Sciencemadness Discussion Board

latest glassware purchase

Pages:  1  2    4  5

JJay - 18-3-2017 at 23:00

That definitely looks more effective than the standard stirbar-and-a-piece-of-twine apparatus usually used in le labo de JJay.

[Edited on 19-3-2017 by JJay]

j_sum1 - 18-3-2017 at 23:17

Ha. Here is my attempt at the same thing:
https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=61...

I had a nice unboxing the other day:

I have a few more odds and ends of glass on its way as well as some items for my fume hood when I construct it. And I bought a vacuum desiccator that should arrive within a week.

Unboxing is one of my favourite things to do.

JJay - 18-3-2017 at 23:57

Unboxing is a lot of fun. Every time a package arrives, it's like Christmas :)

I really need to get some SS lab scoops. I've wasted so many plastic spoons....

Sulaiman - 19-3-2017 at 00:43

Have you considered spoons ?
e.g. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-Stainless-Steel-Tableware-Long-...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hot-sale-Long-Handle-Stainless-Ste...
or kitchen scoops ?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Coffee-Tea-Spice-Measure-Scoop-Sti...

and one of these helps a lot http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/90mm-24-29-Transparent-Glass-Powde...

I too like the post-person's knock on the door ... presents to me from me :D

[Edited on 19-3-2017 by Sulaiman]

A Halogenated Substance - 19-3-2017 at 12:14

I recently got a 24/29 distillation, Claisen, vacuum receiving, and thermometer adapter.
Ironically, the only condenser I have with glass joints is my 24/29 graham condenser, but my Liebig condenser is reliant upon rubber stoppers. :(

Time to go hunting for more glassware soon again.

JJay - 20-3-2017 at 13:30

I am currently carrying a large military duffel bag full of glass from my latest order and will take photos when I get home.

A while back, I noticed a suspicious van that I suspected of being a surveillance vehicle watching my residence. Today, as I was heading out to pick up my glass, the van drove up to me in the parking lot and the driver, who looked nothing like a cop (actually, he looked rather strung out) asked if I knew "anyone who was looking for a laptop" and said, "Come on," when I declined. I am not sure what to think about this and wish I had asked him how he managed to fuel his van.

Anyway, I'll post pics of my new glass when I get home.

Corrosive Joeseph - 20-3-2017 at 13:42

Quote: Originally posted by JJay  
I am currently carrying a large military duffel bag full of glass from my latest order

Holy f%@king sh*t..............!! No wonder you are under surveilance..........
Maybe the laptop was bugged................... :D

Seriously doh, I am soooo jealous............. Keep up the good work

/CJ

JJay - 20-3-2017 at 14:14

Quote: Originally posted by Corrosive Joeseph  
I am currently carrying a large military duffel bag full of glass from my latest order

Holy f%@king sh*t..............!! No wonder you are under surveilance..........
Maybe the laptop was bugged................... :D

Seriously doh, I am soooo jealous............. Keep up the good work

/CJ

If they are watching, they are wasting their time. I'm not doing anything illegal, and this is a fairly pedestrian collection of glassware.

IMG_20170320_140338~2.jpg - 341kB

But you should definitely be jealous of my Girl Scout Cookies :D

[Edited on 21-3-2017 by JJay]

Geocachmaster - 20-3-2017 at 14:45

Large scale chemistry much JJay? :o

I bought a 250ml Soxhlet last month for about $30. I had some trouble at first but I've finally put it to good use doing some extractions!

IMG_0671.JPG - 1.2MB

image.jpg - 932kB

Curcunoids and red pepper so far.

JJay - 20-3-2017 at 15:13

I bought the 5000 mL beaker and 3000 mL flask for purifying metals. I don't consider this to be large-scale really, but I can't do it in my stainless steel cauldron (which is actually just a 12L stock pot)... lately I have been doing most of my experiments in a 1000 mL beaker and 500 mL flask.

I still have not used my Soxhlet for anything... but extracting cocoa looks like fun.

Curcunoids, huh... from ginger or ?

[Edited on 20-3-2017 by JJay]

A Halogenated Substance - 21-3-2017 at 10:22

After 5 hours of dragging myself through various antique shops, I finally found one that was selling some chemistry glassware!I got an amber glass bottle for storing solids for $5 and a 2000ml. round bottom flask for $5 as well.

IMG_8899.JPG - 2.2MB

The round bottom did have some damage on the neck however but I suspect it should be OK.

IMG_8901.JPG - 2.1MB

Additionally, they also had this monster of a 4 liter vacuum flask for $30. However, considering that I rarely ever even use my 1 liter regular flask, I didn't think I needed it (I don't think I should be doing vacuum with antique glassware anyways).

JJay - 22-3-2017 at 10:28

I have some pretty nice glassware, but there are still some things I want:

1. A quartz retort or distilling flask, preferably with ground-glass joints. This would be helpful for distilling sulfuric acid and oleum, as well as distilling mercury, aluminum bromide, sodium and so forth, and it could be used for pyrolysis reactions that I ordinarily would run in a steel can. This would give me free access to high-grade sulfuric acid at all times, not to mention hard-to-get reagents like thionyl chloride. I'm looking at one, and I really want it, but it's going to cost almost $300.
2. A large crucible.
3. A Dewar condenser. Right now I would be limited to putting a test tube in a dry ice/acetone bath if I wanted to prepare some liquid ammonia or liquid sulfur dioxide. It would also be useful to use one as a cold trap.
4. A chromatography column. I don't remember ever actually doing any column chromatography in chemistry classes, but I've done a lot of things that I was never taught to do, and it looks like something I'd want to do at some point.
5. An argon tank and regulator.

