Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Obscure antiquated or household drugs

halogen - 27-6-2006 at 22:06

Last year, I had attended fairly amusing presentation about drugs and discussion of them, and several strange things came up. So I wonder what are some more obscure, antiquated or household drugs?
By obscure i mean... obscure. By antiquated I mean ether and that sort of thing. And by household, I mean nutmeg and that sort of thing.
Just curious y'know?:cool:

The_Davster - 27-6-2006 at 22:09

Well mercurochrome, an organic compound of mercury was used for many years as a disinfectant much like iodine was.

evil_lurker - 27-6-2006 at 22:57

I have a full old bottle of Grove's Chill Tonic sitting on top of my computer... that bottle is probably well over 60-70 years old...

Ingredients are:

Cinchonine
Cinchonidine
Reduced Iron
Sugar Syrup
Lemon Flavored

Vitus_Verdegast - 29-6-2006 at 16:24

Chlorodyne, once highly popular in Victorian Britain as a pain-relieve medicine and against diarrhea amongst other things.

A recipe of a generic formulation of Chlorodyne proceeds as follows:
from Materia Medica by William Hale-White & A.H. Douthwaite, 21st edition (1932):

Tinctura Chloroformi et Morphinæ Composita intended to be an imitation of the proprietary medicine called chlorodyne.
Mix chloroform 75, tincture of capsicum 25, tincture of Indian hemp 100, oil of peppermint 2 and glycerin 250 with alcohol (20 per cent) 450. Dissolve morphine hydrochloride 10 in the mixture. Add to it diluted hydrocyanic acid 50 and enough alcohol (90 per cent) to make 1000. Strength. 1 millilitre contains chloroform 7.5 centimils; morphine hydrochloride 1 centigram; acidum hydrocyanicum dilutum 5 centimils. Dose 5 to 15 minims - 0.2 to 1ml

(taken from Wikipedia)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/7c/Chlorodyne_adv...

"It seems to allay pain and irritation in whatever organ, and from whatever cause" :D

Also, a friend of mine has a tube of "mercury ammonium ointment" against syphilis dating from the last days of WWII. It says "double strength" in big letters on the label.

BromicAcid - 29-6-2006 at 16:40

They still sell mercurochrome at the local grocery store, my grandma swears by it. I found it there a few weeks ago after hearing that it had been banned.

[Edited on 6/30/2006 by BromicAcid]

Elawr - 30-6-2006 at 13:07

Once I helped a pharmacist friend clean up the inventory of an ancient drug store he had aquired. I was able to secure an amazing variety of pharmaceuticals dating back to the pre-FDA era of medical practice. There was a good supply of mercury compounds including red mercuric oxide and mercuric chloride (corrosive sublimate). This was used as a diuretic. Mercurous chloride (calomel) was used as a dermatological. I used some of my oxide to prepare metallic Hg to reduce some aqueous silver nitrate - made beautiful siver crystals. Sure is a good thing we didn't know how deadly Hg compounds were back in those days! Otherwise few of use would have survived!! Like wise with the arsenicals- I got big jars of both sodium and potassium arsenate (dermatological and anti-syphilitic). Made me some paris green (copper arsenoacetate) because I have always loved that beautiful shade of green. I also have several kg of bismuth subnitrate. Thinking about trying to reduce some into Bi metal. Or maybe I should oxidize it to the bismuthate and see if I can make permanganate. And many other wonderful things I can't remember since i'm at work away from my chemical pantry. He who stumbles upon an old pharmacy has truly found a mother lode of fascinating and dangerous chemical treasures from the deadly early days of clinical medicine!

[Edited on 30-6-2006 by Elawr]

halogen - 30-6-2006 at 15:01

I though that bismuth was the active ingredient in pepto bismol? Ooh and don't forget bromides, to quell "nervous disorders".

Elawr - 30-6-2006 at 15:23

iirc, bismuth subsalicylate is active ingredient of Peptobismol. I sure do wish I could find some samples of the radium compounds they once used to treat all sorts of maladies. Apparently radium and other radioisotopes were in very widespread use as OTC cure-alls around the turn of the century. It wasn't until people began showing up with all kinds of horrible radiation-induced diseases that the connection was made.

markgollum - 1-7-2006 at 11:23

I went to a small museum of pharmacology a while back and some of the ingredients in the "tonics" were shocking.
IIRC Pale women were given a solution containing strychnine:o, hypophosphate and arsenate:o salts.

But what surprised me the most, was what women with vaginal rashes, smell, etc were given.
Small, cone shaped, pieces of picric acid (like the solid suppositories) were inserted "you know where;)" and left to dissolve. Best of all, they came in boxes of approx 150g.
Just think about the yellow stains everything would get!. :o

I can just imagine myself approaching the sales counter of a small store, in a small town with two boxes of these things.:P:o

"And what do you need these for, mister?":o:o:P:(.

Quantum - 1-7-2006 at 13:40

I dont even want to know what terrible things might happen if at the same time period there was some sort of primary explosive or metal based cream for the man and the woman forgot to remove this pitric acid thing.:o

halogen - 2-7-2006 at 18:59

Would anyone like some water from my revigorator?

