Sciencemadness Discussion Board

When Chemistry Goes Wrong

Pages:  1  2    4

Melgar - 9-11-2017 at 21:09

Quote: Originally posted by TheNerdyFarmer  
Yesterday I decided to generate some ammonia gas for a separate project of mine. I had the whole gas generating setup built and so I mixed the reactants and started gas generation. By the way I was making ammonia via ammonium halide salt + alkali metal hydroxide. Any way, the reaction started and a lot of gas was coming off. There was also a good deal of moisture coming with it. Little did I notice that some (a great deal) of ammonia gas was leaking from the tubing that I used to make the gas generating setup. Before I realized what was happening I lifted the sash of the fumehood up and got a huge whiff of ammonia gas. I had forgotten to turn my fume hood on. I quickly turned it on and ran to the other side of the lab. I walked over to the hood every few seconds and within 2 minutes there was no detection of ammonia gas.
This wasn't a super dangerous situation but it did give me somewhat of a scare considering that ammonia isnt the greatest stuff to inhale.

[Edited on 6-11-2017 by TheNerdyFarmer]

I kind of like the smell of ammonia, because I've come to associate it with neutralization of HCl vapors. I did this one halogenation reaction a lot that necessitated generating chlorine gas, and produced HCl gas. Both gases escaped from time to time, and opening my ammonia jug and squeezing it repeatedly to get the vapors to diffuse would allow me to see where the bad vapors were coming from and stop them. It reacts with Cl2 and HCl in midair to generate salts, which are visible like smoke.

Incidentally, if you want to generate anhydrous ammonia gas cheaply, the most effective way I know of is heating urea to about 200C. It's super easy to control; you just turn the heat up or down. It leaves cyanuric acid residue, which you can use to make cyanates or any number of things. It's hard to clean out of stuff, but will form isocyanuric gas at higher temperatures.

NedsHead - 9-11-2017 at 22:05

I managed to contaminate my nitre bluing tank with copper and nickel ions, it's a small pot that I use for bluing tools, about 2 litres containing approximately 1 mole potassium nitrate and 1 mole potassium hydroxide, I could use some advise on how to go about removing these impurities.
Thanks

ninhydric1 - 9-11-2017 at 22:12

@NedsHead I would assume that the hydroxide ions from the KOH would precipitate the copper and nickel ions from solution. Maybe wait and see if any precipitate settles to the bottom of the bluing tank?

NedsHead - 9-11-2017 at 23:21

Thanks ninhydric1, I made a solution of the bluing salts and was able to filter off the precipitate, it looks to be mostly copper.

below is a picture of the failed part to be blued, it's the components to a vernier height gauge

DSC_0328.JPG - 2.7MB

violet sin - 10-11-2017 at 00:28

Could you attempt to plate out soluble metal ions with carbon electrodes and then filter or decent your solution. Set it aside long enough to get the pot clean? I can't say I have tried this, but I would think it might have a chance. Not sure if you want to use the pot as an electrode, cathodic protection or no. Graphite battery rods and a usb hookup 5v between them may just be easy enough to try for a few min, with little setup effort. If it works awesome, if not no huge loss.

I did a quick search on that bluing, it had water in the mix, ie. per gallon directions. Yours is the same ya? Or just salts melted when needed for dipping? Pretty sure I have seen hot dipping that included no water, on you tube. That would be less fun, and possibly a poor memory so incorrect.

TheNerdyFarmer - 10-11-2017 at 05:55

Quote: Originally posted by Melgar  
Yesterday I decided to generate some ammonia gas for a separate project of mine. I had the whole gas generating setup built and so I mixed the reactants and started gas generation. By the way I was making ammonia via ammonium halide salt + alkali metal hydroxide. Any way, the reaction started and a lot of gas was coming off. There was also a good deal of moisture coming with it. Little did I notice that some (a great deal) of ammonia gas was leaking from the tubing that I used to make the gas generating setup. Before I realized what was happening I lifted the sash of the fumehood up and got a huge whiff of ammonia gas. I had forgotten to turn my fume hood on. I quickly turned it on and ran to the other side of the lab. I walked over to the hood every few seconds and within 2 minutes there was no detection of ammonia gas.
This wasn't a super dangerous situation but it did give me somewhat of a scare considering that ammonia isnt the greatest stuff to inhale.

[Edited on 6-11-2017 by TheNerdyFarmer]

I kind of like the smell of ammonia, because I've come to associate it with neutralization of HCl vapors. I did this one halogenation reaction a lot that necessitated generating chlorine gas, and produced HCl gas. Both gases escaped from time to time, and opening my ammonia jug and squeezing it repeatedly to get the vapors to diffuse would allow me to see where the bad vapors were coming from and stop them. It reacts with Cl2 and HCl in midair to generate salts, which are visible like smoke.