All this stuff is going to be very expensive, and while I do have a job and few living expenses, it's going to take a while to save up for all that stuff.

Db33 - 22-3-2017 at 10:46

I would like a nitrogen tank and regulator..

also a Rotary evaporator :)

Also i really want to build or get a fumehood soon, thats my ultimate need-to-do item.

Also i need, or plan to, get alot more chemical storage glass bottles.

Also a coldfinger is something i will probably get for resublimation.

JJay - 23-3-2017 at 19:31

I picked up mainly an assortment of vials with a nice set of clear 20 mL PTFE septum vials and a whole bunch with paper-lined caps but also some pipettes, a crucible, two media bottles, some flasks, alumina TLC plates, and melting point tubes. Oh and also my much-anticipated jerky dehydration device :)

IMG_20170323_190643.jpg - 368kB

JJay - 27-3-2017 at 20:14

I have an order from Deschem that I made almost two months ago that hasn't arrived yet. I've bought a couple dozen items from Deschem, and that's very unlike their usual level of service; while they seem to have mostly grade-B equipment (which is functional and a good deal for the price), Deschem is trustworthy, and typically Deschem orders ship quickly and have no problems with customs or breakage. I emailed them and they told me that Chinese customs is on a high security alert right now... I heard the same thing from my mail agent.

Some orders seem to be getting through quickly still, but there are definitely some customs issues right now, and I don't think it's just Chinese customs.

JJay - 29-3-2017 at 15:15

It looks to me like some sellers are having an unfairly hard time with both American and Chinese customs. I'm not really sure why... Nanshin, who it seems to me usually gets a lot of flack from Chinese customs (almost every package I ever ordered from Nanshin got hung up at some point and arrived with that familiar yellow tape), is currently getting packages through quickly, though.

Db33 - 29-3-2017 at 15:26

^ its almost easier to pay the higher price and get it from people already in the US. Yes ordering from china is way cheaper and ive done it alot. But the more customs gets involved the more i start to think might as well pay the extra and avoid problems.

JJay - 29-3-2017 at 15:52

I think it really depends on what it is... if I'm buying a mercury thermometer I'll buy it from the U.S. I usually buy electronics and chemicals from the U.S. If I'm in a big hurry to get a replacement item, I'll buy glassware from the U.S. But if it's just glass for outfitting my lab, I don't really see a problem with getting it directly from China. Customs might delay my package in the name of making America great or whatever, but this is a free country, and it's just a piece of glass. I figure I'm just helping some artisan buy rice for his family.

My guess is that the new administration simply changed tactics at the borders, so now customs treats packages differently.

JJay - 30-3-2017 at 19:01

Soxhlet accessories. Glass syringe.

IMG_20170330_185443[1].jpg - 414kB IMG_20170330_185522.jpg - 381kB

Lambda-Eyde - 31-3-2017 at 00:21

s-l1600.jpg - 129kB

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Konvolut-Destillier-Glasgerate-fur...

Did I outbid anyone here? :D Got the package a week ago and the distillation head is simply erotic. Looking forward to putting it to use. The jacketed Dimroth didn't survive the trip from Germany. No problem since I have a glassblower in my immediate vicinity, paid her a visit yesterday to fix the breakage and to look for a suitable stopcock for the addition funnel.

Sulaiman - 31-3-2017 at 02:27

What a fantastic kit ... I'm so jealous of the still head

(full reflux, variable takeoff, Perkin triangle ?)

What is the glassware bottom right ?

j_sum1 - 31-3-2017 at 02:44

I think you got it for a great price. And a tough auction -- you nearly missed out. Well done!

JJay - 31-3-2017 at 02:50

Quote: Originally posted by Sulaiman  
What a fantastic kit ... I'm so jealous of the still head

What is the glassware bottom right ?

I am pretty sure that is a Soxhlet extractor. They're used with a reflux condenser for doing continuous solvent extractions (like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQidAZQhxbA).

Sulaiman - 31-3-2017 at 03:12

That's what I first thought but I could not see the siphon tubes,
it has the same neck size as the double-surface large area reflux condenser on the left,
so probably something Soxhlet-like ... a simple extractor ?
.................................................................................

ooo! it is a Soxhlet, with Dewar-like heating ... I guess
NICE !

Lambda-Eyde - 31-3-2017 at 04:58

Quote: Originally posted by Sulaiman  

Yes! Everything! You cannot ask for any more in a single piece of glassware!

I've spent the last five years or so being jealous every time I see one, it's so good to finally be on the other side. Now, to get a 14/23 or 19/26 version to complement it...

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  
I think you got it for a great price. And a tough auction -- you nearly missed out. Well done!

My max bid was 160 €, and I'm still surprised that I got away with it. To be honest I was only interested in the still head, which I've never seen sold for less than 300 € alone - I consider the other items just a nice bonus :D
I seriously considered buying one of those QF sluice-type variable reflux adapters from GB Laboratory Equipment for ~100 £ - and then I find this! Very happy.

