layer would have the effect of slowing dissolution rates, even when the substrate alloy is otherwise reactive. My hypothesis is that it's crystal structures in the body of the alloy that are affecting the way that oxides behave on the surface. This seems very much like a material compatibility issue in semiconductor manufacturing, where lattice spacing is one of the reasons that one material might not adhere to another. As such, drawing the analogy to chemically-related species with different crystal structures doesn't work. In the present case, it' material compatibility between a lead alloy and its oxides. The difference in crystal structure between Pb and a Pb-Sb system is what's at stake. The crystals of Sb or Sn-Sb aren't particularly relevant for examining a change of behavior of the crystals of different lead alloys.

sxl168 - 2-11-2011 at 13:08

I got around to processing some of the positive battery plates today and found out they will convert to PbCl2 quite readily by adding HCl solution to them. Make sure to do this outside as a lot of Chlorine gas is given off and do it in small batches. Given the amount of Chlorine that I saw come off, I'd say this is not a reasonable route to use if processing large batches unless you have a method to catch the Chlorine. After reacting, I had a lot of fine PbCl2, some unreacted PbO2, and small chunks of the metallic grid that held the PbO2 in place at the bottom of my flask. The nice thing that I noticed is that the reaction seemed to keep going even though the solution clearly became PbCl2 saturated. I just made several passes at heating to boiling to decant off the solution, adding water to the solids, and repeating the process until the all of the PbCl2 dissolved out.

You could also probably avoid the whole Chlorine gas mess by heating the battery plates until they converted to red/yellow Lead Oxides. I'll try that when I get another chance.

Question: You could just bubble the Chlorine in cool water and use that Chlorinated water mixed with a dilute acid to dissolve other metals such as Copper, right?

blogfast25 - 3-11-2011 at 07:15

Bit of a useless bugger though, PbCl2, you'd have to convert it to litharge (easy). That chlorine came off means that it's largely PbO2, of course. So it's very wasteful in HCl: half gets blown off as chlorine, the other half you've gotta dispense with. Sulfuric is the better option here (for PbO2), IMHO.

Cl2 in water? A quite weak solution, not realy useful: even if it works on copper (no idea) you'd need tons of it...

S.C. Wack - 3-11-2011 at 15:23

I'd imagine that chlorine hydrate can be made to react with anything.

blogfast25 - 5-11-2011 at 03:56

Is 'anything' not a bit too broad? Certain metals will not be attacked appreciably, others so slowly it isn't a practical method.

Endimion17 - 5-11-2011 at 04:00

Has anyone tried to make very pure lead from the salts obtained? For example, a nice lead plate using electrolysis, for element collection.

blogfast25 - 5-11-2011 at 06:49

Quote: Originally posted by Endimion17  
Has anyone tried to make very pure lead from the salts obtained? For example, a nice lead plate using electrolysis, for element collection.

I made lead by electrolysing molten PbCl2 with copper electrodes when I was about 16 but I've no idea how pure it was.

S.C. Wack - 5-11-2011 at 11:49

Is 'anything' not a bit too broad? Certain metals will not be attacked appreciably, others so slowly it isn't a practical method.

Obviously "made to react" is a small, off-topic comment, (I could have added that I also found PbSO4 in quite small crystals covering the electrodes of a very much dying battery, but this was already pointed out) which does not exactly mean adding water to chlorine hydrate, nor was I speaking of some practical amazing all-inclusive method for dissolving every substance known despite the use of anything. It was an attempt to point out that chlorine and water can be concentrated.

It is already known that no one appreciates brevity and hidden layers of meaning.

blogfast25 - 5-11-2011 at 13:52

You're just to clever by half... ;)

sxl168 - 6-11-2011 at 07:26

Quote: Originally posted by Endimion17  

For most of my purposes, I don't really need purity, however if I do, I will get Lead dissolved in solution and add a sulfate to the solution to precip. PbSO4. Hot solutions speed this up a lot and produce larger particles. There are very few insoluble sulfate salts, so you should have rather pure PbSO4 after thorough washing. I do believe that BaSO4 is used in small quantities in batteries for seed crystal sites and so that would be the main contaminate. Do note that if sodium is present in moderate or high concentration, this will not work as PbSO4 is soluble in said solutions. From PbSO4 use Sodium Carbonate or Bicarbonate to convert it to PbCO3. From there you can turn it into the product of your choice.

As for plating out Lead, I've done that but I don't know of its purity and it also forms as a loose sponge mass/dendrites that is probably >90% electrolyte. Takes a while to flush out all the electrolyte and dry it before melting. I'm not aware of any method that produces compact deposits outside of a Fluroborate electrolyte. I'd definitely like to know if anyone has gotten a compact deposit besides the use of a Fluroborate electrolyte.

dann2 - 6-11-2011 at 13:53

........... Do note that if sodium is present in moderate or high concentration, this will not work as PbSO4 is soluble in said solutions. From PbSO4 use Sodium Carbonate or Bicarbonate to convert it to PbCO3. ....................

Are you saying that Lead Sulphate is soluble in a solution of Sodium Sulphate?

That does not make sense to me.

Dann2

sxl168 - 7-11-2011 at 08:58

My bad for not proofreading before posting. Meant Sodium Chloride there.

dann2 - 31-5-2012 at 06:32

Interesting method using sugar to dissolve Lead Acid battery parts here:

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=20175

Lead Nitrate can be prepared with Ammonium Nitrate + Litharge (PbO). The PbO is added to a solution of AN and boiled whereby the Ammonia goes away and Lead Nitrate is left.
This was suggested by Plante1999.
PbO can be obtained from battery PbO2 by calcining (heating strongly) (Plante1999)

Dann2

[Edited on 31-5-2012 by dann2]

blogfast25 - 31-5-2012 at 06:44

Interesting method using sugar to dissolve Lead Acid battery parts here:

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=20175

Lead Nitrate can be prepared with Ammonium Nitrate + Litharge (PbO). The PbO is added to a solution of AN and boiled whereby the Ammonia goes away and Lead Nitrate is left.

Dann2

Thanks. I've been meaning to try that!

plante1999 - 31-5-2012 at 08:45

Dann2

I just make this process yesterday, and posted it in PbO2 anode thread this morning, few hour later the process is already in lead salt thread... Please give your reference next time (the reference is me).

