Sciencemadness Discussion Board

What states still sell Toluene?

Acuyo - 21-3-2017 at 14:24

I haven't seen this stuff in the US since about 06, mostly CA but I've looked in other states too.

It's very useful as a fuel burn-rate "modulator" (octane booster), which is why I'm so curious..

anewsoul - 21-3-2017 at 14:34

Toluene is really hard to find now for whatever reason. Isn't the only reason its regulated is because stupid people sniffing it to get high or something?

Anyways, I got my toluene from a small family owned Ace hardware store that was still selling gallon containers of toluene for like $20. So maybe look for smaller hardware stores, maybe Ace? Although I've noticed other Ace hardware stores weren't selling it but its worth a shot.

Oh yeah this was Florida

[Edited on 21-3-2017 by anewsoul]

JJay - 21-3-2017 at 14:39

Sherwin Williams sells it, but you have to give them your name, address, and intended purpose.

I just told the cashier it was for chemistry and had no problems. They also sell muriatic acid, denatured ethanol, pigments, acetone, and a variety of other things you might want.

[Edited on 21-3-2017 by JJay]

A Halogenated Substance - 21-3-2017 at 14:46

In Tennessee, Lowes sells paint thinner/paint brush cleaner (Jasco brand) that contains Toluene.

Sadly, the product also contains methanol, ethanol, acetone, aminoethanol, DCM, 'potassium salts', and xylene along with some 'polymer goop' that can pass right through coffee filters...

If you really wanted to, you could use water washings to separate the DCM, xylene, and toluene from the rest of the composition.

Then, you'd have to likely use a fractional distillation to bypass any azeotropes...

Hopefully you have access to a fractioning column. If not, sorry that this isnt much of a viable source to you.

Edit: There are also petroleum distillates too which may pose a problem.

http://www.jasco-help.com/uploads/general/Jasco_Brush_Cleane...

The toluene content isn't also less than 36%...

[Edited on 3-21-2017 by A Halogenated Substance]

macckone - 21-3-2017 at 20:12

There are laws concerning VOCs in the US.
VOCs are more restricted in major metro areas.
For example, in Denver DCM and Toluene containing
solvent solutions are restricted but if you go to
smaller stores in more rural areas you can get both.

Texium - 21-3-2017 at 20:28

Ace in Texas sells KleanStrip toluene by the gallon. I've tested it and it appears to be virtually thiophene free too, quite pure enough for most uses without any purification.

macckone - 21-3-2017 at 21:12

Is that in austin proper or in the outskirts?

JJay - 21-3-2017 at 22:11

I have not tested the Sherwin Williams toluene for thiophene, but it's on the long list of experiments I plan to do at some point. I would expect it probably contains some thiophene, but it might not. I have used less than 100 mL of my 1 gallon can so far.

Melgar - 21-3-2017 at 23:47

Toluene isn't hard to find in Pennsylvania. I got mine from an auto body shop near Erie. Granted, I had to ask for it specifically, then wait for the order to come in, but it was easier to do that than hop from one store to another checking the paint thinner aisles. But yeah, any hardware store that isn't Home Depot or Lowe's is probably a lot more likely to have it. Large-ish hardware stores and lumber yards in rural areas are ideal.

PirateDocBrown - 22-3-2017 at 00:34

No problem in Minnesota.

highpower48 - 22-3-2017 at 10:42

Up until last year could still buy it in quart containers at Lowe's and Home Depot here in NC. Almost seemed like it was on shelf and next day gone. Should of bought a good supply but didn't because it seemed easy to get. By the way price was around $7.00 a quart.

Db33 - 22-3-2017 at 10:48

Ace hardware... only place in Virginia to get it.

Texium - 22-3-2017 at 11:05

Quote: Originally posted by macckone  
Is that in austin proper or in the outskirts?
Outskirts, I haven't looked for it in Austin proper so I couldn't say for sure if they sell it there.

Amos - 22-3-2017 at 11:25

Depending on when and where you last accessed Ace Hardware's site, they might not list it online, but I've still seen it at each one I've visited in Louisville, KY. I guess we're a reasonably metropolitan place.

[Edited on 3-22-2017 by Amos]

Acuyo - 22-3-2017 at 12:57

I've been told it's a preferred 'Inhalant' style intoxicant.

If that's the reason they stopped selling it -- what makes them think someone willing to inhale toluene for a high, wouldn't just move on to some other inhalant?

I don't understand what's so special about toluene, but then I don't inhale it either so wtfidk I need some damned toluene (for my boat, I truly swear; it gets to 110f here, often.)

[Edited on 23-3-2017 by Acuyo]

metalresearcher - 25-3-2017 at 04:04

Paint thinner (not turpentine) is almost pure toluene, but I don't know what purity you require.

