Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Extraction of ionic liquid

Bromine - 20-10-2006 at 10:56

I want to know, how I can extract EtNH3 Cl from aqueous solutinon. EtNH3Cl was made by neutralising ethylamine with hydrochloric acid.

woelen - 20-10-2006 at 11:00

This is not easy at all, because the compound is ionic. If it is the only compound in solution, then simply evaporating the water will do the trick, but I assume that it contains a lot of other stuff as well, from which you want to isolate.
I think you best can make the liquid basic again, so that you obtain free ethylamine, and use an organic solvent to extract that. Then bubble gaseous HCl through the solution in the solvent and the solid ethylamine will separate.

Bromine - 20-10-2006 at 12:40

thanks

Nicodem - 20-10-2006 at 13:42

Ethylamine hydrochloride is not a ionic liquid!
It is a crystalline solid with the melting point of 107-108°C (according to Sigma Aldrich).

On the other side, ethylamine nitrate is one of the first (or was it the very first?) ionic liquids discovered.

Woelen, extracting ethylamine from an aqueous phase is not really feasible since it is just as soluble in water as in most non polar solvents. The saturated water solution is 70%! You would need many, many extractions with dichloromethane or similar solvents to extract a useful portion from a diluted aqueous solution.

Edit:
Bromine, unless you explain what the impurities in that solution are, nobody can give you a simple answer. (there is no solution unless you know your solution:D)

[Edited on 20-10-2006 by Nicodem]