Sciencemadness Discussion Board

concentrating under vacuum

LD5050 - 15-3-2017 at 09:21

I have a mixture of isopropyl alcohol, water, and oil i want to collect the oil but don't want to get the mixture too hot by means of distilling at atmospheric pressure. I don't have a cold trap or dry ice or anything so i know I wont be able to condense the alcohol vapors so should i just hook my vacuum right to the flask and suck them through the vacuum will this work?

CharlieA - 15-3-2017 at 16:38

Why can't you just allow the isopropanol and water to evaporate at room temperature?
Do you know the boiling point of the oil at atmospheric pressure?
What is the oil?
Do you know how sensitive the oil if to temperature?
Sorry I have so many questions! :)
But maybe I can come up with some suggestions later.

JJay - 15-3-2017 at 17:51

I usually try to avoid oil mixtures containing oil and alcohol, but I've found that it is usually possible to distill them off at atmospheric pressure without a vacuum without losing much product (note that some things will steam distill with water in unacceptable proportions). Can you distill off the alcohol and water first at atmospheric pressure? Or maybe salt out the water and just distill out the alcohol?

Simply evaporating them under the pump will probably work but will cause wear and tear on the pump. I would probably try condensing the alcohol vapors even under reduced pressure - the boiling point of isopropyl alcohol really isn't that low. Also, leaving alcohol and water in your pump oil is a bad idea; water can cause corrosion and alcohol can cause lower viscosity. Both have a vapor pressure and will lower the ultimate minimum pressure of your pump if allowed to remain in the oil.

[Edited on 16-3-2017 by JJay]

Tsjerk - 15-3-2017 at 22:47

This works quite well with a water aspirator without a cold trap as the vapors will be immediately diluted with lots of water.

Liamatpm - 22-3-2017 at 16:21

Are you talking about a vacuum pump or a water type pump or a vacuum cleaner?

Tsjerk - 23-3-2017 at 01:07

I'm talking about a water stream type pump. A normal pump will also work but the solvent will degrade the membranes or in case of a oil pump dissolve in the oil.

Liamatpm - 23-3-2017 at 02:27

Tsjerk I figured but I wasn't very sure.

LD5050 - 23-3-2017 at 07:21

A vacuum cleaner for a lab pump?! has anyone really done this??

Liamatpm - 23-3-2017 at 09:55

Quote: Originally posted by LD5050  

I've seen some videos on highly modified vaccum cleaners. It's a waste of money, resources and time but some people do it.

Geocachmaster - 23-3-2017 at 11:44

Quote: Originally posted by LD5050  

How about Tdep before his new one:)

Youtube video

I use one with some success, only for filtration though. The addition of a vacuum cleaner speeds up filtration quite a bit, but the excessive noise produced by my 1960s vacuum means I use it only on rare occasions. I'm not sure how low a pressure is actually produced, I can't imagine it's very low (not less than 400mmhg, ethanol will boil at around 62C for reference). Probably a no go for vacuum distillation.

Soon I will buy a water aspirator, much better:D

Praxichys - 23-3-2017 at 12:08

Easy. Just add a bunch of table salt and the isopropanol will layer out and take the oil with it. Decant the isopropanol layer off the water/salt and evaporate the alcohol with gentle warming.