Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Where to buy a 50 Liter Magnetic Hotplate Stirrer?

HardAsSteel - 8-5-2017 at 03:45

I do essential Oil distillation under vacuum and can not find any
50 Liter Magnetic Hotplate Stirrer , attention HOTPLATE magnetic stirrer.
they are always limited to 20 Liter.

there are normal Magnetic Stirrers for big volumes but always without hotplate.

where can I buy a 50 Liter Magnetic Hotplate Stirrer in europe?

Elemental Phosphorus - 8-5-2017 at 04:34

You could buy a 50 liter heating mantle, and put it on top of a 50 liter magnetic stirrer. You said you already found a stirrer, here is a listing for a 50 liter mantle:
For a steam distillation at that scale, I would recommend a fabricated metal still, a motorized mechanical stirrer, and a oil or sand bath for heating. If you get a metal still, then you could also heat by direct flame.

http://www.neobits.com/ace_glass_12050_41_50l_low_pro_mantle...

HardAsSteel - 8-5-2017 at 04:59

this would be a vacuum distillation, I can not find any air tight overhead stirrers which fit on my vessle for the vaccum distillation

Praxichys - 8-5-2017 at 06:23

Why stir a vacuum distillation when you could just use an ebulliator? Pull a very thin tip on piece of glass tube (probably 3 of them for 50L) and keep them submerged in the liquid and the other end open to the atmosphere. The vacuum will pull air through the tube at a very slow rate (assuming you made the tip small enough) and prevent bumping.

vacdist-zubrick.gif - 4kB

HardAsSteel - 8-5-2017 at 07:05

[Edited on 8-5-2017 by HardAsSteel]

lab-equip - 8-5-2017 at 07:09

You are going to use a big rare metal magnetic stirbar!

PirateDocBrown - 8-5-2017 at 11:53

Quote: Originally posted by Praxichys  
Why stir a vacuum distillation when you could just use an ebulliator? Pull a very thin tip on piece of glass tube (probably 3 of them for 50L) and keep them submerged in the liquid and the other end open to the atmosphere. The vacuum will pull air through the tube at a very slow rate (assuming you made the tip small enough) and prevent bumping.

Yes, exactly! I have had good results just using a Pasteur pipette. And the clamp is used to control the gas flow. This can easily be used with an inert gas, if needed.

BILLBUILDS - 13-5-2017 at 17:58

www.alibaba.com