Melgar - 25-3-2017 at 07:46

Quote: Originally posted by metalresearcher  
Paint thinner (not turpentine) is almost pure toluene, but I don't know what purity you require.

Paint thinner is always the deliberately-vague "petroleum distillates", and is usually similar in composition to kerosene. They can put virtually any inexpensive hydrocarbon in that stuff though.

zed - 26-3-2017 at 14:51

Toluene? Yeah. It's around. But, often not openly displayed on the shelves. Younglings tend to steal it.

Bought some in Portland, a few years ago. Signed for it.

It was kept in an "Employee Access Only" room, for security reasons.

Phosphor-ing - 30-3-2017 at 01:42

Quote: Originally posted by zts16  
Ace in Texas sells KleanStrip toluene by the gallon. I've tested it and it appears to be virtually thiophene free too, quite pure enough for most uses without any purification.

I distilled Kleen Strip toluene and found water the only impurity in any significant quantities. It's a low boiling azeotrope so easy to separate.

alking - 30-3-2017 at 06:44

I assumed it had something to do with using it as a precursor to TNT or maybe benzene -> benzaldehyde -> Phenyl-2-Nitropropene -> Amphetamine/Methamphetamine, though I'm not sure how common that route really is in the US. I kind of pulled that out of my ass, but what else could it be? That seems more likely than some huffing epidemic haha.

Elemental Phosphorus - 30-3-2017 at 07:00

Toluene is a DEA List 2 chemical, but it is sold by the gallon at Ace, as has already been said. In the unlikely scenario that you absolutely cannot find it, NurdRage made a video on obtaining it via fractional distillation of lacquer thinner. It is also available on Ebay if that helps.

Gurt - 5-4-2017 at 21:06

Around my area of Iowa and Wisconsin it can be found easily. Mom & Pop hardware stores and such still sell it by the gallon in almost any town. If you can't find it at a big box store, check some smaller shops. Otherwise as stated before, there's always Ebay and other online sources.

Cryolite. - 5-4-2017 at 21:57

Sadly, over here in California I have not been so fortunate :( I can't find toluene on the shelves here anywhere. I have been able to find an acceptable source, though-- a certain fuel additive sold here contains ~50% toluene and 50% water-partitioning ketones and alcohols. Washing out the junk with water, drying with a Dean Stark and fractionally distilling gives a fairly reasonable yield of clean toluene. I can't speak for the thiophene content, though.

Gurt - 5-4-2017 at 22:47

Luckily thiophenes can be removed rather easily. Vogel has a relatively simple process listed in Practical Organic Chemistry, using concentrated H2SO4.

Rhodanide - 4-5-2017 at 08:49

I know Ace Hardware carries it, and it's available by the gallon can up here in ME.

TheNerdyFarmer - 4-5-2017 at 09:59

I know they still have it here in Virginia. Check your luck in places like privately owned paint shops and hardware stores. Most chain places do not sell it. However if you need paint stripper, acetone is sold almost anywhere in Virginia for something like $12 a gallon.

Phosphor-ing - 5-5-2017 at 03:23

I was in Ace Hardware the other day and saw a 5 gallon barrel of Toulene. I haven't seen that before. Oh, that's in Georgia.

Eyeborg - 6-5-2017 at 08:44

I think Sherwin Williams sells it, but you have to specifically ask for it. Smaller local paint stores might just sell it to you. There are also many OTC paint/lacquer thinners that contain ~60% toluene, some more than others, if you want to bother with fractionally distilling it.

macckone - 6-5-2017 at 20:28

Gasoline is around 6% toluene if you are really desperate.
I am fairly certain there is no shortage of that in most
developed countries.

Mabus - 7-5-2017 at 08:11

Check shoe repair shops, they usually have toluene.

macckone - 7-5-2017 at 08:18

various glues and glue removers also contain toluene.

Melgar - 7-5-2017 at 11:23

Quote: Originally posted by macckone  
various glues and glue removers also contain toluene.

Yes, the point is, none of us want to have to resort to that. Toluene isn't illegal, but because there are people out there who would get high sniffing it, a few major national chains have pulled it from shelves because they don't want the liability. However, local body shops will sell it to you if you ask, assuming you don't seem like the glue-sniffing type. They may have to order it, but I'd be surprised if you can't find a place that will sell it locally.

Bryce - 19-5-2017 at 10:04

I purchased some toluene at a hardware store on Long Island the other week. Unfortunately they only had it in the gallon size. I just needed to clean up some stuff with it, no particular chemical purpose in mind for it, and would have much rather have purchased a smaller container. Oh well, I have a flammables cabinet to put it in, so no worries.

charley1957 - 3-11-2017 at 07:26

In Texas toluene is sold at Lowe’s, Home Depot, Ace hardware, and some mom and pop hardware stores. Also MEK and acetone.