Sciencemadness Discussion Board

50g Sodium Metal (Very Clean), Na, Cubed -- For Sale!!!

Loptr - 17-3-2015 at 06:38

Hey guys,

I have some more sodium for sale. I am selling it in 50g amounts for $40 plus the cost of shipping. The sodium is very clean with almost no oxidation. It is stored in mineral oil, which is easily removed with a quick wash in a non-polar solvent.

Let me know if you are interested. I have some shipping supplies on the way, so as soon as it arrives I can send it out.

I accept payment via PayPal.

Here is a picture of a previous bottle of sodium that I cut up into cubes.

sodium.jpg - 91kB

Sulaiman - 17-3-2015 at 11:56

wow!, that does look very fresh,
mine that I bought in 28g ingots, oiled and individually sealed in argon had much more surface oxidation/carbonation whatever.

Loptr - 17-3-2015 at 12:15

I spend a bit of time with each order making sure the cubes are reasonably free of oxidation. They are cut from a larger ingot and I make sure to make fresh cuts for the sides. The waste goes back into mineral oil to be melted down back into a larger chunk to be cut again later.

j_sum1 - 17-3-2015 at 14:14

Loptr
Didn't I catch a youtube vid of you doing exactly this or was it someone else?

Loptr - 18-3-2015 at 06:49

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  
Loptr
Didn't I catch a youtube vid of you doing exactly this or was it someone else?

I believe that Doug has a video on Youtube where he is cutting sodium.

I don't have a Youtube page.

radiance88 - 18-3-2015 at 12:08

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsSnFEUDKtw

If you're talking about the link above..

Definitely Doug's channel.

His is heads above most other chem channels as he actively explains the reaction mechanisms going on, properties of the elements, compounds etc as opposed to other channels where it's "this happened, THE END" which leave you thinking "wtf just happened there?"..

j_sum1 - 20-3-2015 at 02:54

That would be the one.
Sometimes I get the feeling that this is rather a small community. I found that video while independently searching for something else.
Looks like I might have to check out more from Doug's channel.

Praxichys - 20-3-2015 at 05:25

You guys just made my day. :cool:

EDIT: Also bumped to vouch for Loptr. Solid guy, both to buy from and sell to.

[Edited on 20-3-2015 by Praxichys]

Loptr - 20-3-2015 at 06:51

Thanks Praxichys!

I have two orders that should be going out today. My shipping supplies finally arrived.

Loptr - 26-3-2015 at 13:48

Any more interest in Sodium?

gardul - 28-3-2015 at 02:25

I can't right now as it is time to pay the bills. In a few weeks if you still have some left I might grab some if you still have some. What is your prefered method of payment?

Loptr - 28-3-2015 at 05:34

Just let me know when you want it. I have a bit left.

I prefer PayPal.

Thank you guys for your business!

Hopefully, there will be some reviews of the product and my service to follow.

neptunium - 28-3-2015 at 08:15

got the sodium ! it is fresh and shiny as advertised , the shipping was fast and the transaction easy ...
No problem !
Thanks Loptr!I will certainly do business again!

Hellafunt - 28-3-2015 at 08:59

I received my sodium the other day, and it arrived as advertised. It was packaged really professionally also, which i guess is smart, that would be a bad one to have an accident with in the back of the mail truck. the poor guy who had to clean it up would be in for a surprise!
anyway, of course the first thing i did was put a small cube in some water. haha, so fun, i have to use control, i need to save the stuff for future projects. Thank you for sending it so quickly!

nebotmo - 15-4-2015 at 15:41

Recently received my order. Very (hydr)oxide-free Sodium. Also very good shipping and communication. Thank you!

Loptr - 15-4-2015 at 15:51

Quote: Originally posted by nebotmo  
Recently received my order. Very (hydr)oxide-free Sodium. Also very good shipping and communication. Thank you!

Well, like I said, I spend a bit of time cleaning up the sodium. Also, while processing your order I make sure to cut it from the innards of an ingot, while tossing the rounded corners into another container to later be melted down and cleaned up.

