Sciencemadness Discussion Board

dimanganese heptaoxide based explosives

kABOOM! - 26-3-2006 at 16:37

I was recently experimenting with Potassium Permangante and pure Sulfuric Acid. The idea was to isolate green-oily dimanganese heptaoxide and so far I have been able to isolate 50 mL of dimanganese heptaoxide. Its pretty violent stuff!
I'm curious if one can make an energetic type of flash powder with this stuff? I know that my dimanganese heptaoxide will ignite rubbing alcohol upon contact with it!

Anyone else try messing with dimanganese heptaoxide? What could the uses be? Isn't it one of the most violent oxidizers known?

The_Davster - 26-3-2006 at 16:49

As it is a liquid, it is not possible to make a flash powder with it. It is also explosive by itself. With xylene it detonates. I have always wanted to try mixing it with Al powder for a thermite type mix, but it might spontaneously combust that way. If you try that, go with very small ammounts. I was never able to try it due to limited permangante resources. So you isolated 50 mL of it pure? not just the solution of it in sulfuric acid?

It is some pretty nasty/fun stuff, so be carefull.

kABOOM! - 26-3-2006 at 18:41

dimanganese heptaoxide was isolated through using pure, distilled water. I did not want the reaction runaway, so I added Potassium Permangante to the cold Sulfuric acid. It worked like a charm. Naturally more liquid than solid... I've seen what happens to Potassium Permangante when a few drops of sulfuric acid are added... very exothermic reaction takes place.

The dimanganese heptaoxide (from now on lets call it Permanganic Anhydride) sat at the bottom of the flask- dark green, and oily. I was able to suck up a few large globs of the target substance using a glass eye dropper. I then added the target material into some distilled water inside a 100 ml pyrex flask, then swirling it around to clear the oily product of impurities, I then sucked up the globs again and put the oily liquid into a pyrex test tube.
Its pretty dense stuff... it will ignite on contact with Methanol, Ethanol and Isopropanol. This must be the stuff... right?

Xylene and Permanganic Anhydride sounds like a BLAST.

[Edited on 27-3-2006 by kABOOM!]

The_Davster - 26-3-2006 at 18:50

Quote:
Originally posted by kABOOM!
I then added the target material into some distilled water inside a 100 ml pyrex flask, then swirling it around to clear the oily product of impurities, I then sucked up the globs again and put the oily liquid into a pyrex test tube.

Really??!! That worked??:o I have not had the chance to use large ammounts of this stuff, but the small ammounts I added to water hydrolyzed to permanganic acid.

Isolated through filtration? Care to elaborate? As everything is liquid I do not see the point of this, morover you used some sort of glass filter right?

I am not 100% sure what you have is Mn2O7 with all this talk of washing with water and filtering.

EDIT: I made a bit of Mn2O7 and added it to water, it lasted longer than I expected, but still dissolved too fast to make a water wash work.

[Edited on 27-3-2006 by rogue chemist]

kABOOM! - 26-3-2006 at 20:03

I'm thinking your right. I have a contaminated solution... it looks like their are some crystals still left in the liquid..and its causing the material to thicken. No clue. I'm trying again.

I spoke too soon!!

UPDATE: humm, now I am really curious if I have the target substance or not. I know that it is reactive! But is it pure** ?? I guess not. The green oily liquid is soluable in water... interesting, I used my lab grade permanganate and got a different result. Humm. What is your thought on this? This green oily liquid material created is acidic...very dense too, but soluable in water.

Maybe a mix of permanganic acid/permanganic anhydride??

The_Davster - 26-3-2006 at 20:23

Well when you added it to water the water did become purple right? For me the green drop slowly dissolves leaving a purple trail. See I used a really small ammount, essentially a single drop of it, so if you have several mls, dissolution would have been much slower and less noticeable. Personally I have found it difficult to get the pure Mn2O7 separate from the solution of it in sulfuric acid. I havent got around to following the method in Brauer which produces it pure.

Yours at least catches a piece of toilet paper on fire right? Thats my favorite thing to do with it:)

kABOOM! - 26-3-2006 at 20:36

Yup. My green liquid appears to dissolve quite slowly in water, leaving some purple trails as you said it would.

Oh, and Aluminum powder acts explosively with Mn2O7... I just tried it.

Swany - 26-3-2006 at 20:56

It also explodes nicely with sulfur. And pretty much anything else that resembles fuel, or organic-ness. Rather amusingly, I was sprayed with some of the H2SO4 stuff when I dropped a large chunk of the 'sludge' that is initally formed on a piece of wood, attempted to retreat, and was promptly sprayed with the remains of the sludge. It got all over my face/shirt(made holes in it) and it stung. I took the liberty of diving into a snowbank....

I was wearing eye protection, thank goodness.

All in all, tis fun stuff. I cannot really add anything profound to the discussion.

I did have a 'runaway' once, when I added all of the rest of the KMnO4 (about 10g) and left it sit, then came back and it was on fire, spewing ozone, and making loads of fluffy MnO2. It was all quite amusing, and it smelt... ozonish. The next reaction utulized an ice bath.

kABOOM! - 26-3-2006 at 23:16

Man, I just tried a mix of Aluminum, Iron III oxide and sulfur initated by dropping a few drops of Mn207 onto the powder.... 15 seconds later, KAAAAFOMPH... an absolutely spectacular incendary mix was born.

:) this stuff is EVIL!

The_Davster - 26-3-2006 at 23:53

Quote:

:) this stuff is EVIL!

And thats why we love it:P
Attached is the method to produce it pure.

Mn2O7-Brauer.JPG - 64kB

woelen - 27-3-2006 at 01:33

kABOOM, could you please specify precisely what you did to make the Mn2O7? From all your posts I have an idea, but a nice step by step recipe would be nice. I know the method, posted by rogue chemist, but your method sounds very interesting, because it works with water.

If you provide us with a step by step methof of preparing your compound (whether it is Mn2O7 or not), then I'll try to repeat it (but not with the large amounts you used, I care too much about my fingers :D) and see whether it really is Mn2O7.

