Sciencemadness Discussion Board

A question of units for chemical potential

Island Jafa - 9-9-2017 at 06:57

I have come across text and tables showing values of chemical potentials in a unit which I am not familiar with.
The symbol used is "G" instead of the usual SI unit "J"!
Could anyone help me out with this inquiry please?

SWIM - 9-9-2017 at 07:08

Is that the Gibbs free energy number?

I think that's more or less a measure like J, but my thermodynamics is pretty shaky.

@Unionised, okay, apparently VERY shaky. Must crack some books.

[Edited on 9-9-2017 by SWIM]

unionised - 9-9-2017 at 07:13

Calling the Giibs free energy G and measuring it in Joules is like calling time T and measuring it in seconds.

G and T are symbols, not units.

Island Jafa - 9-9-2017 at 08:08

I am aware of the difference between the Gibbs free energy symbol which is shown as DELTA G or DELTA F and its SI unit (J), but the tables and the text that I came across were quite specific about the units.
As a matter of fact the column heading Mu gave unit as (kG) and for another quantity , ALFA; (G/K) which in a normal format would have been (kJ) and (J/K).

Island Jafa - 9-9-2017 at 08:13

I am aware of the difference between the Gibbs free energy symbol which is shown as DELTA G or DELTA F and its SI unit (J), but the tables and the text that I came across were quite specific about the units.
As a matter of fact the column heading Mu gave unit as (kG) and for another quantity , ALFA; (G/K) which in a normal format would have been (kJ) and (J/K).