Vitus_Verdegast - 2-7-2006 at 20:22

I only wish I was able to make a good coca-cola-kina wine like they used to in the olde days. Now *that* must be quite a revigorator! Approved by no less than queen Victoria herself.

alas one particular ingredient is absolutely unaccessible :(

I'd still try it I suppose. I'm all for antiquated medicine :D

[Edited on 3-7-2006 by Vitus_Verdegast]

DeAdFX - 2-7-2006 at 20:30

Potassium Chlorate I believe was used as a throat soother(sp?).

unionised - 3-7-2006 at 12:56

It was (or it may have been perchlorate but that's rather thyrotoxic).
A colleague who once worked in the nuclear industry told me a story.
Every week the staff would provide urine samples to check for contamination. The lab would then dry down aliquots of the urine under a heat lamp, ash them and measure the alpha activity of the ash to see if anyone was getting contaminated with Pu, U etc.

(Per)chlorate is excreted unchanged by the kidneys.
There are a number of reducing agents in urine.
The samples turned green, then exploded while being dried. It took them a while to work out what had happened.
Can you imagine being the poor lab technician who had to go to the boss and say "Mr smith's urine sample exploded before we could count it".:D

methyl_ethyl - 5-7-2006 at 05:13

I have a physicians handbook from the 1950's that discusses the use of Dichloro-Diphenyl-Trichloroethane (DDT) as a topical treatment for headlice.

regards,

m_e

[Muudetud: 5-7-06 methyl_ethyl]

Organikum - 5-7-2006 at 12:07

Quote:
Originally posted by methyl_ethyl
I have a physicians handbook from the 1950's that discusses the use of Dichloro-Diphenyl-Trichloroethane (DDT) as a topical treatment for headlice.

regards,

m_e

[Muudetud: 5-7-06 methyl_ethyl]
Why not? Thats a perfect use for DDT and pretty safe too provided you don´t have lice every other week.
The abundant use of DDT in agriculture was the problem and the thinning of the egg shells of birds caused by this. For fighting malaria (mosquitos) DDT is still the means of choice.

And still nowadays shampoos for killing crab lice contain LINDAN - now there I would prefer DDT so any possible....

/ORG

Twospoons - 5-7-2006 at 21:13

Up until 20 years ago, one of the local pharmacists in Auckland (New Zealand) was still making cough medicine in his shop. It contained Laudanum, and was apparently very, very good !

nitro-genes - 6-7-2006 at 03:06

Speaking of common household drugs,

DMX, or Dextromethorphan containing coughing syrups are inmensly polpular here at the moment. I think most of you know this already, it's even been on the news here. The experience from DMX is said to be totally out of this world for larger doses, and doesn't even compare to the ones from magic mushrooms. Alhough DMX is much more likely to result in a bad trip.... Not for the faint-hearted! ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-medical_use_of_dextromethor...

http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/dxm/dxm.shtml

[Edited on 6-7-2006 by nitro-genes]

methyl_ethyl - 6-7-2006 at 05:30

Quote:
Originally posted by Organikum
Quote:
Why not? Thats a perfect use for DDT and pretty safe too provided you don´t have lice every other week.
The abundant use of DDT in agriculture was the problem and the thinning of the egg shells of birds caused by this. For fighting malaria (mosquitos) DDT is still the means of choice.

And still nowadays shampoos for killing crab lice contain LINDAN - now there I would prefer DDT so any possible....

/ORG

Effective yes,

Safe, I am not so sure....

Safer than Lindan, most definitely IMHO......

as you mentioned, as long as you don't have lice every other week you are probably ok.

I would suspect chronic exposure to most any chlorinated hydrocarbon pesticide comes with it's laundry list of problems.

As far as mosquito / malaria control is concerned, Bacillus thuringiensis is becoming widely used as a "green" larvacide, with exceptional results.

Back on the topic of antiquated household drugs.

I remember when one could purchase solutions of 1,4 butanediol, and GBL, over the counter for human consumption. Those days are no longer, however I still kept the bottles they came in, knowing they would be a "collectors" item at some point in the near future...:D

On a positive note the FDA approval of sodium oxybate (xyrem) was a swift kick in the ass for the anti-GHB movement.

regards,

m_e

Magpie - 6-7-2006 at 13:30

Do you remember Bromo-Seltzer? I guess it is still sold for headaches and upset stomach. Contains acetominophen, citric acid, and sodium bicarbonate.

It's been around a long time and I thought that perhaps it originally was made from a bromide but can find no reference for this.

See picture:

Bromosletzer.jpg - 30kB

Magpie - 6-7-2006 at 19:43

About 6 pages into Google I finally found the answer I was looking for in reference to the original Bromo-Seltzer formula, i.e,:

"However, many patients admitted to psychiatric institutions were found to suffer from bromism from overuse of these products, rather than from the psychiatric illnesses for which they had been incorrectly diagnosed, and the use of these products thereafter decreased until they were withdrawn from the market in 1975. Widely cited culprits included the sedative Nervine, produced by Miles Laboratory, which contained all three bromide salts; and Bromo-Seltzer, which contained 3.2 milliequivalents per teaspoon (mEq/tsp) of sodium bromide (Horowitz, 1997)."

Another report said that Emerson, the chemist who invented Bromo-Seltzer, and got rich selling it, was chairman of "American Bromine Co," "Citra Co," etc. It looks like he had control of the raw materials also.

YT2095 - 7-7-2006 at 08:06

I have a small tin of Boracic Ointment (Circa 1930) that came in an old 1924 First Aid kit, there`s still well over half left and it Looks quite usable still, although I don`t think I try finding out.

futurenobellaureate - 19-7-2006 at 17:44

Vanilla extract- my great grandfather ran a pharmacy and used it as one of his tonics.

