Sciencemadness Discussion Board

latest glassware purchase

Pages:  1  2    4  

G-Coupled - 25-11-2019 at 14:38

You find Deschem's quality to be OK then? I was wondering if it might be worth springing a bit extra for the ProGlass Chinese stuff which is about 30-40% more money, but the quality is allegedly up there next to Euro brand glass.

S.C. Wack - 25-11-2019 at 16:37

I'm not sure what if any size standards the Chinese follow with their RBFs. They seem incapable of making glass that conforms to US sizes and mantles, and probably Chinese garbage mantles as well. Their other glass is approximately meh.

Thick glass does not equal quality

j_sum1 - 25-11-2019 at 16:53

Deschem seems to be reasonably well regarded. Those with a fetish or need for high end stuff will go for something else. Those who break things and have a budget are happier with Chinese glass and Deschem is one of the better suppliers. Their customer service is good even if the glassware itself is a bit variable.

Nanshinglass and Reacware are also comparable, or maybe slightly ahead of Deschem.

Tellurium - 25-11-2019 at 19:17

Until now I had a good experience with deschem, the quality is quite reasonable. The price is really unbeatable compared to european glassware, at least when buying stuff with ground joints. Nearly all of my ground glass stuff is from deschem, the beaker and stuff like that are cheaper to buy here. I had european 29/32 glassware before, but because deschem only has 24/40 and 24/29 I switched mainly to 24/29. The joints fit well into each other. I heard of some problems when using different parts from different suppliers, but my 29/32 glassware has a good fit with the 24/29 deschem glassware(I'm using joint adapters from VWR and the other 29/32 stuff is mainly Duran/Schott). Maybe I'm just lucky until now or others have been unlucky, but so far the whole experience with deschem glassware is the same as with other glassware.
The only bad thing are the rubber sealings in the thermometer adapters. They are useless after a few runs - especially with oxidizing chemicals in there, but I just use teflon tape instead of the rubber ring ;) Also the thermometers I got maybe two years ago were pretty inaccurate, they showed boiling water to be 90°C. But the new ones I got a week ago seem ok(98°C for boiling water).

[Edited on 26-11-2019 by Tellurium]

[Edited on 26-11-2019 by Tellurium]

Distillation head!

Heptylene - 6-12-2019 at 14:12

Christmas came early this year, I found a very nice partial-takeoff distillation head for $100 on ebay! Shipping + customs taxes puts the total just over $150. Probably the best deal I've ever made considering these retail for around $700 new from a glassware supplier. It's in perfect condition, except for a broken stopcock thread and some rotten stopcock nuts, o-ring and washers.

distillation head.JPG - 1.1MB

This particular design is the one of Rehn and Theilig. (Figure from E. Krell's Handbook of laboratory distillation, 2nd ed., p. 392)

Vapors condense on the "intensive" condenser and fall down on the oblique weir just above sideway joint. This diverts the condensate to the horizontal arm with two stopcocks. Stopcock 1 precisely controls the reflux ratio: the distillate that doesn't go through this stopcock falls back over the weir into the column. Stopcock 2 is there to start or interrupt product withdrawal without modifying the reflux ratio.

The receiving flask is connected to the joint on bottom right, possibly through a condenser to cool the product further. Stopcocks 3 and 4 allow changes of receiver during vacuum distillation without disturbing the column. Hose barb A is connected to a vacuum source, and hose barb B to the atmosphere or some other gas.

Rehn-Theilig design.JPG - 111kB

Sulaiman - 7-12-2019 at 03:18

Looks like a useful piece of glassware, nice condenser.
To satisfy my curiosity, could you show a close-up of the weir/bottom of the column,
I can't see how the refluxed liquid gets back to the column.

Heptylene - 7-12-2019 at 06:29

I'm don't have access to my lab right now, but I'll post close-up shots later. The oblique plate is actually perforated in the middle. It's kind of difficult to see here. The liquid fills up the left side of the small tube with two stopcocks and overflows through the large hole in the plate, and drips down into the column. The reflux-adjusting stopcock has an interesting design for very small flowrates, I'll show it as well.

Heptylene - 9-12-2019 at 12:31

As promised, a picture of the weir inside the colmn. As you can see, the condensate flowing on the walls of the condenser is diverted into the side tube. This also explains the choice of condenser design: A regular Dimroth condenser where condensation drips down from the coil in the center (and not the walls) would not work for this as it would miss the weir.

Also a closeup of the reflux ratio stopcock. Small notches on both sides of the stopcock bore (not chipped, it really is designed like that) allow very small flowrates to be let through when the stopcock would normally be in a "totally closed" position. Unfortunately the thread on this one is broken, so I might replace it with a PTFE one which I will modify to also have those notches. A really nice detail, and I think this would work well on an addition funnel for very slow addition rates.

reflux stopcock detail.JPG - 165kB weir detail.JPG - 616kB

[Edited on 9-12-2019 by Heptylene]

G-Coupled - 9-12-2019 at 14:22

Ooh, very interesting details. Thanks for posting!

SWIM - 9-12-2019 at 14:54

Quote: Originally posted by fusso  
Quote: Originally posted by SWIM  
Just received a 25 plate vacuum jacketed 29/42 Bruun column.
Whats that for?

For distillations.

They're like Oldershaw columns, but the return tubes are outside the central column (but inside the vacuum jacket if it has one.)

They have throughput rates that are very high, and are supposed to be very good for fractionating solvent mixtures like hydrocarbons etc.

I'm probably going to try stripping the jacket off and fixing the internal column. Obviously, I don't have a hope in hell of re-jacketing it, but a 25 plate un-jacketed Bruun would still be better than nothing. If I do this I'll be able to post some pictures of it out of the jacket.

I have had terrible luck with distillation equiment for a year now.
I sold 2 of my best columns because I couldn't resist the profit, and figured I'd get more soon enough. No such luck. 3 have come broken, and 2 were not what I thought they were, but some other items so obscure I'm still not sure exactly what they're for.

Note: I just got a vacuum distillation receiver from the same guy that was broken too.

And I'm waiting on a Widmer column about 2 feet long, also from the same guy...

I wonder how many pieces THAT is gonna be in.

Heptylene - 9-12-2019 at 15:03

Nice find SWIM! Though Oldershaw and similar columns have a large hold-up correct? What kind of scale do you run your distillations at? I imagine for anything less than a few liters of starting material, the holdup must be too great to be viable.

CharlieA - 9-12-2019 at 16:35

@SWIM: It sounds like you need to invest in some glass-blowing equipment!:D Seriously, you might check the local university chemistry department to see if they have a glass blower on staff who can repair some of your things...or if they don't have one on staff, perhaps they can refer you to one.

