Sciencemadness Discussion Board

How to fix this HST hotplate/stirrir

100PercentChemistry - 15-4-2016 at 11:52

About 7 months ago I got this hotplate http://www.hometrainingtools.com/lab-hot-plate-with-magnetic... It worked fine until yesterday. All the lights went on and the stirring worked but nothing was heating up. Any ideas on how to fix it?

hissingnoise - 15-4-2016 at 12:03

A blown element, most likely . . . or possibly a loose conn. ─ shouldn't be that difficult to fix!

I got a 404 on the link . . .

ParadoxChem126 - 15-4-2016 at 12:05

I had this problem a few years ago. The issue with mine was that the heating control potentiometer had broken internally. That being said, I cannot promise that this will be the same problem for you.

I ended up returning it, and they sent me a new one even after a year of use. At the time, they had a two year warranty on the item, I do not know if this is still the case.

edit: Like hissingnoise said, it is likely an easy repair. But if you still have the warranty available, it may be a good excuse to get a brand new machine.

[Edited on 4-15-2016 by ParadoxChem126]

100PercentChemistry - 15-4-2016 at 13:24

Thanks! I still have a couple months before the warranty ends. I'll send it back.

To resend it do I fill out the return/ reorder form?

[Edited on 4-15-2016 by 100PercentChemistry]

The Volatile Chemist - 15-4-2016 at 15:33

Quote: Originally posted by 100PercentChemistry  
Thanks! I still have a couple months before the warranty ends. I'll send it back.

To resend it do I fill out the return/ reorder form?

[Edited on 4-15-2016 by 100PercentChemistry]

When I had a similar problem with HST, I called them. I'd suggest the same, the call center chick is nice ;)