This is clever. I have never thought of using ammonia to detect HCl. I will certainly try this in the future. Thanks for the tip!

Incidentally, if you want to generate anhydrous ammonia gas cheaply, the most effective way I know of is heating urea to about 200C. It's super easy to control; you just turn the heat up or down. It leaves cyanuric acid residue, which you can use to make cyanates or any number of things. It's hard to clean out of stuff, but will form isocyanuric gas at higher temperatures.

I will definitely try this method next. It seems cheap and does not generate a ton a moisture like the other reaction did.

Using ammonia to detect HCl is pretty clever. I don't know why i have never thought of using ammonia to detect HCl before. I will certainly try this in the future. Thanks for the tip!

[Edited on 10-11-2017 by TheNerdyFarmer]

Melgar - 10-11-2017 at 10:17

I will definitely try this method next. It seems cheap and does not generate a ton a moisture like the other reaction did.

When I first did this reaction, it was for the purpose of generating potassium cyanate by heating a mixture of potassium carbonate and urea. This reaction was generating enormous volumes of gas, to the point where I had to move everything out of the shop. It just kept going, and going, and going. Granted, it would have been both CO2 and NH3, but in either case, you'd be getting one gas molecule for each parent molecule. It was annoying at the time, but then I remembered that reaction at one point later when I actually did need to generate NH3 gas, and used that instead of the typical "ammonium salt plus a strong base" method. Far superior, in my opinion, and it's much easier to get full conversion without adding undesired water to the mixture. You may need to use a dryer tube or something, because I don't think urea is typically anhydrous, (I could be wrong though) but there won't be nearly as much water as the way you were doing it.

Using ammonia to detect HCl is pretty clever. I don't know why i have never thought of using ammonia to detect HCl before. I will certainly try this in the future. Thanks for the tip!

Note that the resulting salt clouds will set off smoke detectors, and leave white film on glass. But it sure is better than the rust patina that results from escaped HCl and Cl2 gases. Obviously, you can also use HCl vapors to track NH3 vapors. For either one, I have squeeze bottles of HCl and NH3 solutions, and I just squeeze the air out of them repeatedly to generate small amounts of vapor when I need it.

There should be a "Tips learned through experience" thread. I'm actually surprised there isn't one.

Geocachmaster - 17-11-2017 at 15:38

Every time I've made an ester I've had low yields, usually in the 50-60% range. Recently I was making diethyl phthalate, and I was determined to get a high yield. I used a large excess of dry ethanol and 3A molecular sieves in a soxhlet, after distilling off the extra ethanol all traces of water had essentially been eliminated. I mixed the residue with water to wash out EtOH and H2SO4, which left a dense oily liquid with a volume of a little more than a quantitative yield. Next I washed with NaHCO3 solution. The first three or four times shaking built up pressure but not too much. Then I shook the sep funnel again, but this time it built up a lot of pressure. Enough to push out the stopper (which I was holding firmly in place) and allow much of my product to be sprayed out onto the bench :(

Looks like another low yielding Fisher Esterification...

Hmmm I don't think high boiling liquid will be easy to clean from wood.

LearnedAmateur - 17-11-2017 at 15:59

One day in the school lab, we were preparing methyl salicylate as an intro to esterification. Dissolve salicylic acid in methanol, add a few drops of conc. H2SO4, reflux for 10 minutes, then smell - definitely the expected Deep Heat odour. Following the procedure, which for us seemed to fail more than succeed, we all dumped in some cold water. Out came the salicylic acid faster than it had formed, still smelling of the ester so that threw off most of my classmates but I had done my homework before and figured it wasn't the product we had hoped for since it was a solid and not the liquid that melts at -8C.

Moral of the story, keep water well away from esters that are in contact with an acid!

Geocachmaster - 17-11-2017 at 16:19

Hydrolysis isn't very fast at room temperature. Otherwise you wouldn't have to reflux the mixture to reach equilibrium. 10 minutes was much too short, did the procedure actually call for that? I would relfux for a least an hour, for example I let my diethyl phthalate go for two hours.

LearnedAmateur - 17-11-2017 at 17:57

We're only talking small scale here, I don't have my lab book anymore but I believe we used about 2g of SA and around 20mL of methanol. The procedures, which were ironically designed for education, had some pretty glaring errors and were commonly inaccurate - this particular one actually suggested that the methyl salicylate was a solid product and to use a melting point apparatus to determine purity. Had to follow them fairly closely, they're designed to be conducted within an hour lesson and that includes a preliminary assessment, setting up the apparatus, carrying out the procedure, and work up which explains why times were so short. Otherwise I certainly would've refluxed for longer, I'm guessing a lot of what dropped out was just dissolved in the methanol but the ester was almost overpowering, tingled the nose a little and this was reduced to a faint scent after water was added.