MR AZIDE - 31-5-2012 at 11:32

Quote: Originally posted by garage chemist  

PbO2, lead dioxide, is very easily made by electrolyzing 20% H2SO4 with two lead electrodes. At the cathode hydrogen is evolved, at the anode PbO2 is formed as a dark brown powder.
The electrolysis can be continued until the entire anode is converted into PbO2. The PbO2 is isolated by filtering the solution, washing and drying the PbO2.

PbO2 is a powerful oxidiser, capable of forming very energetic pyrotechnic mixes, especially with powdered metals.

Excellent method ...Ill need to try this one........I did have some nice chocolate brown Lead (IV) Oxide from and old accumulator, but this sounds a nice reaction.

Ammonium Chloro Plumbate (NH4)2.PbCl6
Adding PbO2 to ICE COOLED concentrated about (30% ish) HCl, PBO2 dissolves without oxidising the HCl to , to form a lead tetra chloride ligand. PbCL4 -2.

If I remember, the solution turns a yellow colour, but if the temp rises the PbCl2 will crystallize, and the unstable-ish ligand releases chlorine....

I think I remember reading that addition of ammonia/ammonium chloride to the ice cooled, Pb Cl4 complex should precipitate out ammonium chloro Plumbate.

PbO2 + 4HCL ----> PbCl4 + H20

PbCL4 + 2Cl- ------> PbCl6 -2

then

2NH4+ ----> PbCl6 -2 -------> (NH4)2.PbCl6

Says if this is added to ice cool H2SO4 then PbCL4 as a heavy yellow oil, hydrolysed with H2O......

blogfast25 - 31-5-2012 at 12:04

Your method is correct, MR A. The PbO2 must be freshly prepared though. (NH4)2PbCl6 is yellow. (NH4)2SnCl6 also exists.

MR AZIDE - 31-5-2012 at 12:12

The PBO2 I used was from the mesh on an old accumulator, which may have been contaminated with sulphates.

Ive found a big lump of lead sheet I found years ago, ( about 3mm thick and about 40 by 30 cm.
I going to try electrolysing the H2SO4 with Pb electrodes, to see how much PbO2 I can get........

Dont know what fun can be had with the ammonium chloro plumbate yet.

blogfast25 - 31-5-2012 at 13:15

Quote: Originally posted by MR AZIDE  

Dont know what fun can be had with the ammonium chloro plumbate yet.

Not much. As you wrote, with cold (IIRW), dry, concentrated sulphuric a dark oil of PbCl4 separates out.

MR AZIDE - 31-5-2012 at 15:21

I HAVE just electrolyzed a strong NaCl solution with 2 lead electrodes, in a 100 ml beaker.

Using a MOT Tx in reverse, so the supply is 24 V.

Now, PbOH is supposed to be produced which is white, but at first, chlorine gas was being emmited, and the solution quickly has turned orange, then a dark brown precipitate has formed, which is settling at bottom of cell.

IS this precipitate likely to be Lead(IV) Oxide, or is it possible that it is a Lead Chlorate, is the Cl gas was mixing with the solution.? What colour are the LEad chlorate's,? Im assuming they are insoluble.

The elecrolysis, has now after a few mins, stopped producing any Cl gas, the Cathode still fizzing away.., and Now white PbOH is being formed at anode, with no gas evolution.
The current is falling due to the inhibition of the insolubility of the coating of Pb(OH)2,
IF the anode is wiped clean, the current is aver 2 Amp but drops to aony about 40mA.

Question is, why is the brown precip, now not happening, and its Pb(OH)2 .??

Its now disconnected, I think Ill repeat this tommorrow in a U-tube to keep the elecrtodes separate, and see what happens.

blogfast25 - 1-6-2012 at 05:54

I HAVE just electrolyzed a strong NaCl solution with 2 lead electrodes, in a 100 ml beaker.

Using a MOT Tx in reverse, so the supply is 24 V.

Now, PbOH is supposed to be produced which is white, but at first, chlorine gas was being emmited, and the solution quickly has turned orange, then a dark brown precipitate has formed, which is settling at bottom of cell.

IS this precipitate likely to be Lead(IV) Oxide, or is it possible that it is a Lead Chlorate, is the Cl gas was mixing with the solution.? What colour are the LEad chlorate's,? Im assuming they are insoluble.

The elecrolysis, has now after a few mins, stopped producing any Cl gas, the Cathode still fizzing away.., and Now white PbOH is being formed at anode, with no gas evolution.
The current is falling due to the inhibition of the insolubility of the coating of Pb(OH)2,
IF the anode is wiped clean, the current is aver 2 Amp but drops to aony about 40mA.

Question is, why is the brown precip, now not happening, and its Pb(OH)2 .??

Its now disconnected, I think Ill repeat this tommorrow in a U-tube to keep the elecrtodes separate, and see what happens.

Did you mean Pb(OH)2? The precipitate is PbO2. Lead chlorate would be white, I'm quite sure of it.

MR AZIDE - 1-6-2012 at 10:10

had a bit of difficulty in looking up lead chlorates/ perchlorates, but they are freely soluble in water.

I think what happened is the NACL was concentrated enough, that Pb(OH)2 was formed, and immediately reacted with the Cl gas, maybe changing the Pb(OH)2 to PBO2 .
I ve thrown it away now anyway.

I had much more interesting results electrolysing some HCL with Pb electrodes today, which I may post in the technochemistry bit.

here www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=20284

[Edited on 1-6-2012 by MR AZIDE]

blogfast25 - 1-6-2012 at 12:58

I think what happened is the NACL was concentrated enough, that Pb(OH)2 was formed, and immediately reacted with the Cl gas, maybe changing the Pb(OH)2 to PBO2 .
I ve thrown it away now anyway.

[Edited on 1-6-2012 by MR AZIDE]

Check the half-potentials to see if:

Pb<sup>2+</sup> + Cl<sub>2</sub> === > Pb<sup>4+</sup> + 2 Cl<sup>-</sup>

... is possible. Dunno off the top of my head, TBH...