Sulaiman - 9-12-2019 at 16:59

Quote: Originally posted by Heptylene  
As promised, a picture of the weir inside the colmn.

Thanks, I see it now,
and
the tapered notch in the stopcock can also be found on some (older) burette stopcocks.

SWIM - 9-12-2019 at 20:41

Quote: Originally posted by CharlieA  
@SWIM: It sounds like you need to invest in some glass-blowing equipment!:D Seriously, you might check the local university chemistry department to see if they have a glass blower on staff who can repair some of your things...or if they don't have one on staff, perhaps they can refer you to one.

I've been meaning to pick up an oxygen generator and torch for small repairs, but I suppose I ought to see how much getting the Bruun worked on by somebody competent would cost.
I don't think they're better than Oldershaws, but they're mighty uncommon and I'd Like to have one in working condition.

@Heptylene: I think Bruuns have a lot of holdup, but I haven't used one.
This is literally the only one I've had a chance to buy and it came broken.

I do have flasks and mantles up to 5 liters, but I was planning on using 3 liter because I have spherical mantles in that size and want to try them out.

BTW: here's what a Bruun without the outer vacuum jacket looks like.
Re-reading this post it occurred to me that my descriptions were probably confusing.

Bruun column, no jacket..jpg - 21kB

[Edited on 10-12-2019 by SWIM]

B(a)P - 16-1-2020 at 00:18

My latest purchase, nothing exciting, but all decent quality. I have sworn off cheap glass.

IMG_20200116_190939.jpg - 4.6MB

G-Coupled - 16-1-2020 at 12:32

Quote: Originally posted by B(a)P  
My latest purchase, nothing exciting, but all decent quality. I have sworn off cheap glass.

What troubles were you having with cheaper glassware?

B(a)P - 16-1-2020 at 15:21

The last straw was losing 1 L of dissolved ammonia nitrate and calcium sulfate precipitate all over my bench and floor. I was half way through an ammonia nitrate synthesis and got slightly over zealous stirring with a glass rod, tapped the side wall of the breaker and it broke a piece out of the base of the wall of the breaker.
I have also had issues with cheap glassware cracking when on the hotplate.
I have never had an issue with Simax.

[Edited on 16-1-2020 by B(a)P]

G-Coupled - 16-1-2020 at 19:50

Was it Chinese no name stuff, or a brand like Ninshin or whatever?

B(a)P - 16-1-2020 at 22:37

Chinese no brand, roll the dice and take your chances purchase. It was sold as borosilicate glass.

arkoma - 19-1-2020 at 12:44

A full face organic respirator!!

morganbw - 19-1-2020 at 15:30

Quote: Originally posted by arkoma  
A full face organic respirator!!

Paint store?

arkoma - 19-1-2020 at 17:01

ebay

j_sum1 - 7-3-2020 at 21:45

I am now the proud owner of a range of volumetric flasks: 1×1000mL, 2×500mL and 4×100mL.
Something that I have been meaning to get for a long time. I feel like a scientist now and I can pretend to be half-way accurate in what I do.

Sulaiman - 20-3-2020 at 19:21

I was recently given a 2-neck (34/35 & 19/26) 5L rbf with 700W heating mantle and three retort clamps with stands ... lovely
Unfortunately other parts of this kit have not materialised,
and all of my chemistry stuff is in UK, so I can't do much,
... I've ordered a few things;

. a 19/26 thermometer adapter https://shopee.com.my/19-26-Thermometer-Adapter-Inlet-Adapte...

. a -10 to +110 x0.5 oC mercury thermometer https://shopee.com.my/READY-STOCK-Thermometer-Mercury-Lab-Us...

. 24/35 to 24/29 adapter https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Glass-Reducing-Adapter-From-34-35...

. a cheap Chinese '1000ml Distillation Kit' https://shopee.com.my/Teamwinm-Distillation-Apparatus-Lab-Va...

At least I will have a Vigreux column to compare HETP with my usual Hempel columns.

I already have more than one distillation kit at home, this is just temporary setup.
Now to start a sugar wash fermentation so that I can distill some EtOH for hand sanitizers.
Hopefully I can get product before the covid pandemic dies out.

Sulaiman - 20-3-2020 at 20:23

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  
I am now the proud owner of a range of volumetric flasks: 1×1000mL, 2×500mL and 4×100mL.

just curious ... B, A, USP ? certificate ?

I ask because previously I mostly had second hand volumetric flasks,
I bought a new Pyrex A/USP 100ml vol.flask recently,
the date and batch code are printed on the bottom of the flask,
and from the scilabware website I downloaded the batch certificate.
Interesting ...
the specifications are 100ml +/- 0.08ml In@20oC
the batch certificate gives 100.021ml +/-0.014ml (1 std. dev.)
... much better than the basic spec.
(but maintaining similar accuracy over a few operations is tedious)

Sulaiman - 21-3-2020 at 23:27

Sorry to triple post but I want to WARN FOLKS
DO NOT BUY A THERMOMETER SIMILAR TO THE ONE THAT I BOUGHT FROM THE LINK ABOVE

melting ice reads 0.0oC ... perfect
boiling water OR condensing steam reads 103.5oC ... WTF!

back home in UK I have many thermometers ... this is by far the most inaccurate that I've ever come across.

waiting for a reply from the seller .......

Draeger - 3-4-2020 at 17:28

Just bought all of that.
Let me translate everything in order from top to bottom.

Beaker, low form, boro 3.3, 100ml, no graduation, pack of 10

Standing flask, boro 3.3, ground glass joint 29/32, 250ml

Joint clamp, ground glass joint 29/32

Liebig condenser, boro 3.3, glass olives, 29/32, 400mm

Distilling head with vertical junction, 2 29/32 ground glass joints, 1 14/23 ground glass joint

Universeal thermometer, white-coated, filling Hg, 76mm immersion depth, length 300mm, -10 to +360:2° C

Moldex 8090 particle filter adapter, 2x per pack

PTFE-joint sleeves for ground glass joint 29/32

PTFE tape

Draeger - 8-4-2020 at 10:30

Quote: Originally posted by Draeger  

Just bought all of that.
Let me translate everything in order from top to bottom.

