Sciencemadness Discussion Board

heptane in Oz ?

ahill - 2-12-2015 at 14:54

Anyone know where I can get some heptane ?

I could use a liter or two.

..I'd be pretty happy to trade it for methanol :)

Cheers.

careysub - 2-12-2015 at 15:30

Quote: Originally posted by ahill  
Anyone know where I can get some heptane ?

I could use a liter or two.

..I'd be pretty happy to trade it for methanol :)

Cheers.

Although this Aussie site says it is "out of stock", it does list Bestine (which is 100% heptane):
http://www.fishpond.com.au/Arts_Crafts/Bestine-Solvent-and-T...

diddi - 2-12-2015 at 18:23

I can get from a bulk OTC source

but no thanks to methanol. got enough for now

[Edited on 3-12-2015 by diddi]

Volanschemia - 2-12-2015 at 18:57

You can distill it from lighter fluid, which is about 50/50 Diethyl Ether/Heptane.

Amos - 2-12-2015 at 22:13

Quote: Originally posted by TheAustralianScientist  
You can distill it from lighter fluid, which is about 50/50 Diethyl Ether/Heptane.

I think you mean starter fluid; lighter fluid is usually petroleum distillates.

starman - 2-12-2015 at 22:53

Quote: Originally posted by Amos  

I think you mean starter fluid; lighter fluid is usually petroleum distillates.[/rquote
Yep you don't want that fella to light your smoke.

Tdep - 2-12-2015 at 23:27

Yo homie you got any specific brands that you know contain this? Give one of those sweet bunnings link bro thank

ahill - 4-12-2015 at 00:26

Quote:
I think you mean starter fluid; lighter fluid is usually petroleum distillates.

Normally I'm right up for a bit of home-hardware distillation (often aquiring the reagents/solvents is so much more rewarding than the actual procedure I want them for), but for now, I'd really just rather order some and have it turn up at my door. (I think I might have burned myself out distilling DCM out of paint stripper last month)

Not sure what the cost per liter via the starter fluid route is, but I suspect LR grade from a posh lab supplier would be cheaper. (and lets face it, prolly a lot cleaner!)

ave369 - 7-12-2015 at 08:43

There are different brands of starter fluids, with different hydrocarbons. Some might have methylcyclohexane. The amount of ether also varies: today I distilled only 50 ml of Et2O from a can of starter fluid. This, of course, may have to do with the fact that I emptied the bottle by spraying and lost a lot of ether.