Magpie - 19-7-2006 at 18:48

I live near an independent pharmacy where the owner has on display his collection of old chemicals and concoctions in their orignal bottles. These were used in the old days when pharmacists still compounded their remedies. Yesterday I asked a pharmacist if I could take a look at them of which there were possibly 200 or so. She said go ahead. There were bottles labeled "lead nitrate," "Poison Oak," and one with 3 ingredients, one of which was "Strychnine." I asked her about the Poison Oak, saying "in what case would you want to apply this to the human body?" She just smiled, being just as puzzled as I was I think. :o

triphenylphosphineoxide - 31-7-2006 at 07:02

Couple of Points
-DDT is quite safe as a powder, dissolved in fuel oil which is the old agricultural practice is another matter. Not to sure of the Napthalene flakes "Now With added DDT" That I found at my Grandfathers though.
-Japanese Laquer Oak is a close relative of Poison Oak I have heard of this being used essentially to tan warts. When the warts are all dried and shrivelled they can be excised much easier.
-Also a Grandfathers I found a bottle labled Phenyle body cleanser, it appears to be a weak solution of pyroligneous acid with added cresol, some of the label is gone so I don't know how strong, but WTF.

Organikum - 31-7-2006 at 08:33

When I was young I had warts on my fingers - big round ones and they didn´t go away with the usual medicine. I then got a small bottle (with a big poison/caustic sticker) with a unknown liquid. The liquid had to applied onto the warts with a dropper after the surrounding area was thoroughly creamed with some special cream for protection. When the liquid hit the wart it hissed and the wart turned yellow. After some days the wart could be removed with the root.

For the yellow color and the hiss I now believe that this was HI.

/ORG

Elawr - 31-7-2006 at 10:38

Both dichloro- and trichloroacetic acid have been used for warts. Dichloroacetic was what I've used in in my practice. It comes in a kit with about 30 ml of the acid along with a small glass vial and little wooden pointed applicator tips. Also included was some petrolatum to apply to the healthy skin around the wart as protectant from the acid. you would dip the sticks in the acid and use the pointed ends to work the slightly oily-viscous liquid into the wart. Don't recall hissing or color change, however. It has a very strong acetic smell - pungent yet almost pleasantly sweetish in low conc. It is fairly tedious procedure and kind of a pain in the butt to do - I would use when I had no liquid nitrogen on hand. It was the perfect chore to send your intern or medical students to go do. Have had no experience with trichloroacetic. It is said that conc. HNO3 will work for warts as well - i suppose you'd hear some hissing and see yellow color with that one! Never heard of using HI on warts, but I suppose it would work fine iif fairly conc.

[Edited on 31-7-2006 by Elawr]

olmpiad - 7-11-2006 at 20:14

There are many toxic medicines still out there. Try going to a whole food market, heres what I found in the homeopathic medicine aisle...

Belladonna
Strychnnine (sp?)
Mercury (II) Chloride
Uranyl Acetate :o
Arsenic Trioxide
Silver Nitrate
Antimony Potassium Tartarate (Tartar Emetic) ;)
Metallic Mercury (with a binder) :o

I can't really remember the rest, but there were a lot more!

not_important - 7-11-2006 at 20:39

At what dilution? If its 12C ( 24D or 24X ) or higher then on the average there is less than one molecule of the substance in every 18 ml of water base; add one to the number and you're down to a single molecule in a typical tablet. Most homeopathic medicines sold seem to be at least 30X, that's not going to be very toxic.

pantone159 - 8-11-2006 at 02:20

Quote:
Originally posted by olmpiad
Try going to a whole food market, heres what I found in the homeopathic medicine aisle...

Uranyl Acetate

Where did you find this??? AFAIK this isn't OTC too many places.

not_important - 8-11-2006 at 09:22

Quote:
Originally posted by pantone159
Quote:
Originally posted by olmpiad
Try going to a whole food market, heres what I found in the homeopathic medicine aisle...

Uranyl Acetate

Where did you find this??? AFAIK this isn't OTC too many places.

Try places like

http://www.abchomeopathy.com/shop.php?abrev=Uran

Note that even the most concentrate form is less than 1 part per thousand of the uranium compound.

unionised - 9-11-2006 at 12:01

Did you hear about the homeopath who forgot to take his medication? He died of an overdose?

The problem with homeopathic "remedies" as a source of materials is that they are absurdly dilute.

phangue - 9-11-2006 at 18:27

There are hundreds of these in the U.S. DISPENSARY (a book that most certainly belongs in the old-technical book site) from the late 18-hundreds—a book almost 3” thick with detailed extraction procedures for many medicines, alkaloids and other poisons. One most interesting to me is called, “lactucarium”. This drug is present in common lettuce plants (no guff) when they go to seed and develop a milky, bitter juice. In old days, this medicine was useful in the relief of cough, because, as the book claims, lactucarium affects the body in a way similar to opium, but without addiction or other harm.

Doctors are so stingy about prescribing codeine now, that it might be worth each of us having a little-old-bitter-lettuce patch of our own.

MagicJigPipe - 23-3-2008 at 13:58

Bromic, mercurochrome no longer contains Merbromin (an organic Hg compound). They replaced it with an extremely dilute solution of benzalkonium chloride (a quaternary ammonium salt used as a disinfectant and surfectant) which is one of the most mundane chemicals (and most common and cheap) in existence. In fact, I would guess that a majority of products that "kill germs" without hypochlorite contain quaternary ammonium salts. Eg Lysol, nasal spray, pool algecide etc...

So, the mercurochrome she swears by is not longer even close to what she used to use. It comes in 1oz bottles and costs over a dollar (which is a HUGE rip off since it's worth less than a penny; ~99.95% water and .05 benzalkonium chloride).