Beaker, low form, boro 3.3, 100ml, no graduation, pack of 10

Standing flask, boro 3.3, ground glass joint 29/32, 250ml

Joint clamp, ground glass joint 29/32

Liebig condenser, boro 3.3, glass olives, 29/32, 400mm

Distilling head with vertical junction, 2 29/32 ground glass joints, 1 14/23 ground glass joint

Universeal thermometer, white-coated, filling Hg, 76mm immersion depth, length 300mm, -10 to +360:2° C

Moldex 8090 particle filter adapter, 2x per pack

PTFE-joint sleeves for ground glass joint 29/32

PTFE tape

I'd thought I could post pictures of everything soon, but apparently the order isn't even processed yet, so I don't know what is going on. I hope I can soon.

First Time Glassware Buy

WGTR - 9-4-2020 at 11:29

I celebrated the relaxation of Texas' glassware laws by making my first real glassware purchase ever.

After spending a lot of time over-thinking what brands to focus on and who to buy from, I decided to go with domestic sellers and stick with reputable brands. I narrowed my search down to this seller on eBay: labstuff16 as he seemed to have most of what I was looking for at this time.

So here are some pictures:

IMG_0625.JPG - 82kB IMG_0626.JPG - 108kB IMG_0627.JPG - 560kB IMG_0629.JPG - 512kB

Everything was very nicely packed and individually bubble-wrapped. The glassware itself is all Chemglass except for the 100ml RBF (Pyrex) and maybe the Liebig condenser (Sigma). They are all used, but all pieces are essentially flawless or show very minor use.

The only possible issue that I can see is that I cannot find a 105 degree bent adapter in the box, and I should have received one. I am going to check my packaging a few more times and check with the seller. It was not sent then I believe it was simply an innocent oversight.

I am still awaiting a cold finger trap and some Keck clips from other sellers.

[Edited on 20-04-09 by WGTR]

j_sum1 - 9-4-2020 at 13:43

Looks lovely, WGTR. The obvious thing missing is eithe a multineck flask or a Claisen adapter. So often you want a spare neck when using the addition funnel.
Have fun with it all.

Sulaiman - 9-4-2020 at 18:18

+1 on the Claisen adaptor, for addition funnel or thermometer
also;
A 24/40 stopper for the addition funnel
(or a more versatile 24/40 gas adapter with stopcock)

A thermometer adapter/well/pocket

A roll of plumbers ptfe tape (or some messy joint grease)

A plain column which can be used as a Hempel column, air condenser, or chromatography column
or
A Vigreux column as even one to two additional theoretical plates make a worthwhile difference
and it also acts as a splash adapter :P

nice-to-have are an NS24-sized bottle brush for the joints and maybe a burette brush for the condenser
... all collected whilst here on holiday/lockdown ... waiting for a 34/35 to 24/29 adapter
5L Rig2.jpg - 2MB

I've been very lucky;
. the 5L rbf with heating mantle and three stands w/clamps were gifted to me
. the Vigreux column, still head adapter, thermometer adapter, thermometer, condenser and receiver adapter were free
as the 1000ml and 500ml flasks of an eBay '1000ml distillation kit' were broken in transit so I got a full refund

I've only had to buy a 14/23 thermometer adapter (in the rbf), a second thermometer, and a water pump,
plus the 34/35 to 24/29 adapter which I'm waiting for.

P.S. the upper thermometer shows the current ambient temperature - in the shade before noon :o

P.P.S. my stands and clamps in UK are cheap Chinese plated steel ... which rusts
if you are considering new stands and clamps I recommend aluminium (as shown above) because they are rust-proof (except for the screws).

[Edited on 11-4-2020 by Sulaiman]

WGTR - 11-4-2020 at 10:55

Thank you for the compliments/comments jsum_1 and sulaiman.

I intend to follow up this order with another one that will include some of the additional items that were mentioned. The round flask with connections on either end is a chromatography reservoir. I am planning to post some more in the Ostwald Process thread, and plan to use that as an oxidation chamber. Right now I'm gearing my glassware purchases towards this project, which is why some things may not appear to go well with each other for general distillations, etc.

WGTR - 13-4-2020 at 14:25

As a followup, it turns out that the seller labstuff16 was out of stock on the 105 degree adapters, and one didn't get sent in the first place. That's why it was missing from the shipment. He sent a refund for this item, and everything turned out well.

[Edited on 20-04-13 by WGTR]

earpain - 16-4-2020 at 10:33

Hi. Can anyone enlighten in regards to the SPD stillhead situation? For example this listing:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Distilling-Head-Short-Path-10-18-Th...

That' s $17.95

Or here we go, the very same labstuff16, Chemglass branded:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chemglass-Distilling-Head-short-pat...
$25.49

Meanwhile most other listings for the same item are $80 - $300. Often closer to $200, and all parties have perfect rating history , etc

WGTR - 16-4-2020 at 13:17

Quote: Originally posted by earpain  
Hi. Can anyone enlighten in regards to the SPD stillhead situation? For example this listing:

That' s $17.95

$25.49

Meanwhile most other listings for the same item are $80 - $300. Often closer to $200, and all parties have perfect rating history , etc

Well, I can vouch for labstuff's packing. It's excellent, and probably overkill. He handled the last order very well in this regard. I just put in another approximately $350 order, and I'll post an "un-boxing" here when it arrives, probably in a week or so.

His pictures are representative of what he sends, and aren't necessarily the same branded items that you see in the picture. It may be Chemglass, Kontes, etc. Read the item listing to be sure. So far, I have received essentially the same items that have been pictured in the listings, in same or better condition than expected.

One thing that I will mention, is that if you see a part number in a listing, do a quick Google search to make sure that it matches the picture in the listing. I've found that a few of his listings for adapters appear to either have the wrong part number listed in the description or the wrong picture. I'm not sure which.

He combines shipping costs for multiple items, but for single items to Texas the shipping for a single item is astronomical ($20+). I would say just put a shopping cart together first and ask him for a rough shipping quote before you purchase if this is an issue for you.

So far as price is concerned, he does accept offers. If you make a good case for a price, he may entertain your offer. I would suggest giving the guy a day or two to reply to questions via eBay, especially if it requires him to actually go look at an item before answering. I suspect that he has a separate day-job.

The item that you are referring to is offered here from Chemglass:
https://chemglass.com/distilling-heads-short-path

The $80-$300 prices are for what I would suspect are brand new items, not used, as the list price is around $200...or, they're just asking too much.

[Edited on 20-04-16 by WGTR]

earpain - 16-4-2020 at 13:41

Quote: Originally posted by WGTR  
Quote: Originally posted by earpain  

That' s $17.95

$25.49

Well, I can vouch for labstuff's packing. It's excellent, and probably overkill. He handled the last order very well in this regard. I just put in another approximately $350 order, and I'll post an "un-boxing" here when it arrives, probably in a week or so.

