Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Looking to buy 500g of mercury in Melb

JJWW - 10-1-2017 at 03:15

Hi people , I'm looking to buy about 500g of mercury . I need to to make some large mercury switchs for a large conveyor system .if anyone has any Leeds I would appreciate it very much .

j_sum1 - 10-1-2017 at 04:24

haines.com.au has 500g for $123 + delivery. You will need to create an account to see prices. For something like Hg however, I would give them a phone call first.

http://www.austscientific.com.au/product/chemicals-a-to-m/ stocks it but I don't know prices and again you would need to contact them.

Actually, my first stop would be rungood labs http://www.rungoodlabs.com/ -- they will be sure to track some down for you, are likely to be a good price and you will get good service.

Amos - 10-1-2017 at 07:17

I know diddi has more than a fair bit, not sure if he's interested in selling, though.

Chemetix - 10-1-2017 at 12:06

I have quite a lot of mercury switches from industrial applications. I'm in melb.
More than happy to help.

unionised - 10-1-2017 at 12:18

Why not use a small mercury switch?

adk - 15-1-2017 at 19:33

I have a quantity of Mercury available and would be happy for you to take it off my hands. It is fresh, non contaminated and packed in polypropylene containers.

send an e-mail with a formal order

sales@argentscientific.com

(located in Sydney and can ship Australia wide via TNT Road Express)

JJWW - 19-1-2017 at 00:10

Thanks every one for your help I think I might it sorted . A massive thanks to Andrew for argentscientific for his help

CalAm - 19-1-2017 at 07:21

Just for future reference's http://www.austscientific.com.au require a EUD and ask $307 + $30.70 GST so $337.70 for 500g LR grade mercury.

Bert - 19-1-2017 at 17:32

It could be cheaper to just look at eBay for mercury contactors...

Last I looked in USA, at least, there were plenty available as used or new surplus, new old stock or as brand new (expensive!) devices.

Unless you want the design and fabrication of such a device as a learning experience, then go for it.

What kind of voltage and how much curent needs to be switched?

adk - 19-1-2017 at 20:56

Quote: Originally posted by Bert  
It could be cheaper to just look at eBay for mercury contactors...

Last I looked in USA, at least, there were plenty available as used or new surplus, new old stock or as brand new (expensive!) devices.

Unless you want the design and fabrication of such a device as a learning experience, then go for it.

What kind of voltage and how much curent needs to be switched?

Dangerous Goods shipping to Australia is extraordinarily expensive. Also, we have some pretty tight rules surrounding the use, importation and sale of Mercury.

Bert - 19-1-2017 at 22:34

Oz has for a century + had mines, refineries/factories, railroads, more recently perhaps large modern farms, big buildings with large HVAC equipment- These industrial applications all have used heavy draw industrial electrical equipment of the type requireing contactors to allow a decent life span for switching equipment. You can't find any used Mercury contactors on the whole island? Or it is forbidden to re sell them?

How do the modern businesses buy such things? They are still in common use world wide. If Hg is not allowed in Oz, how did you replace such switches?

Chemetix - 19-1-2017 at 23:23

Funny thing that- you can practically cover Mt Isa in as much lead and cadmium as you want, but import some mercury and you might as well be treated like you are trying to eradicate a people.

Anyway, I've got a hundred or more of these, why would you try to make your own? They are industrial switches, not sure what they came from.

HgSwitch.JPG - 420kB

j_sum1 - 20-1-2017 at 00:53

http://www.dx.com/s/mercury+switch
If anyone is still interested. I think the larger ones are better value for mercury content. Also available on eBay but watch the prices. I have not had any shipping issues with these.

Granted it is not 500g and if you are after Hg it is pretty expensive. But the OP was about tilt switches and like Chemetix, I cannot see why you would go past these.

adk - 20-1-2017 at 07:14

Oz has for a century + had mines, refineries/factories, railroads, more recently perhaps large modern farms, big buildings with large HVAC equipment- These industrial applications all have used heavy draw industrial electrical equipment of the type requireing contactors to allow a decent life span for switching equipment. You can't find any used Mercury contactors on the whole island? Or it is forbidden to re sell them?

How do the modern businesses buy such things? They are still in common use world wide. If Hg is not allowed in Oz, how did you replace such switches?

Simply? They don't. We don't manufacture anything here in Australia that uses Mercury as a general rule. All chlor-alkali plants in Australia have been based on membrane technology for a long time and Gold containing ore is processed via the NaCN method. Dentistry switched to polymers & composite fillings and (new) amalgam fillings are quite rare.

Ironically, most exposure to Mercury in Australia comes from burning coal. We still burn plenty of that stuff. We also use a lot (shit tonnes) of fluorescent bulbs (contain Mercury).

Panache - 21-1-2017 at 05:28

The simple answer is mercury is ubiquitous in Australia. The problem with finding mercury here is the people finding it, they're no good at it.
Admittedly I have a better than normal knack for understanding what's in things and have had a long term project running that requires much mercury (not much by mining standards though only about 15kg), so when it crosses my path...

Mercury contactors are still in high use here and although they are very reliable, meaning they don't get replaced much, the equipment that uses them does get replaced often as it is generally dirty dusty hot etc, no good for relability.
So don't look for the contactor look for the bit of kit, that is constantly being gumtreed with ads like 'free if you pickup'

adk - 2-2-2017 at 19:31

Attn: JJWW

I have sent you an e-mail about your order but have not received a reply.

A