Fulmen - 18-11-2017 at 00:53

Nedshead: Leaving some scrap steel in the solution should plate out any dissolved Cu/Ni. From the pic it looks like this is what happened to your part.
Is the bath aqueous (caustic black) or molten salt? I use two parts by weight of NaOH and one part Na/KNO3, adjusted to a BP of appr 135°C. Some recipes call for nitrites, but it works fine without. Besides nitrites should form in situ as the iron is oxidized.

Rhodanide - 20-11-2017 at 06:09

Yesterday: Combined Pb metal and Glacial Acetic acid in a beaker. Added concentrated Peroxide. Stirred mixture. Nothing happened. Added all of the concentrated Peroxide. Mixture began to boil. Panic set in. Ran outside, carrying the boiling mixture in the beaker. Hastily decanted the liquid into another container. Got a face-full of Acetic acid vapor. Gave up on Chemistry for the day and went to get a cold one.

Fin.

NedsHead - 21-11-2017 at 00:23

Hey VS, I'll dilute some and run a test to try plate it out with carbon electrodes as suggested, Thanks.

The formula I use does call for water but I got tired of controlling the evaporation so just let it become a block of solid salts and used it that way.

DSC_0331.JPG - 3.5MB

WangleSpong5000 - 30-11-2017 at 05:16

Decided to make some chloroform and as I am without a fumehood (next thing on the list) I thought I'd place the bleach bottle containing the reactants in my tiny bathroom area as it's the only place in my tiny shoebox of a living space with some sort of extraction fan, plus I could place the bottle in the shower area and close the glass shower door to further contain the chloroform fumes.

Of course if I wasn't a complete moron I would have put the bleach bottle and the ice-bath it snugly lived in fucking outside possibly? But no, in the bathroom is fine...

Realize well after the reaction is underway that I made a stupid stoichiometric error failing to use not nearly enough bleach. Figuring I may aswell start tomorrow with a brand new bottle of bleach I decide to decant off the top layer of solution in the bottle and dispose of whatever chloroform and unreacted acetone remains in the bottom layer.

Proceed to clumsily spill the shit everywhere mostly managing to contain the spill to the shower area. Fucking fruity smelling chloroform fumes fill the tiny shower cubicle which in my eternal wisdom is closed which would be fine if I wasn't inside the fucking thing... bleach and chloroform all over my hands, the floor and now thanks to the fumes, my face.

Cop enough of the stuff to make spin me out more than just a bit which makes cleaning the stuff rather difficult and greatly reduces my brains ability to realize I should probably get the fuck out of the bathroom. Clean it all up, half-assedly rinse out the bottle and put it under my sink with the lid off to lightly gas that area while I'm asleep...

Go to sleep. Wake up feeling GRIM AS FUCK. Smelt good though... like pine-lime ice blocks! Yum!

[Edited on 30-11-2017 by WangleSpong5000]

[Edited on 30-11-2017 by WangleSpong5000]

Sandman3232 - 30-11-2017 at 16:07

Quote: Originally posted by BromicAcid  
My early mistakes can be found here:

http://bromicacid.com/mistakes.htm

For those just looking for the high-points here is a list of the titles:

Neutralization of Sulfuric Acid
Acetone Peroxide
H2SO4 / HNO3
What's In a match head?
Silver Thermite
Phosphorus!
Caustic Nightmare
Chlorinated

The ammount of luck you have is amazing. Next time shit goes sideways go buy lottery tickets.;)

CharlieA - 30-11-2017 at 17:24

Having read postings on this thread over the last year or so, I propose that it be renamed "When amateur chemists go wrong!"

aga - 11-3-2018 at 13:41

More than 7 days into an extraction.

6 hours of painfully slow filtration of 1 litre of goop, halfway complete.

before.jpg - 40kB

A sudden episode of very high wind wiped it all out.

after.jpg - 42kB

Bugger.

Geocachmaster - 20-4-2018 at 18:21

Tonight I was distilling HCN (produced from ferrocyanide and acid) into alcoholic NaOH to produce sodium cyanide. I need about 2 grams so I did this on a five gram scale. 75% of the way through I forgot watch my trap and bleach/hydroxide solution was sucked into the receiving flask. :(
Note to self: always use inverted funnel trap. I didn't because I was lazy but now I'll just have to waste time tomorrow.

CobaltChloride - 2-5-2018 at 13:10

I tried to grow a crystal of copper sulfate pentahydrate by leaving a saturated solution of the salt out to evaporate with a seed crystal suspended in it. The beautiful crystal crumbled into an ugly light blue powder because the dry air was sucking water out of it. The air is so dry here that I also had some copper chloride dihydrate turn brown from becoming anhydrous.

j_sum1 - 2-11-2018 at 22:08

Tried my hand at magnesothermic reduction of sodium and subsequent separation from slag using dioxane.