The "mystery" item is indeed an extractor, though it's (of course!) not a Soxhlet. It does have a siphon, though of a different, simpler design than on my Soxhlets. I have no idea what this particular design is called or even used for, any insights would be appreciated! The main difference is, as pointed out, that the vapor runs around the whole perimeter of the inner extractor body, thus heating the extract. It looks like using it without a proper thimble can be messy though. I'll shop around for a glass one.

BTW, I'd highly recommend this seller - he communicates well and is very flexible, and even though the Dimroth arrived broken, he packs very well and I can hardly blame him for that. He's got another auction with a few interesting items going on as we speak: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232283895572?_trksid=p2055119.m143...

JJay - 31-3-2017 at 05:41

It looks like it's one of these:

http://matest.com/en/Products/bitumen-asphalt/BINDER-EXTRACT...

Lambda-Eyde - 31-3-2017 at 05:54

Close, but not exactly the same! I found this site where they call it a "Soxhlet de Knofer-Bohm" - though that's also the only hit when googling "Knofer-Bohm extractor".

JJay - 31-3-2017 at 06:07

Ok, whatever. I'm not sure your condenser is even a Dimroth :)

Lambda-Eyde - 31-3-2017 at 06:14

It's a jacketed Dimroth ;) EDIT: Fuck, of course it's not! My head just went on autopilot caused by the crowded hose connections, but the coil itself is terminated at top and bottom - so it's just a plain old jacketed coil condenser (or whatever).

This means that I still have an excuse to buy a Dimroth condenser! YES!

[Edited on 31-3-2017 by Lambda-Eyde]

[Edited on 31-3-2017 by Lambda-Eyde]

Texium - 31-3-2017 at 07:01

From the Soxhlet extractor Wikipedia page:

"Very similar to the Soxhlet extractor, the Kumagawa extractor has a specific design where the thimble holder/chamber is directly suspended inside the solvent flask (having a vertical large opening) above the boiling solvent. The thimble is surrounded by hot solvent vapour and maintained at a higher temperature compared to the Soxhlet extractor, thus allowing better extraction for compounds with higher melting points such as bitumen. The removable holder/chamber is fitted with a small siphon side arm and, in the same way as for Soxhlet, a vertical condenser ensures that the solvent drips back down into the chamber which is automatically emptied at every cycle."

Sounds like what you have is a Kumagawa extractor.

Texium - 31-3-2017 at 11:37

I just unboxed a nice set of 14/20 glassware that I was quite excited to receive. I purchased it from another member here (this thread). I'm especially excited about the calcium chloride tube and the larger flasks, because previously my largest 14/20 flask was 100 mL. Also I'll happily endorse sternman318 as a fair and reputable seller, though it seems unlikely he'll be selling more stuff.

IMG_3216.JPG - 2.3MB

JJay - 31-3-2017 at 11:53

That looks like a pretty nice set.

CharlieA - 3-4-2017 at 15:55

Not a purchase but my wife found these in an antique/resell it shop, for my recent birthday. From left to right: 125 mL Florence flask; 300 mL "fleaker"; 1L 3-neck RBF. Now I can't wait for my next birthday!:D

IMG_20170310_084811.jpg - 57kB

Dr.Bob - 3-4-2017 at 17:17

Quote: Originally posted by zts16  
I just unboxed a nice set of 14/20 glassware that I was quite excited to receive. I purchased it from another member here

That looks very familiar, I think he got it from me originally, or it looks a lot like one of the sets I sold. If you need more 14/20 flasks or adapters, let me know, I have lots still. Also have some nice Deak Stark adapters and p e addition funnels in 14/20 that would go well with it. Happy experimenting.

Texium - 3-4-2017 at 17:51

Quote: Originally posted by Dr.Bob  
Quote: Originally posted by zts16  
I just unboxed a nice set of 14/20 glassware that I was quite excited to receive. I purchased it from another member here

That looks very familiar, I think he got it from me originally, or it looks a lot like one of the sets I sold. If you need more 14/20 flasks or adapters, let me know, I have lots still. Also have some nice Deak Stark adapters and p e addition funnels in 14/20 that would go well with it. Happy experimenting.
Haha, I figured that it probably came from you. I've bought from you before and this stuff looked nearly identical (same brands and same apparent age). Now it's been reunited!

I think that Dr. Bob's glassware will sort of cycle around our community for years to come as people enter and leave the hobby.

Texium - 3-4-2017 at 17:56

Quote: Originally posted by CharlieA  
Not a purchase but my wife found these in an antique/resell it shop, for my recent birthday. From left to right: 125 mL Florence flask; 300 mL "fleaker"; 1L 3-neck RBF. Now I can't wait for my next birthday!:D

Wow, real RBF's at an antique shop, a very nice find indeed. I never thought to check out the ones around town, but I'll have to do that now. I don't have my hopes up since most jointware is technically illegal to sell in Texas without a permit, and I doubt antique stores would go to that trouble. They could easily be ignorant of the law though, in which case I'd happily relieve them of their contraband!