I once made a few drops of this, in a warm and very dusty room. I had the drops on a nice glass plate and what I saw was really wonderful. Every few seconds I saw little flashes/specks of light at the surface of the drop. These little flashes were due to dust particles, which when they entered the drop, were oxidized at once, with the production of little flashes of "fire". While I was staring at the wonderful phenomenon it suddenly did BANG :o ! Without any apparent reason it exploded and a cloud of fluffy MnO2 was produced.

kABOOM! - 27-3-2006 at 09:29

sure, try this.

Take 75 ml of pure H2SO4 and *slowly* add a teaspoon amount for course KMnO4. The reaction takes place almost right away. You should see two layers form, and you are looking for the dark green coloured liquid. Next take a glass eye dropper and suck up a few droplets of the dark green acidic solution of Mn207/H2S04- it will be fairly dense. Then carefully* fill a small 200ml flask with cold distilled water and add several of the green drops to it.

I find that the dense Mn2O7 does NOT dissolve right away...

Then I agitated the green blob at the bottom of the water flask and sucked it up again using the glass eye dropper. Using this method I have collected, I collected around 50ml of green-oily liquid. I also keep the test tube chilled at -1C... the excess water freezes, while the Mn207 is much like resin.
However, I like Brauer method too... I'll try that as well.

woelen - 27-3-2006 at 10:34

I'll try your method, just out of curiousity. I, however, do not intend to store the liquid. I make a small amount (scaling down by a factor of 20), do some fun experiments with it, and then it is gone. I simply think it is too dangerous to have this stuff around for any period of time.

kABOOM! - 27-3-2006 at 12:07

Very true... I'd say Peroxyacetone is far safer than this stuff.

woelen - 28-3-2006 at 14:24

I did an experiment with Mn2O7. I was not brave enough to isolate the material, but I did the experiment with a combustible liquid, which is set on fire by simply touching it. Quite spectacular.

Also nice to see is the purple vapor of Mn2O7. The experiment nicely demonstrates it. Here follows a link. I added the description to my website:

http://woelen.homescience.net/science/chem/exps/mn2o7/index....

EDIT(woelen): Changed link so that it works again.

[Edited on 8-3-13 by woelen]

chemoleo - 28-3-2006 at 17:30

Awesome, Woelen. Very nice photo/video shots!
Could you tell precisely how you made Mn2O7, and how you extracted it? Similar to what Kaboom wrote? Also, if you are up for it, did you test its properties in the presence of dust, minor organic impurities, and so on? Temperature sensitivity? There should be a large amount of experiments that could be easily done and recorded... I am sure also that this prep would be (in conjunction with kabooms thoughts/observations) would be worthy of an entry in the library!

I tried reposting one of your images here (with the green oil, http://woelen.scheikunde.net/science/chem/exps/mn2o7/exp7.jp... )to have a picture forever, but somehow I coulnt get it to work, don't ask me why.

PS Why the heck does it show 'don\'t ask me why.' - I never told it to do so! I think that's why my image uplink didnt work :(

[Edited on 29-3-2006 by chemoleo]

DeAdFX - 28-3-2006 at 19:06

Woelen or Kaboom do you know if Mn2O7 oxidizes liquid ammonia(1 atmosphere -33ish celcius). This could make an interesting novel low temp energetic material...

kABOOM! - 29-3-2006 at 01:04

...not sure, but it might! Try it out and see what happens... hell, its easy enough to make. Just, play safe. :)

woelen - 29-3-2006 at 10:49

Quote:
Originally posted by chemoleo
Could you tell precisely how you made Mn2O7, and how you extracted it? Similar to what Kaboom wrote? Also, if you are up for it, did you test its properties in the presence of dust, minor organic impurities, and so on? Temperature sensitivity?

Making it is very simple. Just put KMnO4 in concentrated H2SO4 and the oil separates from the liquid. It takes some time however. With some glass dropper (very carefully cleaned) you can take away the liquid.
Many years ago, I did the test for its stability in the presence of dust (see a few posts above) :D. Well, I can say, it is NOT stable in the presence of dust. It just explodes.
I've never done experiments with temperature. The stuff I made is at room temperature. It gives of a very thin purple vapor, which stains the glass nearby with a purple color (you have seen that on my webpage). This purple stain is produced always, even if no reaction is carried out with the material.

I personally would not make it in more than tiny quantities, and I certainly would not store it. It is a very nice compound for funny experiments (purple fire with paper, little explosions, flashing as demonstrated on my page), but no serious things can be done with it. Just too unstable.

neutrino - 29-3-2006 at 17:09

On your page, you describe Mn<sub>2</sub>O<sub>7</sub> as purple in a thin layer and green in a thick layer. I remember reading somewhere that this difference was due to the different colors seen from transmission and absorption of light. After all, purple and green are opposites on the color wheel.

The_Davster - 30-7-2006 at 10:31

The Brauer procedure for making it pure is quite the adventure!

I scaled it down 10 times. Kneeding the pure Mn2O7 oil out of the porous MnO2 is pretty nerve wracking, however after 20 min the oil flowed out well enough. I collected about half a mL of it in a 10 ml volumetric. Now the fun starts. I poured(pipette would not reach down neck well) a few drops of it on some kleenex. I was expecting instant flash as usual, but it just made the kleenex green. 10s later 'fwump' which actually did decent shredding damage to the kleenex. Now as I had poured it, there was a drip of the pure oil on the side of the volumetric, so when I put it down on my cork covered lab bench, it touched cork and BANG(really loud, like a small ammount of silver fulminate). Luckily the contents of the volumetric did not detonate as well. Then as I was kind of shaking by this point I used the rest to make a solution of HMnO4.

The attached picture shows how volatile the Mn2O7 is. This is after 13h of sitting in the mortar and pestle.

Mn2O7 vapour.JPG - 49kB

chemoleo - 30-7-2006 at 10:50

Wow, very interesting. I've got to try this! Sounds like an instant binary explosive! I seem to remember a video from Axt where he tried xylene and Mn2O7.