Initial reaction went beautifully. I was left with a lovely dark mixture in the bottom of my tin. Many pieces had a soft-putty-like texture and when dropped in water revealed that they were mostly sodium. This plastic material was very difficult to scrape from the side of my tin.
I counted that part a success.

Purifying with dioxane however...
Well, for a start I had doubts about the quality of my dioxane. Now I have even more doubts. It should not be a difficult synth from antifreeze but mine had discoloured very rapidly.

When I added it to the flask of sodium+slag, there was quite a vigorous reaction. My first thought was that the dioxane was not fully dry.
Distilling as per Nurdrage's method... I ended up with a dun-coloured ash material with what seemed to be chunks of carbon in it. There was no evidence of metallic sodium whatsoever. Apparently I killed it all.

Also my stirbar was nearly destroyed. A quarter of the PTFE was eaten away.

I am not sure what actually happened. But I think I need to make some new dioxane before attempting again.

Lovely to have a couple of hours in the lab though.

Ubya - 3-11-2018 at 04:09

sodium and concentrated sodium hydroxide can eat teflon

j_sum1 - 3-11-2018 at 04:20

Quote: Originally posted by Ubya  
sodium and concentrated sodium hydroxide can eat teflon

And so it did. I just wasn't expecting it at 90C.

And I need to revisit my notes to figure out what went wrong with the dioxane. Cos it sure didn't behave as it ought to.

CobaltChloride - 3-11-2018 at 09:46

Wait, even concentrated NaOH eats PTFE? AFAIK, only molten very reactive metals (like sodium) react with PTFE to make metal fluorides, while strong bases do not.

DavidJR - 3-11-2018 at 10:58

Quote: Originally posted by CobaltChloride  
Wait, even concentrated NaOH eats PTFE? AFAIK, only molten very reactive metals (like sodium) react with PTFE to make metal fluorides, while strong bases do not.

As far as I can tell you are correct. It seems a lot of people saw Nurdrage's sodium videos and made the incorrect assumption that it was the basic conditions rather than sodium specifically.

Ubya - 3-11-2018 at 11:05

Quote: Originally posted by CobaltChloride  

my bad, don't know why i remember NaOH can corrode PTFE:o

DraconicAcid - 3-11-2018 at 14:11

I seem to recall reading that molten sodium hydroxide will attack teflon if it's wet. If it's perfectly dry it's fine.

Herr Haber - 4-11-2018 at 09:49

Teflon melting temp: 327°c
NaOH melting temp: 318°c

:P

DraconicAcid - 4-11-2018 at 11:18

Quote: Originally posted by Herr Haber  
Teflon melting temp: 327°c
NaOH melting temp: 318°c

:P

This a vague-ish memory from a paper I wrote on using molten salts as solvents. I might have been thinking of a eutectic of NaOH/KOH. Or I might be blithering- if I still had a digital copy, I wouldn't have a program that would read it.

DavidJR - 4-11-2018 at 11:22

Teflon isn't terribly stable at temperatures that high. Which is the main reason it's not feasible to use injection moulding of PTFE.

kulep - 5-11-2018 at 10:24

I've heard that molten lava might attack some strands of wild teflon, but I'm not sure I can trust those sources

DrP - 7-11-2018 at 03:11

Quote: Originally posted by kulep  
I've heard that molten lava might attack some strands of wild teflon, but I'm not sure I can trust those sources

lol - yea - molten lava 'attacks' most things I think.

DrP - 13-11-2018 at 06:56

Quote: Originally posted by kulep  
I've heard that molten lava might attack some strands of wild teflon

I had to look that up as it goes... I found nothing. What is 'wild' Teflon? Are there cases of PTFE being found in nature then? I was not aware and can find nothing about it.

The jersey rebel - 16-11-2018 at 13:51

when I ran a lab years ago, I ended up running into all sorts of problems with stuff unexpectedly blowing up, shattering, or just nearly gassing the house with chlorine after an earthquake knocked over my HCl, which was the first time my lab was raided! Lucky I knew the police because otherwise, things would've ended very differently, and chances are I would've never made a post again.

First point I think is very important to say, if you're on a budget, for the love of all that's good, don't work anywhere near old tools. acid fumes can make the lead paint into a form which will go right through skin. That's exactly what happened to me in an old post I made where I showed my nails, which in fact did have Mee's lines on them. I had a sample sent to a toxicology lab at the request of my doctor and it gave a strong positive for lead and a weak positive for arsenic.

As for what I was working with at the time, don't ask. I still have very deep regrets over my old lab despite having no involvement in drugs or any significant quantity of explosives. Got into a ton of trouble over that thing. Still has a very strong negative effect over my family dynamics and mental state to this day even though I've not even been near a bottle of acid in well over 2 years, let alone a home lab.