JJay - 10-4-2017 at 20:51

I picked up some quality items from Dr. Bob. This is my third order, and until now I've mostly bought storage containers, but today I received this nice 14/10 coil condenser, in addition to some other microscale glassware and accessories, as well as storage containers with PTFE-lined caps.

IMG_20170410_204135[1].jpg - 431kB

IMG_20170410_204822.jpg - 371kB

[Edited on 11-4-2017 by JJay]

JJay - 14-4-2017 at 14:21

There has been an almost conspicuous lack of weird vehicles parked in front of my residence lately.

IMG_20170414_141320.jpg - 423kB

[Edited on 15-4-2017 by JJay]

tsathoggua1 - 17-4-2017 at 03:53

sine carbon rods for use as electrodes, a pair of iron crucibles, a pair of nickel plated ones, and one solid nickel crucible, not cheap though. Will likely plate the Fe cricibles and a large graphite crucible, and while they haven't yet arrived, a lot of 50 test tubes.

tsathoggua1 - 17-4-2017 at 04:43

Need to replace a small sep finnel as well, went to use it and found my old man mus have broken it, a crystallization fish broke (and lost my produc as well, thankfully I was heating it on one of those mesh screens imoregnatired wotj some srt of refractory, and the temp was just at the bP of EEtOH/.

j_sum1 - 17-4-2017 at 14:27

I had another short-path condenser arrive this morning. This is number three.
I bought one before Christmas and it arrived with a broken stem. I complained and they sent a replacement which arrived intact.
I presume this is a second replacement sent by mistake; because I didn't order one.

Unfortunately, #3 also arrived with a broken stem.

JJay - 19-4-2017 at 22:58

I have been thinking about trimming down the stem on my short path apparatus. I like that it has a stem; the stem is just too long to use with 50 and 100 mL flasks.

Today I bought some 500 mL bottles. The caps on these are probably not suitable for chlorinated solvents, but I think they're OK with alcohols and they're probably OK with most acids.

I also ordered some 4L jugs.

IMG_20170419_222914[1].jpg - 446kB

JJay - 22-4-2017 at 12:46

I *finally* received an intact steam distillation receiver! On a scale from 1 to awesome, this is definitely an 11.

IMG_20170422_123907[1].jpg - 544kB

j_sum1 - 22-4-2017 at 15:59

You know, JJay, we should compare notes. I get the feeling that your glass collection looks a lot like mine. Right down to the packaging paper.
But I am going to call mine a Dean Stark even if that is not entirely correct.
Haven't used it yet but at some stage will dehydrate some oxalic acid in toluene.

JJay - 22-4-2017 at 17:14

It's awfully similar to a Dean Stark trap. I have a more formal Dean Stark trap with a smaller receiver (it actually has graduations, although I am sure the measurements are approximate). I was kind of planning on using that one for applications that actually require a Dean Stark trap and using this one for steam distillation. I do wonder, though, whether it is better to have a large receiver or a small one for removing water from reactions....

[Edited on 23-4-2017 by JJay]

JJay - 25-4-2017 at 08:50

I am hoping I won't regret this.

s-l1600 (5).jpg - 136kB

anewsoul - 25-4-2017 at 09:02

Guess you decided you need one after all the filtering you must've done processing the chromium waste?

alking - 25-4-2017 at 09:08

Why do you think you would regret that? Why the slotted over a fritted funnel? Frits are kind of a pain to clean, but otherwise I prefer them.

JJay - 25-4-2017 at 09:35

Why would I regret it? The seller is HONG KONG YEE CHEN TECHNOLOGY LIMITED. I've bought quite a few pieces off them though rarely on purpose... quality is usually low and about 50% arrived broken. Most recently, they delivered my essential oil distillation receiver broken twice and then tried to haggle over the refund.

I'd like to get a large fritted one too, but my 350 mL fritted funnel is usually adequate for the things I filter through it. My tiny plastic Buchner funnel is nowhere near large enough for filtering large volumes of solutions mixed with stuff like calcium sulfate, which is virtually impossible to clean off of a frit.

Geocachmaster - 25-4-2017 at 10:22

There are several sellers like that, all have the glassware on a black background and know nothing about the product. I bought my short path condenser from "ynaan," it was packaged extremely poorly and broke. I contacted them and asked for a replacement. They basically responded with "we won't ship one because it will break again." Why they even bother selling something that will break because they can't package it properly?! They also only wanted to refund me $10 when I payed $20. After something like a week they agreed to a full refund. I currently try to get most of my glassware from Laboy. It's not Chemglass or Pyrex but it is much higher quality than the cheap eBay sellers like ynaan.

Deschem is a pretty good Chinese seller, they use so much packaging it is almost impossible to unpack. Nevertheless I've never had a broken item.

JJay - 25-4-2017 at 10:53

ynaan is one of Yee Chen's eBay aliases. They tried to pull the same 50% refund crap with me on my receiver despite stating that they pay return shipping on their auctions. There is no rational reason to agree to a 50% refund from them; just have eBay collect the entire amount for you.

Deschem's packaging is the best. I have never gotten a broken item from them either. The quality of their items varies; some are very high quality and some are not, but their items seem to be always functional.