Edit: I checked. This oxidation appears not to be thermodynamically favourable, chlorine isn't strong enough. But hypochlorite is and some of that may have formed with your electrolysis.

[Edited on 1-6-2012 by blogfast25]

MR AZIDE - 2-6-2012 at 10:21

as long as the Cl2 gas was liberated , the probable Pbo2 was produced, as definately hypochlorite will be being produced.......this oxidised the lead to from +2 to +4, .......

PbO2, Ive just read can be produced by shaking a solution of a hypochlorite with a suspension of Pb(OH)2 in water.

Lambda-Eyde - 2-6-2012 at 10:29

Check the half-potentials to see if:

Pb<sup>2+</sup> + Cl<sub>2</sub> === > Pb<sup>4+</sup> + 2 Cl<sup>-</sup>

... is possible. Dunno off the top of my head, TBH...

Edit: I checked. This oxidation appears not to be thermodynamically favourable, chlorine isn't strong enough. But hypochlorite is and some of that may have formed with your electrolysis.

I had a paper on producing Pb(AcO)<sub>4</sub> from Pb<sub>3</sub>O<sub>4</sub>, acetic acid and acetic anhydride. The yield could be maximized by oxidizing the remaining Pb<sup>2+</sup> with chlorine gas IIRC.

blogfast25 - 2-6-2012 at 10:46

PbO2, Ive just read can be produced by shaking a solution of a hypochlorite with a suspension of Pb(OH)2 in water.

No need for shaking ;), see the other thread on battery lead and my results. Hypochlorite easily oxidises Pb(OH)2 to PbO2.

[Edited on 2-6-2012 by blogfast25]

MR AZIDE - 2-6-2012 at 11:24

I see your source of NAOCl, was bleach.......is this like the cheap stuff you can buy in supermarkets.?

Ive seen like the cheap own brand stuff in the supermarket, and I read the labels just says '' contains sodium hypochlorite'', but it never says what concentration the sodium hypochlorite is.
Ive never got round to buying any to play with.

are most of these thick /thin bleaches( as they call it,) basically NaOCl in plain water?,,,, are there many additives........is the solution colorless of slightly yellow?

If so Id like to try at some point making KClO3 via nurdrage's method........

blogfast25 - 2-6-2012 at 12:10

I see your source of NAOCl, was bleach.......is this like the cheap stuff you can buy in supermarkets.?

Ive seen like the cheap own brand stuff in the supermarket, and I read the labels just says '' contains sodium hypochlorite'', but it never says what concentration the sodium hypochlorite is.
Ive never got round to buying any to play with.

are most of these thick /thin bleaches( as they call it,) basically NaOCl in plain water?,,,, are there many additives........is the solution colorless of slightly yellow?

If so Id like to try at some point making KClO3 via nurdrage's method........

Get 'no frills' thin bleach: 4 - 5 % NaClO (sodium hypochlorite). Weak concentration, strong oxidiser. Ca(ClO)2 ('pool shock') is 100 % (solid) but harder to get.

Thick = thin + glycerine. Avoid!

Fantasma4500 - 2-3-2013 at 13:12

Pb(ClO4)2 easily made

i happen to have access to NH4ClO4
aswell as i can make PbCO3 very easily (lead acetate + sodium carbonate, filter)
i cant really spot anything that should make this reaction impossible (NH4ClO4 + PbCO3 > (NH4)2CO3 + Pb(ClO4)2)
what i like about this is that NH4ClO4 is by what i understand alot more safe to store and alot easier to buy, PbCO3 is pretty easy to make, and most of all, the (NH4)2CO3 should decompose at ~60*C IN SOLUTION
i havent gotten around to do this.. yet...
i assume that it could possibly be explosive based on how Pb(ClO2)2 acts under heating, and also the fact that you shouldnt ever let a solution of Pb(ClO4)2 dry out (small amounts, more control, more knownledge)
and if it wouldnt be explosive by itself, it should act as a brilliant oxidizer..

Xenoid - 2-3-2013 at 14:23

Quote: Originally posted by Antiswat  

.... i cant really spot anything that should make this reaction impossible (NH4ClO4 + PbCO3 > (NH4)2CO3 + Pb(ClO4)2)

Well... other than the fact that lead carbonate is virtually insoluble (.00011g/100ml) that is... :)

Eddygp - 2-3-2013 at 14:30

Does anyone have an interesting way to start with lead(III) ions?

12AX7 - 2-3-2013 at 14:40

Do you mean Pb(II) or Pb(IV)? And what are you starting exactly?

Lead doesn't have a +3 (unless there's some strange complex which exhibits it, but that's practically cheating).

Tim

Eddygp - 2-3-2013 at 14:48

yes, I meant lead +3. Pb(III), and I know it is not common, but I thought there would be some sort of temporary stable compounds like hypomanganates, which aren't always stable.

blogfast25 - 3-3-2013 at 05:42

AFAIK, no one here has attempted anything re. Pb (III).

Lead Dioxide

KernelPicnic - 23-3-2013 at 19:08

This afternoon I prepared some lead dioxide on a 100 mmol scale.

33g lead nitrate was dissolved in about 80mL warm distilled water. A mixture of 150mL 6% sodium hypochlorite and 25mL 10M sodium hydroxide was added at once. Instantly, a bright orange precipitate was formed, which slowly began to darken in color. The reaction mixture was heated just below boiling for about 15 minutes, until the precipitate turned a uniform dark brown. This was then gravity filtered and washed with ~400mL of tap water. The filter cake was dried with a desk lamp for about four hours. Yield was 21g, or 88%.

PbO2.jpg - 73kB

blogfast25 - 24-3-2013 at 06:07

Nice! With freshly prepared PbO2 you can make the interesting salt (NH4)2PbCl6 (ammonium hexachloroplumbate) which no one here seems to have attempted yet. Adding chilled conc. H2SO4 to it liberates PbCl4 as a dark, heavy, oily liquid.

Heuteufel - 24-3-2013 at 06:55

Well, I once made pyridiniumhexachloroplumbate (which is very similar to the ammonium salt) by saturating a suspension of lead(II)-chloride in HCl with chlorine and precipitating the product with pyridine. Then I decomposed the pyridiniumhexachloroplumbate to PbCl4 with sulfuric acid: Lead Tetrachloride
I don´t remember a procedure, that uses lead dioxide.

