Sciencemadness Discussion Board

acetylsalicylic acid + H2SO4 ==> phenols

highuse - 11-3-2015 at 12:29

Hello I am a french student in second year of chemistry in university, I have make some work on explosive substance and for the picric acid i take an synthesis with acetylsalicylic acid !
i have a bad document about some bad cook ( i don't use it for cook but just by the chemical interest ! )
and in the synthesis it's explain, H2SO4 use on acetylsalicylic acid can cut the COOH and OCOCH3 and to form finaly phenol, but i don't understand exatly how mechanism work ! so if some one can make me a draw of the mechanism and some explication it's can be magic :)

I think i fall in love to this forum when i see a discution about TATP, cook some explosive :o ect.... in french forum if you just talk about H2SO4 or HNO3 the topic have great chance to be close :/

[Edited on 11-3-2015 by highuse]

Pasrules - 11-3-2015 at 13:15

Here is some information on the hydrolysis of esters http://www.chem.ucalgary.ca/courses/351/Carey5th/Ch20/ch20-3...

Also it would help if you could post your said document.

[Edited on 11-3-2015 by Pasrules]

highuse - 11-3-2015 at 13:38

a great thanks for the link !!

LOL post the exact cook of TNT · Nitroglycérine · TNP · PETN Tétranitrate) · RDX · Plastics (B, C1, C4, Semtex) · HMX · Chlorate de Soude · Peroxyde d'Acétone · Nitrocellulose · Fulminate de Mercure · Nitrure de Plomb · Triiodure d'Azote · Hexal · HMTD

it's illegal in my country, show on internet can give me 3 year in prison and 45 000€, and i think you know about some event in my country and "red alert" for terrorism so i'm not to hot with the idea to give cook of explosive now ^^

Bert - 11-3-2015 at 14:34

Quote: Originally posted by highuse  
a great thanks for the link !!

LOL post the exact cook of TNT · Nitroglycérine · TNP · PETN Tétranitrate) · RDX · Plastics (B, C1, C4, Semtex) · HMX · Chlorate de Soude · Peroxyde d'Acétone · Nitrocellulose · Fulminate de Mercure · Nitrure de Plomb · Triiodure d'Azote · Hexal · HMTD

It would be called "synthesis" around here. Cooking is done in a kitchen... Or possibly a meth lab.

Anyhow, welcome to the board.

Please read the sciencemadness.org FAQ.

These are not exactly cookbooks-

Not familiar with EU/French law. Could you post a link to the statutes? There have certainly been French and Belgian members posting on explosives here in the past.

Pasrules - 12-3-2015 at 01:19

Actually i am french aswell but i live in Australia, the news has been bad so i can imagine the laws. I suggest if want you are interested in may put you at risk then use a VPN for your search services.

Also here a book on the preparation of this compound from aspirin Prep manual of explosives

Here is one extra link for the prep which i will post the mechanism below

[Edited on 12-3-2015 by Pasrules]

highuse - 20-3-2015 at 09:41

thx for the help :)