Sciencemadness Discussion Board

why is MEK schedule 2

BILLBUILDS - 11-3-2017 at 22:06

why is methyl ethyl ketone on the scheduled list of chemicals
? i dont understand why and I've read a lot of rhodium's archives ave never read its name so im just confused

JJay - 11-3-2017 at 23:43

It can be used for purifying cocaine: http://articles.latimes.com/1989-12-05/news/mn-168_1_u-s-che...

Potassium permanganate is on the list for the same reason, not to mention hydrogen chloride gas and lots of other compounds. Also, you mean List 2, right? List 2 is not very tightly controlled, but Schedule 2 substances I believe are available only with a DEA permit or a doctor's prescription, with the doctor's actual signature.

Come to think of it, you live in Australia, right? I know nothing about the drug laws there.

[Edited on 12-3-2017 by JJay]

j_sum1 - 12-3-2017 at 02:49

This (link below) has been posted a number of times. I haven't been able to find an update (I should probably try a bit harder.)
In Aus, MEK is on the "alert" list: list III in this document. That means that there are no restrictions or paperwork required but that LEO will have suspicions raised if they happen to notice a number of items on that list with no obvious legitimate use.

It does make for some interesting reading. In particular, list II has a number of useful reagents: some that I think a well-stocked lab shouldn't be without. But again there are no actual restrictions on ownership. The sale of these items is watched and an EUD is required for non-commercial customers.

IMO, purchasing anything on list I is pretty much asking for trouble. Although there are legitimate uses for some of these. If I absolutely needed something on that list I would synthesise them if I possibly could. If I could not synthesise and needed to buy, then I would not be putting any in storage. I would purchase for a specific project and use it straight away -- and have evidence of what I did with it.

As an aside, I have no idea what thorium is doing on a list of drug precursors.

If anyone has more up to date info on the status of chemicals and equipment in Australia, I would love to have it. But, BILLBUILDS, none of the US lists or schedules apply here.

Attachment: end user declaration.pdf (242kB)
This file has been downloaded 335 times

[edit]
It appears, although old, the 2008 version is the most recent version of this document. It was due for review in 2009 but I cannot find anything more recent. I do find government departments citing this document as recently as 2016. So, I guess it is still considered current.
http://chemistryaustralia.org.au//Content/drugs.aspx

[Edited on 12-3-2017 by j_sum1]

Chemetix - 12-3-2017 at 03:54

Thorium is listed to stop those who want to make meth the vintage way.

You get to attend to the tedious process of running a tube furnace while reeking of phenylacetic acid and singing along to REO speedwagon on the radio. Once you've made your BMK in low yield you can then spend days with a Leukart type reaction and the mess that comes with trying to clean it up. But you also get to make the drop on a chopper, wearing a red bandana and leather jacket, maybe some rayban wayfarers and a droopy mustache.

[Edited on 12-3-2017 by Chemetix]

biker-crotch sml.jpg - 61kB

j_sum1 - 12-3-2017 at 03:58

Whoa. That's too many aussie cultural references for an import like me. :D

S.C. Wack - 12-3-2017 at 09:58

1988 UN convention table 2.

Magpie - 12-3-2017 at 10:34

Quote: Originally posted by Chemetix  
Thorium is listed to stop those who want to make meth the vintage way.

You get to attend to the tedious process of running a tube furnace while reeking of phenylacetic acid and singing along to REO speedwagon on the radio....

[Edited on 12-3-2017 by Chemetix]

nice references, Chemetix:D

Didn't Walter set up a tube furnace in Jesse's basement? I assume he was using the thorium catalyst in that furnace.

Chemetix - 12-3-2017 at 13:17

Quote:

Didn't Walter set up a tube furnace in Jesse's basement? I assume he was using the thorium catalyst in that furnace.

Yeah, he did; he also wanted a tank of pure hydrogen, produced by electrolysis no less. At least the writers understood the need for a reduction afterwards.
But that's what bugged me about the series, the little inconsistencies like having the capability to run a tube furnace, and even a hetrogenous catalytic reduction, then being absolutely stumped for a synthesis to make a simple amine later on. It's a TV show what should I expect?

And I don't get the MEK ban either, it sounds completely token or unnecessary.

Melgar - 12-3-2017 at 16:08

Quote: Originally posted by Chemetix  
Yeah, he did; he also wanted a tank of pure hydrogen, produced by electrolysis no less. At least the writers understood the need for a reduction afterwards.
But that's what bugged me about the series, the little inconsistencies like having the capability to run a tube furnace, and even a hetrogenous catalytic reduction, then being absolutely stumped for a synthesis to make a simple amine later on. It's a TV show what should I expect?

And I don't get the MEK ban either, it sounds completely token or unnecessary.

I guess the writers just needed some plot device that serves a specific purpose. If I were to rewrite it with the same plot, I'd probably swap out "methylmene" for phenylacetic acid, since that's at least somewhat hard to make starting from easily-obtained precursors. However, I suspect they used methylamine for that purpose, because it'd be the last step, the "missing piece to the puzzle" so to speak.

BILLBUILDS - 12-3-2017 at 16:13

i guess we wont find out. maybe it is just a really really good solvent for cocaine

CalAm - 15-3-2017 at 08:56

I would say it has to do the production of meth as a certain hardware shop near me has told me before they refuse to order it in along with xylene and toluene due to quiet a few people using it when cooking. However when i went to a richer side of town about 25km away same business different shop location and they are loaded with M.E.K and toluene not to mention xylene too.

I guess the only other reason could be M.E.K.P ? But you would think A.P would be more of an issue if that was the case.