Something interesting might be to attempt a synthesis of lead tetraacetate with the PbO2 (usually red lead is used) and to use the product afterwards to do a cleavage of an 1,2-diol, like for instance: Synthesis of n-butyl glyoxylate

blogfast25 - 24-3-2013 at 07:06

Quote: Originally posted by Heuteufel  

The following is from a *.pdf I picked up (I don't recall the url):

(b) Synthesis of (NH4)2PbCl6 from PbO2. It is imperative that the following reactions be performed in icecold
solutions. In a 50 mL beaker add a volume of saturated NH4Cl solution (10 mL), and in a 10 mL
beaker add concentrated (care!) HCl (5 mL). Cool both solutions thoroughly in ice. With the beaker
containing the HCl still in the ice bath, slowly add PbO2 (prepared above), with constant stirring (glass
rod); a yellow solution should be obtained. In some cases, a small amount of white precipitate will appear
at this stage; this does not influence the outcome of the reaction, however note its appearance and keep it
in mind when conducting the tests that follow. In the event that some white precipitate does appear after
adding all of the PbO2, leave the yellow solution in the ice bath for a few minutes so as to allow it to settle.
Next, quickly but carefully decant the yellow solution into the ice-cold NH4Cl solution (still in the ice
bath) with stirring, making sure to leave behind any white solid that may have previously appeared. Allow
the mixture to sit in the ice bath for several minutes in order to complete the precipitation, and then filter
the (NH4)2PbCl6 product (Buchner) from the mixture. Do not wash the product with water as it is very
soluble in this solvent. Allow the product to air dry (they may be stored in the locker until the next
laboratory session) and record the yield.

Fresh PbO2 is apparently quite soluble in concentrated HCl.

But your salt is interesting too.

[Edited on 24-3-2013 by blogfast25]

Heuteufel - 24-3-2013 at 12:44

Hmm, interesting! I once made lead dioxide from lead(II)-nitrate using sodium persulfate as an oxidiser (I prefer this method to the hypochlorite method) and I remember, I had serious problems cleaning the glassware particularly the glass frit I used for filtration. Cold HCl (37 %) had some effect, but not much, heating the acid helped to some extent...
Therefore I am somewhat surprised, but I don´t say, that the procedure doesn´t work. I must also admit, that I did the synthesis some time ago and thus my memories are somewhat vague...;)

DraconicAcid - 25-3-2013 at 08:45

Quote: Originally posted by Eddygp  
yes, I meant lead +3. Pb(III), and I know it is not common, but I thought there would be some sort of temporary stable compounds like hypomanganates, which aren't always stable.

I'd be *very* surprised if you could make a stable lead(III) compound, as that would be a 6s1 electron configuration. The s electrons (unlike the d electrons of manganese) usually come off as pairs.

blogfast25 - 25-3-2013 at 10:46

Quote: Originally posted by DraconicAcid  
I'd be *very* surprised if you could make a stable lead(III) compound, as that would be a 6s1 electron configuration. The s electrons (unlike the d electrons of manganese) usually come off as pairs.

Sure, but there are plenty 'exceptions' to these simple 'rules'. There are electron deficient compounds too, see boranes e.g. But Ive never heard of Pb(III).

DraconicAcid - 25-3-2013 at 12:00

Sure, but there are plenty 'exceptions' to these simple 'rules'. There are electron deficient compounds too, see boranes e.g. But Ive never heard of Pb(III).

I suppose a diplumbane such as hexamethyldiplumbane would technically be lead(III), it's not an ionic compound. Neither Cotton & Wilkinson nor Greenwood's Chemistry of the Elements mention lead(III) as a possible oxidation state (although they do mention the Zintl-type anions such as Pb52-.

blogfast25 - 25-3-2013 at 13:00

I suppose a diplumbane such as hexamethyldiplumbane would technically be lead(III), it's not an ionic compound. Neither Cotton & Wilkinson nor Greenwood's Chemistry of the Elements mention lead(III) as a possible oxidation state (although they do mention the Zintl-type anions such as Pb52-.

In hexamethyldiplumbane each Pb atom would share four electrons with other atoms: that's oxidation state IV by definition. The inter-Pb bond would still be an orbital with shared elctrons.

[Edited on 25-3-2013 by blogfast25]

DraconicAcid - 25-3-2013 at 13:45

In hexamethyldiplumbane each Pb atom would share four electrons with other atoms: that's oxidation state IV by definition. The inter-Pb bond would still be an orbital with shared elctrons.
[Edited on 25-3-2013 by blogfast25]

I think that would be a valence of four by definition, but not an oxidation state.

Mailinmypocket - 26-3-2013 at 12:32

Quote: Originally posted by Heuteufel  

The following is from a *.pdf I picked up (I don't recall the url):

(b) Synthesis of (NH4)2PbCl6 from PbO2. It is imperative that the following reactions be performed in icecold
solutions. In a 50 mL beaker add a volume of saturated NH4Cl solution (10 mL), and in a 10 mL
beaker add concentrated (care!) HCl (5 mL). Cool both solutions thoroughly in ice. With the beaker
containing the HCl still in the ice bath, slowly add PbO2 (prepared above), with constant stirring (glass
rod); a yellow solution should be obtained. In some cases, a small amount of white precipitate will appear
at this stage; this does not influence the outcome of the reaction, however note its appearance and keep it
in mind when conducting the tests that follow. In the event that some white precipitate does appear after
adding all of the PbO2, leave the yellow solution in the ice bath for a few minutes so as to allow it to settle.
Next, quickly but carefully decant the yellow solution into the ice-cold NH4Cl solution (still in the ice
bath) with stirring, making sure to leave behind any white solid that may have previously appeared. Allow
the mixture to sit in the ice bath for several minutes in order to complete the precipitation, and then filter
the (NH4)2PbCl6 product (Buchner) from the mixture. Do not wash the product with water as it is very
soluble in this solvent. Allow the product to air dry (they may be stored in the locker until the next
laboratory session) and record the yield.

Fresh PbO2 is apparently quite soluble in concentrated HCl.

