Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Elemental Sodium?? I WANT IT!!

HiSkooler - 20-10-2006 at 09:59

So, I'm new to this site, but it looks cool. Ummm, I'm taking Advanced Chemistry at my high school, but its mostly math and formulas, so I am looking to do some at-home experiments.

I've seen videos showing pure, elemental sodium reacting with water, and it looks wicked cool!

I'm wondering, does anyone know how I can get some sodium? I mean, I don't want to buy it, I want to make it, but I am limited to using household items that would not look suspicious in the hands of a teenager....:D

PLEASE help me out if you know anything...

Sergei_Eisenstein - 20-10-2006 at 10:13

Are you really taking a course of advanced chemistry?

Nicodem - 20-10-2006 at 10:15

OK, so you are new to this site, but has the thought of using the search engine before posting ever occurred to you?

PS: Doing something just because "it looks wicked cool" is considered kewlish and is not tolerated very well in this forum. Neither are such thread tittles.

Edit:
Sergei, he probably meant Advanced Chemistry in an USA school. That would explain it.

[Edited on 20-10-2006 by Nicodem]

Magpie - 20-10-2006 at 10:17

We have learned quite a lot about making sodium on this forum. Read the existing 11 pages on the subject by searching under "hot electrochemical sodium." It is not a trivial preparation amenable to kitchen chemistry, however.

evil_lurker - 20-10-2006 at 11:02

I haven't purchased any yet from these ppl, but think I have a source where I can get 6 pounds for around $250.

bereal511 - 23-10-2006 at 16:33

Uh oh, this isn't one of those over-enthusiastic requests just to do stupid things after watching a block of sodium being thrown into a pond is it? Hmm, I wonder though, since recently my old AP Chemistry teacher just showed her incoming class the sodium metal videos. It's true that high school "Advanced Chemistry" in USA creates many a kewlish students.

If I may ask on this forum, are you from California by any chance HiSkooler?

Waffles - 23-10-2006 at 17:04

Quote:
Originally posted by bereal511
Uh oh, this isn't one of those over-enthusiastic requests just to do stupid things after watching a block of sodium being thrown into a pond is it? Hmm, I wonder though, since recently my old AP Chemistry teacher just showed her incoming class the sodium metal videos. It's true that high school "Advanced Chemistry" in USA creates many a kewlish students.

If I may ask on this forum, are you from California by any chance HiSkooler?

It is precisely because I went to high school in California that I got involved with such shady characters as the regulars of this forum ;). I knew that I loved science, but our classes were so sterilized and neutered that I had no choice but to get the hands-on experience for myself. Although my teacher himself was way way cool, the buzzard lawyers that sit holding the puppet strings of school administrators and science departments in particular have the final word.

bereal511 - 23-10-2006 at 20:17

Haha, I'm not criticizing the California high school system; I'm a product of such as well. I was just curious because it's possible that I know HiSkooler.

vulture - 24-10-2006 at 12:11

There's enough info on this forum as how to make sodium. UTFSE.

Closed.