Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Help Needed Dealing with FTP

Sauron - 6-1-2007 at 13:41

I installed CuteFTP 8 while awaiting MadHatter's permissions to access his ftp server. No problems. Tested it by accessing the site of the publisher, worked like a charm

MadHatter graciously came through with the details and I set up the account and connected.

However rather than getting the familiar drectory tree and file list I am getting a blank field and an error message that says "Command Not Implemented For That Parameter"

So what am I doing wrong?

Help, please. I don't want to pester MadHatter about this, anyone else have a clue?

[Edited on 6-1-2007 by Sauron]

The_Davster - 6-1-2007 at 14:03

In my experience, each individual FTP can be finicky with regards to client used. Axehandle's FTP I can access in firefox or internet explorer, wheras Madhatters would not work with these and I installed Filezilla. I just logged on using Filezilla without problems.

Sauron - 6-1-2007 at 14:33

Thanks. I am using IE and now have been able to get in. It seems I was asking for an initial directory that does not exist (/pub) and that obviously does not go.

All seems to be OK now, looks like a nice candy counter.

Cheers

Sauron - 6-1-2007 at 23:41

Well I succesfully downloaded my first file from the MadHatter FTP site. I am very grateful to all of you for your assistance.

Any suggestions on how to speed up FTP file transfers?

My FTP client is CuteFTP 8.

solo - 28-4-2007 at 14:43

I run on Mac OSX and have been able to go into axhandle's FTP without any problem using Fetch, recently I had been looking for Friefelders book and wasn't able access , it did everything ok but just never openend up the files index.....has anyone had any problems with Axhandle's FTP or is it just me .........thanks,.......solo

Eclectic - 28-4-2007 at 15:59

I'm having problems getting a directory listing with Filezilla on my new Vista notebook. As far as I know I have all the Vista nannyware turned off and DMZ enabled in my router. I haven't checked any other FTP sites yet though...

S.C. Wack - 28-4-2007 at 16:53

Doesn't work with smartftp either, which is what I always used there.

Eclectic - 29-4-2007 at 18:37

The problem appears after the PASV command. I turned off passive mode in Filezilla and was able to get a directory listing.