Laboy is known for quality... I think they are better than Pyrex.

tsathoggua1 - 27-4-2017 at 17:23

I need to replace my fritted buchner, I'm stuck using a ceramic one now without inbuilt vac takeoff, Accidentally knocked it and shattered it. Although the frit is intact at least, so I'll reuse it either with a ceramic funnel hacked onto a ground glass joint, build an enamelled funnel or use the frit for a salt bridge in an electrolytic cell of some kind.

Bought a fair bit of new stuff though:

A couple of lengths of fused quartz tubing, pressure-equalized addition funnel, 100-pack of melting point capillary tubes, 2x drying tubes,
and a spare soxhlet. Actually a matched set of soxhlet and allihn condenser for it, I already had a soxhlet, but needed to pick up a condenser since the joint size is larger than any of mine. Figured I may as well get the set, since it was no more than I'd expect to have paid for the allihn to use with the soxhlet I have already, and get a second soxhlet for essentially free, bought a powder addition funnel also, and a dreschel bottle.

Total cost? about £90 inc. shipping for the one or maybe two items that charged any.

JJay - 27-4-2017 at 17:32

Is this a powder addition funnel with an auger?

Dreschel bottles are pretty cool. I have two. Usually, I use one as a suckback trap and the other one for gassing, but I'd like to have at least four.

Oh and quartz tubes are awesome.

PirateDocBrown - 27-4-2017 at 19:10

Six bucks at University Surplus!

Another $25 on a couple boxes of flasks and reagent bottles, too.

Now I gotta jigger a condenser...

20170427_220716[1].jpg - 1.4MB

j_sum1 - 27-4-2017 at 19:36

I like the Klein bottle approach. i have not seen this configuration before.
Nice acquisition.

PirateDocBrown - 27-4-2017 at 22:16

It's a pretty standard Soxhlet.

JJay - 27-4-2017 at 22:25

If you get an adapter for it, you can use it with a condenser that you already own.

PirateDocBrown - 27-4-2017 at 23:03

That's the idea. Since you can get one of these, with a condenser, for not much, I'm looking for a good deal on an adapter, as well.

JJay - 28-4-2017 at 00:03

I got one from Nanshin rather inexpensively, and it works perfectly fine. Laboy makes bushings that look really nice, but I haven't tried them.

I have no idea if Dr. Bob would have one or not, but he has some good deals on lightly used name brand equipment.

I just bought a big 50 mL 3-neck flask in 14/10 with threaded joints and PTFE septa for my microscale setup. I also got a distillation adapter and a 25 mL flask.

I really need to find some long needles, preferably ones that will stand up to corrosives and aren't too expensive. I definitely don't want to buy expensive ones that won't stand up to corrosives.

tsathoggua1 - 28-4-2017 at 13:32

Well I've no need to buy an adapter, since I already wanted the condenser, the fact that it was sold as a matched set with a soxhlet, for much the same price range that it'd have cost me for the condenser alone just means I essentially got a free second soxhlet as a bonus.

Something arrived for me today that I'd actually forgotten about, a mini-scale pear shaped flask (50ml I think although I'd have to check, with a sidearm, a central column with a female joint at the top and a sideways-oriented joint for taking a condenser, the column itself has a section of its length as a vigreaux column.), the pressure equalized addition funnel, and 100x capillary tubes for MP determination.

JJay - 9-5-2017 at 15:29

I got a 105 degree takeoff adapter for my 14/10 microscale kit. Now I can do a fractional distillation without a Hickman distillation head.

IMG_20170509_144945.jpg - 55kB

I also got a 25 mL flask (in 14/10) and the big, bad 50 mL 3-neck flask. Rawr.

IMG_20170509_145027.jpg - 57kB

JJay - 16-5-2017 at 08:50

I got my 1L filter funnel! Quality is so-so, with tiny bubbles visible at the joints, but I think it will function just fine.

IMG_20170516_084016[1].jpg - 441kB

JJay - 6-6-2017 at 16:43

I got a 500 mL quartz distillation flask.

IMG_20170606_163734.jpg - 68kB

Sulaiman - 6-6-2017 at 19:04

Looks nice.

A useful warm-up exercise could be drain unblocker sulphuric acid (338oC max)
The brand that I used (Hexeal, amazon, uk) cleared up by just boiling,
but a small quantity of distilled azeotropic H2SO4 would be handy.
(boiling without condensing caused choking fog :(

JJay - 6-6-2017 at 20:05

It's not quite flawless (it has a tiny indentation that like a tool mark on top of the distillation arm) but it is free of bubbles and rings like a bell. I am sure it is quite functional, and I'm planning to distill some sulfuric acid with it in the near future. Aluminum bromide looks like fun too.

(Oh and I'm planning on giving away a similar flask to whoever wins the oxalyl chloride challenge.)

[Edited on 7-6-2017 by JJay]

JJay - 5-7-2017 at 06:46

After more than two years of use, my beaker set had become quite badly scratched, and two of them were broken. Also, my 15 year-old 100 mL graduated cylinder cracked at the top, making it dangerous to use and prone to spills. It's been through literally hundreds of reactions, but it's time for it to retire. So I ordered a new beaker set and a new graduated cylinder.

Loptr - 5-7-2017 at 08:02

I got a 500 mL quartz distillation flask.

Was this from eBay? I have been looking at one on there recently. A quartz distillation flask would be nice to have for destructive distillations, or other high-boiling liquids.

