Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Acetic acid to Oxalic Acid

DalisAndy - 29-8-2015 at 11:01

I was wondering what the reduction of acetic acid to oxalic acid formula would be. I can't figure it out nor can I find an answer on google

DraconicAcid - 29-8-2015 at 12:12

It would be an oxidation, for one thing. I'm not sure if it's a feasible reaction, but it can be easily balanced using the half-reaction method and your choice of oxidizing agent.

blogfast25 - 29-8-2015 at 12:26

Quote: Originally posted by DalisAndy  
I was wondering what the reduction of acetic acid to oxalic acid formula would be. I can't figure it out nor can I find an answer on google

Writing a oxidation equation is nothing, for instance:

HOOC-CH3 + 2 H2O === > HOOC-COOH + 6 H<sup>+</sup> + 6 e<sup>-</sup>

Finding an oxidant that can do it is quite another.

Oxalic acid is very cheap and OTC in most places.

Waffles SS - 30-8-2015 at 07:52

I did this reaction by Aqua regia and got good yield of oxalic acid.

I tried to make Glyoxylic acid by this way but i was unsuccessful, it seems this is impossible to stop this oxidation at aldehyde step.

[Edited on 30-8-2015 by Waffles SS]

papaya - 30-8-2015 at 14:09

Aqua regia oxidizes acetic acid to oxalic, but not further to CO2 ? I can't believe, do you have any more details/references on it?

blogfast25 - 30-8-2015 at 14:15

Common white sugar (sucrose) can be oxidised to oxalic acid with nitric acid. There's a thread on it somewhere on this forum.

Waffles SS - 30-8-2015 at 21:13

Quote: Originally posted by papaya  
Aqua regia oxidizes acetic acid to oxalic, but not further to CO2 ? I can't believe, do you have any more details/references on it?

No future oxidation occur.

I used same procedure for making Glyoxylic acid from Glyoxal but i used Acetic acid instead of Glyoxal.

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=14301

files.php.jpg - 351kB

[Edited on 31-8-2015 by Waffles SS]