Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Nitrogen adds to Double Bond

xxxxx - 6-1-2017 at 11:34

Methacrolin is added dropwise to Pthalimide in alcohol with some NaOEt and warmed at 40 - 50°C for 2 hrs to form a-methyl-B-pthalimidopropionaldehyde. Y ca: 80% (F. e. s. O. A. Moe and D. T. Warner, Am. Soc. 71, 1251 (1949)).

I wanted to post this reference so I could ask if this reaction might be general to all alkenes.

I can´t be certain since the aldehyde group is electron withdrawing, but the nitrogen adds to the second carbon away from the aldehyde, maybe because it is less hindered.

img006.jpg - 1.5MB

morsagh - 6-1-2017 at 14:37

This is conjugated alkene bond with aldehyde, so i guess that mechanism is 1,4 addition of nucleophille.

zed - 6-1-2017 at 17:40

No, not all Alkenes. It is a special case.

A similar reaction is found in the reaction of Phenethylamine with EthylAcrylate.

Crowfjord - 6-1-2017 at 18:02

It's definitely a 1,4 addition and it works due to the electronic withdrawing nature of the carbonyl. Also known as a Michael addition or Micheal reaction.

Eddygp - 7-1-2017 at 07:02

Quote: Originally posted by Crowfjord  
It's definitely a 1,4 addition and it works due to the electronic withdrawing nature of the carbonyl. Also known as a Michael addition or Micheal reaction.

I thought Michael was reserved exclusively for enolate (1,4-)conjugate addition, other Nu are just referred to as conjugate addition or 1,4-addition. I can be wrong.

PHILOU Zrealone - 7-1-2017 at 07:06

N adds to double bond...and so what...

It happens in a lot of examples into chemistry:
C=O bond addition
-imine formation from R-NH2
-amine formation from R-NH-R'
-oxyme formation from H2N-OH
-hydrazone and azine formation from H2N-NH2
-nitrimide formation from H2N-NO2
C=NH bond addition
-hydrazine, hydrazone and azine formation from H2N-NH2
C=C bond addition
-very common into aromatic serie like NO2(+) nitration, diazo coupling
-direct addition of HNO3, NxOy or Cl-NO or Cl-NO2 onto alkenes --> nitroso, nitro, nitrosonitro, dinitro, nitritonitro

Crowfjord - 7-1-2017 at 07:42

Quote: Originally posted by Eddygp  

I thought Michael was reserved exclusively for enolate (1,4-)conjugate addition, other Nu are just referred to as conjugate addition or 1,4-addition. I can be wrong.

Whoops, yeah you're right. Michael reaction doesn't include nitrogen or oxygen nucleophiles. The mechanism of addition is pretty much the same though. Michael Addition

xxxxx - 7-1-2017 at 15:34

Here is another paper describing the addition of nitrogen to a double bond. I'm not certain it would be general to all alkenes because of the ether linkage.

img007.jpg - 1.1MB

DDTea - 7-1-2017 at 16:57

Searching for terms like "carboamination" and "hydroamination" will turn up a lot of methodology, with varying scopes and utility. Anti-Markovnikov hydroamination of alkenes remains an important research goal. This review is probably a good starting point: http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/cr0306788

xxxxx - 8-1-2017 at 11:53

So the process might work with ethylene or propylene on a benzene ring with an electron-withdrawing subsituent or just a benzene ring if a base of suffiencient strength is used?

Maroboduus - 8-1-2017 at 12:18

Methacrolein in that first diagram seems to have five bonds on the central carbon and an extra hydrogen atom.

WTF?

BTW: You should read some of this guy's other posts.

[Edited on 8-1-2017 by Maroboduus]

zed - 10-1-2017 at 15:35

No. Why don't you just tell the guys what you are trying to do?