What is the procedure in Brauer, and how is it advantageous to the normal H2SO4/KMnO4 one?

The_Davster - 30-7-2006 at 10:59

I posted the Brauer procedure in an attachment up above in this thread. The advantage is that you produce it pure, free of potassium and sulfate ions(assuming you do not use too much H2SO4), as opposed to the 'standard' method when you just add KMnO4 to sulfuric acid and pour the resultant solution on stuff.

It is interesting, the kneeding process that is, as after letting it sit overnight, it looks like you just have MnO2, but when it is carefully scraped into a corner, the morter angled, and carefully pressed with the pestle, the Mn2O7 flows to the lower part of the pestle. It takes quite some time to get a good flow as the MnO2 is quite porous, eventually it gleams green with the Mn2O7 oozing from it.

btw, I neglected to clean my mortar and pestle with chromosulfuric acid as the procedure calls for, and I did not suffer disastrous circumstances as a result.

The vapours of it seem to be effectvly blocked by a dust mask.

EDIT: Any time I say 'flows' above really means slowly oozes.:P

[Edited on 30-7-2006 by rogue chemist]

agent_entropy - 30-7-2006 at 12:40

Awesome, rogue chemist, I was wondering how critical the chromosulfuric acid cleaning was.

Did the procedure have any negative effect on the mortar and pestle? eg. stains, erosion, etc...?

The_Davster - 30-7-2006 at 14:03

There are lots of MnO2 stains, but as evidenced by a quick test earlier from a trial run, it comes off easily enough with HCl. No erosion has been noticed yet.

Anyway, I took a nap today, and as I was falling asleep I got the idea to try to detonate the Mn2O7/MnO2 mix initially formed. It's not something I would be able to do where I am, but it could be interesting.

ethan_c - 30-7-2006 at 16:08

Quote:
Originally posted by agent_entropy
Awesome, rogue chemist, I was wondering how critical the chromosulfuric acid cleaning was.

Did the procedure have any negative effect on the mortar and pestle? eg. stains, erosion, etc...?

The reason they specifically recommend chromosulfuric (chromerge) cleaning is because that particular method is very good at dissolving and destroying any traces of organic compounds. In a laboratory, there's a good chance that the mortar & pestle would be used for crushing solid organics as well, or that one might decide to clean it with an alcohol or acetone or some other solvent, which of course would result in a rather rapid exothermic reaction upon contact with the manganese heptoxide.

The_Davster - 31-7-2006 at 05:22

I figured that adding the KMnO4 slowly, as the procedure calls for, would slowly increase the Mn2O7 concentration, oxidizing any organic stuff in a controlled fashion. Of course, this only works for the parts of the mortar and pestle in contact with the solution, but I figure the Mn2O7 fumes(as seen in a pic I uploaded) would destroy anything organic above the the acids meniscus.

agent_entropy - 31-7-2006 at 06:53

So, hydrolyzing Mn2O7 in water would produce permanganic acid (right?). My searches for permanganic acid say that it only exists in dilute solution. How dilute does it have to be?/How concentrated can it be? Any interesting uses for permanganic acid?

Also, as I understand it the plain manganate ion is MnO4 ^ -2, eg. permanganate but reduced by one electron. How come I never see any ions of the type MnO3? (As I understand the nomenclature of polyatomic ions this should be the one called manganate, what's the deal with that?)

[Edited on 31-7-2006 by agent_entropy]

Pyrovus - 31-7-2006 at 18:23

Well, according to wikipedia, the H2SO4 solution of Mn2O7 gives the cation MnO3+.

I wonder if it would be possible to get this cation to participate in nucleophilic aromatic substitution reactions, in a manner analogous to nitration (i.e. to compounds of the form R-MnO3 with R being an aromatic compound). Given how violently Mn2O7 likes to react with organic materials, it would probably be difficult to avoid oxidising the starting material all the way to CO2 and H2O. However, if it is possible to do this, this could provide a very interesting application of Mn2O7.

The_Davster - 31-7-2006 at 20:00

That would be kind of analogous to the reaction of iodine pentoxide and conc. H2SO4 to make (IO)2SO4, and pure iodosyl sulfate, without acid will do SEAr on aryl comounds to produce the corresponding iodosoaryl compound. With acid, more complicated polyvalent iodine compounds are formed such as diphenyl iodosobenzene +. An attempt at such a reaction on resorcinol lead to a spectacular runaway, big cloud of iodine vapour.

But back to the MnO3+, I imagine it could be used in nucleophilic aromatic substitution, but the direct metal-carbon may make things wonky somehow, I don't know enough about that sort of chemistry. As the Mn2O7 is really MnO3+(manganosyl? what is the name for this ion?) permanganate technically, perhaps like I2O5, it could hydrolyse in other acids making stuff like manganosyl sulfate(likely a better, less violent 'manganosylating' agent, analogous to (IO)2SO4), manganosyl perchlorate, and all sorts of fun stuff like that.

OK, I made up too many words in that post.:P

EDIT: Next time I make Mn2O7 I am definatly going to attempt 'manganosyl perchlorate' by dissolving Mn2O7 in perchloric acid. At VERY low temp of course:P

[Edited on 1-8-2006 by rogue chemist]

EDIT: Thanks Axt for the name of the MnO3+ ion.
I like the sound of permanganyl perchlorate.:P

[Edited on 1-8-2006 by rogue chemist]

Axt - 31-7-2006 at 20:20

CH3MnO3 rated a mention in "Overviews of Recent Research on Energetic Materials" by Sham et.al. but only a mention. Something about its incompatibility with other energetic materials. Sorry for being vague but I dont have the book with me here. They refered to it as methylmangenese trioxide.

Oh, MnO3 would be "permanganyl" rather then manganosyl. So I guess permanganylmethane would be another suitable name. though google knows nothing of "permanganylbenzene" and the like.

