Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Should I use a ball mill for thermite?

Fidelmios - 12-10-2016 at 14:53

Hi all,

So I made up a large batch of Basic copper Carbonate from my waste containers form months of experiments. I threw the Basic in my oven and cooked until golden brown! Jokes aside, I heated the stuff until I formed 'mostly' copper I Oxide. From this Copper Oxide I plan to make thermite, and because of my dry method, it was really fluffy, and filled with "air pockets". I figure I can make a cheap ball mill for my aluminum foil, out of a large pop bottle, a dremel, and some marbles. My question is, is this necessary? I understand the finer the particle size, the better the reaction. Is the amount appreciable?

MrHomeScientist - 13-10-2016 at 06:38

Particle size is very important for thermite reactions - too large and it's difficult to get ignition or to sustain the reaction. I'm not sure a ball mill would work for metals though. Wouldn't it just deform the foil rather than pulverizing it? People have had some success with putting foil in a blender.

Also I'm sure you're aware, but copper thermite can actually be nearly explosive. Be careful with that one.

DFliyerz - 13-10-2016 at 09:21

A ball mill works excellently for aluminum powder from foil.

Fidelmios - 13-10-2016 at 13:31

Quote: Originally posted by MrHomeScientist  
Particle size is very important for thermite reactions - too large and it's difficult to get ignition or to sustain the reaction. I'm not sure a ball mill would work for metals though. Wouldn't it just deform the foil rather than pulverizing it? People have had some success with putting foil in a blender.

Also I'm sure you're aware, but copper thermite can actually be nearly explosive. Be careful with that one.

My God, the homescientist himself. I have a little food processor and I planned to just cut through my Aluminum foil, then try to powderize it with the mill.This is actually my first thermite reaction, I just happened to purchase a 10lb bag of Copper Sulfate that I want to finish working through to get a higher quality copper sulfate. Thanks for the tips!

On a side note, did you ever try crystallizing Chevreul's salt? If not I would love to make a video on trying to make a large crystal of Chevreul's Salt.

ficolas - 13-10-2016 at 14:30

Not exactly related to the question but... are you sure a dremel is suitable for a long operation like that, and somewhat heavy?
I once burned a dremel when cutting a thin sheet of metal, because of doing it for a long time :(

Fidelmios - 13-10-2016 at 14:55

Quote: Originally posted by ficolas  
Not exactly related to the question but... are you sure a dremel is suitable for a long operation like that, and somewhat heavy?
I once burned a dremel when cutting a thin sheet of metal, because of doing it for a long time :(

Honestly I doubt it, I've got a higher quality drill that I can use if needed. This is sort of a temporary setup/learning experience, as I currently know fuck all about electronics (See my PID thread for fun laughs). I know nothing of changing AC to DC, and ideally I want to do this on the cheap.

zed - 14-10-2016 at 13:21

Make a better Ball Mill. It isn't hard.

A small rock tumbler works well. Marbles probably wont cut it. Ball bearings pack a lot more ooomph, when they fall.

And, a modern pop bottle is probably too flimsy. A length of plumbing pipe will work though.

Sponenberg's plans are floating around out on the web. Might even be a thread here on this site, regarding ball mill construction.

Copper Thermite? Stand back! Way back!

Ah, just returned from the web. It is a new and generous world out there.
Found a very helpful Youtube link. Took about 60 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ball+mill+homem...

[Edited on 14-10-2016 by zed]

aga - 14-10-2016 at 13:26

There are already quite a few designs for Ball Mills to be be found here.

Google for :-

site:sciencemadness.org ball mill

Fidelmios - 15-10-2016 at 00:06

Quote: Originally posted by zed  
Make a better Ball Mill. It isn't hard.

A small rock tumbler works well. Marbles probably wont cut it. Ball bearings pack a lot more ooomph, when they fall.

And, a modern pop bottle is probably too flimsy. A length of plumbing pipe will work though.

Sponenberg's plans are floating around out on the web. Might even be a thread here on this site, regarding ball mill construction.

Copper Thermite? Stand back! Way back!

Ah, just returned from the web. It is a new and generous world out there.
Found a very helpful Youtube link. Took about 60 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ball+mill+homem...