I learned all this because I bought some thinking "wow! it says mercuro". Boy was I disappointed.

Saerynide - 8-4-2008 at 22:45

Quote:
Originally posted by phangue
There are hundreds of these in the U.S. DISPENSARY (a book that most certainly belongs in the old-technical book site) from the late 18-hundreds—a book almost 3” thick with detailed extraction procedures for many medicines, alkaloids and other poisons. One most interesting to me is called, “lactucarium”. This drug is present in common lettuce plants (no guff) when they go to seed and develop a milky, bitter juice. In old days, this medicine was useful in the relief of cough, because, as the book claims, lactucarium affects the body in a way similar to opium, but without addiction or other harm.

Doctors are so stingy about prescribing codeine now, that it might be worth each of us having a little-old-bitter-lettuce patch of our own.

I think they mean "wild lettuce" (Lactuca virosa).

sf1134 - 14-5-2008 at 18:10

About a month back I found a few bottles of old medications (1960's).
Pyrroxate, which contained pyrathiazine, methoxyphenamine, asprin and caffiene
Miles Nervine, with several bromide salts
Also found camphorated oil, and a bottle of boric acid to make an eyewash

woelen - 18-5-2008 at 05:52

My wife used saturated solutions of bromine for treating wounds (e.g. wounds due to diabetes). When such a bottle was opened, thick dense clouds of red bromine vapor came out of the bottle and this liquid was poured over the wounds :o.

It is not that long ago that this treatment was still in use, I think appr. 20 years ago.

The_Davster - 18-5-2008 at 08:01

:P:D...note the date this was allowed 1885...

[Edited on 18-5-2008 by The_Davster]

YT2095 - 18-5-2008 at 08:26

here`s the Boracic ointment I mentioned along with the Silica Gel cartridge in it`s tin that was in the same Med Kit (the one I still use in the Lab).

MagicJigPipe - 23-5-2008 at 16:22

Quote:
In old days, this medicine was useful in the relief of cough, because, as the book claims, lactucarium affects the body in a way similar to opium, but without addiction or other harm.

Actually, codeine's efficacy as a cough suppressant has been disputed for quite some time. It is so weak. The only reason it works at all because it metabolizes in vivo to morphine (it is a prodrug of morphine because it seems to be useless by itself). Apparently, at the absolute most, 10% of codeine is "converted" to morphine in the body. So, in a standard 30mg pill (this is a "painkiller" dose, cough control doses are much lower) only 1.5mg-3mg of morphine is introduced into the body. I don't see how this could be effective for anything, much less pain relief or even cough supression but some swear by it.

I find it very fascinating that the addition of a single methyl (methoxy) group to a substance can basically cause it to become physiologically inert.

Isn't it sad when doctors are afraid to prescribe a substance that is barely addictive and barely "powerful" enough to suppress a cough or even kill mild pain?

Davster, cocaine is still used as a local anesthetic but it's prescription only. Also, heroin is legal (w/ prescription) in the UK and many other countries. The only reason it is illegal here (US) is because of old politics, prejudices and, more recently, because of it's stigma. In reality it is barely different from morphine but does offer some advantage (over morphine) to patients suffering from extreme pain.

Quote:

Uranyl Acetate

Read up on homeopathy. With something like that, it is very likely that there is not one molecule of uranyl acetate in the product. It's probably just sugar water and/or alcohol.

On the back, what is the dilution? 20x? 30x? 100x? 10c?

The 10c would contain less than 1 part per octillion.

Imagine taking 1mL of EtOH and dissolving that in a 100mL of water. Then take 1mL of the resulting (1% v/v) and dilute it with another 100mL of water. Then, take that .01% v/v EtOH solution and dilute it in yet another 100mL of water to create a .0001% v/v EtOH solution. Repeat that process 17 more times to get a 20c homepathic "solution". That's a .00000000000000000000000000000000001% v/v EtOH solution in water.

Okay, after some rough (but time consuming) calculations, I have determined that in a 20c solution diluted as described above would contain .0000000000001015 molecules of EtOH which means the chance that it contains even one molecule is basically zero. Even a 10c solution contains only 101,500 molecules of EtOH per 100mL (1mL EtOH is 10.15 sextillion molecules). That's less than a femtoliter.

Anyway, you get the point. It's a bunch of hocus pocus, magical bullshit.

EDIT
The Wikipedia article "Homeopathy" seems to have it's shit straight. It also has some amusing (but true) examples and comparisons that are more interesting than just comparing straight numbers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeopathy

Quote:

...the chance of a single molecule of the original substance remaining in a liter of 15C remedy dose is about one in 1.7 million, and about one in 1.7 trillion trillion trillion (10^36) for a 30C solution.

Commonly, critics of homeopathy, as well as homeopaths themselves, attempt to illustrate the dilutions involved in homeopathy with examples. Hahnemann is reported to have joked that a suitable procedure to deal with an epidemic would be to empty a bottle of poison into Lake Geneva, if it could be succussed 60 times.[70][71][72] Another example given by a critic of homeopathy states that a 12C solution is equivalent to a "pinch of salt in both the North and South Atlantic Oceans",[70][71] which is approximately correct.[73] One third of a drop of some original substance diluted into all the water on earth would produce a remedy with a concentration of about 13C.[74]

Another common illustration involves comparing homeopathic dilution to dissolving the therapeutic substance in a swimming pool.[75] One example inspired by a problem found in a set of popular algebra textbooks states that there are on the order of 10^32 molecules of water in an Olympic-size swimming pool[76] and if such a pool were filled with a 15C homeopathic remedy, to have a 63% chance of consuming at least one molecule of the original substance, one would need to swallow 1% of the volume of such a pool, or roughly 25 metric tons of water.[77][78][79]