JJay - 5-7-2017 at 11:57

As a matter of fact, it was. They had some more listed for sale. If you message Elaine (their eBay salesperson), she'll probably list some more. Which reminds me, I've been meaning to order some ground quartz tubes....

[Edited on 6-7-2017 by JJay]

The Volatile Chemist - 5-7-2017 at 12:47

Just got Home Science Tools' Deluxe Ground Glassware kit for my 18th B-day from my parents, first ground glassware I've owned...super hyped :)

Geocachmaster - 9-7-2017 at 05:01

My new (old) condenser arrived on Friday, sadly I was away for the weekend and I couldn't see it until today.

Chemglass.jpeg - 328kB Chemglass2.jpeg - 304kB

Chemglass dimroth condenser, I think 250mm but I'm not sure how they measure it. No scratches, chips, cracks, or any imperfections that I can see. It's also completely clean, zero residue. Not bad for $37:P.

I also got my first glass frit, which goes well with my new water aspirator!

Glassfrit.jpeg - 312kB WAsp.jpeg - 324kB

Now off to the hardware store so I can connect my aspirator...

JJay - 9-7-2017 at 05:19

Cool stuff. If you have a Dimroth condenser, you hardly even need a Liebig.

arkoma - 9-7-2017 at 13:25

getting ready to drop about $900 on lab supplies. insurance check should clear tomorrow, i can hardly wait.

tsathoggua1 - 14-7-2017 at 07:06

Just had to replace my largest sep funnel, after some piece of shit (for the second time) trashed my project. Still, it'll be him thats paying for it, since I owe him some money, and now he just isn't going to get it, and god help him should he even think about whingeing.

Got a pair of vacuum adapters of the short kind, more or less a 24/40 (which most of my glassware is) stopper, leading to a stopcock and hose attachment last night. Plus, grabbed a liter each of MeCN and toluene while I was at it.

tsathoggua1 - 15-7-2017 at 11:05

Bought a few flasks as well, the one I remember (might have been two, can't remember for sure) being a 2- or 3-neck 500ml RBF.

Plus the above. (no, the drying agent wasn't in the drying tube, of which I bought two) when it came, and the plastic hose and hose clamps were not attached to the glass U-tube either, it was me that attached the lengths of hose.

karlos³ - 16-7-2017 at 10:08

Are those empty pill blisters at the left on the bottom picture of tsathoggua1? :o :D

tsathoggua1 - 16-7-2017 at 11:29

Lol I hadn't noticed. The blue blisterpack? thats mogadon (nitrazepam) and the brown bottle could be either one of two things, chlormethiazole capsules or a few pieces of elemental silicon, since I end up with plenty of those amber glass bottles that the chlormethiazole comes in, its kinda handy really since it can't be stored in plastic containers. At least, not if you ever want to get the chlormethiazole out again, it attacks plastic pretty badly, although whatever the cap of the bottles it comes in are made out of survive it for at least a week. I think the box to the back of the nitrazepam is pramipexole, one of the non-ergoloid dopamine receptor agonists with a strong bias towards DA-D3 agonism, also an agonist at D2 (primarily the short isoform, although still quite a strong partial agonist at D2l)

I take it for RLS. Don't know if you've ever had it, but RLS really sucks arse. Drives me up the bloody wall sometimes. If the box isn't that, its a bit difficult to make out then its oxycodone IR, since I use it as a backup when the morphine or any improvements on it doesn't adequately make my iffy joints and bursitis stop howling. Or possibly either clonidine or tizanidine, a couple of the imidazoline receptor agonist/alpha2 adrenergic autoreceptor agonists, the former I use to prevent sensory overloading and the latter, as a muscle relaxant since having some surgery that A-didn't help a damn and B-made things worse by inflicting some nerve damage that causes my calf muscle to be permanently contracted without it. Hurts like a bitch, although the tizanidine does help a lot, and generally speaking the morphine/oxy or dipropionyl/dibenzoyl/dibutyrylmorphine/oxy combination finishes off most of the aggro from the calf issue, aside from the paraesthesia and neuropathic type pain, for which opioids only really help when either the dose is very large for the tolerance level of the person taking them, or else a pain med that really packs a punch is used (which is one reason I favour the 3,6-dipropionyl ester. Lasts most of a day from a single IM or subcutaneous dose of around 600-700mg [tolerance, I'm not suggesting anybody try it at that level, its perhaps as potent again compared to diamorphine as the latter is to morphine on a mg to mg basis, but for some reason it lasts an awful long time)

(yes, I have the benzos, the chlormethiazole, oxy, morphine and the like on rx, not that such things are of much import, other than meaning I don't need to result to synthesis myself)

JJay - 16-7-2017 at 11:39

It's interesting that your Thiele tube has a ground joint at the top.

tsathoggua1 - 16-7-2017 at 13:00

Do they not usually have one? its the only one I've actually seen right there in front of me.

I still need to read up on the use of them (in particular the flame-sealing of the capillaries is a little unclear, as to which (or both) ends are meant to be sealed. Got plenty of tubes, a 100 pack was pretty cheap, a couple of dollars on ebay. And since they are disposable, I guess it matters relatively little whether or not they happen to be made of chinesium.

IIRC the thiele tube was around $15-20, forget exactly but within that range give or take a dollar or two either way.

