Sciencemadness Discussion Board

N,N-Dimethylamphetamine byproduct

HollowMan - 24-6-2017 at 07:11

Hello,

I just read some articles on erowid about the illicit synthesis of amphetamine/methamphetamine and the occurring byproducts.

I was wondering, how N,N-dimethylamphetamine can arise during a P2P reductive amination process.

Does anyone of you can tell me the way how the dimethylation works?

If u just have P2P, MeNH2, MeOH, NaOH und AlHg as a starting material I can´t explain it to me.

Thanks so far

UC235 - 24-6-2017 at 09:23

People use shitty impure methylamine made from hexamine. Recrystallization is needed to remove all of the dimethylammonium chloride and ammonium chloride.

HollowMan - 24-6-2017 at 17:46

Quote: Originally posted by UC235  
People use shitty impure methylamine made from hexamine. Recrystallization is needed to remove all of the dimethylammonium chloride and ammonium chloride.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3662403/table/t...

I don´t think they used shitty impure methylamine in this experiment. But of course the amount is also really low...

tsathoggua1 - 25-6-2017 at 11:28

Wouldn't worry too much about low levels of N,N-dimethylamphetamine. Its known to be an active stimulant, although much weaker than the secondary or primary amine counterparts. With the phenethylamine world, a tert. amine generally leads to lesser activity either in the case of N-methylated amphetamines, with the main exceptions of methylenedioxy ring substitution and ring-alkoxylated methlyenedioxyphenylaminopropenes. And the simple stimulants, N-alkylamphetamines retain activity, but it lowers as the chain length increases, IIRC N-(iso)propylamphetamine is something like a quarter of the potency of plain amphetamine. N-ethyl seems to be about the sweet spot, its not as weight-potent as meth but very smooth stuff.

A tertiary amine however, both for stimulants and psychedelic phenethylamine/amphetamine 5HT2a agonists doesn't seem to be tolerated, it is to a degree with the simple stimulants but usually results in a dramatic loss of psychedelic activity.

Although, in the case of cyclized indane derivatives the N-methylated derivative of 2-aminoindan is active and I'd say stronger than 2-aminoindan. Both are, however, mediocre at best in my estimation, having a fair degree of peripheral adrenergic type activity. Bit rough, not hideously so but still, I didn't consider it worth repeating.