Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Removing sodium from a solution

atomicfire - 11-5-2015 at 09:36

Hi all,

Long time reader seldom poster here looking for a little advice.

I have a solution that is a waste product from a process that I need to dispose of. The problem is that the solution is concentrated and contains high levels of sodium ions in solution. I want to remove as much of the sodium as possible.

One big problem is that once the solution cools, it gets so vicous that it renders itself unusable. Dilution is something I need to stay away from as much as possible but if that's the only way then I can go that route.

I was thinking of trying to react it with HCl but I don't know if I can get the salt out.

Any suggestions? What are other ways of removing metal ions from a solution?

Loptr - 11-5-2015 at 09:48

Depending on the situation you have going on there, you will most likely have to resort to the solubility (or limited solubility) of your compounds of interest in various solvents in order to separate them.

You need to provide more information about your solution, such as the solvent(s) involved and its solvated contents.

[Edited on 11-5-2015 by Loptr]

Amos - 11-5-2015 at 10:48

If it's something you've deemed necessary of disposal, I'd be more worried about what kinds of anions you're dealing with, rather than sodium being problematic.

aga - 11-5-2015 at 11:57

What Volumes are involved ?

Is this a home chemistry experiment (<1 litre solution) or an Industrial requirement ( > 1000 litres) ?

blogfast25 - 11-5-2015 at 12:32

One of the most insoluble sodium compounds is sodium antimonate (Na2SbO3 hydrate).

Sodium dihydroxytartrate and acid potassium pyroantimonate

WGTR - 11-5-2015 at 17:26

Used for estimation of sodium in solution:

https://books.google.com/books?id=STM9AAAAIAAJ&pg=PA24&a...

sodium.jpg - 95kB

[Edited on 5-12-2015 by WGTR]

phlogiston - 12-5-2015 at 07:46

reverse osmosis
ion exchange

Depending on what you want to separate the sodium from (ie the other stuff in the solution), other options may exist (eg. dialysis if you the other molecules are large).

I don't understand why you are focusing on the sodium? Presumably, it is not a harmful component of your waste (unless it is sodium-22).

[Edited on 12-5-2015 by phlogiston]

macckone - 12-5-2015 at 20:19

Knowing what else is in the solution is necessary to know how to remove unwanted components.

Steam - 13-5-2015 at 07:12

try using crown ethers. Depending on the size of the crown ether you can move the appropriate ion to an organic phase.

Hawkguy - 14-5-2015 at 06:31

Try adding a solvent that renders the Sodium insoluble... Alcohol gets rid of the Sodium Sulfate, Carbonate, Cyanide and some others in solution..