My lesson to all of those who are reading this, please don't use home chemistry as a means of coping with a mental disorder. I wasn't in the right state of mind and although my lab worked to get me through school, it also destroyed me in the process, shattering most of my passion for everything and taking away any amount of joy I had in life.

One reason I am online as much as i am under the jersey rebel and roguemillenial is to prevent others from suffering the same fate as me. It's one of the few things that makes me feel as if I've contributed anything to any scientific field :(

Plastic keck clips, understand fire extinguishers

JScott - 19-11-2018 at 06:06

During a nitric acid synthesis the plastic keck clip holding my condenser to the clausin adapter cracked. New hot nitric acid dripped into the mineral oil the boiling flask was submerged in and instant fire.

The fire extinguisher was right at hand and the blaze was out in less than ten seconds.

There was 900 ml of 95% sulfuric acid in the now cracked boiling flask along with the nitrate (potassium as I recall). The hot acid and oil fumed for more than ten minutes. The fume hood exhaust roared a bit (jet sound) and this filled my neighborhood with a dense white cloud. I was very pleased this didn't bring a visit from the local constabulary.

Two take aways... Plastic Keck clips, never again! Ten pound fire extinguisher... much more mess than the fire! Clean up took more than a day. I am also very careful choosing heat sources and try to avoid oils when possible.

I now use metal clips and have small 32oz sized extinguisher along with a larger ten pounder. In the case of this fire, as impressive as it was, the smaller extinguisher would have worked fine and cut clean up in half. I only used one small blast of the that larger extinguisher and it had to be replaced (refilling them is a hit or miss proposition in my burg).

If you haven't used a fire extinguisher, it would be helpful to at least watch a video of the one you purchased being used (or one much like it). I was very surprised at the volume of material ejected with a small squeeze of the trigger, and the force it came out with is worth considering. This will blow stuff around in most small fume hoods, easily blew my distillation setup half off the hot plate.

Deathunter88 - 19-11-2018 at 09:23

Quote: Originally posted by JScott  
During a nitric acid synthesis the plastic keck clip holding my condenser to the clausin adapter cracked. New hot nitric acid dripped into the mineral oil the boiling flask was submerged in and instant fire.

The fire extinguisher was right at hand and the blaze was out in less than ten seconds.

There was 900 ml of 95% sulfuric acid in the now cracked boiling flask along with the nitrate (potassium as I recall). The hot acid and oil fumed for more than ten minutes. The fume hood exhaust roared a bit (jet sound) and this filled my neighborhood with a dense white cloud. I was very pleased this didn't bring a visit from the local constabulary.

Two take aways... Plastic Keck clips, never again! Ten pound fire extinguisher... much more mess than the fire! Clean up took more than a day. I am also very careful choosing heat sources and try to avoid oils when possible.

I now use metal clips and have small 32oz sized extinguisher along with a larger ten pounder. In the case of this fire, as impressive as it was, the smaller extinguisher would have worked fine and cut clean up in half. I only used one small blast of the that larger extinguisher and it had to be replaced (refilling them is a hit or miss proposition in my burg).

If you haven't used a fire extinguisher, it would be helpful to at least watch a video of the one you purchased being used (or one much like it). I was very surprised at the volume of material ejected with a small squeeze of the trigger, and the force it came out with is worth considering. This will blow stuff around in most small fume hoods, easily blew my distillation setup half off the hot plate.

Get yourself a CO2 fire extinguisher, zero residue and you almost WANT to find a reason to use it.

JJay - 20-11-2018 at 17:35

Today I generated several moles of nitrogen dioxide in a few minutes in a tiny makeshift fume hood. That was definitely not a very good idea. As I stared amazed at the huge blob of brown gas sitting inside the fume hood, I decided to adjust the intake to pull out more of the gas more easily. So I flipped the front cover open.

When your fume hood is full of nitrogen dioxide gas, do not open it.

I backed away from the horrible choking mess with my eyes burning, barely able to breathe, and the hood sealed itself. Eventually, it cleared.

[Edited on 21-11-2018 by JJay]

XeonTheMGPony - 20-11-2018 at 18:01

Quote: Originally posted by Deathunter88  
Quote: Originally posted by JScott  

Get yourself a CO2 fire extinguisher, zero residue and you almost WANT to find a reason to use it.

I use Halon / CO2

Halon 3.jpg - 235kB

JScott - 21-12-2018 at 16:22

A very good idea!

j_sum1 - 7-1-2019 at 06:15

I don't think I am very good at making dioxane.

I had a whole string of mishaps tonight. Some amusing.
As I indicated, I think there is something seriously wrong with the dioxane I synthesised from antifreeze. It reacts with NaOH to form a tarry substance. It boils too low. And it reacts with sodium. I think it is more than just a bit of water in it. But anyway I had a small amount that I had redistilled and thought I might try my luck at isolating some Na from Mg/NaOH thermite. Fun times.