The_Davster - 31-7-2006 at 21:32

After a bit of googling around(I'll do some scifinder searches tomorrow) it seems the permanganyl ion is a bit of a hot topic in reactive intermediate studies. We have some of that research going on at my university, I may, time permitting, look a couple proffs up and have a 'hypothetical' discussion about this sort of thing.

I did find some interesting information about permanganyl chloride on an incompatibility sheet. Apparently an explosion occured while attempting to prepare it by adding conc. H2SO4 to a mix of KCl and KMnO4.
http://www.chemone.com/default/other/chemical%20incompatibil...

JohnWW - 31-7-2006 at 21:47

Permanganyl fluoride, MnO3F, has been made and is stable; like Mn2O7, but more volatile.

Food for thought

franklyn - 6-8-2006 at 11:25

Quote:
I'd say Peroxyacetone is far safer than this stuff.

That's not very reassuring

Wiki states CCl4 solvates Mn2O7, so it's reasonable that CF4 will also.
I'm thinking a CF4 solution of Mn2O7 might be a good reagent to try with
Xenon Fluoride, to try to obtain higher oxides of Xenon. The two most notable
are XeF4 and XeF6 which yields XeO3 and HF in water. Mn2O7 has three double
bonded oxygens to each Manganese both sharing the seventh oxygen with a
single bond each. There are three Fluorides of Manganese, MnF2, MnF3, MnF4,
the question is what would be the reaction path and resulting compounding ?

not_important - 6-8-2006 at 15:49

Given that Freon-14 is a gas at STP, 'solution' might not be the proper term. I think it boils around -130 C, that cold usually doesn't lead to good solutions.

Another thing is that highly fluoronated materials tend to for a 'third phase', not aqueous and not non-aqueous, the flourocarbons tend to stick to their own company.

You're thinking of reacting a xenon fluoride with manganese heptoxide to get a higher manganese flouride and xenon trioxide?

franklyn - 6-8-2006 at 16:41

Quote:
Originally posted by not_important
Given that Freon-14 is a gas at STP, 'solution' might not be the proper term. I think it boils around -130 C
You're thinking of reacting a xenon fluoride with manganese heptoxide

I should have mentioned also that this would have to be done
at elevated pressure being that CF4 is a volatile refrigerant.
The objective would be to see if a super oxygenated Xenon
can be made. One or more of the Manganese Fluorides must
result regardless.
Nothing ventured nothing gained, this is experimental after all.

woelen - 12-8-2006 at 11:38

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnWW
Permanganyl fluoride, MnO3F, has been made and is stable; like Mn2O7, but more volatile.

Probably I have made this compound, but I have not isolated it.... too explosive and too toxic!

http://woelen.homescience.net/science/chem/exps/KMnO4+NaF+H2...

The experiment, however, is quite funny and impressive. Be careful though, if you want to repeat it. It is extremely corrosive, explosive and extremely toxic, all at the same time!

EDIT(woelen): Changed link so that it works again.

[Edited on 8-3-13 by woelen]

The_Davster - 12-8-2006 at 14:28

I am not sure how you came to the conclusion that permananyl fluoride was present, it looks like frothy Mn2O7 too me. It definatly could be in there, but I am not sure the visual evidence suggensts this.

I unfortunatly will not try this, HF is something I will not work with, I would sooner drip pure Mn2O7 into anhydrous perchloric acid.

I still do have designs to attempt a perchlorate.

woelen - 13-8-2006 at 04:11

The color of the compound is quite distinct from Mn2O7 in sulphuric acid. Mn2O7 in H2SO4 is dark olive green, this compound at a similar concentration is much lighter and brighter green. I also read in literature that MnO3F is green, so that supports my hypothesis of this stuff being MnO3F, but as you could have read on my site, I am not 100% sure about that.

Axt - 15-9-2006 at 22:49

Quote:
Originally posted by Axt
CH3MnO3 rated a mention in "Overviews of Recent Research on Energetic Materials" by Sham et.al. but only a mention. Something about its incompatibility with other energetic materials. Sorry for being vague but I dont have the book with me here. They refered to it as methylmangenese trioxide.

This is what was said:

<i>"<b>Methyl manganese trioxide</b> (CH<sub>3</sub>MnO<sub>3</sub>;): This Useful oxidant and catalyst is highly exothermic whereby the fuel-laden methyl moiety is oxidized by the unusually labile oxygen available at the high-valent metal centre. Unfortunately, this material is too reactive to be compatible with a variety of sate-of-the-art formulations."</i>

tom haggen - 16-9-2006 at 07:03

I've always enjoyed this topic. However, the few times I tried experimenting with my own Mn2O7 it didn't really work out to well. I added very fine potassium permaganate to sulfuric acid and I definitely saw the formation of the dark green Mn2O7, it was unmistakable. However, A large solid mass was also formed which made it very hard to separate the Mn2O7. I assume that the solid mass was K2SO4 which is one of my most least favorite chemical by products. Any way you guys are fucking nuts playing around with this stuff. Roguechemist, I am amazed that you still have 10 fingers because that picture you posted almost made my computer screen explode it looked so volatile. Please excuse my shitty spelling I dont have microsoft word installed at the moment so no spell checker.

[Edited on 16-9-2006 by tom haggen]

ShadowWarrior4444 - 1-5-2008 at 10:00

Just to clarify, when KMnO4 is added to conc sulfuric acid, what is the resulting green solution? Is this a Mn2O7 disolved in the acid that slowly seperates out, or is it a mix of permanganic acid with sulfuric?
(Edit: Nevermind, it is apparently permanganyl sulfate, though the uses of this compound are not entirely clear yet. Perhaps a few more seconds of research will do it, heh.) It does raise the question of perhaps forming a permanganyl nitrate or persulfate, although I am aware that adding H2O2 will result in decomp to Ozone, so forming Permanganyl Monopersulfate would likely not work using that method. It seems that permanganyl fluoride is stable, so I have my doubts about any other anions being able to stabilize it. It may be interesting to attempt a reaction between it and a fluoropolymer.