But your salt is interesting too.

[Edited on 24-3-2013 by blogfast25]

It would seem that fresh PbO2 is not strictly required... I used an old commercial source of it and followed the instructions you quoted above, with nice results, just for fun:)

image.jpg - 93kB
Dissolved 400mg PbO2 in 5ml conc. HCl, nice yellow solution was produced.
image.jpg - 80kB
After dumping into ice cold saturated NH4Cl
image.jpg - 68kB
Filter cake...
image.jpg - 68kB
Product drying in a dish, final weight to be determined...
image.jpg - 82kB

blogfast25 - 26-3-2013 at 13:20

Well, well, well, what a lovely confirmation there, MIMP, well done!

The yellow solution (second photo) must essentially be H2PbCl6 with excess HCl.

Now if you put some chilled conc. H2SO4 on dry, cold (NH4)2PbCl6 you should observe a dark oily liquid: PbCl4. Careful with that, I'm not sure how stable it is!

The homologous (NH4)2SnCl6 also exists and is easy to synth too. Named 'pink salt' it was once an important dye mordant for bright pinks, like Pink Madder or Cochenille.

[Edited on 26-3-2013 by blogfast25]

Mailinmypocket - 26-3-2013 at 13:30

Well, well, well, what a lovely confirmation there, MIMP, well done!

The yellow solution (first photo) must essentially be H2PbCl6 with excess HCl.

Now if you put some chilled conc. H2SO4 on dry, cold (NH4)2PbCl6 you should observe a dark oily liquid: PbCl4. Careful with that, I'm not sure how stable it is!

Well, I figured it would give me a reason to use my prehistoric bottle of PbO2! I'm thinking the same as you regarding the yellow solution, there was also quite a bit of chlorine gas produced during the addition of PbO2 to the HCl but not intolerable in the small amounts used. The preparation doesn't specify how much PbO2 was produced in "the previous experiment" and I got a little too spatula-happy and added too much. This resulted in a mucky dark suspension, so I re started the experiment. In retrospect I could have just added more HCl but had a dumb moment and didnt think to do so... Fail.

Otherwise it's pretty interesting to watch, when the PbO2 is added there is a vigorously fizzing dark liquid, and all of a sudden it clears to bright yellow and you can continue adding in small amounts. Fun!

Once the product is completely dry I am definitely going to try the H2SO4 carefully, and take some pictures of the results.

*edit* just saw your comment about the tin pink salt, I will definitely give that a try too. I love making inorganic salts for some reason :P

[Edited on 26-3-2013 by Mailinmypocket]

blogfast25 - 26-3-2013 at 13:42

Yes, these salts are quite satisfying to make. On the synth of 'pink salt' there's a thread of mine here somewhere. Search for 'hexachlorostannate', if you're interested. It starts from pewter but you can start from tin or SnCl2 too.

KernelPicnic - 26-3-2013 at 15:31

I attempted to make K2PbCl6 using the same procedure for the ammonium salt, except obviously with saturated KCl. Nothing precipitated when I added the PbO2/HCl, and only after sitting in the ice bath for about 30 minutes did a small amount of what looked like fine yellowish crystals drop out of solution. It was kind of hard to tell since the color of the liquid was still bright yellow. I'm thinking the precipitate might just be PbCl2 from partial decomposition. I'll try the ammonium salt whenever I get some NH4Cl.

[Edited on 27-3-2013 by KernelPicnic]

Mailinmypocket - 26-3-2013 at 16:39

Quote: Originally posted by KernelPicnic  
I attempted to make K2PbCl6 using the same procedure for the ammonium salt, except obviously with saturated KCl. Nothing precipitated when I added the PbO2/HCl, and only after sitting in the ice bath for about 30 minutes did a small amount of what looked like fine yellowish crystals drop out of solution. It was kind of hard to tell since the color of the liquid was still bright yellow. I'm thinking the precipitate might just be PbCl2 from partial decomposition. I'll try the ammonium salt whenever I get some NH4Cl.

[Edited on 27-3-2013 by KernelPicnic]

If you can get some ammonia solution somewhere you could react that with the HCl you have and dry it out to get NH4Cl crystals

KernelPicnic - 26-3-2013 at 16:54

Quote: Originally posted by Mailinmypocket  

If you can get some ammonia solution somewhere you could react that with the HCl you have and dry it out to get NH4Cl crystals

I've done that before, but with generic household ammonia the product turned out slightly yellow. I tried subliming it, but that never worked out very well, and the result just looked worse, so I ended up throwing it away. Whatever impurities may have been in there probably wouldn't make a difference anyway now that I think about it.

PbCl4

Mailinmypocket - 28-3-2013 at 12:23

Just for a small test I added some conc. H2SO4 to a few small granules of (NH4)2PbCl6. There was an immediate reaction, and a cloudy yellow mix was produced. The quantities used were so small that it was very difficult to see any oily substance, when I took a small sample out of the tube there was obvious fuming in the air. I will be scaling it up now that I was able to see that the reaction is not terribly violent. Just need to wait to have my fume hood back up and running before doing that.

Apologies for the small scale- it's a bit hard to see anything interesting and I wanted to have an obvious sample to show, but you get the idea! Ill attach a video of the fuming nature of the liquid later on once YouTube "approves" it.

image.jpg - 72kB image.jpg - 71kB

blogfast25 - 28-3-2013 at 13:36

Water and sulphates may be the enemy of this reaction, though. Water because PbCl4 hydrolyses easily, sulphates because of insoluble lead sulphates. Better to 'keep your powder dry', as they say!

Poppy - 29-3-2013 at 17:39

Nice! With freshly prepared PbO2 you can make the interesting salt (NH4)2PbCl6 (ammonium hexachloroplumbate) which no one here seems to have attempted yet. Adding chilled conc. H2SO4 to it liberates PbCl4 as a dark, heavy, oily liquid.

Do you have a note on how long PbCl4 survives hermetically without overwhelming the jar?

blogfast25 - 30-3-2013 at 05:17

Quote: Originally posted by Poppy  

Do you have a note on how long PbCl4 survives hermetically without overwhelming the jar?

AF Holleman claims that at room temperature it slowly decomposes to PbCl2 and Cl2.