1. I used a cast iron pot with lid for the thermite. Part of the product was a very fine powder clinging to the lid. That was pyrophoric. Interesting, and not expected.

2. Dropping a few lumps of the mixture into a flask of so-called dioxane: about 25mL, there was a bit of fizzing of H2. Kind of expected since I suspected that fraction was not completely dry. Later, while tidying up a bit I stoppered the flask. All bubbling had stopped and I did not think much of it. Even later, I picked it up to move it somewhere else and the stopper flew 3 feet in the air and right across the bench. It singled out the one piece of glass at that end of the bench and smashed into tiny pieces. The only good news is that particular item was already broken and I had gotten it out for photographing and measuring so that a replacement could be made.

3. I decided not to leave a container of pyrophoric sodium powder unattended in my lab overnight. After stirring it actually caught alight a second time. I took it outside to burn out. That looked pretty. I then decided to douse it with water from a distance of several metres. Some nice fireworks. That was actually pretty cool.

Ultimately I have nothing to show from a mole of Na and several hours of dioxane preparation. Not unless you count a shattered stopper for an antique iodine flask.

Σldritch - 7-1-2019 at 09:46

In my experience PTFE reacts with Sodium Hydroxide at dull red heat to form Sodium Fluoride, Sodium Carbonate and formaldehyde which instantly burns. This was tape on molten hydroxide so maybe the leidenfrost effect increased the effective reaction temperature.

Felab - 7-1-2019 at 13:59

Sometime ago I was recrystalizing some AgNO3 and I allowed it to cool on the fridge. Someone opened the door and an extremely corrosive AgNO3 solution spilled all over the place, staining the fridge, the dishwasher, my grandma and me.

Lesson: be aware that other people exist.

The good thing was that I discovered a non-toxic remedy for AgNO3 stains.

hissingnoise - 8-1-2019 at 08:26

Quote:

You did?

Pray tell...

morganbw - 8-1-2019 at 10:37

Quote: Originally posted by hissingnoise  
Quote:

You did?

Pray tell...

@Felab, so you know how to remove the stains from my skin?????

Felab - 15-1-2019 at 06:01

Quote: Originally posted by morganbw  
Quote: Originally posted by hissingnoise  
Quote:

You did?

Pray tell...

@Felab, so you know how to remove the stains from my skin?????

You take some steel wool (the one that is used for polishing wood, not for washing dishes) and soak it in 3% H2O2. Toothpaste can be mixed with the H2O2 for better consistency. The thing will warm up and fizz. You rub it on your hands for a good while and your stains will be gone or much lighter than they where. If the steel wool starts cooling down and your stains aren't gone, soak it in fresh H2O2/toothpaste solution. It is what I usualy do when I get stained.

[Edited on 15-1-2019 by Felab]

Blarglesworth - 10-2-2019 at 08:06

I dip a cloth in a strong thiosulfate solution and rub. It takes some effort to get the stains off, since they are elemental silver, but the silver chloride complexes with the thiosulfate and dissolves. If you get AgNO3 on your skin, do this before the resulting AgCl has a chance to see much light - you can prevent stains from happening in the first place.

To get the stains off quickly but non-safely, you can apply a little nitric acid directly to your skin and then wash it off within a few seconds, before a burn forms. But the thiosulfate is recommended. ;)

The Formation of Explosive Diurea From Potassium Iodide And Permanganate

Vomaturge - 16-2-2019 at 20:48

So, as I've mentioned before, I use a Thames and Kosmos C3000 chemistry set as part of an educational program. Yesterday, I tried experiment #134, producing a solution of iodine in denatured alcohol. Everything was set up according to these instructions:

P_20190216_185604-640x360.jpg - 67kB

Note: 'spoonful', 'small spoonful', and 'permanganate mixture' mean .3 to .5 ml of dry powder, at most .1ml dry powder, and a mix of 1 part KMnO4 to 2 of Na2SO4, respectively.

Before the flame was even applied, the solution of KMnO4 and KI started to turn dark green and opaque, suggesting the formation of manganate. On heating, the mix boiled and became even darker. A lot of water condensed in the angled tube, and fell into the denatured alcohol. A few dry particles of permanganate were wetted creating purple droplets in the heated test tube, but the promised purble iodine vapors didn't appear.