On a related note, I’ve been testing the oxidizing power of this in solution on Sulfur. (As inspired by woelen's thread on higher oxidation states of S, Te, and Se.)

The procedure was as such: KMnO7 added to H2SO4 in a small borosilicate culture tube. Elemental sulfur was then immediately added after. Results so far: No explosive reaction, the granules of sulfur bubbled slightly which ceased quickly (chalked up to impurities,) then the green around each sulfur granule gradually changed to purple, and the sulfur granules themselves were observed to turn white. Only mild heating of the tube was noted. Nothing nearly as violent as I would expect from the Mn2O7 oil.

Something else I just remembered from an earlier experiment:

Adding 30% H2O2 to Mn2O7 produced a thick brown smoke that was quite obviously more dense than air. I seem to recall Mn vapor appearing a wee bit purple, and this looked distinctly like NO2, I didn't detect any scent, but then I didn’t any long whiffs either. Is it possible that rapid formation of hot O3 reacted with the N2 in the atmosphere? (This would certainly be an incredibly circuitous method for obtaining HNO3.)

P.S. I am not insane, I'm just very good friends with strong oxidizers. *smirk*

[Edited on 5-1-2008 by ShadowWarrior4444]

ScienceGeek - 1-5-2008 at 16:52

Sounds very interesting what you've done here!

I don't know if Ozone is capable of oxidising di- Nitrogen molecules, but it is able to oxidise Nitrogen Oxides.

You can test this, though! (This is one way I can think of, there probably is a better one):

Try to isolate the gas, and freeze it. If it goes colorless, it probably is Nitrogen Dioxide! Don't know if this test can act ambiguously...

-jeffB - 1-5-2008 at 19:30

Quote:
Originally posted by ShadowWarrior4444
Adding 30% H2O2 to Mn2O7 produced a thick brown smoke that was quite obviously more dense than air.

I don't believe I tried that, but when I put Mn2O7 on a paper towel, it eventually "poofed" into a mixture of purple smoke-rings and wisps of tissue-like brown MnO2 (I assume). The latter floated for quite a long time before settling out all over everything. The purple vapor was incredibly acrid, smelling like a cross between chlorine and hydrogen chloride, but with a strange fruity note. I figured it wasn't a good idea to take too many sniffs.

The_Davster - 1-5-2008 at 19:42

Quote:
Just to clarify, when KMnO4 is added to conc sulfuric acid, what is the resulting green solution? Is this a Mn2O7 disolved in the acid that slowly seperates out, or is it a mix of permanganic acid with sulfuric?

The green colour is the result of the permanganyl cation. However if you observed the formation of shiny green drops on the surface of the liquid, this is the pure liquid Mn2O7, and not just a solution. There is another thread on Mn2O7 in which I detail the preparation of this pure.

Quote:
Adding 30% H2O2 to Mn2O7 produced a thick brown smoke that was quite obviously more dense than air. I seem to recall Mn vapor appearing a wee bit purple, and this looked distinctly like NO2, I didn't detect any scent, but then I didn’t any long whiffs either. Is it possible that rapid formation of hot O3 reacted with the N2 in the atmosphere? (This would certainly be an incredibly circuitous method for obtaining HNO3.)

Catch it in a large overturned jar, it is just a very light fluffy MnO2 that can stay suspended in the air for a while. If you add a drop of either Mn2O7 solution or the pure Mn2O7 to a piece of paper, when it catches fire this same MnO2 fume is given off, and it is a lot less dispersed and is easier to identify.

ShadowWarrior4444 - 1-5-2008 at 22:35

Quote:
Quote:

Catch it in a large overturned jar, it is just a very light fluffy MnO2 that can stay suspended in the air for a while. If you add a drop of either Mn2O7 solution or the pure Mn2O7 to a piece of paper, when it catches fire this same MnO2 fume is given off, and it is a lot less dispersed and is easier to identify.

I have exposed a piece of paper to the Mn2O7 oil and observed the vapor--this vapor was decidedly different in color, relative density toward air, and scent. The vapor product of Mn2O7 and H2O2 left a solid black material behind (likely Mn, or MnO2), giving off thick brown smoke. I should note that this was pure Mn2O7 and pure 30% H2O2. *would certainly have recognized the products of Mn2O7/organic combustion.*

This was also formed not as an instantaneous plume, but as gradually rising brown smoke within the culture tube.

Quote:
Originally posted by ScienceGeek
Sounds very interesting what you've done here!

I don't know if Ozone is capable of oxidising di- Nitrogen molecules, but it is able to oxidise Nitrogen Oxides.

You can test this, though! (This is one way I can think of, there probably is a better one):

Try to isolate the gas, and freeze it. If it goes colorless, it probably is Nitrogen Dioxide! Don't know if this test can act ambiguously...

I am aware of industrial processes that utilize ozone generated via electrical arc to oxidize atmospheric N2 which is then collected as nitric acid--this was one of the first industrial processes for producing HNO3. It can even be accomplished quite nicely on a lab scale using a neon sign transformer, a few borosilicate tubes, and a wee bit of knowledge about setting up corona discharges.

As for testing the substance via freezing, I'll attempt to do that by sealing in the culture tube with PTFE. Though, any procedure for an NO2 test that doesn’t involve glass, a freezer, and waiting, would be appreciated. *can tend to be overly paranoid though*

Now that I think about it, this may indeed give an ambiguous result--if it is a metal vapor it will likely condense yielding a colorless tube. Also, a test responsive to any oxidizer may give a false positive, as well.

[Edited on 5-2-2008 by ShadowWarrior4444]

Trotsky - 6-3-2013 at 16:38

I didn't feel like creating a new thread for this, but since I had a clean batch of concentrated sulfuric acid, I thought I'd make some MnO7 and video tape it. Well, that was done and I ran out, so I made some more and wasn't video taping it.

I should have been!