His pictures are representative of what he sends, and aren't necessarily the same branded items that you see in the picture. It may be Chemglass, Kontes, etc. Read the item listing to be sure. So far, I have received essentially the same items that have been pictured in the listings, in same or better condition than expected.

One thing that I will mention, is that if you see a part number in a listing, do a quick Google search to make sure that it matches the picture in the listing. I've found that a few of his listings for adapters appear to either have the wrong part number listed in the description or the wrong picture. I'm not sure which.

He combines shipping costs for multiple items, but for single items to Texas the shipping for a single item is astronomical ($20+). I would say just put a shopping cart together first and ask him for a rough shipping quote before you purchase if this is an issue for you.

So far as price is concerned, he does accept offers. If you make a good case for a price, he may entertain your offer. I would suggest giving the guy a day or two to reply to questions via eBay, especially if it requires him to actually go look at an item before answering. I suspect that he has a separate day-job.

The item that you are referring to is offered here from Chemglass:
https://chemglass.com/distilling-heads-short-path

The $80-$300 prices are for what I would suspect are brand new items, not used, as the list price is around $200...or, they're just asking too much.

Wow. You have just answered every question I not only had, but didn't even quite yet think to ask. Yeah it's a little odd I put together a 13 item list, added it to my shopping cart.
He sends me a minor discount counter offer , 13 times, for each item.
So it took a while but i clicked 'accept' through them. Now ebay is auto-complaining that I'm not buiying something I committed to, but seller is not responding to requests to combine shipping costs. I'm in Massachusetts, and the shipping cost total right now is about $200, and the items themselves are $100.

In regards to the SPD head
Yes i did precisely that. I cross-referenced against Chemglass's site. It looked right. And I get that some glassware is branded by 'gucci' names, some is chinese, some is unbranded, and that 'chipped' wouldnt be anything to worry aboutl

But for these SPD's it''s a phenomenal difference. Then again many of these sellers also handle tons of other super specialized industries. They may not realize that an SPD is a complicated device, or vice-versa. I guess their bots do their pricing for them sometimes.

Hmm...just noticed that some of the items are now being removed from the shopping cart, due to being outbidded.....

WGTR - 16-4-2020 at 14:19

If you accepted his offers, then you agreed to buy those items, FYI. That's how eBay works. I usually hold off on accepting anything until I decide what all I'm interested in, and how many of each item I would like to make offers for. If you purchase more than one item, then the offers you receive from the seller may be too high, since they are generally for one item only. In that case I may decline an offer or make a counteroffer for multiple items.

If some 24/40 glassware disappeared from your shopping cart, it may be because I just bought it. Sorry...

Just send the seller a message asking for an invoice with combined shipping. It may take a couple of days to get a reply since he has to figure out how many items will fit in a given box and then calculate the shipping for it. For a $100 order I would think shipping would be around $40+ tax, depending on where you are located and how large the items are. The pictures that I posted above was for a $100 order; with shipping and tax that came to about $150. Keep i mind that I live in the deep south, and shipping may be quite a bit cheaper for you.

earpain - 16-4-2020 at 14:25

If you accepted his offers, then you agreed to buy those items, FYI. That's how eBay works. I usually hold off on accepting anything until I decide what all I'm interested in, and how many of each item I would like to make offers for. If you purchase more than one item, then the offers you receive from the seller may be too high, since they are generally for one item only. In that case I may decline an offer or make a counteroffer for multiple items.

If some 24/40 glassware disappeared from your shopping cart, it may be because I just bought it. Sorry...

Sure but, all of the "combine shipping" automation powers of the ebay platform are on the seller's end of the interface, not the buyer's. Most will simply auto-calculate the shipping as one order.

I actually was willing to pay right away, I was at the second to last page of the check out, and still, nothing budging on the shipping cost. They are are just a couple states away from me, too.

hahthe 1L pyrex? no worries buddy , your advice is worth a hundred RBF's =D

WGTR - 16-4-2020 at 14:36

Yeah, I think it's some check box that he forgot to check on his account. For some reason it doesn't allow you to request a total on the purchase with combined shipping. You just have to request and wait for an updated invoice to arrive.

earpain - 16-4-2020 at 14:41

Yeah, I think it's some check box that he forgot to check on his account. For some reason it doesn't allow you to request a total on the purchase with combined shipping. You just have to request and wait for an updated invoice to arrive.

I agree most likely that's all it is. But when reading seller's help section,the way ebay phrases the auto Combine Shipping option is revealing:
"Some buyers are very picky about details. They might notice that their multiple items shipping costs were not combined, and may not return to your store"

So...maybe leaving that box unchecked yields extra profit from...the other sort of buyer?

I probably should have used an account with more history and feedback...on ebay that is. Oh well then. Thanks again

[Edited on 16-4-2020 by earpain]

WGTR - 16-4-2020 at 18:09

I just received another purchase from a different seller on eBay, letterkenny7745.

IMG_0642.JPG - 65kB IMG_0643.JPG - 102kB IMG_0645.JPG - 91kB IMG_0646.JPG - 89kB

These are 1451 Fisher Castaloy 90° double lab clamps. I was a bit surprised when I opened the package. The clamps looked brand new, not used.

Unfortunately, I do not see any other lab equipment in his store at this time.

It was a pretty straightforward eBay purchase and a good experience I would say.

WGTR - 16-4-2020 at 18:27

I purchased a collection of stuff from tommytubez, also on eBay. This was more than a business transaction; I found it to be a pleasant experience. He was very quick to reply to his messages, and a seemingly gracious individual.

I actually purchased only the large filter tube and the collection of Kontes 90° lattice connectors. He threw in a few other things as freebies. There's a 100mL reaction flask in there, in addition to some Schlenk filtration tube and a peptide vessel with some small frit at the bottom.

IMG_0650.JPG - 73kB IMG_0653.JPG - 135kB IMG_0654.JPG - 71kB

It looks like he still has some of the small lattice connectors available. I tried one out and it clamped securely onto 1/2" aluminum rod. They look brand new. In fact, the glassware looked brand new also, even though it is "used".

He mentioned to me in a message that he has a large quantity of brand new Kontes glassware that is not listed in his store right now, because he has way more glassware than he has time to photograph and list individually. He offered to send pictures of the collection if anyone is interested.

[Edited on 20-04-17 by WGTR]

SWIM - 17-4-2020 at 13:40

Got some cows.

DSC04466.JPG - 2.3MB

Now I need to find some cheap land in the coastal range and start a herd.

This glassware should at the very least enable me to distill through rain and wind and weather, hell bent for leather.