JJay - 16-7-2017 at 13:25

I've never seen one with a ground glass joint, but I haven't seen that many of them really, so perhaps they are common actually.

The capillary tubes with two open ends are kind of a pain to use. Typically you only need to seal one end.

I'm buying some more gas washing bottles (I swear you can't have too many). I should probably also get some U tubes in various configurations....

tsathoggua1 - 17-7-2017 at 05:05

Damn straight you can't. I've the one atm although will certainly be buying more dreschel bottles.

As for the ground glass joint, your in the same boat as I then only the inverse, since the thiele tube I own is the only one I've seen physically, right in front of me as opposed to pics on ebay, and I more or less ignored the majority on price grounds and picked the one I could best afford. The fact that it has a ground glass joint is simply a bonus. Although not entirely sure what use it could be put to, or why you'd attach a MP testing device to a reaction setup when a capillary needs to be filled and sealed, strapped to a thermometer and the tube filled with oil or concentrated H2SO4, I could see the utility in the joint if thiele tubes just took an internal sample, heated it and measured the MP of a dissolved solid, liquid etc. But since the samples need the preparation that they do I'm at a loss as to why the joint is there, unless simply as a way of keeping it ready and waiting to be used, clipped on to whatever there may bee by way of spare 24/40 male fittings.

That does seem an overly imprecise long shot though. You've gotten me curious now, wondering just why its there and what purpose the joint has. Could it maybe be some kind of custom piece perhaps?

j_sum1 - 17-7-2017 at 05:45

Um...
Isn't the ground glass joint so that you can drop in your thermometer adapter with the thermometer in it?

As for the wash bottles, my latest purchase was this:
s-l500.jpg - 33kB
http://www.ebay.com/itm/25-125ml-Gas-Sampling-Tube-Glinsky-A...

Fine piece of glassware. The second I opened it I wished I had bought several.

tsathoggua1 - 17-7-2017 at 13:24

Should have thought of that. Serves me right for posting late at night the day before my scripts are due with all tanks running on fumes and being at best somewhat scattered and shitty-feeling. I was envisioning simply placing the thermometer in the thiele tube without an adapter. Probably because, aside from the ones attached to distillation adapters, my thermometer adapter is really short, in fact I've never used it, I've always used a still head with a plastic stopper stuffed in the side-arm for temp. measurements, unless a flask is either really small or really full.

The arm part of the adapter is only a few inches long and actually its far more use as a cold-finger than it is for use as a thermometer adapter.

The lower piece of glassware, is that a thermometer adapter or a venturi-type aspirator vacuum pump? its difficult to tell if the bore narrows at the point of the ground glass joint, although from the look of the top of it, with the wide hose barb I'm guessing aspirator vacuum. Different from mine, I haven't seen one with a narrow taper like that at the very bottom. Mine has the taper in the bulb and a straight tube right to the end at the point the water exits. Does that, assuming there is a taper in the point where the ground glass joint is also, improve the vacuum (the end taper that is) ?

Because if so, then it's time for toady to grab one of his blowtorches and make a little modification to his aspirator vacuum at the very end, so as to be able to restore it easily if, on hooking the vac line to his vacuum chamber (although it'll take a long time to pump down with a venturi most likely, considering the size of the thing) prior to heating and pulling down to a narrower tip then cutting the end with a diamond cutter or tungsten carbide tool (actually an old cutter from the capstan lathe with a nick in the carbide tip making it no good for use in the lathe but its only a small chip in one corner so its still ideal as a glass knife, which it has been repurposed for. Tsath's all for the waste not, want not mindset and recycles as much as possible to be put to further use)

vac chamber.JPG - 2.3MBpretty things.JPG - 2.3MB

tsathoggua1 - 17-7-2017 at 13:29

Above is the vacuum chamber in question, the tall black thing with the 1/2'' or so thick acrylic (IIRC) windows top and bottom, couldn't easily get the camera in a point to include the vac gauge and barb.

And a still flask (tubing attached), a bump trap, and a 10ml micro-flask.

Plus the long wire coil with a different sized brush at either end, its for cleaning flasks and the like as when pushed it coils up around inside them to scrub off the typical o-chem related garbage that accumulates. The other pic, is a block of Na.

scrubber.JPG - 2.3MBSodium metal.JPG - 2.2MB

tsathoggua1 - 17-7-2017 at 13:30

Oops, bad pic of the vac chamber. Better one:

chamber&toxic waste tank.JPG - 2.3MB

ninhydric1 - 11-10-2017 at 17:46

Recently bought a 24/29 distillation apparatus and a 125 mL 24/29 separatory funnel in order to delve further into organic chemistry syntheses and theory.

I also bought a 50 mL burette with a PTFE stopcock since I broke my ground glass stopcock for my 25 mL ground glass burette. I honestly prefer the PTFE stopcock due to more of a smoother twisting and turning. I'm using this in my "real-life theory" journey where I explore the theoretical part of chemistry. After all, theory before experimentation :). I could also use this for some analytical chemistry I plan to study in the future.

By the way, are there any uses for a burette without a stopcock?

[EDIT: added some missing prepositional phrases. My grammar is deteriorating :(]

[Edited on 10-12-2017 by ninhydric1]

SWIM - 12-10-2017 at 12:25

Just bought a 300mm glass vacuum desiccator.
Second hand, but no scratches or chips and it had a thick layer of drierite in it as a bit of a bonus.