I took a chunk of wax a bit smaller than an ES Tylenol, so it probably weighted 800mg or so. I did not bother to weigh it- I just wanted to see if it would start it on fire too.

I dropped it on my MnO7 mixture and waited. Nothing happened. So- with gloves and face protection, I grabbed a channel lock and with a foot or so of thick steel wire, I pushed that wax a little bit.

The resulting boom was enough to crack the window I was near and generated a bit of ringing in one ear (almost normal now).

I've done the toluene and xylene thing with it- this FAR surpassed that.

I'll probably attempt to duplicate this under controlled settings and far more carefully, but wow, this was something special.

AndersHoveland - 6-3-2013 at 19:18

One idea would be to place a tube of Mn2O7 at the center of a liquid fuel. The detonation of the Mn2O7 would suddenly cause mixture of the resulting oxygen by-product with the fuel. My guess is that there would be a slight delay before the oxygen-fuel mixture spontaneously ignited. The initial force of the explosion would blow out any flame, quickly thereafter the remnants of the Mn2O7 would spontaneously ignite. Placing the whole thing a thick walled container to help contain the initial small detonation and fuel-oxygen mixture would likely also help.

A similar concept has been demonstrated with pyrophoric rocket fuels. A combination a pyrophoric fuel and oxidizer are placed in numerous tubes. A small explosive at the center suddenly mixes them, and the rocket fuel combustion becomes part of the explosion.

DraconicAcid - 6-3-2013 at 20:02

Urg. I remember making Mn2O7 once in solution. I mixed the KMnO4 with conc. H2SO4, and saw the lovely green solution. Now, I could have sworn that Cotton and Wilkinson had described the oxide as being soluble in carbon tetrachloride or chloroform, so I figured that dichloromethane (the most common solvent in that lab) would work fine. Big mistake- huge cloud of brown MnO2-coloured smoke billowed out of the mixture, and a huge mess was created. I later checked the book, and found that it was "carbon tetrachloride or chlorofluorocarbons". Not chloroform. And definitely not dichloromethane.

I repeated the reaction once to show off to a date, and was rewarded with the sight of the dichloromethane actually catching fire, and a bigger mess than I had remembered.

Trotsky - 7-3-2013 at 09:43

"A similar concept has been demonstrated with pyrophoric rocket fuels. A combination a pyrophoric fuel and oxidizer are placed in numerous tubes. A small explosive at the center suddenly mixes them, and the rocket fuel combustion becomes part of the explosion. "

That's a cool idea, actually. A 6x6x8 inch block of wax, 9 holes drilled into it (6.5 inches deep, so not all the way through). 9 6" test tubes filled with Mn2O7, stuck into the wax slightly, with the open end covering the open hole. Keep it wax-side up, until ready to set off.

Flips over, the Mn2O7 will quickly (if it's not too cold out, it REALLY thickens up and slows it's reactivity if it's under -5C) fill the wax holes. If the quantities are right, it should produce one hell of a detonation. Have your camera ready, I want to see it on youtube ;)

Fantasma4500 - 9-3-2013 at 17:24

if you would want somehow to detonate the MnO7 you could try (obviously with great care) to pack it in a plastic bag, use a small detonator and blow it into some aluminium, magnesium or magnalium powder soaked in xylene..
as youve heard before.. 50 mL
that could very easily get out of hand, very fast.. :P

Trotsky - 9-3-2013 at 19:02

It seems that MnO7 breaks down very rapidly. After two days it's almost non-reactive. I imagine pure MnO7 is a different story, this was just KMnO7+H2SO4 method stuff, so there were tons of impurities. It's easy enough to separate most of the crude out through a fine *metal* screen (some plastics probably work fine, but I'm not gonna try it!)

It seems extremely temperature sensitive- when it's down below -3C, it loses all of it's magic. It's a cool demo for kids to drop stuff into it and watch it go poof (keeping the kids well back and upwind of course!), but when it's cooled below freezing it's almost boring- the pops are few and far between and many of the things you can react with it to get good bangs and snaps just result in slow smoking.

It seems that it's shock-insensitive, at least at cold temps. I tried whacking a drop with a hammer and got no reaction, somewhat disappointing.

AndersHoveland - 9-3-2013 at 19:48

Quote: Originally posted by Trotsky  
9 6" test tubes filled with Mn2O7, stuck into the block of wax

I really do not think wax would work too well. Much better to use a liquid fuel that can easily be vaporized by the shock wave, and intimately mix with the oxidizer. If wax was used it would just fly out in pulverised clumps. The surface area would be much lower, and thus you would get a much slower reaction rate - probably not even an explosion at all.

It is true that somewhere else I stated that wax will work just as well as flammable liquid fuel in detonatable mixtures with chlorate. But this is only because the detonation is happening within the wax, which is also already well pre-mixed with the oxidizer, it can be added. In the case of an explosive blast suddenly shattering tubes and mixing pyrophoric fuel with oxidizer, the initial force of the blast is only enough to mix the reactants, not to vaporize them. Because the reactants being mixed are not actually part of the first explosion itself.

madscientist - 28-3-2013 at 06:23

Quote: Originally posted by AndersHoveland  
One idea would be to place a tube of Mn2O7 at the center of a liquid fuel. The detonation of the Mn2O7 would suddenly cause mixture of the resulting oxygen by-product with the fuel. My guess is that there would be a slight delay before the oxygen-fuel mixture spontaneously ignited. The initial force of the explosion would blow out any flame, quickly thereafter the remnants of the Mn2O7 would spontaneously ignite. Placing the whole thing a thick walled container to help contain the initial small detonation and fuel-oxygen mixture would likely also help.

A similar concept has been demonstrated with pyrophoric rocket fuels. A combination a pyrophoric fuel and oxidizer are placed in numerous tubes. A small explosive at the center suddenly mixes them, and the rocket fuel combustion becomes part of the explosion.