I guess it did come off as a bit lazy, I did not mean for that my mistake. My ball mill did quite a bit over a night but it isn't near the consistency I want.... I wanted a lot more fine, so yes I'll have to make a better ball mill. I just wanted to make the thermite by this weekend, and decided to push the project forward. I see the error of my ways. I do have one more question, for the copper thermite how far back are you recommending for a 100g mix? Is it far enough back where I should light it with a long range fuse?

aga - 15-10-2016 at 09:02

By the Power of google-Fu :-

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=3957&a...

https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=61...

https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=61...

OR ....

... buy a rock tumbler.

Fidelmios - 16-10-2016 at 22:57

Thank you aga. I think I'll be heading to a pick and pull junkyard in the hopes of finding a washer/dryer to grab an electric motor. Like I mentioned in the first post, the proper time/money ratio is what I seek. I need to pay the least amount of money, for the highest efficiency, with the a reasonable amount of time required.

.... actually I have an old vacuum cleaner that lose suction, and has long been replaced. Is it possible to salvage a motor from it? I took a few engineering classes, but I am clueless on application.

Bert - 17-10-2016 at 03:39

1: Believe the people who told you that the ball mill needs to be properly built, and marbles likely are unsuitable for milling Aluminum. Milling Al is a long, slow job, calling for dense media (steel bearings highly suggested). Make your mill jar larger in DIAMETER, rather than longer, if you want quickest possible work.

2: Try shredding your Al can as a stack of several flattened cans, using an angle grinder and a heavy wire cup brush if you must use cans- But you are going to get there faster starting from finely cut up Aluminum foil.

3: You do not plan to mill a completed mixture? :o Your mill will probably let you know when the Al is ground fine enough, the exploding with large clouds of brownish smoke is a good indicator... Copper thermite made with flour fine Copper oxide and pyrotechnic grade Aluminum often goes off from the strike of a .22LR bullet. A mill/media capable of grinding Al is likely capable of setting this mixture off too.

Amos - 17-10-2016 at 09:01

Cooking basic copper carbonate in an oven produces copper(II) oxide, not copper(I). And I have very serious doubts as to the purity if it's golden-brown in color. You likely had a starting carbonate of poor quality or you need to heat it further and longer until it is nearly black. For this purpose I like stirring it around in a metal pan on a burner set to high.

Fidelmios - 17-10-2016 at 11:07

Quote: Originally posted by Bert  
1: Believe the people who told you that the ball mill needs to be properly built, and marbles likely are unsuitable for milling Aluminum. Milling Al is a long, slow job, calling for dense media (steel bearings highly suggested). Make your mill jar larger in DIAMETER, rather than longer, if you want quickest possible work.

2: Try shredding your Al can as a stack of several flattened cans, using an angle grinder and a heavy wire cup brush if you must use cans- But you are going to get there faster starting from finely cut up Aluminum foil.

3: You do not plan to mill a completed mixture? :o Your mill will probably let you know when the Al is ground fine enough, the exploding with large clouds of brownish smoke is a good indicator... Copper thermite made with flour fine Copper oxide and pyrotechnic grade Aluminum often goes off from the strike of a .22LR bullet. A mill/media capable of grinding Al is likely capable of setting this mixture off too.

Marbles are a no go, but could I use old recycled slugs from a shooting range? I might just shell out for actual grinding media

Nope, plan on milling them separately and maybe using a timer to remind me in a couple days to check it.

Fidelmios - 17-10-2016 at 11:20

Quote: Originally posted by Amos  
Cooking basic copper carbonate in an oven produces copper(II) oxide, not copper(I). And I have very serious doubts as to the purity if it's golden-brown in color. You likely had a starting carbonate of poor quality or you need to heat it further and longer until it is nearly black. For this purpose I like stirring it around in a metal pan on a burner set to high.

I was making a cooking joke, cook until golden brown. Sometimes I forget I'm not funny, it's all water under the fridge.:P
Yeah I did make cupric oxide. Not copper I oxide like I originally wrote. Just incase others read this thread the color change was from the teal of basic copper carbonate, to grey, and eventually black. I tried my burners and the stove never reached the temperature I needed.

Fidelmios - 18-10-2016 at 00:14

So I've decided to scrap a motor from a Dyson vacuum if I can. I bet I'll have to gear it down, but you'll most likely see a post next week about salvaging the motor, and then powering it.