I carried out my own synthesis of (NH4)2PbCl6 yesterday, this one starting from Pb(NO3)2 (oxidising it to PbO2 with thin bleach in very alkaline solution). Although I obtained the salt, yield was lower than expected because when I dissolved the PbO2 in conc. HCl (iced) quite a bit of white precipitate formed. This is due to partial oxidation of the HCl to chlorine (which I could smell) by the PbO2, I believe :

PbO2 + 4 HCl == > PbCl2 + Cl2 +2 H2O

If I find time this afternoon I might adapt the addition procedure to minimise this loss to PbCl2.

[Edited on 30-3-2013 by blogfast25]

blogfast25 - 1-4-2013 at 06:18

An attempt at adding ice cold conc. HCl drop by drop from a 10 ml burette onto an iced, concentrated slurry (in water) of PbO2 didn't improve yield of dissolved PbCl4 (as PbCl6(2-)) by much. Right from the start chlorine gas evolution could be smelled and at the end of the addition some white precipitate (PbCl2) was obtained. Subjectively I'd say yield of dissolved PbCl4 was about the sme as during the first experiment.

Also very subjectively I'd say about 30 % of the initial PbO2 is lost to PbCl2.

[Edited on 1-4-2013 by blogfast25]

KernelPicnic - 2-4-2013 at 11:54

Off topic, but yesterday I made about 30g of lead bromide. Apparently, the stuff is pretty light sensitive. When I finished drying the product, I noticed the powder adhering to the filter paper had turned dark grey. I also left the bottle near a window overnight and a thin layer had turned black. Kind of interesting since the chloride is not photosensitive at all.

blogfast25 - 3-4-2013 at 03:16

Lead bromide isn't known for being light sensitive, as far as I know. How did you prepare it? Is it possible that it's contaminated with silver bromide?

[Edited on 3-4-2013 by blogfast25]

KernelPicnic - 3-4-2013 at 03:30

Lead bromide isn't known for being light sensitive, as far as I know. How did you prepare it? Is it possible that it's contaminated with silver bromide?

I used lead nitrate prepared by dissolving roofing lead in nitric acid, and supposedly 99% sodium bromide for use in spas. Mixed stoichiometric quantities of the solutions, filtered and washed. I highly doubt there is any silver in the product.
I actually made silver bromide the same day. It's a really nice yellow color, but it starts to turn black literally as soon as it is exposed to sunlight. I could smell a bit of bromine being evolved as it decomposed.

[Edited on 3-4-2013 by KernelPicnic]

papaya - 4-4-2013 at 15:51

I want to report about the experiment i did today.
I was looking for a convenient way of lead salts preparation from metal by electrolysis with lead anode and tried different electrolytes described here (NaCL, NaHCO3 + NaNO3, etc.) and inevitably every time I had different problems: PbO2 formation, lots of lead deposition on cathode, anode being covered with a hard crust of white stuff (carbonate?) and other things..
During experiments at last I discovered accidently, that if boric acid is dissolved in tap water (no proportins measured) used for electrolite, there's a very little current flow at 15V, BUT anode stays clear (no crust), instead, some white ''smoke'' - milky color goes off the electrode and precipitates at the bottom. To improve conductivity I added a little NaHCO3 to boric acid solution and now it goes faster - lots of white precipitate already formed, anode is not perfectly clear, but there's no such a thing like hard/insoluble crust or PbO2 formation(no brown color obsereved anywhere). In short - I'm suggesting to try borax in water electrolyte (i don't have to try myself) and find out if it will work similarly to boric acid/bicarbonate mix or even better (at least what I have now is much better than nitrate way I tried). Thanks.

Lead?

Steve_hi - 2-5-2013 at 11:18

I tryed to make aome lead acetate which turned out to be a total failure so I roasted it in a ss cup and it first turned a grey colour and I left it over th flame and it melted again and turned into more of a brown colour WHAT IS IT???

[img]C:\Users\Steve\Desktop\MAY02\New folder\2.jpg[/img]
[img]C:\Users\Steve\Desktop\MAY02\New folder\3.jpg[/img]
[img]C:\Users\Steve\Desktop\MAY02\New folder\1.jpg[/img]

2.jpg - 146kB 3.jpg - 96kB 1.jpg - 44kB

blogfast25 - 2-5-2013 at 13:24

What exactly do you call 'failure'? How did you try and make the Pb (II) (OAc)2?

Your end product is likely to be a mixture of substances rather than just one single compound. Try some reactions with it: does itissolve in water or acids to any appreciable degree for instance? Do you observe any effervescence in contact with acids?

Steve_hi - 2-5-2013 at 16:02

I used H202 lead and vinegar. it hardened like a hockey puck when i let it dry. and was a very dark brown.

Any ways as sugested by plant1999 I put it back on the fire and this is the result yellowish green with definite yellow flakes mixed in.
[img]C:\Users\Steve\Desktop\MAY02\New folder\001.jpg[/img]

001.jpg - 120kB

0003.jpg - 41kB

papaya - 9-10-2013 at 12:39

Sorry if this was asked before, but would molten lead react with molten sulfur FAST enough to provide an alternative way to lead salts preparation? PbS then probably can be digested by acids to yield desired product (or even be oxidized to PbSO4 somehow?)

testimento - 9-10-2013 at 15:06

I would like to note that I made some lead acetate recently out of curiosity. I had 20kg of car battery junk, which I first heated to 600C to decompose the PbO2 into PbO and then I powderized the residue and mixed it good with a bucket of vinegar, brought the solution to boil for 10 minutes and let it stand overnight, filtered it into clear, colorless liquor which I evaporated. White, moist crystals with acetic-like sweetish smell were left.

papaya - 9-10-2013 at 23:46

I mean while it takes too long to oxidize molten lead in air, sulfur might do it faster, though I'm not sure if PbS is soluble in acids like acetic or nitric for example, any thoughts?

[Edited on 10-10-2013 by papaya]

papaya - 10-10-2013 at 10:00

Three articles on galena ore nitric acid processing
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0304386X1...
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0304386X0...

and the last - most positive one.
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/12269328.1999.105...