Anybody know how hazardous it is to use one of these without a Desi-guard?

I've seen few Desi-guards in my life, so I sort of assume desiccators are pretty safe if you don't drop a brick on them when they're under vacuum or something like that.

But what I don't know about vacuum implosion you could almost cram into the Astrodome.

Sulaiman - 12-10-2017 at 22:01

Quote: Originally posted by ninhydric1  
are there any uses for a burette without a stopcock?

You can make the burette work again by cutting off the stopcock and adding an all ptfe stopcock.
Here is an overpriced example http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Detachable-Burette-Stopcock-/26323...

JJay - 12-10-2017 at 23:20

You can also attach a piece of hose and close it with a hose clamp. That's called a "pinchcock."

j_sum1 - 13-10-2017 at 02:21

You can also attach a piece of hose and close it with a hose clamp. That's called a "pinchcock."

Make it even better by adding a pasteur pipette to the end so that you vet nice controlled drips.

Incidentally my first condenser was made from a broken burette.

SWIM - 13-10-2017 at 07:37

That's a good idea, but I just wish it didn't have such an uncomfortable name.

ninhydric1 - 14-10-2017 at 17:43

Interesting uses. So I'll have a 25 and 50 mL burette now. That's nice.

18thTimeLucky - 15-10-2017 at 07:19

Yay! Got some new glassware for my birthday along with a few other bits. This includes my first distillation apparatus so I am looking forward to expanding into some organic chemistry. Most of it is lowish quality with a decent amount of bubbles but I am over the moon. Move out the way jam jars - beakers and conical flasks here I come!

IMG_7281[1].JPG - 2.1MB IMG_7360[1].JPG - 1.8MB

JJay - 23-10-2017 at 19:04

I splurged and got a 1L fritted funnel in 24/40. I probably don't need one this big, actually, but hey, it should be just the thing for chromic anhydride.

IMG_20171023_185553 - Copy.jpg - 395kB

Morgan - 24-10-2017 at 07:13

A fused quartz jam jar jet.

"One of the most interesting of the system oscillations
is the Reynst pot phenomenon. The discovery of this
phenomenon was the result of an accident. F. H. Reynst
dropped a burning match into a near empty can of alcohol.
Instead of simply burning or going out, the can of alcohol
began to rumble at a low frequency. From this beginning,
pulsating combustion became the vocation and avocation to
which Reynst devoted his life." (page 18)
Naval Postgraduate Thesis by Robert Crow entitled Pulsating Combustion Device Miniaturization
http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a035707.pdf

DSC_0010 (1).JPG - 266kB

[Edited on 24-10-2017 by Morgan]

Morgan - 25-10-2017 at 05:47

Some jars for Halloween
https://www.michaels.com/clear-skull-jar-with-lid-by-ashland...

Jam Jar Jet Skulls - If you freeze the clip at the 4 second mark there's quite a bit of green light saturating the frame. I only misted in a few shots of boric acid methanol mix from a sprayer and the rest straight methanol so the effect wasn't as verdant.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-oOYF7EDYk

Pergamon Press - Pulsating Combustion The Collected Works of F. H. Reynst
With a Jam Jar
http://www.pulse-jets.com/phpbb3/download/file.php?id=13590&...

[Edited on 25-10-2017 by Morgan]

VSEPR_VOID - 26-10-2017 at 09:49

Quote: Originally posted by 18thTimeLucky?  
Yay! Got some new glassware for my birthday along with a few other bits. This includes my first distillation apparatus so I am looking forward to expanding into some organic chemistry. Most of it is lowish quality with a decent amount of bubbles but I am over the moon. Move out the way jam jars - beakers and conical flasks here I come!

I remember my first flask and beakers. Good times...

wg48 - 31-10-2017 at 05:24

My 100ml PTFE beakers arrived today about £4.50 each and free postage, excellent value. First test with a dye suggestes they are sintered well. HF chemistry and boiling phosphoric acid now availble to me.

ptfe-beaker1.jpg - 7kB

[Edited on 31-10-2017 by wg48]

The Volatile Chemist - 31-10-2017 at 10:39

Quote: Originally posted by VSEPR_VOID  

First ground glass was (probably) like a first kiss...

But I wouldn't know

18thTimeLucky - 31-10-2017 at 12:11

Quote: Originally posted by The Volatile Chemist  
Quote: Originally posted by VSEPR_VOID  

First ground glass was (probably) like a first kiss...

But I wouldn't know

I can confirm. My girlfriend would not be surprised if I said this too her.

[Edited on 31-10-2017 by 18thTimeLucky?]

Morgan - 31-10-2017 at 12:13

Awhile back I bought this "LECO 550-122 C4303 Carbon Sulphur Analysis Glass Jet Combustion Tube - NOS" on eBay to tinker with.
It's made of quartz but I wasn't expecting the tiny hole in the transition, but still it's useful to me. There's 9 available if for some reason you would want one.

DSC_0004 (10).JPG - 156kB DSC_0010 (2).JPG - 235kB DSC_0013 (1).JPG - 186kB

[Edited on 31-10-2017 by Morgan]

Pages:  1  2    4  5