For further perspective, 1 ml of a solution which has gone through a 30C dilution would have been diluted into a cube of water measuring 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 metres per side, which is about 106 light years. Thus, homeopathic remedies of standard potencies contain, almost certainly, only water (or alcohol, as well as sugar and other nontherapeutic ingredients). Homeopaths maintain that this water retains some "essential property" of the original material, because the preparation has been shaken after each dilution.[80]

[Edited on 5-23-2008 by MagicJigPipe]

Magpie - 5-2-2009 at 11:19

My mother has an old (1930) home economics book that I was perusing just for fun. The recommended way to deal with roaches was to spread a fine white powder, sodium fluoride, around on table tops and counter tops! :o

Nowadays the recommendation would be to wear rubber gloves and a respirator just to weigh it out.

Sedit - 5-2-2009 at 13:09

I have a bottle of mercurochrome sitting here in front of me, and I cant help but think if in say 50 years will those people look back and wounder how stupid we where to use some of the popular medication that we are using today.

Magpie - 5-2-2009 at 14:11

I have an old 1 ounce bottle of "Tincture Merthiolate" sold by Thrifty Drug Co. What I find so refreshing is that all the information I need about its makeup is plainly written right on its tiny front label, ie:

(Sodium Ethyl Mercuri Thiosalicylate, Lilly); 1:1000; alcohol 50 per cent

This is in contrast to present day product labeling which seems to have hype and obfuscation the goal.

sparkgap - 5-2-2009 at 16:16

@Magpie: Well, cryolite (Na<sub>3</sub>AlF<sub>6</sub>;) has replaced NaF for the purpose. :) As to whether it is a good trade, I ain't certain...

@Sedit: Maybe they'll laugh at how we use too few samples to test our drugs...

sparky (~_~)

Magpie - 23-6-2014 at 09:54

This weekend I was visiting a small tourist town about a 100 miles from where I live. It had the usual little museum of antiques from the surrounding area. The curator noted that there were 2 small fire extinguishers mounted on the wall about 8 feet (2.6m) above the floor. I could see that they were the old "fire grenade" type glass bulbs likely containing CCl4. I asked her if they still contained liquid. She said "No, I don't think so." Unconvinced I pushed up on one gently. A small wave was set in motion showing that it obviously was still filled. I then told her a little about carbon tet: 1) if it breaks she should evacuate the museum, let it evaporate and air out, and 2) do not call the hazmat folks, unless you are willing to put up with the ensuing circus of technicians, bureaucracy, and costs. I then offered to take them off her hands but she said she couldn't legally do that. There were two grenades. I estimate each contained about 500 ml of CCl4.

Comet_fire_extinguisher.jpg - 8kB

arkoma - 23-6-2014 at 10:36

I have a second cousin in Indiana that farms--I remember seeing those ^^^ in his barn as a kid.

Brain&Force - 25-6-2014 at 21:03

Antipyrine was once used as a fever reducer, but it can also be used as a ligand to terbium(III) complexes to make them triboluminescent.

prof_genius - 27-6-2014 at 01:16

I wish I could find a bottle of Merbromin powder that pharmacists use to make the solutions.

[Edited on 27-6-2014 by prof_genius]

zed - 3-7-2014 at 11:52

I got a tube of ointment somewhere in my house. Might be old style "Unguentine". Seemed to have a positive effect on resolving a recurrent boil problem. A little dab, once or twice, and my little skin problem disappeared forever.

Contained a smidge of Phenyl-Mercuric something or other. Improbable, that such things are still allowed.

lavenatti - 30-7-2014 at 03:18

I have a bottle of potassium chlorate tablets that still looks like new.

Also a host of old medicine bottles the wife and I dug up in the back yard (old house). A couple of them, like iodine, with a little skull and crossbones molded into the glass.

prof_genius - 30-7-2014 at 04:12

I brought back a bottle of merbromin from Australia. It is a 2% aqueous solution, and POISON is moulded into the back of the bottle.

Manifest - 31-7-2014 at 08:55

Don't be tempted to try nutmeg, not pleasant effects at all, I felt as though I had the cold for a week and it is horrible on your liver.

Oscilllator - 1-8-2014 at 02:54

I have personally dug up an old unmarked brown glass bottle with two pills inside from in our yard. The cap is rusted completely on, and there is really no way at all to identify the pills. Our house is actually around 90 years old and because there is quite a lot of stuff in the ground around out house I think it might have been used as a dump before then, so the bottle could be even older than that.

halogen - 1-8-2014 at 14:39

Oh dear.

-

So this isn't a waste of a comment, sodium nitroprusside an antique hypotensive agent: never encountered it in person, but a description in a journal article printed 198?, I remember "doubtful it would be allowed/developed as a drug today". Still used today, apparently!

disodium pentacyanonitrosylferrate(2-)

[Edited on 1-8-2014 by halogen]

prof_genius - 4-8-2014 at 03:25

I recently read about paregoric, it was a camphorated tincture of opium that was used as a cough medicine and was also used to calm small children.
Has anyone seen smelling salts at their local pharmacy?

Neuro- - 25-1-2016 at 10:33

Well, going back to nutmeg and other wierd drugs, if somebody ate rye bread with the right type of fungus on it (Claviceps purpurea) you could get ergotism, a nice old fashioned LSD trip called ergotism along with some nice gangrene.