All I need is to hire Rowdy Yates for my lab assistant.

clinteastwoodscienceguy.jpg - 9kB

morganbw - 17-4-2020 at 15:20

A cow is on my need to get list. I really could/would make some things easier.

Sulaiman - 17-4-2020 at 20:46

A cow or pig adapter looks useful
but I would like a Perkin triangle ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perkin_triangle
e.g. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PERKIN-INTERMEDIATE-LABORATORY-GL...:PXoAAOSwr9BeWjFP
or https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Multiple-Female-x-Male-Joint-Glas...
which gives more operational flexibility.

earpain - 19-4-2020 at 06:52

Quote: Originally posted by Sulaiman  
A cow or pig adapter looks useful
but I would like a Perkin triangle ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perkin_triangle
e.g. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PERKIN-INTERMEDIATE-LABORATORY-GL...:PXoAAOSwr9BeWjFP
or https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Multiple-Female-x-Male-Joint-Glas...
which gives more operational flexibility.

So basically it's the same concept as the 'ante-room' whenever you visit a space station, yes? Seal valve 1. Open door 2, seal valve 2, close door 2, open door 1, flask replaced. Interior pressure unchanged?

Ok that is smarter than a pig. And a pig/cow is already pretty smart.

SWIM - 19-4-2020 at 12:20

I thought I posted this last night, but I guess not:

You don't need the triangle if you've got a 2-valve addition funnel and a Claisen adaptor and a gas inlet fitting.

Put the funnel on top of the straight arm of the Claisen and the gas inlet adaptor on the bent arm.

Put a piece of hose on the inlet adaptor and clamp it off.

Open the funnel side arm valve and close the funnel's main valve.

Put the whole thing on your distillation receiver and put an RBF on the bottom.

Evacuate and distill until you've got your first fraction and drain it into the flask by opening the funnel's main valve.

Close the main valve and the side-arm valve and then vent the flask through the hose on the gas inlet.

Change flasks, then close the vent and re-establish vacuum in the collection flask and Claisen by slowly opening the funnel's side-arm valve.

I believe this can be referred to as an Agnew/Graft collector.

Refinery - 28-4-2020 at 12:06

5000ml 3-neck rbf.

B(a)P - 30-4-2020 at 22:21

Yesterday I took delivery of a distillation kit, which included a 3 neck RBF. Unfortunately the 3 neck RBF showed up in about 50 pieces. I immediately got in touch with the seller, but I have had no response so far. I will give them till the end of the weekend otherwise I will name and shame. Either way I will let everyone know of the outcome.

earpain - 4-5-2020 at 14:21

Quote: Originally posted by SWIM  
I thought I posted this last night, but I guess not:

You don't need the triangle if you've got a 2-valve addition funnel and a Claisen adaptor and a gas inlet fitting.

Put the funnel on top of the straight arm of the Claisen and the gas inlet adaptor on the bent arm.

Put a piece of hose on the inlet adaptor and clamp it off.

Open the funnel side arm valve and close the funnel's main valve.

Put the whole thing on your distillation receiver and put an RBF on the bottom.

Evacuate and distill until you've got your first fraction and drain it into the flask by opening the funnel's main valve.

Close the main valve and the side-arm valve and then vent the flask through the hose on the gas inlet.

Change flasks, then close the vent and re-establish vacuum in the collection flask and Claisen by slowly opening the funnel's side-arm valve.

I believe this can be referred to as an Agnew/Graft collector.

I'm usually bad at following verbal descriptions of something visual, but in this case yes, true! In fact as long as there is an 'ante-chamber- of some sort, there are many ways to achieve this.
If we think broader for a moment, some well known industries have come up with even smarter solutions:
spring loaded, push-pin screw valves. aka Schraeder, aka the valves on little propane/mapp canisters, aka butane container + butane lighter.

In all cases, both joining parties have a 'only open if pushed in' valve. When screwing on to each other, or simply holding the two flush and pushing against each other, both respective push valves push on each other.
My vacuum pump came with several such adapters and connectors. Some identical threaded connectors have the push pin, some do not. If i wanted to switch flasks, I would just use my adapter......or rather two adapters. No 3rd party(flask/chamber) to evacuate and refill required
Except I've never seen a chemically resistant version of this

[Edited on 4-5-2020 by earpain]

B(a)P - 7-5-2020 at 01:40

Quote: Originally posted by B(a)P  
Yesterday I took delivery of a distillation kit, which included a 3 neck RBF. Unfortunately the 3 neck RBF showed up in about 50 pieces. I immediately got in touch with the seller, but I have had no response so far. I will give them till the end of the weekend otherwise I will name and shame. Either way I will let everyone know of the outcome.

The seller could not replace the broken item, which is a shame because that was of most interest to me. They did however provide a partial refund that I was happy with. I am not so happy that I would advertise their products and not so unhappy that I would condemn their products, but if you want more info PM and I would be more than happy to provide it. All in all not much to tell though.

j_sum1 - 21-5-2020 at 23:50

OK so not glassware but here seemed the best place to post it.

Fresh out of box:

2020-05-22 17.32.30.jpg - 2.3MB

This has been a long-overdue acquisition. Ceramic top. Rated to 550°C. Good sturdy construction. Hours of productive fun await.

And for those interested:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-magnetic-stirrer-high-temp-c...

Sulaiman - 22-5-2020 at 04:35

Although I recently bought a 24/40 '1000ml distillation kit' I came across this;
https://www.lazada.com.my/products/1000ml2429distillation-ap...
Due to the price I could not resist buying it.
Converted that is USD8.02
but after discount vouchers etc. the actual cost was USD6.29 incl. p&p

morganbw - 22-5-2020 at 15:05

Are you still in the area of the Blue Mosque.
I was there for some weeks, work related but still ingrained in my mind.

Draeger - 23-6-2020 at 16:22

Not glassware, but following the reasoning of j_sum1. Finally ordered a hot plate stirrer. It's a cheap Chinese one, but it's all I can afford. Just have to hope it stirs and heats as well as it says in the description and that it won't blow up. I'll post a picture once it gets here. If all goes well the days of me unprofessionally and uneffectively swirling around beakers will soon be over. :D

New Rotavapor with custom glassware!

ekilsawkcalbeoj - 26-6-2020 at 09:12

About a month ago I got a steal of a deal on a Buchi Rotavapor R-200 on eBay.

Unfortunately, the seller didn't package the glassware appropriately and wrapped it in some bubble wrap and placed it in the same box as the heavy base unit. The receiver flask, the condenser, and the end catch assembly were DOA.

