Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Aluminum Trihalide

Cabalaba - 17-6-2016 at 04:31

Quick question, and sorry if I missed this in the the references: Would aluminum powder or foil work best to for an aluminum trihalide?

Richard3050 - 17-6-2016 at 09:30

Generally speaking using aluminum powder will allow you to complete the reaction more quickly. The issue is that using aluminum powder often causes the reaction to occur too violently. Therefore it depends on exactly how you are going about making your aluminum trihalide. I was making some aluminum trichloride by reaction of copper chloride from a previous experiment with regular aluminum foil. I found that the reaction was quite violent and very exothermic. In this case using aluminum powder would have been a mistake because the reaction would have been even more violent. Whatever method you plan on using to create your aluminum trihalide it will be important to test it on a smaller scale before you attempt it on a larger one.

ave369 - 17-6-2016 at 11:05

Depends on which halide you want. If you want iodide, powder is the best bet. If you want chloride or bromide, foil is the best bet. If you want fluoride... well, forget the fluoride, it's not worth the risk.

Cabalaba - 17-6-2016 at 12:12

Thanks