Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Improvised titration/buret substitute?

Veruth - 26-11-2006 at 22:08

I tried the search feature and didn't see anything that answered my question, so I figured I might as well create a new topic.
I've got some drain opener that supposedly contains HCl, but the concentration isn't listed anywhere that I can see. I'm planning on titrating it, but I don't have a buret yet. Are there any alternate methods of titration that would work here, or anything that can be substituted for a buret? I don't need an extremely accurate measurement at this point, so some sort of improvised setup would be just fine for now. Any suggestions on where to buy a decent setup would also be greatly appreciated.

chromium - 27-11-2006 at 00:45

Titration is basically just measuring of amount of one solution that is needed to neutralize known amount of another solution.

You can do it with plastic syringe. These are probably available at any pharmacy. 10ml is better than smaller sizes.

You can also titrate with measuring cylinder. In this case its better to use diluted solutions as you probably can not measure small amounts very precisely

If you have scales you can use these for titration as instead of measuring volumes you could just measure weights.

In hobby chemistry you rarely need high precision so these all do the thying. There are probably other ways too.

[Edited on 27-11-2006 by chromium]

[Edited on 27-11-2006 by chromium]

DeAdFX - 27-11-2006 at 09:27

I have some pipettes(sp) at home that are accurate to .1mL[storage capacity of 10mL]. I think one is a mohr style pipette and the other a volumetric. I guess if you find accurate enough pippetes you could attempt to use these in titrations. However the addition of liquid will not be as easy to control.

Veruth - 27-11-2006 at 17:58

Yeah, I was wondering if the syringe thing would work. Good things is, they are cheap. Especially since I have a parent that works at a hospital. This would also keep people from sending the police after me. I never thought of using a pipette, but as it was mentioned, flow rate is more difficult to control. I never have been very good with one anyway :P I'll get a few syringes and see how that works out.
Thanks.