Honestly, most of the value was it being a complete package with really interesting, high-quality glassware, so it was a huge disappointment. Luckily the package was insured by FedEx, so he's either going to reimburse me out of that, or refund most of what I paid because of the damage.

I reached out to Adams & Chittenden who said the receiver should be a very routine repair, so should have that back in a month. I then acquired a new condenser, receiver flask, a few new evaporation flasks, and a Woulff bottle (still waiting on that). Here's what it looks like with the replacement parts and some cleaning

I'm really excited to get the fixed receiver flask back. I believe it's 2000ml and I'm not really sure the purpose of the valve on top and the vent on the side. I suspect it's for emptying the receiver without losing vacuum? I haven't been able to find anything else like it to even compare.

I also really like the 2L evaporation flask, it was new in box from a guy who bought out all the old surplus from when Brinkmann was the sole US distributor. The neck on it has an ID of 34mm, same as the steam duct, and it attaches directly to the steam duct, bypassing the adapter while shortening and widening the distillation path for higher boiling point solvents. I wish I could find more like that in different sizes and it makes me sad that Buchi stopped producing them long ago!

Now I'm trying to address the missing base plate insert for the heating bath, the broken end catch, and the lift mechanism. After many a conversation and back and forth with the Buchi technicians, I managed to social engineer several chapters of their official service manual as well as internal repair protocol documents for specific repairs. Those have been a huge help! I think I may just have to buy a new base unit since none of the parts I need are made anymore... I may just get a R-205 while I'm at it too.

Thanks,

Joe

[Edited on 6/26/2020 by ekilsawkcalbeoj]

Ubya - 26-6-2020 at 11:30

bro, use smaller images, they fuck up the page

ekilsawkcalbeoj - 26-6-2020 at 12:32

Quote: Originally posted by Ubya  

Will do, sorry new here!

Ubya - 26-6-2020 at 14:51

Quote: Originally posted by ekilsawkcalbeoj  

Will do, sorry new here!

you were really lucky to get an entire unit for cheap, it was sad to hear that pretty much all the glassware was broken. How much were all the repairs?

ekilsawkcalbeoj - 27-6-2020 at 16:13

Quote: Originally posted by ekilsawkcalbeoj  

Will do, sorry new here!

you were really lucky to get an entire unit for cheap, it was sad to hear that pretty much all the glassware was broken. How much were all the repairs?

I was definitely lucky, especially with the cool receiver. The receiver is fixable and is currently being fixed for about $125. The glass assembly was not, and a replacement cost me about $380. The broken end catch isn't fixable, the glitchy lift is and I was given some dope service documents by a cool Buchi Service Engineer I know, but tbh I'm scared to mess with the tension rod that's holding everything up. The tension rod on my unit doesn't have the screw which is used to adjust the tension. For this reason, I'm thinking it was a third-party repair and can't be adjusted without destroying the part itself.

I'm negotiating down the price with someone who has a very well maintained base unit, and it's looking to be about $325. It pretty much adds up to exactly what the package was insured for, just waiting for FedEx to pay up.

Eddie Current - 28-6-2020 at 14:15

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  
OK so not glassware but here seemed the best place to post it.

Fresh out of box:

This has been a long-overdue acquisition. Ceramic top. Rated to 550°C. Good sturdy construction. Hours of productive fun await.

And for those interested:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-magnetic-stirrer-high-temp-c...

How do you rate the performance?

Does it hit the max temperature, and what is the temperature stability like?

j_sum1 - 29-6-2020 at 02:02

In all honesty I have not pushed it yet. Recovery from busted pelvis, catching up with work and family commitments have all kept me out of the lab to a certain degree. Stirring works a charm and it certainly heats up quickly but I have not got anywhere near its limits on either function. I guess that is a very positive sign.

Draeger - 2-7-2020 at 03:55

Not glassware, but following the reasoning of j_sum1. Finally ordered a hot plate stirrer. It's a cheap Chinese one, but it's all I can afford. Just have to hope it stirs and heats as well as it says in the description and that it won't blow up. I'll post a picture once it gets here. If all goes well the days of me unprofessionally and uneffectively swirling around beakers will soon be over. :D

The stirrer is here.

It came with a broken plug because it was badly packaged. Luckily my father had a spare and is good at soldering so he just attached a new one. Except for that everything was alright.

Stirring works quite well as far as I can tell. Definitely enough for my purposes, at least so far. On fast speed it often splatters, though. Is that normal?

Heating is worse. It takes a while to get to the boiling point of water on half heat and it isn't insulated so the entire device heats up. I'll add some insulation at some point.

I'm unsure what the contraption next to the plate is for. You can take it off, though, so I'll do that until I know what it is. Does anyone know what it is for?

I rate it as alright, hoping the broken plug was a rare event. With two extra stir bars and a discount I got for my first purchase on the website I paid about 52€

[Edited on 2-7-2020 by Draeger]

Abromination - 2-7-2020 at 19:58

@draeger,
Many of these units sold on Amazon either break quickly or have trouble producing temperatures above 100 degrees. When buying a hotplate it is important to make sure the watt rating is above at least 600.

Draeger - 3-7-2020 at 02:43

Quote: Originally posted by Abromination  
@draeger,
Many of these units sold on Amazon either break quickly or have trouble producing temperatures above 100 degrees. When buying a hotplate it is important to make sure the watt rating is above at least 600.

Had to just take the cheapest I found. I'm on an extremely tight budget so units that are actually in any way comparable to western quality aren't in my price range.

Belowzero - 3-7-2020 at 04:18

Stirring works quite well as far as I can tell. Definitely enough for my purposes, at least so far. On fast speed it often splatters, though. Is that normal?

I'm unsure what the contraption next to the plate is for. You can take it off, though, so I'll do that until I know what it is. Does anyone know what it is for?

[Edited on 2-7-2020 by Draeger]

The splattering is normal, depends a bit of the type/size of the magnet and the size of your container.

Its a built in lab stand, used to clamp glassware, quite convenient that it's built in actually.
Usually the clamps look like this:

Or if you are building a larger setup it can be used to connect it to other stands to stabilize the whole.

[Edited on 3-7-2020 by Belowzero]

[Edited on 3-7-2020 by Belowzero]

CharlieA - 3-7-2020 at 15:57

From the looks of the clamp, it looks like it might be multi-functional; perhaps to hold a thermometer/thermocouple probe/small hoses (to add a gas perhaps.