Only abstract is available, but it's interesting:

"ABSTRACT

Galena, lead sulfide, is leached with nitric acid in order to prepare higher value-added products such as lead nitrate, lead carbonate, lead basic carbonate, etc. Leaching behavior has varied with the concentration of nitric acid. At the lower concentration of nitric acid, galena is dissolved into lead nitrate and hydrogen sulfide. However, at the higher concentration of nitric acid, galena is not dissolved but it is changed into lead sulfate as precipitate. The leaching efficiency is strongly dependent upon temperature and nitric acid concentration. The optimal conditions are found to be 40°C and 4–8 N nitric acid where about 95% of lead can be dissolved from lead sulfide."

[Edited on 10-10-2013 by papaya]

testimento - 11-10-2013 at 05:02

Quote: Originally posted by papaya  
I mean while it takes too long to oxidize molten lead in air

Oh yes, this is really painstaking task. Although, if you have the capability to heat the lead over 600C and blow air through SS tube, which is pre-heated to 600-900C, it will oxidize the lead quite nicely. You must remember though, the amount of air required is quite nasty, from one m3 you can get only about 0.25kg of oxygen. In this case, especially if you have easy access to nitrates, it'd be a worthwhile task to go through the nitration process. At least this method produces high quality PbO.

papaya - 11-10-2013 at 09:50

Thanks for reply, but I wanted to hear opinions especially about Pb->PbS->Pb(NO3)2 (or acetate for ex.) conversion route - sulfur is relatively cheap and it MAY be fast.

Bezaleel - 29-11-2013 at 09:21

Pyromorphite

I was reading on the lab synthesis of pyromorphite, Pb5(PO4)3Cl, or 3Pb3(PO4)2∙PbCl2.

The synthesis can be carried out by combining equivalent volumes of the following solutions: 0.026M K2HPO4, 0.044M Pb(NO3)2 and 0.009M KCl. (J. Flis et al. / Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 75 (2011) 1858–1868)

Next, larger crystals can be grown in liquid CsCl between 900C and 500C, under an inert (nitrogen) atmosphere. The pyromorphite concentration used was 1.0-3.0M%, and they used a platinum crucible. (Journal of Crystal Growth 292 (2006) 129–135)

The questions I have about this article is why they didn't heat up to the melting point of pyromorphite (1005C, Arch oral Biol. Vol. 15, pp. 469-480, 1970; was this article incorrect about the melting point?).

Also, I do not see what's so special about CsCl, that you wouldn't use a cheaper alkali chloride (Na, K)Cl?

Finally, I'd like to know where you can find solubility data for Pb5(PO4)3Cl in molten salts? And where can you find melting points for compounds like pyromorphite? (I spent 4 hours searching articles with Google Scholar, but only one result, which seems to contradict the crystal growth article. :( )

Lead Nitrate Question

TurboZfreak - 3-5-2014 at 00:54

Quick question about lead nitrate synthesis. I have been using WFNA diluted down to 68%+/-. I have been using 2 to 1 acid solution to lead. Then heating the mix to around 85C. After reaction is all complete, I use 10 times the volume in distilled water to dissolve the nitrate salts, then filter it. I then take the filtered solution and heat it to 95C and let it steam off. So far works great, I am getting great yields. But what is the best process for neutralizing the crystals? If I wash them, then I have to go through the boiling them down again.... I cant find a good reference to this from well over 2 hours of googling... Right now I have over 100g of white fuming lead nitrate... lol. Can I use a sodium bicarb solution to neutralize the crystals? I know I will have to re-boil them down, but I was not sure about the purity of the nitrate crystals when the water evaporates off. Would the bicarb be left over as well?

Ral123 - 3-5-2014 at 00:59

Quote: Originally posted by TurboZfreak  
I have been using WFNA diluted down to 68%+/-.

What an abomination. Be gone from this world.

TurboZfreak - 3-5-2014 at 01:07

OK....
what the hell was the flame for??? I have a shit ton of WFNA. I can make it easy and cheap. Why go pay a bunch of money for 68% Aqueous NA.

[Edited on 3-5-2014 by TurboZfreak]

Dornier 335A - 3-5-2014 at 01:18

Are you sure the crystals are acidic? Adding sodium bicarbonate would leave you with an impurity of sodium nitrate and bicarbonate. A better solution is to neutralize a concentrated solution of your lead nitrate with lead carbonate, filter to remove excess carbonate and then evaporate the solution.

Don't take Ral123's comment personal. Diluting WFNA is likely seen as some sort of crime in this subforum because it's the most useful reagent of them all.

TurboZfreak - 3-5-2014 at 01:26

Thank you for good input.

YES, 100% they are acidic. They give off a STRONG NOx odor as well as when I open the container, white fumes come off. The only conclusion I can come to is, I am not diluting the acid enough? I cant find a very good guide on lead nitrate synth.

Now as for the lead carbonate, does not look like a very easy acquirement.. Any suggestions on accruing this or another method?

Dornier 335A - 3-5-2014 at 01:48

It's not about the concentration of your acid, it's whether you have an excess of acid or not.

Lead carbonate should not be too difficult to prepare; it has very low solubility in water.

sasan - 3-5-2014 at 03:15

turbozfreak,the odor of nitrogen oxides from the container is because of hydrolization and after sometime it will get a yellowish brown tint like my lead nitrate and if you dissolve it in water you'll see a little amount of brownish yellow precipitate(and I think it is mixs of lead oxide,lead carbonate and lead hydroxy nitrate).
My suggestion is dissolve lead metal in NA and let it evaporate in outside to drive off the excess NA(do not boil down the solution) after complete drying dissolve the lead nitrate in distilled water and use solution of lead nitrate,if there is little brownish precipitate,add a little NA to solve it untill you get a clear solution,you can just filtrate the precipitate.
It is a suitable procedure for Pb(NO3)2 Hg(NO3)2 Bi(NO3)3 and some other salts.

Bert - 3-5-2014 at 06:38

Quote: Originally posted by TurboZfreak  
OK....
what the hell was the flame for??? I have a shit ton of WFNA. I can make it easy and cheap. Why go pay a bunch of money for 68% Aqueous NA.

He is being dramatic, WFN is a holy grail to some newer energetic materials enthusiasts.