Heavy Walter - 25-1-2016 at 12:50

From my collection of old/weird products, the following is the weirdest:
A "pill" to transfer radioactivity to drinking water. Checked with gamma spectrometry it has Ra226...
Size approx. 1 " x 1/4".

fialaB.jpg - 62kB

37fialaB.jpg - 22kB

Cancer, anyone?

Metacelsus - 25-1-2016 at 14:14

"The Radium Water Worked Fine until His Jaw Came Off" (actual headline)

That stuff makes Flint water look tempting.

(By the way, I noticed this was post 1337. W00t!)

Heavy Walter - 26-1-2016 at 08:12

Right Cheddite!

In my country there were no records of terrible deaths by radiation but surely happened, as I also found propaganda from a local laboratory that prepared "medicines" with Ra and Th.

chemrox - 26-1-2016 at 15:14

An old bottle of "tonic" might be loaded with laudanum.. that would be a welcome find for winter colds.

Neuro- - 26-1-2016 at 15:21

Don't forget heroin cough syrup

halogen - 26-1-2016 at 16:38

I don't believe the use of mercury as a medicine is obscure, it hasn't been mentioned but a couple times in this thread probably because it is the most obvious, but it sure is a horrifying tale, since Great Paracelsus, with more skill in his pinkie finger than in all the books of antiquity, advocated on the side of minerals, in addition to plant and animal based treatments. One manifestation was the "blue pills" and "blue mass"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_mass

Quote:
“Lincoln’s melancholy never failed to impress any man who ever saw or knew him. The perpetual look of sadness was his most prominent feature. The cause of this peculiar condition was a matter of frequent discussion among his friends. His liver failed to work properly—did not secrete bile—and his bowels were equally as inactive. ‘I used to advise him to take blue-mass pills,’ related Stuart, ‘and he did take them before he went to Washington, and for five months while he was President, but when I came on to Congress he told me had ceased using them because they made him cross.”[4]

Lincoln's use of blue mass may have altered his behavior, and may explain the erratic behavior and violent rages to which he was subject over a period of years prior to the Civil War in the United States. Some historians believe that this explains the contrast between his earlier behavior (while he was perhaps suffering from mercury poisoning from his use of Blue Mass) and his later behavior during the war (after he had stopped taking blue mass), given that most of the effects of mercury poisoning are reversible.[5][6]

There is, however, evidence that Lincoln continued to take blue mass. An interview given by his wife Mary Todd Lincoln to a correspondent from the Pittsburgh Chronicle suggests that Lincoln continued his use of the medication, despite his earlier statements to the contrary. In the interview Mrs. Lincoln described an instance in which her husband’s “usual medicine,” the mercury based “blue pills” made him terribly ill. Mrs. Lincoln “recalled the fact that her husband had been very ill, for several days, from the effects of a dose of blue pills taken shortly before his second inauguration.” She said he was not well, and appearing to require his usual medicine, blue pills, she sent to the drug store in which Harrold was employed last and got a dose and gave them to him at night before going to bed, and that next morning his pallor terrified her. ‘His face,’ said she, pointing to the bed beside which she sat, ‘was white as that pillow-case, as it lay just there,’ she exclaimed, laying her hand on the pillow—‘white, and such a deadly white; as he tried to rise he sank back again quite overcome!’ She described his anxiety to be up, there was so much to do, and her persistence and his oppressive languor in keeping him in bed for several days; said he and she both thought it so strange that the pills should affect him in that way; they never had done so before, and both concluded they would get no more medicine there, as the attendant evidently did not understand making up prescriptions.[7]

[Poor pharmacist just wanted to give the important man an extra strong dose of medicine!]

Unfortunately, since no hair samples from Lincoln during this period are available, it is impossible to determine whether or not he was truly suffering from mercury poisoning while he was taking the blue mass.

Other famous historical figures, such as Ulysses S. Grant, may also have taken blue mass regularly.

[Edited on 27-1-2016 by halogen]

Neuro- - 26-1-2016 at 16:52

Well in addition to Hg(I)Cl being used to treat syphilis they also used arsenic (Salvarsan) which was actually quite effective. Also in terms of metals, antimony used to make you barf.

[Edited on 27-1-2016 by Neuro-]

chemrox - 26-1-2016 at 17:25

Quote: Originally posted by Neuro-  
Don't forget heroin cough syrup

or heroin cold tablets!!!

XeonTheMGPony - 26-1-2016 at 18:52

Elemental Mercury was all so used for treatment of Ulcers way back when

NedsHead - 27-1-2016 at 01:41

Here are some home cough remedies from an old book I have

DSC_2242.jpg - 2.1MB DSC_2244.jpg - 2MB DSC_2246.jpg - 1.7MB

mayko - 27-1-2016 at 16:03

Quote: Originally posted by prof_genius  

Has anyone seen smelling salts at their local pharmacy?

The stockroom at work was clearing out some inventory, and I picked up an old-looking first aid kit (I couldn't find a date on it or its contents). It did indeed include some boxes of smelling salts. These came as small glass capsules wrapped in cotton and a fibrous net. These came 10 to a box and were activated by crushing, which breaks the glass capsule and releases the ammonia solution while keeping the glass fragments inside the cotton. They are still quite potent!

box_of_inhalers.jpg - 188kB

inhalers_closeup.jpg - 412kB

Something that I didn't expect, indeed had never heard of, was a box of "aromatic spirits ammonia, N.F." This apparently consisted of 2% ammonia and 62% ethanol, which was to be added to a conveniently included paper cup, diluted with water, and drunk as a 'reflex stimulant' (?!). The bottles of ammonia/alcohol had all dried out, leaving a slight orange residue, so they'll be going to my lab I guess :cool:

drinkin_ammonia.jpg - 159kB
drinkin_ammonia_closeup.jpg - 163kB

Theoretic - 7-2-2016 at 16:39

Quote: Originally posted by Manifest  
Don't be tempted to try nutmeg, not pleasant effects at all, I felt as though I had the cold for a week and it is horrible on your liver.

well if you overdose that bad!
:o
How much did you eat??
(also, how much did your gastric lavage cost?)