DN 150 reactor

Heptylene - 5-7-2020 at 02:11

I just bought a 4 liter reactor + 5 neck lid on a local website for $80! Came without any damage or chips. It has a large "DN 150" duran flange and the glass is really thick. The ID is about 14.5 cm, OD about 16 cm, 30 cm tall + 15 cm for the lid.

Second photo shows it connected to a vacuum pump to test it.

I have some vacuum and plasma experiments planned for this, but not many idea chemistry-wise. Perhaps a chlorate cell? Does anyone have large-scale reaction suggestions?

reactor1.jpg - 222kB reactor2.jpg - 270kB

Sulaiman - 5-7-2020 at 02:39

There are so many uses,
Dessicator, Digester, electrochemistry, vivarium, ...

First you could consider standardising 'tubing' diameters;
Glass tubing for gas/liquid in/out, thermometer or thermocouple shafts, and maybe overhead stirrer.

As the cheap Chinese overhead stir shafts are 7mm diameter,
maybe 7mm is an option.

7mm od x 5mm id glass tubes could also be used to sheath electrical wires etc.

Might reduce the total number of stopper-adapter pieces accumulated

The ptfe (with internal rubber O-ring) bearing stoppers for the overhead stirrers may be useful.

Dedicated all-glass adapters are preferable due to inertnes,
but glass tubes are cheap enough to try glass bending, stretching and sealing ideas
- without regretting failures

[Edited on 5-7-2020 by Sulaiman]

wg48temp9 - 5-7-2020 at 02:48

I just bought a 4 liter reactor + 5 neck lid on a local website for $80! Came without any damage or chips. It has a large "DN 150" duran flange and the glass is really thick. The ID is about 14.5 cm, OD about 16 cm, 30 cm tall + 15 cm for the lid.

Second photo shows it connected to a vacuum pump to test it.

I have some vacuum and plasma experiments planned for this, but not many idea chemistry-wise. Perhaps a chlorate cell? Does anyone have large-scale reaction suggestions?

You could kill two birds with one stone and try to make coated electrodes by sputtering lead dioxide on to them or just lead with very low pressure oxygen. You will need a microwave oven transformer with a current limiting ballast, preferably rectified for the HT power supply.

Heptylene - 5-7-2020 at 04:43

Sulaiman: Overhead stirring sounds good. Definitely needed for reactions as I doubt my stirbars are large enough for this beast of a reactor. I already have a glass stirrer rod with an impeller which, maybe it fits the chinese stirrer bearings!
I also like the idea of having glass tube to pump liquid in and out. I have a 29/32 thermometer adapter with a teflon joint that actually fits 10 mm tubing, so I might get a couple more for inlet and outlet.

wg48: I actually already have an MMO anode, so lead dioxide is not needed at least for chlorates. Besides I think PbO2 anodes can be made by electrolysis methods. Do you know if the sputtered ones have an advantage over the ones made by electrolysis?

I might try sputtering anyway. Do you know if a roughing pump is sufficient for this? I'm repairing a 2-stage rotary vane pump at the moment, hopefully it will pull down to 1e-5 atm :).

wg48temp9 - 5-7-2020 at 06:14

wg48: I actually already have an MMO anode, so lead dioxide is not needed at least for chlorates. Besides I think PbO2 anodes can be made by electrolysis methods. Do you know if the sputtered ones have an advantage over the ones made by electrolysis?

I might try sputtering anyway. Do you know if a roughing pump is sufficient for this? I'm repairing a 2-stage rotary vane pump at the moment, hopefully it will pull down to 1e-5 atm :).

No I do not know if anodes made by sputtering or other vacuum techniques have an advantage. I can say that potentially they can produce unique materials or unusual forms of compounds that may have desirable properties for anodes. I thought you just wanted to experiment (play)

Sputtering requires some gas pressure to works so a roughing pump may be fine. With single stage pump I have evaporated tungsten from a tungsten rod electrically heated by the current from a one turn secondary of a toroidal transformer. The initial effect is to getter the residual gases and hence improve the vacuum. The film formed was a transparent blue colour (probably an oxide) with good adherence to glass.

You can also improve the vacuum by making a discharge between aluminium electrodes. That also gives an indication of the vacuum. The more defuse discharge covering more of the electrodes indicates a better vacuum. A dark discharge indicates a good vacuum. No discharge a very good vacuum or no vacuum.

You can connect up as much of your glass as you have in a line and create discharge from end to end. it will even discharge thru a wash bottle filled molecular sieves or plastic tubing.

Make certain the last electrode is earthed and is the electrode nearest the pump or the discharge will use the pump as an electrode. That's how I discovered the discharge can go thru a wash bottle filled with sieves I was using as a trap for oil vapour from the pump and water vapour from the chamber.

PS: I found a diagram illustrating how a discharge changes with pressure. Note you only get that type of display with a ballasted DC supply.

Gaseous-discharge-as-the-pressure-is-reduced-FDS-Faraday-Dark-Space-CDS-Crookes-(1).jpg - 46kB

[Edited on 7/5/2020 by wg48temp9]

Eddie Current - 5-7-2020 at 13:13

A vacuum drying pistol

vacpistol.PNG - 1.1MB

arkoma - 6-7-2020 at 11:44

buchner.jpeg - 52kB

Gift from my friend in California

Draeger - 6-7-2020 at 13:22

Quote: Originally posted by arkoma  

Gift from my friend in California

Wow, what a nice friend. Those things are surprisingly expensive.

outer_limits - 9-7-2020 at 02:04

2 thiele tubes, capillary tubes, and shitload (~40) of those small amber storage bottles.

Thiele tubes and capillary bought from Nashinglass on ebay - I have to admit that the package was very well packed and secured

glass.png - 266kB

Draeger - 9-7-2020 at 02:32

Quote: Originally posted by outer_limits  
2 thiele tubes, capillary tubes, and shitload (~40) of those small amber storage bottles.

Thiele tubes and capillary bought from Nashinglass on ebay - I have to admit that the package was very well packed and secured

How much did it all cost?

outer_limits - 9-7-2020 at 02:43

Thiele and capillary tubes costed 50$ (including shipping)
The bottles costed 0.75$ each

Mateo_swe - 14-7-2020 at 11:13

Is that 25, 50 or 100ml bottles?
That was a good price for 40 of those bottles.
That type is very good, autoclavable, can handle up to 140°C and holds most chemicals including acids like HCL.
They usually are little more expensive compared to other flasks.

outer_limits - 14-7-2020 at 13:58

Each is 100ml. The price was a bit surprising so I've made a small order first and after checking if everything is all right I ordered rest of them.
I was looking for this type and volume - it is ideal for my small scale experiments purposes.