This idea is fantastically stupid and a fine way to end up in the ICU. :mad:

woelen - 29-3-2013 at 01:49

Quote: Originally posted by AndersHoveland  
9 6" test tubes filled with Mn2O7, stuck into the block of wax

I really do not think wax would work too well. Much better to use a liquid fuel that can easily be vaporized by the shock wave, and intimately mix with the oxidizer. If wax was used it would just fly out in pulverised clumps. The surface area would be much lower, and thus you would get a much slower reaction rate - probably not even an explosion at all.

It is true that somewhere else I stated that wax will work just as well as flammable liquid fuel in detonatable mixtures with chlorate. But this is only because the detonation is happening within the wax, which is also already well pre-mixed with the oxidizer, it can be added. In the case of an explosive blast suddenly shattering tubes and mixing pyrophoric fuel with oxidizer, the initial force of the blast is only enough to mix the reactants, not to vaporize them. Because the reactants being mixed are not actually part of the first explosion itself.
Please do not continue along this path of possible (and likely) selfdestruction!! This thing missed my attention two weeks ago, but now I read this thread while it is raked up again, I consider it extremely bad advice. What if people really start trying this and get blown up or maim themselves? It is easy enough to obtain the chemicals needed for this amazingly dangerous action. You probably never tried working with Mn2O7 yourself. I have done experiments with this (never more than single drops) and I can tell you it is already stupid to make test tubes full of this liquid, let alone mixing it with fuels.

You have a responsibility, keep that in mind!

Fantasma4500 - 30-3-2013 at 17:00

i partially agree, because... well if people dont know what manganese heptoxide is capable of doing before you can react, then they could accidentally cut their own hand off aswell!
its very dangerous to handle manganese heptoxide, but you could see it as something to tame aswell, its interesting to take such reactive fluids and ''react'' with fuels, again very dangerous, things could go wrong in very little time.
quanities of manganese heptoxide above few drops amounts shouldnt be handled by a person who doesnt even know what it is (:
i wouldnt handle much more than a few drops of this stuff, but again this is because i live in a place thats not really suitable for handling stuff that could go bang by small mistakes, tho i would probably if i had a better place to do it experiment with it and test equipment before handling it..

Trotsky - 31-3-2013 at 12:27

I have handled as much as 100ml of MnO7 now. It is incredibly reactive.

It is also very predictable, however. It carries none of the dangers of TATP. So long as you do not accidentally add large quantities of fuel, it doesn't pose much danger.

Now, would I keep a tube sitting around filled with it? Nope. It must be kept highly secure to prevent any accidental and disastrous addition of fuel.

The danger of MnO7 doesn't exactly increase as it's volume does- it scales with the increase in fuel. If you permit only the addition of small quantities of organic compounds, you're alright. Serious precautions need to be taken before the addition of larger quantities of fuel (such as using some sort of remote-addition mechanism).

The danger is really in the speed which it reacts. It's not like you can mix up some MnO7 and Toluene for later use. You can't even mix it up and run away quick.

Where TATP may go off at any moment for no apparent reason. Carelessness may add to the danger, but the compound is inherently dangerous regardless of whatever treatment it receives. MnO7, if treated with due caution, won't harm anyone.

Making a bomb with MnO7 requires some inventiveness and caution. It's potential as a weapon is fortunately extremely limited. It's a novel explosive (it's such an odd explosive I'm not even sure that's the word), that's all. It might be neat to see how 100ml added rapidly, remotely, added to an appropriate amount of toluene would react, to see the explosion. As far as I know, no explosive device has ever been made using MnO7. I hope that anyone who might attempt such a thing would make themselves aware of all the dangers and take all possible precautions. I would never suggest that anyone try such a thing. I wouldn't call it foolish, but anyone who approaches the task without great care and knowledge, and who doesn't place safety as the absolute top priority should not even consider this.

However, I have been exposed to far too much manganese for a lifetime already (not from MnO7, however! If you are exposed to enough MnO7 to cause manganism, I think you'll have died from it's other properties first ) and fear I may already have a mild case of manganism and wish to avoid further contact with it.

[Edited on 31-3-2013 by Trotsky]

AndersHoveland - 31-3-2013 at 19:16

I imagine pure MnO7 is a different story, this was just KMnO7+H2SO4 method stuff,

It is actually Mn2O7 and KMnO4.

Most chemists never bother to say "di-manganese heptoxide". There are other examples also, nitrogen tetroxide (N2O4), phosphorous pentoxide (which confusingly can either be an amorphous substance with the ratio P2O5, or another solid compound with the definite molecular formula P4O10 )
We simply know that "MnO7" does not exist, so do not bother using the prefix "di-". This can sometimes be a little confusing to those learning about chemistry.

woelen - 1-4-2013 at 04:23

Quote:
It is also very predictable, however. It carries none of the dangers of TATP. So long as you do not accidentally add large quantities of fuel, it doesn't pose much danger.
This is not true. It is not predicatable and it can explode without apparent reason. I have had such an explosion myself! Fortunately it was just a big drop of fairly pure Mn2O7, sitting on a watch glass. But the explosion was really striking and my face was covered with many little brown spots (a few tenths of mm diameter) and the wall behind my desk also had many of these little brown spots. This happened while I was watching a very peculiar phenomenon. The room in which I did the experiment was quite dusty and only dimly lit. Every few seconds I saw a nice speck of light appearing on the drop of Mn2O7. This must have been due to a dust-particle landing on the Mn2O7. Suddenly, however, the entire drop did BANG!

Mn2O7 can explode even without fuel, a dust particle landing on it can trigger the reaction! It then at once decomposes to MnO2 and O2.

Can you imagine what happens if this occurs with a test tube full of Mn2O7?

SM2 - 1-4-2013 at 06:45

Yeah, best to treat this as if it were NCL3. BTW, is MN207 fairly stable when dissolved in an appropriate solvent? Like 50% Mn207 in isopropanol (am I pushing it?). Perhaps lower concentrations in a different solvent. Brown bottle it for sure, and avoid contamination at all costs.

Trotsky - 2-4-2013 at 08:57

Maybe I underestimate the ability of people to experiment with it... Isopropanol is fuel. It will detonate if you were to try that.