Dr.Bob - 28-2-2016 at 18:06

I have seen ampules of Salvarsan (or a similar arsenic compound) years back for sale, bought it for almost nothing.

Years ago I had some small metal cans of ether for anesthesia from Mallinkrodt. Not sure where they ended up.

Calcidrine cough syrup used to contain 1% chloroform as one ingredient.

Old drugs are really interesting to find and think about. The best display I have seen was at the Mutter museum in Philly, they had some wild stuff. www.muttermuseum.org/

pneumatician - 15-3-2016 at 18:17

lots

pharmakoteka
http://www.ub.edu/pharmakoteka/camps-de-cerca

chemrox - 16-3-2016 at 11:28

I used to get cough lozenges that had chloroform and anise
Why is nutmeg hepatoxic?

solitanze - 24-4-2016 at 10:42

I have an old empty opium bottle. It's made from ivory and even came with a special metal spoon.

I also have a bottle of mercury(II) chloride, also known as "corrosive sublimate" (gotta love those archaic names), used as a syphilis treatment.

exodia - 24-12-2016 at 19:12

in response to halogen regarding the sodium nitroprusside, is not only still in use in hospitals is one of the first line elections for malignant hypertension.
And is been deemed safe for the last 30-50 years (approx)

In fact we've had patients in the hospital with a 24hr infusion for 5 days without problems (close monitoring required obviously)

I do know that it gets metabolized in cyanide but the doses are in the magnitude of milligrams (with the resulting cyanide being a fraction of that)

interesting clip to de-evilize cyanide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWNpO5vvhpk

FranklinNewhart - 8-2-2017 at 09:51

Simple home stuff like Oil of Cloves for Tooth Ache. Still available and still works.

tsathoggua1 - 9-4-2017 at 13:11

They still sell opium tincture in the UK, at least, in england. It isn't particularly common, not all pharmacies carry it. Gee's linctus, its a fairly strongly alcoholic tincture of opium and squill (Scilla maritima, I wouldn't drink too much of the stuff due to this, since in excess squills possess cardiotonic effects similar to the cardiac glycosides IIRC)

I can attest that two or three bottles of the stuff (200ml per) is quite enough without a tolerance, and even with my opioid tolerance, I can still feel that amount (I've been on various pain meds, tried codeine and DHC, which were both crap, the codeine too weak and limited by the maximum conversion to active metabolites by cytochrome P450 enzymes, the DHC worked somewhat, not great but its short action meant I was going through way too many peaks and troughs and ending up withdrawing every day, which blows ass. Currently tolerance is equal to about 1g morphine IV, maybe 1.5, or 750-1g dipropionylmorphine. But the opium tincture is..kinda special, more like poppy pod products than pharmaceutical morphine, there is a huge difference, in that the strychnine-like bioactivity of thebaine and perhaps similar alkaloids of minor quantitative presence within opium give it a unique stimulating property that is not to be found in other morphinan opioids. Bar alpha-chloromorphide, which is just weird stuff.

I was surprised to find that in the occasionally to be found codeine syrup in the UK, there are two kinds, one sugar free which just tastes plain vile. And the other, is flavoured/preserved with CHCl3.

For some really antiquated drugs-sulfonal, trional and tetronal, presumably GABAergic although should not be used for prolonged periods, brief or single use at a time only since they cause a peculiar chemically induced blood dyscrasia with prolonged use, sulfhaemoglobinaemia most likely. These were state of the art in the late 1700s according to some old medical books I have.

AsO3 is still in use today, listed in the BNF, IIRC used for certain cancers. As is the antimony compound sodium stibogluconate, for dealing with certain parasitic infections.

One old remedy suggestion I find particularly amusing from these old books (the name is 'the household physician', late 1700s) is the suggestion to use HNO3 as a wash for piles. Sounds like fun, I don't think. They were still routinely using arsenicals, antimony compounds, Hg and white phosphorus at that time, along with plenty of other rather nasty 'cures'.

CRUSTY - 25-9-2017 at 09:43

Quote: Originally posted by nitro-genes  
Speaking of common household drugs,

DMX, or Dextromethorphan containing coughing syrups are inmensly polpular here at the moment.

[Edited on 6-7-2006 by nitro-genes]

I believe it's usually abbreviated DXM (like DeXtroMethorphan), although maybe it's a regional thing.

As for obscurity, when it comes to sore throats, I swear by Chloraseptic, which uses phenol as a local anesthetic (compounded by the fact that it is also an antiseptic). I was quite surprised to find the anesthetic use of phenol when I first found it in a store. Might not be as healthy as benzocaine or lidocaine, but it certainly works well.

EDIT: I just remembered another thing that happened a while ago. I have pretty severe restless leg syndrome, and a family member decided to gift me some sort of homeopathic "remedy" to help with general restlessness. Its primary ingredient was "zincum metallicum", which I'm pretty sure is pure zinc metal, but it came in tablet form so I can't be sure. Homeopathic medicine never ceases to amaze me with how it seems to actively ignore any scientific evidence. It would be far cheaper and healthier to replace the zinc with iron, since restless leg syndrome (and often general restlessness) is linked to ferritin deficiencies, but noooooo, they just have to avoid real evidence, no matter the literal cost.