Eddie Current - 21-7-2020 at 23:30

I received some items from Laboy in China today, and I can say that it is fairly high quality glassware. Recommended from that aspect.

The internal aspect of order was well packed, and the exception is that they utilise incredibly flimsy cardboard for their outer packing, so buyer beware if they are looking at purchasing some of the more delicate pieces from this place. No pieces were broken, but I don't know how.

pic1.PNG - 941kBpic2.PNG - 393kB

JJay - 24-8-2020 at 20:05

I picked up an auger funnel, a backup 90mm 1L pore plate funnel (which is very high quality and rings like a bell), and some microscale odds and ends. I don't actually need a new pore plate funnel, but my current one is one of my most heavily used pieces of glassware, and I don't want to have to wait for months if I break it.

augerfunnel.jpg - 142kB porefunnel.jpg - 138kB 14-10.jpg - 140kB

[Edited on 25-8-2020 by JJay]

Sulaiman - 25-8-2020 at 02:20

Not only have I never seen a pressure equalised auger funnel,
I never knew that they existed.
Please video the use of it.

JJay - 25-8-2020 at 02:38

I'll see what I can do. I don't actually have a purpose for it yet, but I'm sure I'll come up with one.

Fery - 3-9-2020 at 02:47

Distillation head for taking off reflux at desired ratio, received just today. 1 good supplier was able to obtain it for me, it was freshly made in lab glass factory. 29/32 ground glass joints for attaching flasks and 14/23 for thermometer (dimensions used widely in my country).

IMG_20200903_123155_0_sm.jpg - 26kB

outer_limits - 3-9-2020 at 03:06

That is a nice one. Out of curiosity - how much cost such a piece of glassware made on demand?

Fery - 4-9-2020 at 22:32

Hi outer_limits, the reseller asked for 8500 CZK which is approx 320 EUR. If I had contacts directly in glassware factory the price would be lower, but I was really very happy that this reseller was able to obtain this rare piece of glass for me. He has been waiting for 3 months using an official way without any sign of result, so then he asked directly the glass worker (good old contact) then he got the glass immediately. I would pay even more, glass is always much more valuable than money :) I believe that the most difficult part in creating the piece was to create the loop. Connecting 2 ends of glass to create 1 connection is not so difficult, but creating 2 connections simultaneously (connecting 4 ends) is a masterpiece (I cannot imagine how to do it using only 2 hands, perhaps it required 2 workers to do it synchronously).

[Edited on 5-9-2020 by Fery]

Heptylene - 14-9-2020 at 11:35

I finally have a heating mantle and it works like a charm!

heating mantle.JPG - 222kB

VancouverBackyardChemist - 14-9-2020 at 15:22

The glassware I ordered from Aliexpress arrived a few days ago. Deschem's famous foam coffin works like a charm every time. Also ordered a few glass beakers and graduated cylinders to start off my home chemistry glassware set.

IMG_20200914_135739.jpg - 3MBIMG_20200914_135917.jpg - 3.2MB

B(a)P - 16-9-2020 at 15:20

Not glass, but I just received a new 50 mL crucible from Science Equip, very happy with it.

IMG_20200917_061322.jpg - 4.5MB

Fyndium - 16-9-2020 at 21:02

Quote: Originally posted by Fery  
Distillation head for taking off reflux at desired ratio, received just today. 1 good supplier was able to obtain it for me, it was freshly made in lab glass factory. 29/32 ground glass joints for attaching flasks and 14/23 for thermometer (dimensions used widely in my country).

Reading this I remember using following setup for reflux with items I had on hand:

- Packed column with raschigs
- Claisen head with thermometer on straight end and reflux condenser on bend
- Take-off valve with ground joints

With this I had total control of reflux, the condensate pooled in the takeoff valve and rest poured back to the column.

This could also be done with clevenger or dean-stark, especially with the smaller volume ones which a smaller cuts could be made.

[Edited on 17-9-2020 by Fyndium]

itsallgoodjames - 1-10-2020 at 14:51

Most recent deschem order. The foam sarcophagus worked well, as always

20201001_181220.jpg - 3MB

My old condenser column broke and I needed more round bottom flasks, so I decided to get a whole distillation apparatus, as it was cheaper than a Liebig condenser and two flasks. Plus I got some 500ml beakers, because I didn't have anything over 350ml

[Edited on 1-10-2020 by itsallgoodjames]

teodor - 5-10-2020 at 03:24

I was unable to fractionate some of my small-scales synthesis with usual full-scale separate Vigreux column and Claisen head. Feeling of unfinished jobs is devastational - my fridge contains several bottles of crude, not purified products. So, today eventually I've got this.

new1.jpg - 45kB

paulll - 5-10-2020 at 16:01

head.jpg - 17kB
Isn't she a beauty?
OK so it's nothing big, but the number of times I've decided I'm going to try extracting limonene only to remember that my only stillhead is my vigreux is getting a bit silly so I'm glad this showed up.

MidLifeChemist - 6-10-2020 at 04:33

Quote: Originally posted by paulll  

Isn't she a beauty?
OK so it's nothing big, but the number of times I've decided I'm going to try extracting limonene only to remember that my only stillhead is my vigreux is getting a bit silly so I'm glad this showed up.

Congrats! New glassware is always worth celebrating, no matter how small

Cou - 22-10-2020 at 20:45

i ordered 2 erlenmeyer flasks from laboyglass.com on Oct 18, 2020 and still hasn't been shipped.

B(a)P - 9-11-2020 at 01:18

Not glassware, but today I took delivery of my first vacuum pump. Hello WFNA.

Tsjerk - 9-11-2020 at 01:45

Quote: Originally posted by Cou  
i ordered 2 erlenmeyer flasks from laboyglass.com on Oct 18, 2020 and still hasn't been shipped.

Their website looks nice, where are they located? Their prices look like they sell Chinese glass with a markup. Do you know if they have their own warehouse or are they drop shipping?

Cou - 9-11-2020 at 08:48

Dual manifold schlenk line

Anschütz-Thiele receiver/fraction cutter

Heptylene - 18-11-2020 at 09:23

I just got an Anschütz-Thiele receiver, which is the german version of the Perkin triangle. I've been trying to find one for some time now since they cost an arm when new. Thankfully, ebay exists and an opportunity finally presented itself :)

This is actually a really useful piece of equipment: it allows the collection of many fractions during vacuum distillation without having to bring the whole apparatus back to atmospheric pressure. Normally you are limited to 3-4 fractions if you're using a cow receiver, but not with this!

Attachment: php8qQ8vw (591kB)
This file has been downloaded 295 times

Pages:  1  2    4