Thanks for your help with the edit!

Also, you have not read the FAQ regarding posting here... So this goes to "beginnings" now.

Quote:

didn't find this thread before posting "Homemade Lead Nitrate" in the chemicals forum. A method to make lead nitrate is there now. ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Actually, it's HERE now. :D NBK ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ HOMEMADE LEAD NITRATE REQUIRED MATERIALS:" OLD AUTO BATTERY NITRIC ACID HYDROCHLORIC ACID Charge old battery to restore as much active material as possible and drive out as much sulfate from plates as possible. This means overcharge it (but don't make it hot to the hand) for several hours after cells are bubbling gas a lot. Then pour out the acid (this will be sulfuric at about 25% concentration with some dissolved lead sulfate in it. It can be poured into the ground but away from where people live. A junk yard in Florida (and lots like it) for 20 years bought about ten car batterys a day, and turned them upside down on the sand in a ditch in front of their yard, to get liquid out of em so he could transport them to the bigger yard sans liquid. They would not take those withe liquid in them. He put several tons of lead sulfate laden sulfuric acid in a drainage ditch that was normally dry except in rains. It cause NO visible effects. Grass growed in the ditch, trees grew 4 ft away, etc. S0, lead sulfate is NOT a major hazard to the environment. The government does not see it that way, so take care. When drained, fill all cells with water, and charge some more, then pour that out. Repeat that about 3 times, or so, then after the last pour out, fill again with water, and let sit a day so most acid in plates diffuses out. Again dump all liquid from the battery, and let it stand upside down a day, draining all that will come out. Then take apart the battery by cutting the top off just above the plates with a saw. Cut the connector posts also when doing this so you end up with just the plates and post stubs on them, and no top. Pull out the cells by pliers grabbing their cross straps. Seperate them into negative (gray) and positive(brown). Dispose of the case, tops and cell insulator plates by burial or burning. DO NOT leave them around. They shout at all persons (This guy took my lead and did something terrible with it). Keep the plates wet to prevent dust problems. Wear waterproof gloves to protect skin when handling them. Put all brown plates in a plastic bucket, and pound them with a flat stick to knock out most of the brown powder from the plate grids. Pound the brown stuff in to a coarse powder, but keep it damp so there is NO dust. Do not try to make fine dust, no need, and its hazardous. To 240 grams of brown dust, add 200 cc Nitric acid, of 50 t0 60 % (or whatever strength you got, just adjust the 200 cc about enough to compensate for your acid conc. Too much is better than not enough for the brown lead you got. not enough will show brown stuff in your white stuff, and be hard to seperate, so more acid will have to be added and it done again. OVERDO THE ACID! Put the lead dioxide (brown powder) in a quart of jar volume for every 240 grams brown powder. Pour the Nitric acid on it. Nothing happens. Might see some white fumes from the acid but no reaction usually. Pour in 10 cc of pool hydrochloric acid (about 30% stuff), all at once so conc HCL goes down on the powder through the nitric acid. Where it hits the powder a reaction ought form, (no heat needed). Bubbles of oxygen will come off. Let it sit. No need to stir, and speed up the reaction. It won't become a runaway, No red fumes or stuff, but it can bubble up and foam. If it's going pokey, stir ONCE and see what that does. Then stir to suit your desires so long as you don't cause it to get out of your container. NOTICE, THIS LIQUID IS VERY POISONOUS AND WILL CONTAMINATE HELL OUT OF THE GROUND WITH SOLUBLE LEAD NITRATE. DO KEEP ANOTHER CONTAINER, LIKE A PLASTIC BUCKET UNDER YOUR REACTION VESSLE JUST IN CASE YOU HAVE AN ACCCIDENT. When all done there will be a white precipitate where the brown powder used to be, and a pale yellow liquid above it. Pour off the liquid, (easy to do because the lead nitrate is very heavy and does not like to follow the liquid that is flowing out). Work over a containment in case you spill. You can salvage the liquid by pouring it into an excess of brown powder . When it finishes, heat the liquid and brown powder to dissolve all the nitrate you can, then pour it off. The liquid will contain lead nitrate, dry it to get the powder. 240 grams brown powder will yield 330 grams lead nitrate. A car battery has several kilos of brown lead in it. The grey plates are made mostly of lead powder. It's hard to react, so it can be melted and bullets made of it. What don't melt will be a lead compound which ought react with the weak aqua regia mix above. (NA + tad of HCL) Take care of the lead nitrate. Being very soluble in water, it can cause peak pollution levels in streams etc which cause monitoring instruments to go crazy, and launch local nothing-to-do search parties to go find where it entered. Experimenting mad scientists don't need that kind of stuff. Don't scare hell out of everyone that knows zilch about things, and they will leave you alone. Remember all "monitor" personnel crave attention, worse than a sub crewman back from a year without seeing light of day, craves sex. So expect them to say wild things about the pollution, and make it sound like they saved the world from asteroid impact. YO Ass will be their podium while they doin all that. Someone might even start yelling tarrrrouussst,...damned tarrorist... and you know where it will go from there. Just use your common sense, and don't invite trouble. Be a responsible experimenter, even if it hurts. To dispose of lead nitrate, with minimum hazard, mix it with sulfur and burn it into lead sulfate + some lead sulfide (galena) both very insoluble in water, and not capable of a pollution that would sound alarms. Avoid the fumes (stand so wind carries fumes away from you and toward a wilderness. Not good to send stink into neighbor's window. If he finds out what it came from he could cause a stink of his own.) 330 grams lead nitrate plus 64 gms sulfur ought burn like a road flare, and stink a lot since sulfur dioxide takes out the excess oxygen. It would be wise to burn it in a tin can and under ground in a wilderness area, so stink stayed there and the nitrate changed to sulfate there, and no harm done. It is a crummy grade of black powder level stuff. WASH YOUR HANDS AND FACE BEFORE EATING AFTER FOOLING WITH LEAD CHEMICALS. Don't want you to die before the government gets to kill you in some economic war to steal more oil. <small>[ August 03, 2002, 05:53 PM: Message edited by: nbk2000 ]</small>

[Edited on 4-5-2014 by Bert]

Pages:  1    3