That's the thing SM2- it's hard to have any organic contamination- as soon as any is present, it goes boom. It doesn't linger for a week to surprise you. It happens more or less instantaneously.

Quote:
This is not true. It is not predicatable and it can explode without apparent reason. I have had such an explosion myself! Fortunately it was just a big drop of fairly pure Mn2O7, sitting on a watch glass. But the explosion was really striking and my face was covered with many little brown spots (a few tenths of mm diameter) and the wall behind my desk also had many of these little brown spots. This happened while I was watching a very peculiar phenomenon. The room in which I did the experiment was quite dusty and only dimly lit. Every few seconds I saw a nice speck of light appearing on the drop of Mn2O7. This must have been due to a dust-particle landing on the Mn2O7. Suddenly, however, the entire drop did BANG!

Mn2O7 can explode even without fuel, a dust particle landing on it can trigger the reaction! It then at once decomposes to MnO2 and O2.

You said without apparent reason! That's about as obvious as you can get. You were experimenting (playing) with it under dangerous circumstances and experienced a predictable result. I'm glad it wasn't worse, but you can hardly call the compound unpredictable in this situation.

If you would have had a full test tube the result would have been more or less the same. I haven't known it to ever react past what it has available for fuel, nor have I ever seen an indication that it happens. You likely had enough dust land on your drop that what wasn't used in reaction with the fuel caused the rest of the drop to be splattered everywhere. Given the set up you describe, you're lucky you didn't have a fire from one of the tiny droplets landing.

It will explode if rapidly heated and, I'm told (I haven't managed to replicate it) if it's struck hard.

I've also been told that it'll slowly oxidize a scratched poly watch glass. haven't seen it, I've only experimented with it on aluminum- I know that plastics are mostly too difficult for it to react with, but I've not wanted to take the risk.

DraconicAcid - 2-4-2013 at 12:06

Quote: Originally posted by SM2  
Yeah, best to treat this as if it were NCL3. BTW, is MN207 fairly stable when dissolved in an appropriate solvent? Like 50% Mn207 in isopropanol (am I pushing it?). Perhaps lower concentrations in a different solvent. Brown bottle it for sure, and avoid contamination at all costs.

Dimanganese heptoxide will ignite non-flammable solvents such as dichloromethane (from personal experience). Do not even think of letting it get anywhere near a flammable solvent such as isopropanol.

Trotsky - 2-4-2013 at 12:27

Don't worry about storing it- make up as much as you need for any given experiment and no more. It's so easy to make there there's no reason to bother making enough that you'd need to worry about storing it.

Aside from water, which will ruin it, I don't know of a solvent that it won't destroy.

DraconicAcid - 2-4-2013 at 13:06

Aside from water, which will ruin it, I don't know of a solvent that it won't destroy.

Cotton and Wilkinson (Advanced Inorganic Chemistry, p. 748, 4th Ed.) say that it can be extracted into carbon tetrachloride or chlorofluorocarbons. (I misremembered this as being "carbon tetrachloride or chloroform", which is why I was dumb enough to try dichloromethane.)

Trotsky - 2-4-2013 at 13:47

That makes sense, that's not exactly oxidizable.

Still, I don't know that decreasing it's concentration would offer that much in terms of stability. But I haven't done it, so i can't say for certain. It breaks down with time, even at low temps, so any sort of long term storage is probably inadvisable.

DerAlte - 4-4-2013 at 12:07

Like many experimenters, I have in the past played around producing minute quantities of Mn2O7 and NCl3. I must admit that anything that is dark and oily and obviously covalent always has me cautious!

I have always assumed that Mn2O7 is, in fact, an endothermic compound like NCl3 (ΔHF298 +295kJ/mol). A web search for the value for manganese heptoxide yielded no result, so I attempted to calculate it from the reactions
2KMnO4(s) + H2SO4(l) --> Mn2O7(l) + H2O(l) + K2SO4(s)
Or 2MnO4 - (aq) + 2H+ --> Mn2O7(l) + H2O(l)
And the assumed decomposition Mn2O7(l) --> 2MnO2(s) + 3O --> 2MnO2(s) + (3/2)O2(g)

I obiously made incorrect assumptions because each way gave a different answer. Also, all the thermodynamic quantities are not available (eg, entropies). I also tried using bond energies but again data is too sparse and guessing isn’t good enough. Plus Pauling’s electronegativity method, but again resuts are all over the place. I’m probably doing the calulations wrong but they always show a moderately negative ΔHF value (i.e. stable or just stable at RT).

Does anyone here have the knowledge to work out the value definitively?

No one doubts that Mn2O7 is a damned dangerous oxidiser, but if it is endothermic to boot, greater caution should be observed than some of the above comments suggest. Since it is reputed to explode if heated to 55C, it must be on the edge of endothermic, one assumes.

Der Alte

Trotsky - 4-4-2013 at 22:37

I can make some up and see if it really does explode at 55. I kind of think it won't, but we'll see!

How much do you think they were using when they tested that? I don't want to use much more than a mL but I suppose I could do three or four mL.

woelen - 5-4-2013 at 01:37

Even 1 ml can be quite dangerous if it explodes at once. Be careful. Use a blast shield and keep a distance from the stuff when doing the heating experiment! If you do this experiment please report back on the result and on the loudness of the explosion.

DerAlte - 13-4-2013 at 14:29

Found a value for heat of formation: see Brauer, or a post on the 1st page of this thread by Davster where it is reproduced:

heat of formation: —177.4 kcal (20°C) dissociation at approx. 55°C, detonation at 95°C. In vacuum, rapid and explosive dissociation above 10°C.

From the same source:

Stable under refrigeration (—10 °C)provided anhydrous conditions are maintained. Reacts explosively with most organic compounds; attacks acetic acid, acetic anhydride
and CCI4 even below room temperature. Dangerous compound!
The impact sensitivity of Mn2O7 is equal to that of mercuric
fulminate.

Der Alte