I am glad to hear you received your order, and that everything was fine.

Come again. :)

Ephesians - 16-4-2015 at 04:30

I'm interested in the sodium, however for trade. U2U me

violet sin - 3-5-2015 at 16:06

another easy and hassle free run-in with Loptr: thanks, it looks b-e-a-utifull. great sample for my collection. all the professional, fast shipping, fast replies and well packaged kind of experience a guy could ask for!

Loptr - 4-5-2015 at 05:54

Quote: Originally posted by violet sin  
another easy and hassle free run-in with Loptr: thanks, it looks b-e-a-utifull. great sample for my collection. all the professional, fast shipping, fast replies and well packaged kind of experience a guy could ask for!

Thank you for the kind words, violet sin!

Na chunks for sale

SnyderScience - 23-10-2015 at 13:09

LOPTR
Do you still have the sodium chunks for sale? I'm a HS chemistry teacher and I'm about out of my supply,
Thx

Loptr - 18-5-2016 at 12:29

Sodium metal is back!!!

This sale has resumed. If you have something you think I would like, be sure to U2U me for the possibility of a trade or discount.

Come and get it! It's very clean.

urenthesage - 23-5-2016 at 09:42

Quote: Originally posted by Loptr  
Sodium metal is back!!!

This sale has resumed. If you have something you think I would like, be sure to U2U me for the possibility of a trade or discount.

Come and get it! It's very clean.

Where are you located? I have mercury for sale, we could do a trade if you like, 100g Hg for 50g Na?

oil

Sulaiman - 23-5-2016 at 10:48

I have sodium in 28g sachets, once opened I needed oil to keep out moisture, air etc.
I used cooking oil ... BIG mistake, cloudy in days with significant corrosion of the sodium.
White Spirit is cheap, easily available here, and looks to have been working perfectly for just over a year now.
just thought it may be a useful bit of trivia.

Praxichys - 23-5-2016 at 11:52

Yes - cooking oil is composed of triglycerides which are esters. The sodium caused the esters to undergo basic hydrolysis, then reacted with the fatty acids to form their sodium salts and water. I expect this process to be autocatalytic. I'm actually a bit surprised there wasn't a bigger, more immediate reaction.

aga - 23-5-2016 at 12:15

Is Sodium metal a thing i should have ?

Just that i have none and feel kinda left out.

Loptr - 23-5-2016 at 15:57

Mineral oil, paraffin oil, and kerosene are typically used.

Aga, it's something everyone should have at least once during this hobby. You can also use it for drying solvents, as a reducing agent for a variety of functional groups, sodium alkoxides, etc., etc., or just drop it in water and watch it pop!

JJay - 23-5-2016 at 16:16

Sodium metal is definitely a thing you should have. It's not quite on the level of sulfuric acid or sodium hydroxide, but it's extremely useful.

j_sum1 - 23-5-2016 at 21:33

Obligatory
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btvQdW4fXJE

Really useful way to dispense and use sodium metal. Courtesy of myst32YT.
(How I wish he was still making videos. sigh.)

Loptr - 24-5-2016 at 06:28

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  
Obligatory
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btvQdW4fXJE

Really useful way to dispense and use sodium metal. Courtesy of myst32YT.
(How I wish he was still making videos. sigh.)

Be careful making wire, though. Wear thick gloves because you can poke yourself, and I can't imagine what it would be like to have a piece of sodium metal embedded into your hand. I would imagine it would be pretty close to hell.

j_sum1

Sulaiman - 24-5-2016 at 08:27

Thanks for the sodium extrusion video,
based on the video I just ordered a similar extruder but screw-driven
http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/19-Discs-Clay-Fimo-Extruder-Craft-Gu...

Loptr - 24-5-2016 at 08:30

Quote: Originally posted by Sulaiman  
Thanks for the sodium extrusion video,
based on the video I just ordered a similar extruder but screw-driven
http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/19-Discs-Clay-Fimo-Extruder-Craft-Gu...

That looks a lot more durable than the one in the video. I would probably go with this one, personally. I might have to start making sodium wire and selling it.