[Edited on 25-9-2017 by CRUSTY]

Mallinckrodt Ether

methyl_ethyl - 16-10-2017 at 12:30

Quote: Originally posted by Dr.Bob  

Years ago I had some small metal cans of ether for anesthesia from Mallinkrodt. Not sure where they ended up.

Photo taken at Mayo clinic (Rochester MN. USA)

much_love

methyl_ethyl

Mallinckrodt ETHER.jpg - 92kB

methyl_ethyl - 16-10-2017 at 12:38

Quote: Originally posted by CRUSTY  

[Edited on 6-7-2006 by nitro-genes][/rquote]

As for obscurity, when it comes to sore throats, I swear by Chloraseptic, which uses phenol as a local anesthetic (compounded by the fact that it is also an antiseptic). I was quite surprised to find the anesthetic use of phenol when I first found it in a store. Might not be as healthy as benzocaine or lidocaine, but it certainly works well.

[Edited on 25-9-2017 by CRUSTY]

Interestingly Chloraseptic brand only uses phenol in their throat spray formulation and not in their lozenges. The latter of which indeed utilises benzocaine ;)

much_love

methyl_ethyl

stygian - 16-10-2017 at 15:33

I loved chloraseptic as a kid. still do actually

Morgan - 16-10-2017 at 17:53

I bought a can of ether from Mallinckrodt when I was in high school and working as a biology assistant they gave me their old catalog in which I ordered stuff from. The can had the same type of domed plastic cap and skinny neck. It was a pound can I think entitled "Ether for Anesthesia". After puncturing the metal seal and capping it, you could still faintly smell the ether so I kept it outside in an old dog house.

Something like this.
http://www.anesth.hama-med.ac.jp/Anedepartment/m-mallinckrod...

[Edited on 17-10-2017 by Morgan]

methyl_ethyl - 19-10-2017 at 11:01

Quote: Originally posted by Morgan  
I bought a can of ether from Mallinckrodt when I was in high school and working as a biology assistant they gave me their old catalog in which I ordered stuff from. The can had the same type of domed plastic cap and skinny neck. It was a pound can I think entitled "Ether for Anesthesia". After puncturing the metal seal and capping it, you could still faintly smell the ether so I kept it outside in an old dog house.

Something like this.

Same part number Mallinckrodt: 0804, the picture in your link is from the 80's whereas I believe the image I posted was from quite a bit earlier. 50's-60's I would guess. I will have to check the expiry next time I am over at Mayo ;)

much_love

methyl_ethyl

Morgan - 19-10-2017 at 17:31

Quote: Originally posted by methyl_ethyl  
Quote: Originally posted by Morgan  

Something like this.

Same part number Mallinckrodt: 0804, the picture in your link is from the 80's whereas I believe the image I posted was from quite a bit earlier. 50's-60's I would guess. I will have to check the expiry next time I am over at Mayo ;)

much_love

methyl_ethyl

Tidbits
http://blog.mallinckrodt.com/throwback-thursday-2-19-15/
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/article-abstract/24866...

Mr. Rogers - 1-11-2017 at 02:30

When I was a kid growing up in WV we used to buy dynamite at the feed store.

NEMO-Chemistry - 8-11-2017 at 09:17

When we moved we found some cleaning products in the basement. There was a couple of bars of Carbolic soap and a bar of Coal tar soap. Also was some stuff in a carboard tube, the writing had long gone, buts its slightly abrasive and removes just about anything I ever managed to burn on glass ware.

its got blue bits (granules in it), so must be safe eah.

unionised - 8-11-2017 at 11:32

Quote: Originally posted by Mr. Rogers  

Were you feeding dragons?
Meanwhile, back at the topic...
Give the history of pharmacology, if you pick any drug produced in the last 50 years or so, and wait, you have a really good chance of choosing one that is not longer in use 20 years on.
The really old ones like morphine and penicillin are still going but plenty of others have gone out of fashion.

[Edited on 8-11-17 by unionised]

methyl_ethyl - 13-12-2017 at 08:05

Quote: Originally posted by unionised  
When I was a kid growing up
Give the history of pharmacology, if you pick any drug produced in the last 50 years or so, and wait, you have a really good chance of choosing one that is not longer in use 20 years on.
The really old ones like morphine and penicillin are still going but plenty of others have gone out of fashion.

Tricyclic Antidepressants ;)

ninhydric1 - 7-1-2018 at 11:49

Saw this at an antiques store. Anyone have an idea of what this was used for?

Snapchat-1557877939.jpg - 442kB

[Edited on 1-7-2018 by ninhydric1]

Morgan - 7-1-2018 at 12:12

Therapeutic Categories
Food additive (e number)
Pharmaceutic aid
Antacid
Physical sunscreen
https://www.drugs.com/international/magnesium-trisilicate.ht...
https://www.livestrong.com/article/312027-side-effects-of-ma...

SWIM - 7-1-2018 at 12:49

Quote: Originally posted by unionised  

Were you feeding dragons?

American feed stores stock all sorts of stuff. Steel-jawed traps and veterinary drugs are my main reasons for going there.

I just bought some calomel and soda tablets from Eli Lilly. Looks like the bottle is early 20th century.
Hard to believe how long it took them to figure out that mercurous chloride isn't good for you. These pills have 65 mg each.

The directions say, "take as needed."

Probably sensible advice as long as you realize you don't need any more mercury in your diet.