Well, I thought, there was a reaction, so there has to be elemental iodine in the mixture. If I can just boil all the water off, it will get hot enough to make it evaporate. When most of the water was boiled off, it bumped forcefully. Most of the thick brown goop (a lab partner described it as "shitty") stuck to the sides of the test tube, and a drop made it into the angled tube. I stupidly decided to start dry distilling what was left at the bottom. No purple vapors were visible. At this point I lifted the angled tube out of the alcohol test tube , and put the reaction tube upright, to make the paste fall back to the bottom.When it fell, thermal shock cracked the test tube, although it wasn't visible until I was trying to clean out the tube. Heating the paste at the bottom of the tube did nothing as far as creating iodine. Also, while I was cleaning the reaction products (manganese hydroxides?) out of the tube, the cracked bottom fell off. In over 100 experiments, this was the first piece of glassware from the kit to break. I guess it's 'idiot resistant', not idiot proof:D

The next experiment involved KI in a divided electrochemical cell. Two cups were connected, as per rhe instructions, with a wide strip of paper towel. With the specified power source (9v) the current was about 200μA, and no visible iodine formed. I decided to just put both electrodes in one compartment, and when some iodine formed near the anode I pulled it out, and rinsed it in the other cup. Soon I had the other cup full of a weak iodine solution, much better than anything from the high resistance divided cell, or the permanganate experiment.

Just before writing this long winded story, I looked in the chem. set booklet again and found this:

P_20190216_185621-640x360.jpg - 42kB

Note that next to the drawing it also says to use sodium hydrogen sulphate, not just water, potassium iodide, and potassium permanganate. The written instructions said nothing about this crucial addition. But even if I had seen this before, it doesn't say how much to add, anywhere.

TL;DR I tried an experiment (demonstration, actually) from a chemistry set, the write-up had an error, and instead of making iodine solution, it made a slimy brown mess (see title) and a broken test tube.

The kit has proven to be full of reasonable quality equipment and interesting and informative reactions, but I may write for them to correct this error.

[Edited on 17-2-2019 by Vomaturge]

j_sum1 - 17-8-2019 at 18:59

One of those, "what the hell was that" moments.

Some time ago I picked up my container of barium chloride (original packaging) to find a small crack in the bottom and a spill of white powder. Obviously a need to transfer to a new container. I swept up the spill to dispose of it properly. It was probably less than a gram in total, but I like playing cautiously with barium compounds. My standard procedure for these kind of things it to convert it to an insoluble form and mix it with cement and sand to form a cement block that I can dispose of as solid waste. So I mixed up some magnesium sulfate solution and added it to the beaker containing the swept material.

And left it there. For several months.

Or so I thought.

Today I needed a clean beaker, which meant that a clean-up was overdue. I proceeded to add sand and cement to what I thought was this offending barium waste to make my concrete block. After addition of water I was greeted with the unmistakable waft of hydrogen sulfide and considerable bubbling.

I think I must have cleaned up the barium earlier. But what the hell was in that beaker that would cause H2S on the addition of cement?

Sulaiman - 17-8-2019 at 21:47

I do not know what was in the beaker but the incident is a reminder to
HAVE A LAB NOTEBOOK AND KEEP IT UP TO DATE :P

S.C. Wack - 18-8-2019 at 08:30

The first question is what is your BaCl2 really and how much did you pay for it. I've mentioned getting a big surprise from some cheap BaCO3. Both of these are made from BaS obtained by reduction of barite.

The second question is why "BB Code is Off" in this thread?

[Edited on 18-8-2019 by S.C. Wack]

Godrick VanHess - 29-9-2019 at 18:14

Wasn't really chemistry, but I was condensing lead scraps by making ingots when I dropped a wet piece of lead in the pot. Needless to say I looked like the tin man for a while. Didn't hurt as bad as you would imagine, though I can't recommend this method for putting on weight.

woelen - 9-1-2020 at 12:02

This evening I had a really unpleasant experience. I ordered 500 ml of 99.5% pure butyric acid. I received the acid in a plastic bottle (HDPE). When unpacking the parcel, I noticed that this bottle is very smelly. I decided to move the acid to a glass bottle and discard the plastic bottle. I put the glass bottle in the sink in my lab and carefully poured the acid in the glass bottle. I, however, by accident poured a ml (at most!) along the outside of the glass bottle. I continued pouring the rest of the acid in the glass bottle. There was an awful smell, but the acid is not nearly as pungent as acetic acid, so I decided to continue. Afterward, I took a paper tissue and wiped the sink and the outside of the bottle and dumped the paper and the plastic bottle in a bin, outside. The sink I rinsed with lots of water and flushed with dilute ammonia afterwards.

But now I am smelling of vomit all over my body, especially my hands have a strong smell of vomit. It is a few hours ago, and I still have a strong smell on my hands. I already changed clothes and I think that the rest of my body now is free of odour, but my hands have a REALLY horrible smell. You can smell them from half a meter distance! I already washed my hands with soap and water and even washed them in 0.5% ammonia and rinsing them with a lot of water afterwards. Nothing helps.

I have no other adverse effects (butyric acid is not particularly toxic and as long as you don't touch the pure or concentrated liquid it also is fairly benign to skin and clothes), but the smell is really awful. The vapor of this clings to fabric and skin.

I am afraid that this purchase is not the best one I did. I can even smell it through the cap on the glass bottle (or do I now have the smell in my nose as well???). I now am very reluctant to open that bottle again for experiments (I intended to use this acid for ester experiments). I knew of the bad smell, but it is MUCH worse than I ever could imagine. I hope that the smell will have gone tomorrow morning when I need to go to work again.

DavidJR - 9-1-2020 at 12:50

I have a 250ml bottle of butyric anhydride. I got it back when I could order from Sigma - I seem to remember it being cheaper or about the same price as butyric acid itself, and obviously the anhydride is more versatile. Anyway, the smell of the anhydride is unpleasant but it is not very strong nor is it as bad as the acid. So if you spill a drop the smell gets worse before it gets better (as the anhydride hydrolyses).

Fery - 9-1-2020 at 13:14

Hi woelen, while I was studying university I usually had some side-jobs during summer holidays after finishing all exams before new academic year started. One of the jobs was in a distillery which also produced vinegar (by oxidative fermentation of diluted ethanol, 13 % vinegar from reactors was diluted to 8 % and then bottled). My skin and hair were always soaked with smell of acetic acid for at least half a day, nothing helped like washing etc, nothing, just waiting... The distillery processed molasses into spirit, citric acid, vinegar (from ethanol) and whoever knows what else too (yeah plastic bottle from granulate were made too in one building and sent via tube transport system into vinegar building). Oh yes, the distillery produced also some yeast, with terrible smell too...
I have 3x 1 L bottles of butyric acid right now in stock and luckily all in glass bottles, but the first one came in plastic so I transferred it into glass. The plastic bottle did not yet lose its scent after already few months. The same with pentanoic (valeric) acid which came in 1 L plastic bottle. Hexanoic acid came in 1 L glass bottle and from another buy 3 small plastic bottles of 35 mL (I let it them in plastic though, it was not worth to transfer such small volumes into glass).
The valeric and butyric acids were not only in plastic bottle, but the bottles were also in thick evacuated well sealed plastic bags. The empty spaces in carton box were filled with foam foil, the foil is still smelling like vomits after few months till today and the strength seems to be the same.
But the human skin regenerates (unlike plastics) so you'll be OK soon (vinegar disappeared after half a day, butyric acid very likely slightly slowlier due to higher b.p. and better solubility in lipids of skin).
It won't last longer than for 1 month certainly :D :D :D which is usual time of the whole epidermis regeneration/renewal (3 days in psoriasis vulgaris lesions of skin). Depends on how deep did it enter your skin.
Surprisingly the concentrated smell of C4-C6 aliphatic monocarboxylic acids was not so terrible for me (I sniffed directly opened bottles and OK, not using only flapping hand as is necessary for concentrated solution of ammonia in water, directly the bottle, and it was not so bad as I expected), but the worse is diluted smell at very low concentrations. Perhaps the high concentrations benumbed my sense temporarily and thus I'm saying concentrated smell of C4-C6 aliphatic monocarboxylic acids is less terrible than diluted?

woelen - 9-1-2020 at 13:33

I have the same experience with dilute smell. When I was pouring the acid, the smell was strong, but not as unpleasant as later on. The biggest problem is that I do not get used to the smell. I remain actively aware of the presence of the smell all the time.

Armstrong's Mixture

MadHatter - 9-1-2020 at 14:23

Like woelen I didn't realize the sensitivity
of that mixture until it blew up in my face.
No real serious injury. Also no eyebrows
for quite some time.

tetraiodide - 9-1-2020 at 22:34

At one point I was doing a sodium cyanide synth from cyanuric acid. This requires a hot melt to get the reaction to progress, or so I understood at the time. Thinking the reaction wouldn't start until the reactants started melting I premixed the dry powders before moving them into my lab area where I was prepared to handle the reaction. While getting other parts ready I thought I heard a faint hissing noise and realized it came from the reaction mix. The reaction was exothermic and the contract of the grains of powder provided enough surface area to start heating and melting the reactants on its own and it was a mad dash with a stock pot to get it to a safe place to handle it

woelen - 13-1-2020 at 00:06

Quote: Originally posted by woelen  
I have the same experience with dilute smell. When I was pouring the acid, the smell was strong, but not as unpleasant as later on. The biggest problem is that I do not get used to the smell. I remain actively aware of the presence of the smell all the time.

The smell of the butyric acid lingered for more than 24 hours, but now it is gone.
The next day, I showered and this led to removal of the smell from my hands, but in the course of an hour or so, the smell returned, albeit vaguely. Apparently there still was some in my skin, which again slowly evaporated. Another day later the smell was gone completely.

DavidJR - 13-1-2020 at 00:21

I wonder how butanal compares.... I've got some on order now.
 Pages:  1  2    4